I Don’t Get It…

The addiction to using " like" after every third word without using similes.

When I first started teaching I had the very bad habit of repeatedly saying "you know." I was oblivious to it, not even on my radar. One morning two girls were giggling in the back of the class. I went back to see what was so funny and saw a paper on which they had been counting something. When I asked them what they were doing, Ithey responded that they were counting my "you knows." They looked a little afraid, and I was a little irked, but I told them to keep on counting. They had me almost cured by the end of the day. I got to spoil their fun, and they got me to recover from a very bad speaking habit.

Last edited:
People who write " loose" when they mean " lose." Also, "looser" instead of " loser." It's second grade. While we're at it, " I should have went," instead of the correct form, " I should have gone." Once again, second grade.
Way too many people using 'then' in place of 'than.' It's an epidemic as I see it in all written forms - a ton on Yappi and other online postings. I'm comfortable stating it's used improperly more than 80% of the time. I'm not posting this with a smirk or a giggle...I'm abhorred that the language is literally changing in front of our eyes and a whole generation of people believing that 'then' means 'than.' 🙄😡

A lot of the they're/their/there, loose/lose, etc are from autocorrect on phones. To the point I think people just don't remember or care if they spell it right. They figure the other person understands.

My huge pet peeve is... should of done this or that... It's SHOULD HAVE--SHOULD'VE.... Not Should of. It's honestly the one linguistic mistake that just irritates me when I see it written out.

When I first started teaching I had the very bad habit of repeatedly saying "you know." I was oblivious to it, not even on my radar. One morning two girls were giggling in the back of the class. I went back to see what was so funny and saw a paper on which they had been counting something. When I asked them what they were doing, Ithey responded that they were counting my "you knows." They looked a little afraid, and I was a little irked, but I told them to keep on counting. They had me almost cured by the end of the day. I got to spoil their fun, and they got me to recover from a very bad speaking habit.
I hope you are still a teacher. Your story says a lot about you—and it’s a good thing in my opinion.

I don't get it when a waiter says "What are we having today?" I hadn't invited them for dinner so, "we aren't having anything. I'm having ..."
On the same note
..when they say 'I'm not sure I have that" ' I don't l ow if I have any of that left"

Using I when they must work there

Now...If he's the owner..fine...but.not just the employee

I don't get:

Why businesses spend good money on signage that uses the apostrophe to indicate plurals. I recently saw a neon sign advertising "taco's." While we're at it, anyone who uses the possessive instead of the plural. Second grade.

Way too many people using 'then' in place of 'than.' It's an epidemic as I see it in all written forms - a ton on Yappi and other online postings. I'm comfortable stating it's used improperly more than 80% of the time. I'm not posting this with a smirk or a giggle...I'm abhorred that the language is literally changing in front of our eyes and a whole generation of people believing that 'then' means 'than.' 🙄😡
A lot of the they're/their/there, loose/lose, etc are from autocorrect on phones. To the point I think people just don't remember or care if they spell it right. They figure the other person understands.

My huge pet peeve is... should of done this or that... It's SHOULD HAVE--SHOULD'VE.... Not Should of. It's honestly the one linguistic mistake that just irritates me when I see it written out.
I don't get:

Why businesses spend good money on signage that uses the apostrophe to indicate plurals. I recently saw a neon sign advertising "taco's." While we're at it, anyone who uses the possessive instead of the plural. Second grade.
These are all related. Has it gotten worse or do we simply see it more as everyone today has a voice through social media? The same people butchering grammar would never have written a letter to the editor or pages of opinion of a local newspaper but today post freely for all to see.

These are all related. Has it gotten worse or do we simply see it more as everyone today has a voice through social media? The same people butchering grammar would never have written a letter to the editor or pages of opinion of a local newspaper but today post freely for all to see.
It's gotten worse as it has become accepted. Just listen to sports talk radio if you want to hear the total butchering of the English language, especially amongst the younger hosts. A great model of kids listening to hear," They should have went for it." Even professional journalists like Tony Grossi have slipped into that on occasion.

It seems like we've had this discussion here previously as it relates to grammar and spelling, as I recall writing about this pet peeve of mine before:

Typically relating to an extraordinary sports effort, whether individual or team-related...somebody will say (type) "that was a dominate performance by (so-and-so)." NO. NO. NO !!! It was a dominant performance.

There! Now get off my lawn!

This thread has gone from, "I don't get it" to "I can't stand it" but that's okay.

I can't stand it when people say, "I'm just saying." I mean what the hell does that mean?
I feel ya. 🥴

Or, "just sayin". I cringe a bit, too, but I'll survive. When I first started hearing it, I imagined it means this.....

(also just saying) used when saying something negative or something that other people might not like or might find unusual, without trying to defend or give reasons for what you say: I don't want to insult anybody, but I'm just saying ...

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us...:~:text=(also just saying),'m just saying ...

Meaning of (I'm) just saying in English - Cambridge Dictionary

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us...:~:text=(also just saying),'m just saying ...
You know. or You know? Does it make a difference?
"You know" assumes you understand, I guess, in friend-to-friend way. Yes? EagleGuy is a real dolt. You know.

"You know?" is not sure you understand, but hopes you do. EagleGuy can be a real dolt sometimes, you know?

Either way, I think you do know and just don't want to let us know you know, you know.?

Reactions: SLS
I don't get why some old guys like all that hair growing out of their ears, thus creating the appearance of a small bird nest. So I wanted to see if there is a big word or term for excessive ear hair. My search revealed: auricular hypertrichosis.

I don't get:

If you are talking about the "newer" Cincinnati restaurant on Glenway at Boudinot and Crookshank, my wife and I have commented on it as well. She was thinking that the owner's nick-name might be Taco. That would be the only way the the sign could be "correct," but Taco's Time doesn't make sense to me.

1701023405077.png

If you are talking about the "newer" Cincinnati restaurant on Glenway at Boudinot and Crookshank, my wife and I have commented on it as well. She was thinking that the owner's nick-name might be Taco. That would be the only way the the sign could be "correct," but Taco's Time doesn't make sense to me.

View attachment 50422

My time, your time, Taco's Time. 🤷

I'm pretty sure I've seen "Possessive Time" as part of club names, probably in the sense of "place," but can't come up with an example off top of my head. Add to confusion; apostrophes I don't believe are used in formal spanish and there is a Tacotime franchise. Expect an infringement lawsuit.

Last edited:

View attachment 50422
It's owned by the guy from The League-

1701029854483.jpeg

I don't get why shoes come with shoestrings that are a foot or more too long, especially hiking boots and running shoes.

That one always bothers me.

Last edited:
Driving:

1. Being first in the left turn lane and still sitting there when the arrow comes on.
2. Drivers who insist on ten car lengths between the car in front when turning left with the arrow, not allowing others to get through.
3. Slow drivers in the left lane.
4. Drivers who refuse to use turn signals.

Driving:

1. Being first in the left turn lane and still sitting there when the arrow comes on.
2. Drivers who insist on ten car lengths between the car in front when turning left with the arrow, not allowing others to get through.
3. Slow drivers in the left lane.
4. Drivers who refuse to use turn signals.
Is there a more debated and contested thing than driving? Comedian George Carlin had a good bit on driving. His piece was have you ever noticed that people driving slower than you are an idiot and people driving faster than you are a maniac!

The first 3 listed are choices where the driver is being inattentive or uber defensive, the last one is just dangerous. I don't get why people don't use turn signals. If you are turning, you must let those in front of you and behind you know you are turning. Accidents happen many times because we assume the other driver is doing something else.

Is there a more debated and contested thing than driving? Comedian George Carlin had a good bit on driving. His piece was have you ever noticed that people driving slower than you are an idiot and people driving faster than you are a maniac!

The first 3 listed are choices where the driver is being inattentive or uber defensive, the last one is just dangerous. I don't get why people don't use turn signals. If you are turning, you must let those in front of you and behind you know you are turning. Accidents happen many times because we assume the other driver is doing something else.
Gun in tow and just relax. Like watching a movie.

Owning a dog.

Don't get me wrong. Dogs are good. I'm saying owning a dog, from my observation, seems like too much hassle to make it worth it.

My wife is the oldest of six. Big Italian family. She is the only one that does not own a dog. Since all of us are local, we get our dog fix just fine spending time with her siblings. When all of us get together, everyone practically insists on bringing their dog or else they can't stay long. The dogs are good, for the most part, but get more than two together and it becomes quite a bit of chaos that even their owners can't ignore and get annoyed at.

Dogs are work. You'll need to potty train the dog and you'll go through the trials of the dog crapping or pissing on your floor. Want a dog that doesn't bark like a maniac? That's more work. Want a dog that doesn't run off. That's more work, or else build a fence.

Dogs limit where you can go and how long you can stay. You can take your dog camping, but what if you want to go to Vegas for a couple nights and stay on the strip? You can't take your dog to that. You're going to have to board it or hire a sitter.

Dogs are gross. They smell. They shed. One of my in laws has a black lab. Short-ish hair and it still sheds all over the place. Another in-law has a Yorkie mix. He has a nose for dead animals. If there's a mole or a bird around, he'll find it and roll around in it like it's cat nip. His owner has to stop whatever he's doing to give it a bath.

Dogs are an obligation. The dog has to go to the vet and occassionally will need meds or even an operation. The dog is another mouth you have to feed. The dog needs to walk every day. I like taking walks, but it's a pain in the butt to be obligated to. Downpour outside? Dog still needs to walk. Sub zero temperatures? Eff you - walk the dog.

I'm not gonna deny that dogs have moments when they are great fun and can enrich your life and happiness, but you can just as much affection and personality from a cat with about 10x less work.

I've noticed over the last year or so the proliferation of newscasters and now sportscasters pronouncing "and" as "ant".
It's especially annoying when they begin a sentence with it. I don't get it.

It's every bit as annoying as people pronouncing "Dayton" as "Dayenn".