I Don’t Get It…

1) The public's fascination with vapid celebrities like the Kardashians and Chrissie Tiegen
2) Furor when a public figure takes a predictable statement (e.g. The Pope makes a statement about abortion)
I’ve said for years, Chrissie Tiegen isn’t hot.

I don’t get cats. What’s their appeal? I’d rather have something weird like a ferret as a pet over a cat.

Unlike dogs, which latch on to you as being their 'master'... you can't make a cat like you. 'cat people' just become a person that the cat respects enough to socialize with. It's an entirely different way of bonding.

As for planes... I get the physics of it... but it still baffles me. Same as a aircraft carrier or giant cargo ship doesn't just sink to the bottom of the ocean. It's just water beneath it. Water. Buoyancy is just really crazy to think about.

One that I was just thinking about yesterday is how with winches, pulleys, etc you can lift really heavy objects with very little physical effort. Like, that doesn't make sense. I can't lift a 400 pound rock, but with some chains, pulleys, rigging, and one person can turn a wheel and raise it off the ground without breaking a sweat. I know the math works. I've seen it in action. But it still seems crazy to me that it's possible.

Post Malone - I tend to think it’s just because he’s white.

Airplane flight - I have an advanced degree and have taken a ton of advanced science and math classes, and I understand the physics involved…but I still am baffled a heavy-arse plane can get off the ground and fly - haha

When he first broke out, it was probably because he was a white rapper with a catchy rap pop song.

But Post Malone's staying power is that he's actually a pretty good musician. HIs livestream during the pandemic covering a bunch of Nirvana with other famous musicians (Travis Barker played drums e.g.) was actually pretty good. His latest stuff is also more Rock-Pop borderline country. Plus the Sunflower song from the Spiderman is just so catchy and the #2 streaming song of all time.

Most importantly he just an overall likeable and humble guy. Lots of people let fame go to their head but he's one of those guys who just stayed humble and is generous with time and money. He did a bunch of charity stuff during the pandemic but didn't make a big deal out of it and is pretty open and upfront about his life to his fans. He also appeared at bunch of places from a guest spot on Impractical Jokers to Pokemon video to Fortnite to a NPR tiny desk concert.

As for planes... I get the physics of it... but it still baffles me. Same as a aircraft carrier or giant cargo ship doesn't just sink to the bottom of the ocean. It's just water beneath it. Water. Buoyancy is just really crazy to think about.
It's almost the same reasons a cloud floats or we don't fall through the floor. It settles until is displaces what it weighs. Force up = force down. How far has to do with relative densities. A cloud has the additional push up from air currents rising off the warmer ground. Aircraft carriers use trained whales.

Last edited:
I see this often, but what I dont get is people videoing concerts. they stand there, hold up their damned phone most of the time and I would think looking at the concert through said device most of it.
Just makes no sense......watch the damn concert, no want wants to see your crappy far out video of the concert...

Soccer is my favorite sport, too. Some co-workers loved NASCAR and hated soccer, so we always went back and forth. Me: "OMG. Did you see that? The #12 car made yet another left hand turn. How exciting! But, wait, he's going to make another left hand turn and another and another...What excitement! Just when you thought...wait! ANOTHER left hand turn! In fact, all the cars are making left hand turns, one after the other... Please don't tell me what happens next. I can't stand the excite....OMG! another left hand turn!...and another!!!...and yet another..."

We called a truce.
I think theyve added some road courses just because people who dont watch it thinks thats all they do. Sure, they turn left, but going 150-200 mph with a car less than a foot away from you, and trying to hold your line on the track, while maintaing a draft from the car in front and behind you, then having the split second reaction to avoid a wreck seems all difficult. They probably have better reaction times than some baseball players. On top of the fact that these guys pretty much run a marathon or more every week from all the fluids they lose. From a science perspective, the amount of physics that goes into making these cars perform at a highly advanced level is amazing.

As far as soccer goes, it is definitely the sport with a lot of stamina and very few can do it at the highest level. I just cant understand the concept and nuances of the game. While I know getting kicked in the shins hurts, these guys fall to ground and scream like theyve been shot. I just have a hard time watching a group of people fight all the way down a field just to have the ball kicked clear back to the other side for 90+ minutes. It just isnt appealing to me. I guess thats why everybody gets so excited when a goal is scored becuase nothing really happened for the majority of the time. But to each their own.

I see this often, but what I dont get is people videoing concerts. they stand there, hold up their damned phone most of the time and I would think looking at the concert through said device most of it.
Just makes no sense......watch the damn concert, no want wants to see your crappy far out video of the concert...
I think you’ve hit on a microcosm of society today with their cellphones/videos.

I’d also add sports to the concerts—I don’t get it. Live in the moment.

I think you’ve hit on a microcosm of society today with their cellphones/videos.

I’d also add sports to the concerts—I don’t get it. Live in the moment.
Agree with you and voice. Most of these people, who are mostly younger, do half the $chit they do so they can take selfies and videos and post them to social media to show everyone how cool they are and the awesome life they want portrayed they are living.

Agree with you and voice. Most of these people, who are mostly younger, do half the $chit they do so they can take selfies and videos and post them to social media to show everyone how cool they are and the awesome life they want portrayed they are living.
Listen here, every second of my life is exactly how I portray it on my Instagram. I only jet set, attend sports events, concerts and eat at fun high end restaurants. I’m definitely not sitting in my home office waiting for a virtual meeting to start.

I've done a selfish with wife. Kid's laughed at the picture. Haven't done since. I guess I didn’t know how to pose or smile. It was hilarious.

1) The public's fascination with vapid celebrities like the Kardashians and Chrissie Tiegen
2) Furor when a public figure takes a predictable statement (e.g. The Pope makes a statement about abortion)
If anything stars with Hollywood stars, it's likely whacked. I mean we have about 50-60 years of history where child TV stars have all kinds of issues growing up, yet people still have their kids be in tv and movies. How can't that be a form of child abuse? People want the freedom to speak their minds and make choices, but when a person -- like the Pope, or really anyone else, makes any kind of religious statement they are crushed. I mean we all have to admit many of today's problems go directly back to less people going to church and the breakdown of the traditional family. We KNOW that kids from divorced parents or single parent kids are more likely to act up in school, have poor grades and get arrested and have criminal backgrounds. Yet it continues to happen.

I don't get pro athletes and injuries. Just a few decades ago, baseball teams had starting pitcher rotations of 4 guys, now it's 5 and pitchers rarely throw 150 innings in a season when 200+ was the standard. Supposedly we have better training, better athletes, more knowledge of training and yet we have more and more injuries.

Davidson wasn't popular until people started gossiping about his "piece". He's really only popular amongst a certain crowd of women and gay men.

Post Malone is indeed popular because he's white. He got popular as frat bro music.

Soccer's popularity is pretty easily explained by European influence on the world when the game first took off about 100 years ago coupled with the fact it can be played for nothing by as few as 2 people with anything roughly equivalent to a ball. So everyone from England to the Congo can play it in some fashion.

Pitchers are getting hurt more often now simply because they're pushing their elbows and whatnot to the brink. The number of guys who can throw over 90 mph has jumped by over 200% since the early 2000s, I believe. Back in the old days, having a fastball in the upper 80s was good. Today, that would make a guy a soft-tosser who needs to be able to place the ball in a teacup to make it. A big reason why the shift needed to be nerfed is because it's just a lot harder for batters to make contact today let alone be able to place a ball through a particular gap in the defense. We were headed for a deadball era, which may have completely killed MLB. But overall, I think that uptick in injuries is mostly isolated to pitchers, concussion issues, and teams being more honest about the nature/ severity of an injury. And also a bit of players not playing through things as much. There's just a lot more money on the line now.

Things I don't get
I don't get pro athletes and injuries. Just a few decades ago, baseball teams had starting pitcher rotations of 4 guys, now it's 5 and pitchers rarely throw 150 innings in a season when 200+ was the standard. Supposedly we have better training, better athletes, more knowledge of training and yet we have more and more injuries.⁰
I'm convinced we'll never see another 300 game winner.7u

Things I don't get

I'm convinced we'll never see another 300 game winner.7u
We may not see a 200 game winner anymore. 12 players this year won 14 games or more, with Spencer Strider wining 20 games.

It is but it isn't. I think there is still a metric where wins matter. I mean somebody has to be in the game, doing their job to be credited with the win.
Win/Loss record for a Pitcher is overrated.

It is but it isn't. I think there is still a metric where wins matter. I mean somebody has to be in the game, doing their job to be credited with the win.
Whip, ERA, K/BB, xfip all way more important in evaluating a Pitcher’s performance. There’s a reason why DeGrom won a cy young with a 10-9 record.

I honestly don't understand how a nose ring is attractive. I acctually believe they are degrading.
1697826134383.png