Lima Senior to join Toledo City League

In conclusion:
Lima would win only a football game or two whether in the old NLL, the new NLL or the GMC but the scores would be closer in the NLL.

Everyone happy?

As for their new situation, I'm thinking they are one traffic accident or audit away from closing down TPS sports again, which would seem the plan of the departing NLL members all along.
I moved to Toledo decades ago (and left decades ago). It seemed the football season(s) before I arrived fights before, during and after games were Friday night staples in the City League. It was not a kinder, gentler time. The big newspaper at that time, The Blade, tried to do its part by offering to step up its game in covering high school sports if the City League (the nine public schools plus St. Francis, Central Catholic and Stritch) played their league games on Friday afternoons or Saturday mornings. The one exception was St. Francis vs. Central Catholic on a Sunday afternoon in The Glass Bowl. St. John's wasn't in existence then. This was before state football playoffs came to be in Ohio. The City League teams had to play all of their non-league games on the road. So, at least the publics went to the Sanduskys, Findlays, Lorains and the like to take their beatings and come home with a paycheck. Obviously, no return games the following year.
Whitmer was above the fray and not inside the Toledo city limits or the CIty League and therefore played its home games under Friday Night Lights. I guess there was nothing quite like getting up on a frosty October morning to see, for instance, 1-6 Woodward vs. 2-5 Waite for those who had/wanted to be there.
This, after reading perhaps the only metropolitan sports section dominated by high school football game stories from the day/night before.
My question: Decades later, are the TPS still under these constrictions?

I moved to Toledo decades ago (and left decades ago). It seemed the football season(s) before I arrived fights before, during and after games were Friday night staples in the City League. It was not a kinder, gentler time. The big newspaper at that time, The Blade, tried to do its part by offering to step up its game in covering high school sports if the City League (the nine public schools plus St. Francis, Central Catholic and Stritch) played their league games on Friday afternoons or Saturday mornings. The one exception was St. Francis vs. Central Catholic on a Sunday afternoon in The Glass Bowl. St. John's wasn't in existence then. This was before state football playoffs came to be in Ohio. The City League teams had to play all of their non-league games on the road. So, at least the publics went to the Sanduskys, Findlays, Lorains and the like to take their beatings and come home with a paycheck. Obviously, no return games the following year.
Whitmer was above the fray and not inside the Toledo city limits or the CIty League and therefore played its home games under Friday Night Lights. I guess there was nothing quite like getting up on a frosty October morning to see, for instance, 1-6 Woodward vs. 2-5 Waite for those who had/wanted to be there.
This, after reading perhaps the only metropolitan sports section dominated by high school football game stories from the day/night before.
They hold night games. After some fighting, some games were moved earlier. Case by case I guess. Mid 70s I do recall police cars lined up around the stadium when Scott came in to play. I was pretty oblivious to the bigger world, no idea what was happening in other parts of town.

Wow, you just dated yourself. Pre-SJ. Wow.

The Toledo City League has evolved quite a bit since you were here. They did move all games to Saturday afternoon for a time. That all went away in the 80's. DeVilbiss, Macomber, & Libbey are all gone now. They play at night, minus maybe Woodward at home. No more fights as Marijuana is passed out at the gate. Concessions are through the roof though.

The Toledo City League has evolved quite a bit since you were here. They did move all games to Saturday afternoon for a time. That all went away in the 80's. DeVilbiss, Macomber, & Libbey are all gone now. They play at night, minus maybe Woodward at home. No more fights as Marijuana is passed out at the gate. Concessions are through the roof though.
Old age is a privilege not granted to everybody. Yeah, no SJ. I lived in the area where SJ is. Last time I was there was about 13 years ago. Not surprised how built up it is on both sides of the freeway and Airport Highway. One other blast from the past about the City League back then.
It was divided into the Red and Blue Divisions. Division winners met for the league championship, again on a Sunday afternoon in the Glass Bowl.
Seemed like it was always St. Francis vs. Central Catholic. The league scheduled cross-division games on the fly for the other teams so they could get a 10th game on their schedules.

Separate topic, but Zavier Simpson got called up to OKC today.
Nice beginning for Zavier tonight. He started the game and ended up playing 44 minutes as OKC beat the Trailblazers 98-94.
Simpson scored 10 points, had 5 assists, 3 rebounds, a steal and 2 blocks. Scored first points of the game, hit a couple of his patented hook shots and scored a reverse layup on wicked baseline drive. Check it out on the ESPN website. With OKC being eliminated from any post-season play he should get lots of playing time in the short time remaining in the regular season.

JB

Last edited:
Fremont, also. My very first game at Harmon Stadium, Week 2 1980, Ross had 15 penalties for 225 yards and still won 41-0 against DeVilbiss

Old age is a privilege not granted to everybody. Yeah, no SJ. I lived in the area where SJ is. Last time I was there was about 13 years ago. Not surprised how built up it is on both sides of the freeway and Airport Highway. One other blast from the past about the City League back then.
It was divided into the Red and Blue Divisions. Division winners met for the league championship, again on a Sunday afternoon in the Glass Bowl.
Seemed like it was always St. Francis vs. Central Catholic. The league scheduled cross-division games on the fly for the other teams so they could get a 10th game on their schedules.
Show Bowl.png

Thanks. The passage of time sometimes dims the memory. My Toledo years for 1967-1976, so I see St. John's was around then. I'm surprised the public schools did better than I thought, not necessarily winning but actually appearing in the games. Was 1990 the last year for a City League championship game?

Thanks. The passage of time sometimes dims the memory. My Toledo years for 1967-1976, so I see St. John's was around then. I'm surprised the public schools did better than I thought, not necessarily winning but actually appearing in the games. Was 1990 the last year for a City League championship game?

Last year it was called Shoe Bowl. I got that graphic from here

Play-offs were cutting into the importance and also I believe the timing of the game. '84' for example was the year SFS won the state championship. Scott and Libbey were in the Shoe Bowl. Mid 80s, I think Whitmer was getting the bid. I don't recall if SFS or Central had any big stars? Webb was at Macomber. Butt blocker Jeremy Lincoln at Devilbiss. The great Rick Rios at Rogers. Gucciardo was QBing at Whitmer.

Last edited:
Last year it was called Shoe Bowl. I got that graphic from here

Play-offs were cutting into the importance and also I believe the timing of the game. '84' for example was the year SFS won the state championship. Scott and Libbey were in the Shoe Bowl. Mid 80s, I think Whitmer was getting the bid. I don't recall if SFS or Central had any big stars? Webb was at Macomber. Butt blocker Jeremy Lincoln at Devilbiss. The great Rick Rios at Rogers. Gucciardo was QBing at Whitmer.
Those names must've been from after I left town. The only football names I can recall were the subject of kidding I had with a co-worker who was of German ancestry. I don't remember if they were with City League teams or suburban schools. Thery were all skill position players who were often in the headlines. There was an Eggersdorfer, a Niederhauser, a Shingledecker and one other one with a four-syllable Germanic name who I can't remember. I used to tell my co-worker that if they were all on the same team it would be one heckuva backfield. The basketball names I remember were Terry Crosby, Truman Claytor, Donald Collins and there's probably someone on coach Burt Spice's post-Abe Steward/Eddie Trail teams has escaped my mind. I don't know what happened subsequently but the late 60s/early70s may have been the Golden Age of Toledo City League basketball.

Those names must've been from after I left town. The only football names I can recall were the subject of kidding I had with a co-worker who was of German ancestry. I don't remember if they were with City League teams or suburban schools. Thery were all skill position players who were often in the headlines.

There was an Eggersdorfer, a Niederhauser, a Shingledecker and one other one with a four-syllable Germanic name who I can't remember. I used to tell my co-worker that if they were all on the same team it would be one heckuva backfield.

The basketball names I remember were Terry Crosby, Truman Claytor, Donald Collins and there's probably someone on coach Burt Spice's post-Abe Steward/Eddie Trail teams has escaped my mind. I don't know what happened subsequently but the late 60s/early70s may have been the Golden Age of Toledo City League basketball.

I don't recall those football names. They sound like Oregon type names. Federici? I believe those football names and those basketball names are from different generations. The basketball players were all after Steward/Eddie Trail (late 60s). They were mid-70s and you're missing Kelvin Ransey who was better than all the named players.

Last edited: