IRONMAN - 2022

Does Western Reserve wrestle a schedule which includes Ohio teams? Prior to the Ironman I have never heard of Sam Cartella. I have followed Ohio high School wrestling for 35 years and I don't ever recall a high school wrestler that is basically out of the mix. Could someone please enlighten me on this. Maybe I am just behind the times.
WRA is not a member of the OHSAA. Prep school coached by David Habat. They wrestled at St Edward in the first match of the season last year. They go to National Prep Championships. Sam finished as runner-up at 138 last year.

Imagine if Stillwater Oklahoma actually had a full squad to Wrestle. With only nine athletes they are at 129.5 pts. Wow!

WRA is not a member of the OHSAA. Prep school coached by David Habat. They wrestled at St Edward in the first match of the season last year. They go to National Prep Championships. Sam finished as runner-up at 138 last year.
Thanks for the Info!

He is from Hudson, OH. He wrestled for Kratos previously. Great young man and great family. His dad is a class act and when I met Sam, he was in 5th or 6th grade, he was very polite, composed, mature. Happy to see him doing so well. He was an absolute hammer on top in grade school. I have lost touch with Hudson and that wrestling, but I remember when he was developing his skills on his feet, you knew if his opponent ever was in defensive position (by takedown or by choice), it was over.
Thanks for the information.

Don't know about anyone else, but the championship matches have frozen up - right after the first match. This is the Flo I remember from 7 years ago. I see they haven't worked out the bugs yet in presenting a stream for HS wrestling. Freaking unbelievable. But I can get the third and fifth place matches to work - wth?

And now it is back, missed the entire match for 132. No idea who won. And it looks like this one is about to freeze up as well. Yep - in spurts. It will stop for about 1-2 seconds. Definitely not a high def streaming going on.

Last edited:
Don't know about anyone else, but the championship matches have frozen up - right after the first match. This is the Flo I remember from 7 years ago. I see they haven't worked out the bugs yet in presenting a stream for HS wrestling. Freaking unbelievable. But I can get the third and fifth place matches to work - and they are in different buildings from each other. WTH?
Haven't had a problem and I'm also streaming the World Cup and here of course. Lucky I suppose.

Brandon Cannon comes in second, but what a tourney. Beats Mason (5 seed), Bouzakis (7 seed), and Bailey (1 seed) only loss to 2 seed Webster in 138 finals. Cannon won Beast of the East for Wyoming Seminary in 2019 as a freshman (and a backup, I believe) at 106, but in the next year doctors found a tumor on his back and he was hospitalized. He's back, he wrestled an all-time Ironman tournament, and he should be celebrated.

Haven't had a problem and I'm also streaming the World Cup and here of course. Lucky I suppose.
Wowway is my internet connection. Need to dump it. I was watching full screen on two monitors earlier today. It seems to be when you expect heavy usage in the neighborhood. What are you using for your internet provider? When it froze up earlier, I got a message from Flo saying they were experiencing technical difficulties. Probably screwed it up more by switching to the other mats.

Silly as it sounds the 2 whistle start with Forrest cost him the match,he gets the on whistle takedown 9/10 times.He was out of sync,im almost serious.

Looks like they blew the call on time in the Fugitt - Lemley semi-final. Time had run out well before the takedown they allowed. Assumes the time left shown on the Flo streaming is correct. They were in the par-tere position with 3 seconds left. Clock started on time and it was showing :00 before the takedown. Was 5-4 and ended it at 5-6. Fugitt got screwed. Anybody see it differently?
I watch match closely. When ref award two I looked at mat side clock and 1 second was still on clock when he raised two. Now was his mat side clock slow or off I’m not sure. But one second on clock.

Last edited:
Wondering if this was an all-time Ironman year. I think the list of winners is pretty incredible: Munaretto, Bassett, Lilledahl, Davino, Hughes, Webster, Church, Duke, Stiles, Ferrari, Welsh, Thompson, Shulaw, Johnson. That's a whole lotta guys with some pretty great results already in HS and future aspirations of big things. Was looking back at Ironman 2012 for some comparison (10 year anniversary)- four future NCAA champs won titles (Valencia, Tomasello, Retherford, Snyder), Bo Jordan was a 4x AA, Joey Dance was a 2x AA I believe, and Aaron Pico was, well, Aaron Pico. That's just a random year, pretty wild how much talent flows through this tourney every year.

I watched the match live at tournament, there was zero doubt that the Lemley takedown at the end of his semi was on time.

Looking at the Cannon/Bailey overtime sequence, the video clearly shows takedown criteria being met. However the angle necessary to see the takedown was opposite of where the calling official was positioned. By the time the official got over, the athletes were in more of a scramble situation where control would be less likely to be determined. Unfortunate, but you're dealing with human beings. The root cause of that though was the third period in which Bailey was complete exhausted, and caused the OT to occur.

I watched the match live at tournament, there was zero doubt that the Lemley takedown at the end of his semi was on time.

Looking at the Cannon/Bailey overtime sequence, the video clearly shows takedown criteria being met. However the angle necessary to see the takedown was opposite of where the calling official was positioned. By the time the official got over, the athletes were in more of a scramble situation where control would be less likely to be determined. Unfortunate, but you're dealing with human beings. The root cause of that though was the third period in which Bailey was complete exhausted, and caused the OT to occur.
Do you think match should have even went to overtime. Did Cannon lose control at end of third period. I know it wasn’t two but was he still holding on enough to remain in control or was it right call to push match to overtime.

How many champs will Ohio have? You can’t count guys like Neves or Voinovich or Jordan. They are not Ohio anymore.
Hoping for more, but I say Ohio gets one. Not sure which one….but Shulaw and Herman and Blaze are probably best chance at it?
Well--I was right--I'm coming for your job Borofan. Just Kidding!
And it was Shulaw. Although McDanel (190), Miller (175), Birden (157) and Cartella (144) were close!!!

He is from Hudson, OH. He wrestled for Kratos previously. Great young man and great family. His dad is a class act and when I met Sam, he was in 5th or 6th grade, he was very polite, composed, mature. Happy to see him doing so well. He was an absolute hammer on top in grade school. I have lost touch with Hudson and that wrestling, but I remember when he was developing his skills on his feet, you knew if his opponent ever was in defensive position (by takedown or by choice), it was over.
I haven't known him quite as long as you, but got to know him pretty well once he hit high school. He really is a humble kid.
I talked with both of them before the Finals this weekend. His Dad was telling me how he loves The IronMan and last year just before Ironman, Sam committed to West Point, and that it was so special that he placed and now a year later he is in the finals.
Sam has all the accolades in the sport and I find it interesting he chose West Point because it definitely is not a place a kid goes to "maximize his wrestling potential", but I guess it isn't about that for Sam. So much respect for all the young men that choose that path. They deserve it. For all the negativity you hear about kids and society these days, I love how this sport still attracts kids with special character. We should take note of them more.

Sam has freakish strength. That’s the word. And it shows.

Great tournament as always, I remember the days of Eric Guerrero dancing out to the finals with his blonde fro.....and Bilman versus Marchette :) I'd have voted Davino for MVP though, plenty of top ranks guys at 126 also, and he shut down a VERY dangerous Mgowan completely. Where Liladahl had some nail biters, I also think Jax wins that match most of the time, having wrestled each other so many times helped Lladahl "more" IMHO. It just seemed like Jax couldnt get in sync, wasn't patient enough. Hat's off to Liladahl though for navigating a very talented weight class. Final thoughts ....Bo Basset is one HUGE 113 , and Marcus is a huge 120. I'd like to have seen Basset throw his hat in the ring at 120, 113 was pretty thin.

Great tournament as always, I remember the days of Eric Guerrero dancing out to the finals with his blonde fro.....and Bilman versus Marchette :) I'd have voted Davino for MVP though, plenty of top ranks guys at 126 also, and he shut down a VERY dangerous Mgowan completely. Where Liladahl had some nail biters, I also think Jax wins that match most of the time, having wrestled each other so many times helped Lladahl "more" IMHO. It just seemed like Jax couldnt get in sync, wasn't patient enough. Hat's off to Liladahl though for navigating a very talented weight class. Final thoughts ....Bo Basset is one HUGE 113 , and Marcus is a huge 120. I'd like to have seen Basset throw his hat in the ring at 120, 113 was pretty thin.
Can Basset beat Jax? Idk? I think Jax was ranked the #4 PFP in the nation. Anyone know who is the better of the two?

Can Basset beat Jax? Idk? I think Jax was ranked the #4 PFP in the nation. Anyone know who is the better of the two?
I don't think Basset has much of a chance at all, not what I was implying. In fact most of the top 4-6 guys this year at 120 would beat him IMHO. Other than Jordan, who Basset was noticeably larger than, 113 was fairly thin.

I don't think Basset has much of a chance at all, not what I was implying. In fact most of the top 4-6 guys this year at 120 would beat him IMHO. Other than Jordan, who Basset was noticeably larger than, 113 was fairly thin.
Good info. Thanks.

Good info. Thanks.
Im sure Bassett had no business wrestling 120,he would have got whipped lol.Or maybe Forrest was a natural 120 and Basset is smaller than him.jeez

Would you give me your opinion on Ohio's top freshman this year? I was personally disappointed by their performance at the Ironman. That said, they're all going to have fabulous careers. I just know from following this site for quite a while that you speak your mind, even though everyone doesn't always agree with you.

Would you give me your opinion on Ohio's top freshman this year? I was personally disappointed by their performance at the Ironman. That said, they're all going to have fabulous careers. I just know from following this site for quite a while that you speak your mind, even though everyone doesn't always agree with you.
"even though everyone doesn't always agree with you."

I'm often misunderstood lol. I don't know enough about this years freshman to comment appropriately, years ago I would have as I coached MANY of the incoming elite freshman ;) I follow the top guys to see if they're up to the hype....Marcus Blaze as example, I follow St Eds "top" guys pretty closely. I'm most impressed with the Miller brothers as sophomores thus far. Blaze is obviously pretty good, Scotty is a great coach but I'm not surprised he didn't make the finals again this year. Impressive he turned around his loss to Deluca, but I'd still take Deluca 8 out of 10 matches.

"even though everyone doesn't always agree with you."

I'm often misunderstood lol. I don't know enough about this years freshman to comment appropriately, years ago I would have as I coached MANY of the incoming elite freshman ;) I follow the top guys to see if they're up to the hype....Marcus Blaze as example, I follow St Eds "top" guys pretty closely. I'm most impressed with the Miller brothers as sophomores thus far. Blaze is obviously pretty good, Scotty is a great coach but I'm not surprised he didn't make the finals again this year. Impressive he turned around his loss to Deluca, but I'd still take Deluca 8 out of 10 matches.
I guess I just expect Ohio's top freshman to compete for a placement at Ironman. That's just what history has proven over the years. I think Ohio is falling behind as far as producing the highly ranked freshman wrestler. Maybe we have been spoiled over the years of Monroeville, Graham , and Eds putting out nationally ranked freshman.

Last edited:
I guess I just expect Ohio's top freshman to compete for a placement at Ironman. That's just what history has proven over the years. I think Ohio is falling behind as far as producing the highly ranked freshman wrestler. Maybe we have been spoiled over the years of Monroeville, Graham , and Eds putting out Nationally ranked freshman.
"I guess I just expect Ohio's top freshman to compete for a placement at Ironman."

You're not wrong, and yes the BEST freshman of the past have competed for ironman placement often. Everything is cyclical, I think some of the dynamics have changed in developing elite incoming Freshman in Ohio. Back in the day top club teams like Longwood and North Akron would travel OFTEN to Pa , jersey etc for the best youth competition. I think it's more focused now on Jr High states here in Ohio where many of the competitors never compete against the countries best, I know "some" still do Tulsa etc......but I think it's diminished substantially, maybe Covid just put development back a few years for those few who did travel for competition. I know there are less Ohio guys that do Fargo FS/Greco that there used to be .......those numbers have definitely reduced.