Jackson State announces Deion Sanders as its next head football coach

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Deion Sanders will be the next head football coach at Jackson State, he announced Sunday on his new podcast.

"God called me to Jackson State," Sanders said on the first episode of "21st & Prime," according to a transcription by the Clarion Ledger.

Interesting move. Kinda funny he legit released his first episode of 21st and Prime for Barstool and announced his move to Jackson State. Could be a huge hiring. Deion's obviously very well known and has a history of working with kids. Be interesting to see what he can do with recruiting.

It’s a good hire if you’re Jackson State. Anyone who thought Florida State should’ve hired him, is an idiot

First thing you need to do is get people excited and wanting to come aboard.

This will help recruiting, no doubt, and then it will be up to developing said talent.

Why? and How?

Here's a good write up, first few paragraphs are kind of wordy uselessness.

Sounds like most charter school's in America but if you look real hard enough to find something to fit your narrative you will. Great hire by Jackson State and don't be surprised if eventually higher institutions come calling! This does not destroy his credibility.

Why would you want Terrell Owens on your staff? One of the worst teammates in NFL history.

Why would you want Terrell Owens on your staff? One of the worst teammates in NFL history.
I would not rule him out because of that.

Possibly could be a benefit if he teaches those young men how NOT to do act. It is entirely possible.

I would not rule him out because of that.

Possibly could be a benefit if he teaches those young men how NOT to do act. It is entirely possible.
Every single team he played on, he left in chaos. I wouldn’t trust him as a coach. I know he’ll be able to use his name to recruit, but that’s only half the battle. There’s a reason so many great athletes flop as coaches. They have this Uber natural talent and can’t communicate with players below that level.

Every single team he played on, he left in chaos. I wouldn’t trust him as a coach. I know he’ll be able to use his name to recruit, but that’s only half the battle. There’s a reason so many great athletes flop as coaches. They have this Uber natural talent and can’t communicate with players below that level.
True.
Great players dont always lead to good coaches.

I would give him a chance though in that situation. Ya never know.....

Loved Prime as a player, but if I had to bet money on this...he'll be done in two seasons or less and the program will require a total rebuild.

Loved Prime as a player, but if I had to bet money on this...he'll be done in two seasons or less and the program will require a total rebuild.

And I'd take that bet. He and his staff are going to have national exposure and have many connections to the NFL. They'll get recruits that'd never even consider Jackson State before. He's spent years coaching/mentoring kids, high school and college kids. He doesn't drink and doesn't cuss. I'm sure he'll do just fine. Not to mention he has Barstool promoting and donating a portion of sales to HBCU.

And I'd take that bet. He and his staff are going to have national exposure and have many connections to the NFL. They'll get recruits that'd never even consider Jackson State before. He's spent years coaching/mentoring kids, high school and college kids. He doesn't drink and doesn't cuss. I'm sure he'll do just fine. Not to mention he has Barstool promoting and donating a portion of sales to HBCU.
Why would any high level recruit forego the perks of a true D1 school for the subpar facilities and lesser competition? I doubt any in-state recruit with an offer from Ole Miss or MSU...or even USM or Memphis...turns it down for Jackson State, even with Prime.

Well it's not like any other former player has had national exposure, connections to the NFL, spent years mentoring/coaching kids and failed before. Does Primetime even have national exposure nowadays? I mean with the kids he will be recruiting? Because right now, the OLDEST kids he will be recruiting were like 2 or 3 when he was retired. And since then he's done some reality TV shows and had coaching stops at the high school level that lasted no more than 2 years.

Why would any high level recruit forego the perks of a true D1 school for the subpar facilities and lesser competition? I doubt any in-state recruit with an offer from Ole Miss or MSU...or even USM or Memphis...turns it down for Jackson State, even with Prime.
As a black player, I would never go to Ole Miss if they paid me.

Check what's going on in basketball...top recruits are going to HBCU. He also just left a very successful career in television to go to Barstool which is the fastest growing media company. Especially around the college age group. He's had NFL and NCAA opportunities but turned them down. Amazing how kids just started showing up at the HS he's coaching at. They play a national schedule much like IMG. He's also coached the All-American games for years. I might be wrong. Time will tell

Update. He's already grabbed a Mississippi State (Mike Leach) commit and it looks like a high LSU commit will do the same.

Check what's going on in basketball...top recruits are going to HBCU. He also just left a very successful career in television to go to Barstool which is the fastest growing media company. Especially around the college age group. He's had NFL and NCAA opportunities but turned them down. Amazing how kids just started showing up at the HS he's coaching at. They play a national schedule much like IMG. He's also coached the All-American games for years. I might be wrong. Time will tell
It’s not really fair to compare Football to basketball. 1 recruit in Basketball can literally make a team. Football requires a lot more depth.

I honestly have no idea if this is a good hire, but if you’re Jackson St, what do you have to lose?

It’s not really fair to compare Football to basketball. 1 recruit in Basketball can literally make a team. Football requires a lot more depth.

I honestly have no idea if this is a good hire, but if you’re Jackson St, what do you have to lose?

Since May, black athletes have been encouraging kids to go to HBCU. It's definitely gaining momentum and this will do nothing but help. it's widely thought that Bronny will go the HBCU route if he plays college bball. I'm not saying it'll turn into the SEC but some highly ranked recruits are giving HBCU series looks now. We'll see

Since May, black athletes have been encouraging kids to go to HBCU. It's definitely gaining momentum and this will do nothing but help. it's widely thought that Bronny will go the HBCU route if he plays college bball. I'm not saying it'll turn into the SEC but some highly ranked recruits are giving HBCU series looks now. We'll see
It’s harder to grab those recruits in football. The amount of resources major D1 football programs have over HBCUs is massive. That gap isn’t as wide in basketball.