IVC 2021

One thing I wish all schools understood is the power of Friday night football. Yes it's just sports and no it's not the most important thing going on in a school district (unless you are Massillon) but those 5 home games are some of the biggest community events of the year your schools hosts.

Outside of graduation, I'm not sure there are any events that bring as many members of the community together. You have the team and their families, the band and their families, the cheerleaders and their families, the student section, the booster clubs as well as many community members who just happen to be fans of HS football.

To me it's just plain common sense that you put a lot of effort and support into your football program and take advantage of these five nights and what they can bring to your school. It also gives you a chance to showcase and promote a lot of great things going on in your district that people outside of the school building have no idea about.

One thing I wish all schools understood is the power of Friday night football. Yes it's just sports and no it's not the most important thing going on in a school district (unless you are Massillon) but those 5 home games are some of the biggest community events of the year your schools hosts.

Outside of graduation, I'm not sure there are any events that bring as many members of the community together. You have the team and their families, the band and their families, the cheerleaders and their families, the student section, the booster clubs as well as many community members who just happen to be fans of HS football.

To me it's just plain common sense that you put a lot of effort and support into your football program and take advantage of these five nights and what they can bring to your school. It also gives you a chance to showcase and promote a lot of great things going on in your district that people outside of the school building have no idea about.
Totally agree with you. School districts used to hire based on who was going to be a part of the community and work with students outside the classroom as coaches, advisors, and other ways. The emphasis on hiring coaches just isn't there for most districts anymore and then they wonder why they can't find people to help out their programs. Schools need to do more to use football as a vehicle top highlight multiple things about the school.

What gives you confidence Gadd can turn it around? Curious. As for the 5-5 year, they beat 5 teams who won a total of 8 games. Smart scheduling with a senior dominated team.
Well I went to several of the games in 2018 & 2019. In 2018 they had three chances to win games against bad teams and lost all of them.

In 2019 I saw a lot of growth. You are right, they beat five bad teams but they won those games. That was big growth from the year before. It's fair to point out those were bad teams, but you also have to go the other way and recognize that four of the five losses that year were to teams that were a combined 37-9. They beat the really bad teams and lost to the really good teams. The only in between team they played was a 4-6 East Canton team and they lost that game 7-0.

Also, if you were at the games against Indian Valley, Ridgewood and Garaway you saw that they competed in those games. No,they weren't close to winning but they weren't down 42-0 in the second quarter. They made those teams earn what they got.

I liked the physical, fundamental style they were playing with and once they went to the North I thought they could do really well.

I didn't go to any games last year because of Covid and now I have family playing for Ridgewood so I haven't been to any games this year so I am not really sure what is going on.

From a distance now it certainly seems the program has lost momentum. Losing the way they did to a bad TCC team is disheartening but I'm hoping that was more Covid related. They likely will not get on track this week against Malvern either.

However, they end the season against Strasburg, Buckeye Trail and Claymont. If they can win those three maybe they can get the momentum going again for 2022.

Are you skeptical of Gadd and if so why?

Well I went to several of the games in 2018 & 2019. In 2018 they had three chances to win games against bad teams and lost all of them.

In 2019 I saw a lot of growth. You are right, they beat five bad teams but they won those games. That was big growth from the year before. It's fair to point out those were bad teams, but you also have to go the other way and recognize that four of the five losses that year were to teams that were a combined 37-9. They beat the really bad teams and lost to the really good teams. The only in between team they played was a 4-6 East Canton team and they lost that game 7-0.

Also, if you were at the games against Indian Valley, Ridgewood and Garaway you saw that they competed in those games. No,they weren't close to winning but they weren't down 42-0 in the second quarter. They made those teams earn what they got.

I liked the physical, fundamental style they were playing with and once they went to the North I thought they could do really well.

I didn't go to any games last year because of Covid and now I have family playing for Ridgewood so I haven't been to any games this year so I am not really sure what is going on.

From a distance now it certainly seems the program has lost momentum. Losing the way they did to a bad TCC team is disheartening but I'm hoping that was more Covid related. They likely will not get on track this week against Malvern either.

However, they end the season against Strasburg, Buckeye Trail and Claymont. If they can win those three maybe they can get the momentum going again for 2022.

I think they beat strasburg for sure now trail and claymont is a stretch the only good thing is that they’re a younger team but they’ll lose a lot of games by 30+ to end the year

I think they beat strasburg for sure now trail and claymont is a stretch the only good thing is that they’re a younger team but they’ll lose a lot of games by 30+ to end the year
If you lose to Claymont by 30+ then something is drastically wrong. If Newcs loses any of those games by 30+ then I will question my belief in what is going on. Losing to TCC after not playing for 4 weeks is bad but if you are actually playing every week and that happens then something has to change.

If you lose to Claymont by 30+ then something is drastically wrong. If Newcs loses any of those games by 30+ then I will question my belief in what is going on. Losing to TCC after not playing for 4 weeks is bad but if you are actually playing every week and that happens then something has to change.
Malvern will steam roll them bad.. claymont maybe not but they beat tusky by 43 and I almost crapped myself reading that score and trail idk they’ll win by 20+ ntown should beat strasburg they’re very bad this year

Was at the phila chardon game then went over to tcc I got there when it was 14-0 and tcc dominated them and it could’ve been worse as they caused 4 turnovers 2 picks and 2 fumbles idk why you act like they should beat tcc.. tcc might not be very good but they’ll always beat the ntowns and strasburgs every year

Was at the phila chardon game then went over to tcc I got there when it was 14-0 and tcc dominated them and it could’ve been worse as they caused 4 turnovers 2 picks and 2 fumbles idk why you act like they should beat tcc.. tcc might not be very good but they’ll always beat the ntowns and strasburgs every year
If you are turning your program around you can't lose to TCC. I'm hoping it was the 4 weeks off. If not, that's a bad sign.

I was just curious what gave you confidence in him turning it around. They did win those games in 2019 and I'm happy that they did, but also know that it was a senior dominated team(not to mention a senior class that was propped up from the time they were in 3rd grade) and expected more.

I am skeptical of Gadd and it has a lot to do with a lack of experience. He was a volunteer coach for two years before becoming a head coach and is learning the job on the fly. I watched the preview video from WTUZ and saw them doing drills(Hamburger or whatever ever you want to call having both guys lay on their back and jump up and hit each other) that biddy coaches do in varsity practice. I just don't see it getting that much better to be honest. Now, they should beat Strasburg every year while Strasburg is in their current state.

I was just curious what gave you confidence in him turning it around. They did win those games in 2019 and I'm happy that they did, but also know that it was a senior dominated team(not to mention a senior class that was propped up from the time they were in 3rd grade) and expected more.

I am skeptical of Gadd and it has a lot to do with a lack of experience. He was a volunteer coach for two years before becoming a head coach and is learning the job on the fly. I watched the preview video from WTUZ and saw them doing drills(Hamburger or whatever ever you want to call having both guys lay on their back and jump up and hit each other) that biddy coaches do in varsity practice. I just don't see it getting that much better to be honest. Now, they should beat Strasburg every year while Strasburg is in their current state.
That makes sense. I just doubt they had many proven candidates when they hired him in 2017. They had been losing forever, the Lee Fieldhouse didn't exist, they were going into the South. It was a very unattractive job.

Now with the Fieldhouse and the North I feel like this job would be much more attractive if it ever opens up again.

That makes sense. I just doubt they had many proven candidates when they hired him in 2017. They had been losing forever, the Lee Fieldhouse didn't exist, they were going into the South. It was a very unattractive job.

Now with the Fieldhouse and the North I feel like this job would be much more attractive if it ever opens up again.
Would you believe me if I told you that the job was his before they even non-renewed the previous coach? So it wasn't truly open in 2017.

when you have a young team, not much experience you have to go back to the basics and teach them from the bottom up, teams in the north don't have 50 kids on the team with 20 kids that actually know the game and play

Would you believe me if I told you that the job was his before they even non-renewed the previous coach? So it wasn't truly open in 2017.
Honestly, nothing would surprise me anymore. I heard something about an IVC school yesterday (not Newcomerstown) and my first thought was there is no way that story is true. Then I thought more about the school involved and I realized it probably is true. It's not dumb luck some of these schools are in the situations they are in.

Anyways, back to Newcomerstown. Perhaps they didn't open it up in 2017 but who would they have attracted? It was the worst job in the IVC.

Newcs certainly isn't the best job in the IVC but it's nowhere near the worst anymore. It's closer to the middle than it is to being the worst.

Where’s Jeff Cook when you need him?
That hurts man. That hurts . But, it just goes to show how tenuous these programs can be if they aren't managed correctly. You can be riding high and then a few years later you can be in a deep hole wondering if you will ever get out.

Sponsored by our friends at Cleveland Clinic Union Hospital

Week 7 action ??

The top matchup in the IVC

Only on Big Time Sports ?

Watch Indian Valley vs. Garaway

? Troy Richardson & Bruce Widder

The Manor Restaurant - Strasburg, Ohio POTG: Jaret Wallick

Just watched the replay of the Garaway vs Indian Valley game on YouTube and what a defensive battle that was. Really impressed with how fast Garaway could get to the ball and shut down Indian Valley’s running game. I think they said IV had 5 yards of rushing at the half and ended the game with 30 rushing yards. IV had some success throwing the ball but for some reason kept going back to the run and Garaway just kept putting 5 guys in the box all night. Curious to watch Ridgewood and IV this week. It’s going to be live on YouTube. This will probably be the best defense Ridgewood has faced so far this year and IV better make some offensive changes or they might put up a goose egg again this week. Slusser and Tingle will put up some points so you better be able to go score for score with them.

Just watched the replay of the Garaway vs Indian Valley game on YouTube and what a defensive battle that was. Really impressed with how fast Garaway could get to the ball and shut down Indian Valley’s running game. I think they said IV had 5 yards of rushing at the half and ended the game with 30 rushing yards. IV had some success throwing the ball but for some reason kept going back to the run and Garaway just kept putting 5 guys in the box all night. Curious to watch Ridgewood and IV this week. It’s going to be live on YouTube. This will probably be the best defense Ridgewood has faced so far this year and IV better make some offensive changes or they might put up a goose egg again this week. Slusser and Tingle will put up some points so you better be able to go score for score with them.
Probably not going to happen. Although I think it might be closer then alot of ppl realize. But Wood should win by 14-21 points.

Was there ever a chance this week of changing the Garaway and Tusky Valley game like Ridgewood did against Strasburg? Does not seem like this game will help Garaway get ready for the playoffs.

Was there ever a chance this week of changing the Garaway and Tusky Valley game like Ridgewood did against Strasburg? Does not seem like this game will help Garaway get ready for the playoffs.
I’m guessing Garaway and Tusky Valley have to play because it’s an IVC South game and it has implications on the league title. Ridgewood vs Strasburg was just a cross over game so they was able to get out of it.