Jayland Walker (Akron cancels Rib, White, & Blue Festival July 1-4)

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
The city of Akron on Thursday announced that it canceled the Rib, White, & Blue Festival originally scheduled for July 1-4 at Lock 3. The cancelation is due to the early Monday morning police shooting that killed 25-year-old Akron resident Jayland Walker, the city told cleveland.com in an email.

All vendors and musical acts will be notified and compensated, and Lock 3 will have no activities or entertainment over the holiday weekend, according to the city.

Pretty drastic move by the city. Rib, White, & Blue Festival is a pretty big event in Akron. There must be more to the story. I would have to think there must be some hint of a possible violent demonstration. Akron public image is taking a beating recently.
What we know about the fatal Akron police shooting of Jayland WalkerA summary of what we know about Akron police's shooting of Jayland Walker, 25, …
Walker’s shooting is the third fatal shooting by Akron police since Dec. 23. The prior two cases remain under investigation.

"Police said Jayland Walker, 25, of Akron, refused to stop, then fired at officers who tried to pull him over for traffic and equipment violations early Monday morning."

Live like a thug, die like a thug.
"Refusing to stop for police or evading a police officer is a criminal act, defined as not stopping when told to by a police officer. It does not matter whether the police officer verbally instructs a person to stop or flashes their lights. However the officer signals a person to stop, not pulling over for the police is a crime."

What is so hard to understand? A criminal act.

Shooting at cops gets you exactly what you deserve, probably should have extra fireworks to solute the outstanding work done by police.

Doing this crap is what gets more people killed, cops just say why bother with these thugs and screw things up, it's better if they just kill each other off and we have ribs.

Shooting at cops gets you exactly what you deserve, probably should have extra fireworks to solute the outstanding work done by police.

Doing this crap is what gets more people killed, cops just say why bother with these thugs and screw things up, it's better if they just kill each other off and we have ribs.
1656629008277.gif

"Refusing to stop for police or evading a police officer is a criminal act, defined as not stopping when told to by a police officer. It does not matter whether the police officer verbally instructs a person to stop or flashes their lights. However the officer signals a person to stop, not pulling over for the police is a crime."

What is so hard to understand? A criminal act.

What are you talking about Bob?

He shot at the cops. Like a thug. And he died like a thug.

No need to shut the city down to mourn. Sheesh...

What are you talking about Bob?

He shot at the cops. Like a thug. And he died like a thug.

No need to shut the city down to mourn. Sheesh...
I am agreeing with you G. It doesn't matter if he shot at the cops or not. He refused to pull over, started a high speed chase putting innocent bystanders and the police chasing him at risk. Gun or no gun, he broke the law and put others at risk. He should be fair game. He made the choice.

So, it seems the City of Akron is admitting that they can't continue an annual holiday tradition because the city is just too violent and dangerous.

I think the police shooting is just an excuse not to have this event, because city officials want to avoid the inevitable violent crime that would take place there. Sad, but probably the right decision. Akron, along with many other cities, is rapidly turning into a lawless, uncivilized third world craphole. It even extends to sports, as we know. Try to have a football game at Ellet two years ago, someone gets shot and killed outside the stadium. Playoff basketball games get called in the third quarter because of fighting. Firestone player gets stomped to death by 3 thugs at a basketball court.

And why would anyone protest this criminal getting shot? He could have easily killed someone shooting a gun while driving and jumping out of the car!

How many of you braves would actually be attending, with your family, knowing it only takes one crazy trying to make a point? Unles that was the plan, a bit hypocritical calling out the city admin for "giving in." I'm sure you can still go down and hang out whereever these were to be held, to show you are not going to "cave."

Refusing to put a match next to kindling is caving but sometimes a little retreat is the better idea. The world has changed. No one wishes to take any personal or collective responsibility and accept any compromise that might push a solution. So it is what it is. A new order.

We're seeing cancelations because they simply cannot man the festivities. Or maybe those are convenient or made-up excuses.

What happened to let's wait to get all the facts???

I don't know what happened that night, but the Jayland Walker I knew was one of the most respectful hard working kids I have ever encountered. There have been several Akron police officer involved shootings lately. The response to this one I believe is different because the folks that knew this kid knows what has been described to have happened seems impossible. I doubt this kid ever got a detention in school and since high school all he has done is work hard and survive the tragedy of losing his father and more recently his girlfriend in a car accident. Like his family asked for today, I hope the truth comes out whatever that is. Maybe this was suicide by cop or maybe this was some overzealous officers that could have deescalated this situation better. What's hard to accept right now is this kid got shot 60 times for what amounts to having a broken tail light.

We have only heard one side of the story, and that was from the folks that pulled the trigger. Maybe the Mayor has seen the video evidence that will be released this weekend and realizes this may not be justified,,,,

How many of you braves would actually be attending, with your family, knowing it only takes one crazy trying to make a point? Unles that was the plan, a bit hypocritical calling out the city admin for "giving in." I'm sure you can still go down and hang out whereever these were to be held, to show you are not going to "cave."

Refusing to put a match next to kindling is caving but sometimes a little retreat is the better idea. The world has changed. No one wishes to take any personal or collective responsibility and accept any compromise that might push a solution. So it is what it is. A new order.

We're seeing cancelations because they simply cannot man the festivities. Or maybe those are convenient or made-up excuses.
I was at Lock 3 last Friday for a Rolling Stones tribute band. That is where all the activities are held. Lock 3 and Canal Park are basically beside each other. I usually go to Lock 3 a few times each summer. Never had a problem. Mostly an older crowd there depending on the entertainment. The Akron Police are always there and are some really nice guys and gals. It's downtown Akron and a very nice set up.
1656634907071.png

I don't know what happened that night, but the Jayland Walker I knew was one of the most respectful hard working kids I have ever encountered. There have been several Akron police officer involved shootings lately. The response to this one I believe is different because the folks that knew this kid knows what has been described to have happened seems impossible. I doubt this kid ever got a detention in school and since high school all he has done is work hard and survive the tragedy of losing his father and more recently his girlfriend in a car accident. Like his family asked for today, I hope the truth comes out whatever that is. Maybe this was suicide by cop or maybe this was some overzealous officers that could have deescalated this situation better. What's hard to accept right now is this kid got shot 60 times for what amounts to having a broken tail light.

We have only heard one side of the story, and that was from the folks that pulled the trigger. Maybe the Mayor has seen the video evidence that will be released this weekend and realizes this may not be justified,,,,
Once he shot at the cops it's game over. The story says he shot at the cops. Doesn't sound like "respectful and hard working" to me. ?‍♂️ But yes, let's wait for all the facts.

They showed the video of him barreling down the highway with the police in pursuit. Is there any excuse to not pull over and lead the police on a high speed chase? Whether it was suicide by cop or the young man committing a criminal act, that is on him. He made the choice. If he would have followed police orders none of this would have happened.

Once he shot at the cops it's game over. The story says he shot at the cops. Doesn't sound like "respectful and hard working" to me. ?‍♂️ But yes, let's wait for all the facts.
Thats what they said. Like I said , that sounds nothing like the kid I knew. I want to see what investigators say.

They showed the video of him barreling down the highway with the police in pursuit. Is there any excuse to not pull over and lead the police on a high speed chase? Whether it was suicide by cop or the young man committing a criminal act, that is on him. He made the choice. If he would have followed police orders none of this would have happened.
If he would have stopped at the initial stop yes this probably ends differently. That being said the sentence for evading police shouldn't automatically be a death sentence.