Ignatius Basketball

Any reason for the change of date again against St. Ed's. Game moved to Jan 17th now
The games are now Wednesday Jan 19th @ Sullivan gym (not the 17th)
don't know the specific reason - perhaps they wanted to have both the JV and varsity games on the same night. The Feb. 16 date was varsity only and the schools were trying to figure out when they could fit in the re-scheduling of the JV game

Also, Ignatius added Central Catholic on Feb 11
The schedule seems to be fluid and changing like it was last year

Wildcats are really struggling. They have not played well at all since the trip to CA.
In reality, the only game the Cats have played really well this season was vs Lutheran East.
Their issues are still the same as reported before and they seem to have lost confidence, as evidenced by falling behind by 20+ points the last 2 games. Wednesday is a rivalry game vs the Eagles at home and although hoping they turn it around, I am expecting a double digit loss.

Northview was up by 25 at times yesterday. They are a senior-led team and probably the 2nd best in the Toledo area after Central Catholic, but they were absolutely dominated by Lima Senior who was able to get into the lane against their guards all day long. Not sure St. Ignatius would have beaten St. John's or Rossford with the effort they put forth yesterday.

Wildcats are really struggling. They have not played well at all since the trip to CA.
In reality, the only game the Cats have played really well this season was vs Lutheran East.
Their issues are still the same as reported before and they seem to have lost confidence, as evidenced by falling behind by 20+ points the last 2 games. Wednesday is a rivalry game vs the Eagles at home and although hoping they turn it around, I am expecting a double digit loss.I

Freshmen doubleheader results from yesterday

St. Edward Green 55 - St. Ignatius Gold 54

St. Ignatius Blue 60 - St. Edward Gold 32

I watched the majority of that game, especially the 2nd half.

What in the world was Iggy doing? They didn't score in the final 3+ mins of the game. Ed's ended the game on what had to have been a 9-0 or 7-0 run. Iggy also couldn't make a shot or a layup. Brutal. They couldn't have shot 40% from the field. Some really bad TO's against the press as well.

St. Ed's outscored Ignatius 12-0 in the last 4 minutes of the game to win 55-54
The 4th quarter was representative of the Wildcats season - many turnovers, poor shooting and not defending the 3-pointer

Freshmen doubleheader results from yesterday

St. Edward Green 55 - St. Ignatius Gold 54

St. Ignatius Blue 60 - St. Edward Gold 32
JV score tonight
St. Ignatius 42 - St. Edward 28

It seems like the talent is on the upswing for the Wildcats lately. Kudos to Cam Joyce for this. I wouldn't say the talent is shifting away from Ed's because it looks like they still have plenty as usual, but off the top of my head I want to say Ed's was typically sweeping Frosh, JV, Varsity. I could be wrong about that.

JV score tonight
St. Ignatius 42 - St. Edward 28

It seems like the talent is on the upswing for the Wildcats lately. Kudos to Cam Joyce for this. I wouldn't say the talent is shifting away from Ed's because it looks like they still have plenty as usual, but off the top of my head I want to say Ed's was typically sweeping Frosh, JV, Varsity. I could be wrong about that.
I definitely think there has been a talent upgrade since Joyce took over, but underclass results can be a mixed bag of sorts as your more talented underclass players will typically be on the varsity roster. I think the freshman and JV have been relatively competitive with each other for years now, even before Joyce came in.

Great come back by Ed's --- outplayed in most of second half by Ignatius (except when it mattered). Ignatius and Joyce failed to close out the game with a double digit lead with under 3 left. Bad shots, turnovers and general lack of awareness of the game situation. Last play was also poorly designed. With 12 seconds left and the ball at half court, you should get a better look than fadeaway jumps jump shot. Joyce out-coached by Flannery. Experience and preparedness carried the day. rematch should be another great game.

I definitely think there has been a talent upgrade since Joyce took over, but underclass results can be a mixed bag of sorts as your more talented underclass players will typically be on the varsity roster. I think the freshman and JV have been relatively competitive with each other for years now, even before Joyce came in.

If one looks at this season’s Varsity rosters,

The Eagles have 7 seniors, 7 juniors and 1 sophomore
The 5 starters last night included 4 seniors (Bova, Reynolds, Knight, Freer-Brown) and 1 junior (Grant)
The Eagles’ rotation included a senior (Solomon), a junior (Lavelle) and a sophomore (Henry)

The Wildcats have 7 seniors, 3 juniors and 6 sophomores
The 5 starters last night included 2 seniors (Effertz, Yarian), 1 junior (Sczepaniak), 2 sophomores (Little, Jackson)
The Wildcats’ rotation included 3 seniors (Fletcher, Green, Ruddy), 2 juniors (Marshall, Maruca) and 2 sophomores (Buckner, Ellis)

Last edited:
Can someone explain what’s been going on this year with the team? They seemed so promising last year, and they’re losing like crazy rn.

In defense of St Ignatius, they're schedule has been very difficult.
Here's a list of the teams they've lost to in order:
Indianapolis (IN) Cathedral (13-4)
Walsh Jesuit (12-2)
Henderson (NV) Liberty (12-2) Maxpreps National # 29
Marietta (GA) Wheeler (15-4) Maxpreps National # 50
Sylvania Northview (14-1) AP Ohio D1 # 9
Lakewood St Edward (12-2) AP Ohio D1 #6
Akron St Vincent St Mary (10-3) AP Ohio D2 #2

They've beaten good teams like Gilmour, Lutheran East, Cleveland Heights, and Moreau Catholic CA (15-4).

If you’re an Ignatius fan, this team is frustrating to watch. Yes, the Wildcats have had a difficult schedule, perhaps the toughest in the state and imo, certainly in NE Ohio. 13 of their 15 games were vs. teams with winning records. The Cats have had a couple of wins vs good teams (add Gardena CA Junipero Serra [17-8] to the list mentioned in the previous post). They have blown double digit leads in the 4th quarter into losses in a couple of games (Walsh and St. Ed’s). They’ve been totally outmatched in the games vs. Indianapolis Cathedral, Henderson NV Liberty, Marietta GA Wheeler, Sylvania Northview and last night vs SVSM. In the games vs Cathedral, Liberty, Wheeler and SVSM, the Cats were out of it in the 1st quarter. In the Northview game, they started to lose it in 2Q and after an early 3Q run by Northview, game was over.

Defensively, the Cats are pretty good.
The issues mentioned in previous posts are still there – primarily on the offensive end. This team is prone to offensive turnovers, many of which are unforced by the opposition. It’s sloppy play. Last night vs SVSM, the Wildcats had 8 turnovers in their first 10 possessions of the game (the other 2 possessions were missed shots). Including charging fouls, they had somewhere between 20 and 25 ‘turnovers’ last night. They had 25 unforced turnovers vs Walsh. A team cannot win if the # of turnovers exceed the # of shots made and their quarterly scores are <10 points.

By now, one hoped to see continued improvement. However, last night vs SVSM was a big step backward.

Last edited:
Igantius gets blown out (one coiuld say embarassed) by a better team on Thursday, then loses to a lesser team on Friday. Scored 11 and 13 points respectively in the first half of those 2 games. Hoover played basic, old school team basketball - controlled the pace, limited turnovers, took good shots and the coaches had a strategy to win - Ignatius did the opposite on each of those counts. Ignatius - on paper - is more talented and physically stronger than Hoover at every position. But game is not played on paper. Lot's of questions about this team - starting with the coaching strategy.

Igantius gets blown out (one coiuld say embarassed) by a better team on Thursday, then loses to a lesser team on Friday. Scored 11 and 13 points respectively in the first half of those 2 games. Hoover played basic, old school team basketball - controlled the pace, limited turnovers, took good shots and the coaches had a strategy to win - Ignatius did the opposite on each of those counts. Ignatius - on paper - is more talented and physically stronger than Hoover at every position. But game is not played on paper. Lot's of questions about this team - starting with the coaching strategy.
Did Effertz or Jackson play in the Hoover game? If not, were they injured? I watched the second half and don’t recall seeing either one of them play and neither showed up in the box score (see below).

Hoover - 14 - 14 - 11 - 11 — 50
St. Ignatius - 6 - 7 - 16 - 19 — 48

HOOVER (13-4): Barker 5 3-5 15, Ware 5 2-2 12, Collins 1 3-4 6, Campbell 3 0-0 6, Mizner 2 0-0 6, Ross 1 0-0 3, Bille 1 0-0 2. Totals 18-32 8-11

ST. IGNATIUS: Szczepaniak 5 0-1 10, Yarian 3 0-0 8, Maruca 2 1-1 6, Buckner 3 0-0 6, Little 2 2-2 6, Martin 2 1-1 5, Ellis 2 0-0 5, Green Jr. 1 0-0 2. Totals 20-47 4-5

Did Effertz or Jackson play in the Hoover game? If not, were they injured? I watched the second half and don’t recall seeing either one of them play and neither showed up in the box score (see below).

Hoover - 14 - 14 - 11 - 11 — 50
St. Ignatius - 6 - 7 - 16 - 19 — 48

HOOVER (13-4): Barker 5 3-5 15, Ware 5 2-2 12, Collins 1 3-4 6, Campbell 3 0-0 6, Mizner 2 0-0 6, Ross 1 0-0 3, Bille 1 0-0 2. Totals 18-32 8-11

ST. IGNATIUS: Szczepaniak 5 0-1 10, Yarian 3 0-0 8, Maruca 2 1-1 6, Buckner 3 0-0 6, Little 2 2-2 6, Martin 2 1-1 5, Ellis 2 0-0 5, Green Jr. 1 0-0 2. Totals 20-47 4-5

No secret - Jackson was injured in the SVSM game and perhaps Effertz too. At the Hoover game, it was obvious to anyone there at Sullivan gym and watching the SIBN broadcast that the both sat out. It appears they could be out for quite awhile. For an offensively challenged team, missing the top 2 scorers this season really hurts.

What’s the rest of their schedule look like? Ik we play you on 17th I believe.
The Wildcats are 8-8 and finish up with St. Edward, Shaker Heights, Central Catholic, Brush (on Feb 12) and Green.
With the injuries, the Cats will be a significant underdog in all but the CCC game. Perhaps they end up the regular season at 9-12. That would be very disappointing considering the talent that returned from last year's Final 4 team.
Last season with a losing record was in 1997 and the reality is that Ignatius has had only 2 losing seasons in the last 72 years (since 1950).

Efferetz and jackson both played almost the entire game vs svsm..and both sat out the hoover game.. nevertheless ignatius even without those two, was bigger , stronger and more talented than hoover.. hoover outplayed them .. this team still can go far.. talent up and down the roster

The Wildcats are 8-8 and finish up with St. Edward, Shaker Heights, Central Catholic, Brush (on Feb 12) and Green.
With the injuries, the Cats will be a significant underdog in all but the CCC game. Perhaps they end up the regular season at 9-12. That would be very disappointing considering the talent that returned from last year's Final 4 team.
Last season with a losing record was in 1997 and the reality is that Ignatius has had only 2 losing seasons in the last 72 years (since 1950).
That’s Brutal :(

Good Game today! Wasn’t pretty on both sides, but man is CJ Little special. Also, that 3/4 Quarter shot was insane, great call on the SIBN!

Good Game today! Wasn’t pretty on both sides, but man is CJ Little special. Also, that 3/4 Quarter shot was insane, great call on the SIBN!
Agree - a good game even though not pretty on both sides. The Arcs have some really good talent at all the positions with good balance between outside and inside.

Agree - a good game even though not pretty on both sides. The Arcs have some really good talent at all the positions with good balance between outside and inside.
Same with Ignatius! Just gotta put it together. Ignatius is definitely built for the future as well!

Same with Ignatius! Just gotta put it together. Ignatius is definitely built for the future as well!

Agree.
The Ignatius JV roster consists of 12 sophomores + 3 freshmen and they are 20-0 this season.
The Ignatius varsity roster consists of 6 sophomores (2 of them also are on the JV roster) and 3 juniors.
At times, the Cats were playing 4 sophomores and a junior last night vs the Arcs. 7 of those 9 underclassmen played and scored 40 of the Cats 59 points.

The challenge for the coaching staff is – can they develop this talent to a higher level?
Defensively the Cats are good. Offensively, the Cats need a ‘system’ different than their current approach.

Ignatius survives a barrage of 3's from Brunswick, winning 70-64 for the district title. Cats will play Cleveland Hgts. on Wednesday. Jackson had 20+ points for the Cats.