Ignatius Basketball

Ignatius will play Wheeler GA this year at Flyin’ to the Hoop. Wheeler is the defending GA state champion (their 8th hoops title) and the alma mater of Sharief Abdur-Rahim and Jaylen Brown.

Marietta GA Wheeler has a 5-star, junior point guard, 6'3" Isaiah Collier, ranked #18 nationally and #5 PG in the junior class. He has offers from Auburn, Texas Tech, Florida, Ole Miss, Cincinnati, Louisville, NC State, UNC, Miami (FL), Penn State, UCLA

Does anyone know what the schedule looks like? I’m surprised it’s not up on the athletics site already with the season starting in 2 months.

I think they'll be at the Rossford Holiday Tournament Dec 29th/30th. St. Ignatius was supposed to play Rossford but had to be moved to an earlier slot due to a scheduling conflict. From what I understand, they will play Sylvania Northview at 3 PM.

I think they'll be at the Rossford Holiday Tournament Dec 29th/30th. St. Ignatius was supposed to play Rossford but had to be moved to an earlier slot due to a scheduling conflict. From what I understand, they will play Sylvania Northview at 3 PM.
who is the 4th school involved? Regardless, should be some quality hoops played those two days. Davey1 has Ignatius coming here for MLK classic vs Northview

who is the 4th school involved? Regardless, should be some quality hoops played those two days.

I think there will be 8 teams/4 games. Rossford will play St. John's, from what I understand.

Last year, Northview played SJJ and Rossford played SFS. I think Maumee, BG and Stritch were also there. I can't remember who the 8th team was.

JV games in the auxiliary gym starting at 10 AM and varsity games in the field house starting at 12 (as some of the kids play in both).

I think there will be 8 teams/4 games. Rossford will play St. John's, from what I understand.

Last year, Northview played SJJ and Rossford played SFS. I think Maumee, BG and Stritch were also there. I can't remember who the 8th team was.

JV games in the auxiliary gym starting at 10 AM and varsity games in the field house starting at 12 (as some of the kids play in both).

Whoops. I'm getting the MLK tournament and the holiday tournament mixed up. St. Ignatius is definitely playing Northview in Rossford on one of those days - probably 1/17 at the MLK Showcase.

Whoops. I'm getting the MLK tournament and the holiday tournament mixed up. St. Ignatius is definitely playing Northview in Rossford on one of those days - probably 1/17 at the MLK Showcase.
Regardless, thats is two very quality events. Northview should have the top player in the area. I believe Clyde was at holiday tournament last year.

Saw I believe Perrysburg vs St Francis and Rossford vs Clyde for this years event for Holiday, and some new teams for the MLK this year.

Regardless, thats is two very quality events. Northview should have the top player in the area. I believe Clyde was at holiday tournament last year.

Saw I believe Perrysburg vs St Francis and Rossford vs Clyde for this years event for Holiday, and some new teams for the MLK this year.

That sounds right: SFS replacing Stritch now that JK is at SFS. Rossford beat Perrysburg last year but missed out on Stritch after they lost to Clyde.

St. Ignatius should get a better test from Northview than Rossford.

Schedule posted, most of the games were known already.

The Cats will be playing in the Rancho Mirage Holiday Invitational this year in Palm Springs. Nice way to escape the Cleveland weather.

Otherwise Indianapolis Cathedral, Wheeler (GA), Sylvania Northview, and Toledo Central Catholic are all new foes.

Excited to see the team this year. Should be young, with a lot of sophomores at the guard spots in particular, but very talented. Heading into the season with 4 players holding D1 offers - likely that has never happened before at Wildcat High. Guessing at a rotation:

1: Little / Buckner / Ruddy
2: Effertz / Buckner / Fletcher
3: Sczepaniak / Jackson
4: Green / Maruca
5: Yarian / Marshall

Martin, Hyland, Ellis, and Goodman could all slot in somewhere. There is a lot of height in the Freshman class as well, I’m sure we’ll see some Freshman at least on JV and possibly on the Varsity again this year.

St. Edward has taken some long trips over the holidays for basketball tournaments (and wrestling) in the past. Usually brought out some smug comments from the classic Ignatius posters on Huddle / Yappi. The good old days, lol.

It will be interesting to see the team play this year given the big shift in style from last season’s slow paced, post-oriented offense. I expect the Cats to be aggressive trying to force turnovers on D and get out and run with all the young athletic guards. My biggest concerns are 3 point shooting other than Effertz and rim protection. Tristan Marshall is the only strong shot blocker of the players on the roster, but that comes with some trade offs on the offensive side of the ball.

First game during Thanksgiving holiday weekend is going to be pretty tough - vs. Indianapolis Cathedral
Cathedral was 18-3 last year, Indianapolis city champs and the pre-season favorite to repeat.
However Cathedral lost in the 1st round of the IHSAA state tournament to the team that eventually was the Indiana state runner-up
Key returning players:
  • Tayshawn Comer, 5-11 sr PG (Eastern Kentucky)
  • Jaxon Edwards, 6-6 sr F (Murray State)
  • Xavier Booker, 6-11 jr C (offers from Indiana, Iowa, Purdue, LSU, Kansas State)
  • Jake Davis, 6-6 jr F
  • Jaron Tibbs 6-4 jr G (has an offer for football from Ball State)

#2 in the PD preseason area poll. A lot of expectations to live up to for such a young team. Goul has them ranked ahead of many more veteran groups like Richmond Heights, Brush, Lutheran East, and St. Ed’s.

I see that Ignatius has cancelled it‘s Dec. 23rd game with SVSM due to COVID.
According to the Ignatius athletics website, the Wildcats ...
  • "postponed" Friday's (12/17) game vs. Brush
  • "cancelled" today's (12/19) Capital Univ Showcase game vs Gahanna Lincoln
  • "postponed" the 12/23 game vs SVSM
There was a rapid escalating spike of Covid cases on campus this past week.
Ignatius hopes to re-schedule the Brush and SVSM games.

Last edited:
Ignatius - St. Edward game scheduled for Jan. 7 @ Ignatius has been moved to February 17

Screen Shot 2021-12-23 at 4.37.25 PM.png

Updated game schedule for the Rancho Mirage Holiday Classic

Dec. 27 (8:30 pm PST) - Gardena CA Junipero Serra (10-3) 63-50 W; (Quarter scores: 23-7, 35-12, 51-30, 63-50)
Dec. 28 (7:00 pm PST) - Hayward CA Moreau Catholic (6-1) 73-66 W; (Quarter scores: 19-23, 38-32, 56-45, 73-66)
Dec. 29 (5:30 pm PST) - Henderson NV Liberty (6-1) 51-77 L; (Quarter scores: 6-17, 24-48, 35-63, 51-77)
Dec. 30 (2:30 pm PST) - Reno NV Bishop Manogue (5-5) 57-29 W; (Quarter scores: 13-4, 31-10, 40-19, 57-29)

Last edited:
Cats jump out to a big lead early and never looked back in a nice opening win over Junipero Serra. Since the baffling home opener loss to Walsh Jesuit, this team has played pretty well. Ace Buckner played his first minutes tonight coming off an injury at the start of the season, and looked very good spelling CJ Little at PG, bringing some much needed extra ball handling and shooting to the team.

Cats beat Hayward CA Moreau Catholic 73-66 behind Effertz's 22 points and Carter Jackson's 12 pmts
Good win against a good team. Need to work on free throws as the Cats were around 50%

Cats finish the Rancho Mirage tournament 3-1 with a win over Reno NV Bishop Manogue 57-29
It was a tournament where all 16 on the roster got playing time each game in a lot of different rotations and combinations

Re-scheduled games:
@ SVSM - Jan. 27
Brush @ Sullivan - Feb. 12
St. Edward @ Sullivan - Feb. 16

Challenging 3 games to finish the regular season - Brush, St. Edward, Green

Ace Buckner has played very well in his first few games in the Blue and Gold. His minutes should increase, along with Hyland’s. Nobody other than Little or Buckner should be handling the ball in the backcourt against pressure. Heights press gave the Cats fits tonight. Ignatius looked completely gassed halfway through the 3rd despite a deeper bench.

The Wildcats need to step up their game if they are going to compete this Saturday vs. nationally ranked Wheeler GA or even in their games coming up vs. St. Edward, SVSM, Brush and Green.

Even the SIBN student announcers commented about their ‘lackadaisical’ play vs. Heights and in one of the games in California. I don’t understand how they were not able to handle Heights’ double team pressure. Everybody knew what Heights was doing and yet time and time again, too much of one person trying to dribble and not enough passing and helping out. This is not the first time that’s happened.

This season -
Offensively in the half court, there just seems to be too much standing around in spots. When in transition, the Cats tend to rush and play out of control, which is translating to too many turnovers. More motion and ball movement are needed. Jon Effertz needs to be coming off screens and picks as he can create and make shots.

Defensively, the Cats have played ok, but at times seem to lose track of the opposing 3-point shooters or those crossing down low along the baseline.

On the positive side - Carter Jackson and CJ Yarian have improved the most and have been the most consistent.

Lot of work to be done and improvement yet to be accomplished.