June Summer Ball

What are you guys biggest takeaways after week 1 of June HS summer ball??? I had a chance to watch Princeton play a couple of times last week and I think they have a chance to be really good this season. They was missing the 6'8 transfer from Taft but they have a stable full of guards that compete. They do a really good job of running their offense and they get after you on defense. I thought the Jaiden Arnold transfer (Aiken) would hurt them until seeing them. *Sidenote* Aiken didn't look very good! 🙃
It's June it means absolutely nothing anybody could play for anybody and the teams are completely different.

How can a team be well coached in June with a new coach unless they've been practicing every day, which along with all these games, is illegal?

It's silly to make any judgements in summer. Some teams have been practicing since the end of the season, and other teams are just managing to put enough guys on the floor for one reason or another.
If you can't tell when a team is well coached regardless of the season I don't know what to tell you bub... Some teams managing to put enough guys on the floor is not my problem! I also agree summer is somewhat of a crapshoot.

CJ Homer post LOL... Centerville, Fairfield, Wayne, Princeton, Alter it's a lot of good teams in SWO.
I admit it LOL. I do enjoy watching area basketball in general. Centerville and Fairfield will still be good but not as good as last year. My loyalties aside, Princeton might be the team to beat (right now anyway). I’m not completely sold on Alter being a powerhouse. I heard they looked good against Fairmont and St X but the guard play was a little shaky. Same with St X; I heard they played undisciplined and very sloppy.

I admit it LOL. I do enjoy watching area basketball in general. Centerville and Fairfield will still be good but not as good as last year. My loyalties aside, Princeton might be the team to beat (right now anyway). I’m not completely sold on Alter being a powerhouse. I heard they looked good against Fairmont and St X but the guard play was a little shaky. Same with St X; I heard they played undisciplined and very sloppy.
Yeah I think Princeton is the top of the mountain right now but we shall see how the summer shakes out with more player movement

CJ Homer post LOL... Centerville, Fairfield, Wayne, Princeton, Alter it's a lot of good teams in SWO.
You are high on Alter? I wasn't impressed with them at OH...but it is June!

I think Fairfield will be the best team in SWO by next February, good young talent and I have always been impressed with their coaching.

X has a new coach. I'm sure he's letting way too many kids get minutes to give everyone a fair shot.

The shortlist of Teams that I think will/could occupy the 4 District spots in SWO D1 with a short explanation of why

Dayton Area
-Centerville (star power, culture, coaching)
-Fairmont (proven system)
Cincinnati Area
-Moeller (talent, culture)
-Fairfield (talent, culture)
-Princeton (talent, proven system)
-East (star power, culture, proven system)

Maybes: LaSalle, St. X, Mason

Feel free to let me know your thoughts and opinions. This is based off a little I've seen this summer but mostly off what I know is going to be on the court for these teams this year as well as who occupies the sideline.

team to watch in future: West

The shortlist of Teams that I think will/could occupy the 4 District spots in SWO D1 with a short explanation of why

Dayton Area
-Centerville (star power, culture, coaching)
-Fairmont (proven system)
Cincinnati Area
-Moeller (talent, culture)
-Fairfield (talent, culture)
-Princeton (talent, proven system)
-East (star power, culture, proven system)

Maybes: LaSalle, St. X, Mason

Feel free to let me know your thoughts and opinions. This is based off a little I've seen this summer but mostly off what I know is going to be on the court for these teams this year as well as who occupies the sideline.

team to watch in future: West
I agree with Cincinnati except with East I am not sure Trey will be able to do it alone don't think the supporting cast can push them further. Look for some young teams to make some noise this is as wide open as Cincinnati has been in a long time

No so sure about Moeller. They seem to have some talent, but they are lacking the it factor. Something is missing with that group. I do think they will win GCL but not sure they are a regional threat. I think LaSalle actually will be second best, followed closely by X/Elder. I don't think any of the GCL teams will get to a regioanl bracket.

For my money, I think the city's best team all fall within the GMC this upcoming year (not including Dayton where obviously Centerville is in the mix).

Aiken plays hard and they are reasonably deep. The team that is going to win more games than they have in years… is St, Bernard. Several transfers and that coach, coaches his butt off for those kids.
Just saw this video posted of J. Arnold. He's going to definitely lead them to more wins this season. Hope the gels and contends for a league title.

No so sure about Moeller. They seem to have some talent, but they are lacking the it factor. Something is missing with that group. I do think they will win GCL but not sure they are a regional threat. I think LaSalle actually will be second best, followed closely by X/Elder. I don't think any of the GCL teams will get to a regioanl bracket.

For my money, I think the city's best team all fall within the GMC this upcoming year (not including Dayton where obviously Centerville is in the mix).
If you're saying win the regional I'd agree as I don't think they're at the top of that list of schools. With regards to winning a district I think they have more than enough to be in a position to pull that off. A lot of this falls on Mcbride as he's shown flashes of that "it" factor you talked about, but he's dealing with injury at the moment.

Just saw this video posted of J. Arnold. He's going to definitely lead them to more wins this season. Hope the gels and contends for a league title.
They will win more games for sure, Jaiden will have a great season, but it will be a lot different when the season is going and teams are watching film and preparing to play them

Moeller played at Xavier one weekend and at NKU I believe last weekend. They have also been doing summer leagues games at Moeller twice a week. I know they have played Newport , Lakota East , Turpin , and Alter. I don't put much into summer results due to you never know which players are there for either team. Also with Moeller they use 2 varsity teams during summer so its a mixed bag of who is playing. In their summer league games they always play a JV game first then varsity. I do know that coming up the next 2 weeks they have Wyoming, Lakota West and Fairfield. I am not sure what next season will look like due to McBride injury plus however they set their minutes and rotation. I do think there is good chance that Mahaffey steps up and has a better season than most people expect. I just don't know if they have a "star " player to go to in crunch time .

Moeller played at Xavier one weekend and at NKU I believe last weekend. They have also been doing summer leagues games at Moeller twice a week. I know they have played Newport , Lakota East , Turpin , and Alter. I don't put much into summer results due to you never know which players are there for either team. Also with Moeller they use 2 varsity teams during summer so its a mixed bag of who is playing. In their summer league games they always play a JV game first then varsity. I do know that coming up the next 2 weeks they have Wyoming, Lakota West and Fairfield. I am not sure what next season will look like due to McBride injury plus however they set their minutes and rotation. I do think there is good chance that Mahaffey steps up and has a better season than most people expect. I just don't know if they have a "star " player to go to in crunch time .
Interesting, Yeah AJ being hurt sucks for him and for Moeller I do think Kramer needs to open up the offense a little more because there are guys capable of being the "star"

Moeller is loaded with up and coming players. They will win the GCL easily next season.

You actually get 13 days this year.
LOL. If you think anyone is following that rule, you aren’t supposed to get it. If you ain’t cheating, you ain’t competing. It’s become a mockery in football and basketball. It’s sad, but that’s the reality. OHSAA doesn’t have the personnel to monitor this and they probably not care. The administration lets this go and you wonder why kids get burned out. Oh well, it is what it is.

Moeller is loaded with up and coming players. They will win the GCL easily next season.
Winning the 4 team GCL South is only relevant to those four teams (a 4 team conference?)…the question is districts and regionals…and state. There are several teams in the region in D1 that look very strong…some with transfers…some with solid undergrads. I reserve judgement on all of this till the state tournament gets underway in February 2024…then show me what you have…past is not prologue.