June Summer Ball

Winning the 4 team GCL South is only relevant to those four teams (a 4 team conference?)…the question is districts and regionals…and state. There are several teams in the region in D1 that look very strong…some with transfers…some with solid undergrads. I reserve judgement on all of this till the state tournament gets underway in February 2024…then show me what you have…past is not prologue.
I agree with you about the GCL South - I’m not a Moeller fan and my team plays in the other part of the GCL so an unbiased opinion.

I think some of the public D1 schools in Southwest Ohio are, for the most part, challenging and surpassing their Catholic school counterparts.

I agree with you about the GCL South - I’m not a Moeller fan and my team plays in the other part of the GCL so an unbiased opinion.

I think some of the public D1 schools in Southwest Ohio are, for the most part, challenging and surpassing their Catholic school counterparts.
I would tend to agree, but the GCL has very good coaches that have been around the block a time or two. You're not wrong in your assessment, but these coaches can win with all kinds of talent.

Moeller was significantly more talented that Elder and Lasalle last year too and they still split the GCL title with them.
Not sure I agree with this. Talent can also be playing within yourself and within the team. Elder had two D2 players and a solid team dynamic.

Oak Hills will contend for the GMC title. They are as good as they have been since the Batte/Rudy years. They play incredibly hard and have had a great summer.

I watched them a few times last season and they were very disciplined and played good defense. I didn’t see a ton of talent.

I’ve heard they have looked sloppy this summer and really struggle against quicker teams.
They're full of 6'6" guys up to 6'9" guys; and their best player is a 6'4" wing; they're going to be

Oak Hills will contend for the GMC title. They are as good as they have been since the Batte/Rudy years. They play incredibly hard and have had a great summer.
I'm sorry but I've got to just say no chance on this one. Could they finish in the top half of the league ... Sure! But to actually have the best record, equally the best record, or only be 1 or 2 games behind the top dog I don't see it.
Fairfield has more talent, Princeton more talent, Mason will be solid still, Both Lakotas ... even teams like Middletown and Hamilton could create problems for Oak Hills. Not to mention Sycamore has the best player in the league!
Yeah they'll play good team basketball and well coached but I see them as quite average with regards to talent. Who is the Batte or Rudy for this group? ... I don't think they have one.

They're full of 6'6" guys up to 6'9" guys; and their best player is a 6'4" wing; they're going to be
As many know Size in basketball is not nearly as important as "athleticism" or "skill". 1. Skill, 2. Athleticism, 3. size in that order in my book. X has as much size as anyone in the state, but they aren't anywhere close to the top teams with regards to basketball related athleticism and skill. They'll be good but they still have a lot of growth ahead of them like many teams.

Based on what? Did they get a couple transfers in?

They were very average last year and lost their best player to graduation. I agree they have the potential to be better with some younger talent, but none of those guys are proven yet at the varsity level. And I'm not sure they're near the top of the talent tier individually in the GMC.

If those young kids figure it out St. X could be scary good!!! They have everything you need to contend for a state championship.
Again, based on what? They were very average this past season, and their roster did not scream "talent". Waleskowski is very good, and a couple of other decent pieces, but state champ level? Not happening.

X has a chance to be really good if they can find a PG. If not, they will lose to the upper echelon teams who can get after it defensively. And it doesn't hurt that they have one of Cincinnat's all time great coaches helping on the bench.

X has a chance to be really good if they can find a PG. If not, they will lose to the upper echelon teams who can get after it defensively. And it doesn't hurt that they have one of Cincinnat's all time great coaches helping on the bench.
200.gif

If you don't think that you clearly don't know hoops and should stop posting. Gotta love the clueless clowns.
The issue with what you're saying though is "if" they get a high level PG ... a decent HS PG won't put them over the top I don't think which is what I think you're saying, and they probably have someone they can develop into that. Several teams are "1 player" away from being great. That's why Centerville and Moeller have been so great, because they weren't missing that "1 guy" who would put them over the top as they had everything that they needed to win the whole thing.

The issue with what you're saying though is "if" they get a high level PG ... a decent HS PG won't put them over the top I don't think which is what I think you're saying, and they probably have someone they can develop into that. Several teams are "1 player" away from being great. That's why Centerville and Moeller have been so great, because they weren't missing that "1 guy" who would put them over the top as they had everything that they needed to win the whole thing.
I'm saying the guards on their team THIS year won't allow them to make a deep run. Could one surprise, sure, but not likely to the level needed. And everyone in the city knows why Moe has continuously been good, that ain't no secret. And Centerville has had an influx of out of district players so there is that too.

Dan Fleming has been helping a bunch of teams the last few years. None of those teams made it out of the region.

It will certainly help at St X, but X doesn't have the depth of basketball athletes and talent that make them state title contenders. They will be improved because they had some good players on JV, but cmon, they were below average last year and came in dead last in the GCL and were barely .500.

Unless they had an influx of transfer talent come in, junior Fleming isn't going to turn them into a state contender just by the presence of him and his dad. They are likely still 3rd or 4th in the GCL this coming year.

Dan Fleming has been helping a bunch of teams the last few years. None of those teams made it out of the region.

It will certainly help at St X, but X doesn't have the depth of basketball athletes and talent that make them state title contenders. They will be improved because they had some good players on JV, but cmon, they were below average last year and came in dead last in the GCL and were barely .500.

Unless they had an influx of transfer talent come in, junior Fleming isn't going to turn them into a state contender just by the presence of him and his dad. They are likely still 3rd or 4th in the GCL this coming year.
It's not Fleming's dad, it's Martin that's going to help big time. Still one of the best coaches in the city hands down. Junior Fleming couldn't have a better crutch to lean on while navigating the GCL. Like I mentioned above, a legit PG is what's going to hold them back this year but they could surprise. And watch out moving forward, the administration finally opened their eyes and will now make money available for kids. Just like Moe and LaSalle have been doing forever.

Based on what? Did they get a couple transfers in?

They were very average last year and lost their best player to graduation. I agree they have the potential to be better with some younger talent, but none of those guys are proven yet at the varsity level. And I'm not sure they're near the top of the talent tier individually in the GMC.
Transfer from Princeton that played 1/2 season of JV ball last year and had to sit. He is really good. Bobby their big man is playing really well and all of the other young guys are a year older. Trust me, they have the makings of being very good. Definitely top 10 in the city and will compete and win some of the upper tier GMC games. I see them as an 11-5 or 10-6 GMC team which would put them anywhere from 2-4 in the league. This will be a year when there will be no dominant team in the city or region.

Transfer from Princeton that played 1/2 season of JV ball last year and had to sit. He is really good. Bobby their big man is playing really well and all of the other young guys are a year older. Trust me, they have the makings of being very good. Definitely top 10 in the city and will compete and win some of the upper tier GMC games. I see them as an 11-5 or 10-6 GMC team which would put them anywhere from 2-4 in the league. This will be a year when there will be no dominant team in the city or region.
How would you stack them up against Elder?

I know some in Elder's camp are nervous that Oak Hills may have some comparable talent in football and basketball. I don't believe it for football, but basketball may be a different story.

How would you stack them up against Elder?

I know some in Elder's camp are nervous that Oak Hills may have some comparable talent in football and basketball. I don't believe it for football, but basketball may be a different story.
I think they are better than Elder, but Elder had a much better June than people thought they would. I think OH is deeper but starting 5 are pretty comparable. Game is being played at OH this year so that will give them an advantage.