Hoban '23

mrsimp06

They lost an absolute beast in Spearling at RB, the rumor mill has J Long headed back to West Virginia. What should we expect from Hoban this coming season?

Hoban has 12 players coming back that have D1 FBS offers. 8 have P5 offers.

The senior class has 5 players ranked in the top 100 in Ohio according to 247sports. They are #12 William Satterwhite OG, #25 Rickey Williams LB, #86 Tysen Campbell S, #114 Devin Bell EDGE, and #137 Xavier Williams ATH. Satterwhite is a Tennessee commit. He is by far the most highly recruited with 32 offers including Georgia, Alabama, Clemson, Michigan, Florida, and Penn State. Will is the #4 ranked player in the state according to Rivals. Campbell is committed to Central Michigan. R Williams is committed to West Virginia. Bell is committed to Miami OH. Xavier Williams has offers from Ohio U and Western Michigan. Also, Jordan Pritchard-Sewell DL committed to Holy Cross and Von Lindsey OL committed to Wofford College. Senior Caleb Jones RB holds 3 D1 FBS offers, including Kent State and Toledo. Senior Nate Townend OL has an offer from FCS Eastern Kentucky.

Rising junior Eli Lee LB is #33 in the Class of '25 on the same website. He holds offers from West Virginia, Iowa State and UMass.

Hoban also has 4 rising sophomores with Power 5 offers, including Elbert Hill DB (14 offers-Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Penn State, Miami FL, Pitt, and Colorado), Sam Greer OT (6 offers-Ohio State, Michigan, Florida, Miami FL), and Ace Cook WR (Michigan, Miami FL, Pitt, Kentucky). The other is Ace Brown WR/TE (Kentucky). Sam Greer is ranked #3 in Ohio and #78 National for the Class of 2026.

Some returning starters without D1 FBS offers include Nate Cross OL, Tylan Boykin QB/CB, Jalen Hightower WR and Tanner Mintz LB.

Last edited:
Sperling was obviously a special back, but they've been churning out excellent backs and a great running game since Sibley was a sophomore in 2014, and they'll do it again in 2023. Their ceiling will probably come down to how competent the QB play will be when you have to have it, because they are loaded everywhere else.

Week 1 for Hoban is Fredrick Douglas is just coming off of a back-to-back State championship run.

Week 3 is Trinity Episcopal is just coming off winning a state championship in the last four sesons they are 26-9 (2022 season they went undefeated 9 out of 11 games were blowouts)

Sperling was obviously a special back, but they've been churning out excellent backs and a great running game since Sibley was a sophomore in 2014, and they'll do it again in 2023. Their ceiling will probably come down to how competent the QB play will be when you have to have it, because they are loaded everywhere else.
I won't argue, but he was 90% of the offense last year. And to me he is better than Sibley and Traynum.

I won't argue, but he was 90% of the offense last year. And to me he is better than Sibley and Traynum.
I wouldn't say he was necessarily better, but he was certainly more significant to the success of the team. Aside from Sibley and Traynum, those Hoban teams had QB's and other skill position players to fill any void. Sperling was Hoban's offense last year.

Week 1 for Hoban is Fredrick Douglas is just coming off of a back-to-back State championship run.

Week 3 is Trinity Episcopal is just coming off winning a state championship in the last four sesons they are 26-9 (2022 season they went undefeated 9 out of 11 games were blowouts)
Can they both compete with Hoban?

I wouldn't say he was necessarily better, but he was certainly more significant to the success of the team. Aside from Sibley and Traynum, those Hoban teams had QB's and other skill position players to fill any void. Sperling was Hoban's offense last year.
Could argue that he was their offense the year before as well. QB play in championship games let them down IMO

Last edited:
Sibley, Collier, Dickerson, Trayanum, Dawson, Sperling. I didn't say any of them was better than Sperling, I just said they've had a great running game the past 9 seasons, and they will again this year.

Hoban also had great blocking fullbacks in those state championship runs as well as receivers who could beat you deep. Sperling was the most explosive of all of them and made yards out of nothing. If you look back most of those other backs didn't carry the rock more than 15-20 times a game and were playing some defense as well, especially Traynum.

Hoban will run the ball until you stop them and then look for WR deep, Cook is a legit threat and should put up some good numbers if they can get someone who can toss it.

another key is the kicking game. That was also big in the championship teams and has fallen off recently.

Could argue that he was their offense the year before as well. QB play in championship games let them down IMO
Lol I’m not doggin on you and respect your opinion.
Let’s tell it as it actually occurred in that championship game tho.

Hoban’s RB was held in mostly in check and the Winton Woods defense controlled the game.
Not fair to blame the QB in the championship game.

Hoban lost to a better team.

Lol I’m not doggin on you and respect your opinion.
Let’s tell it as it actually occurred in that championship game tho.

Hoban’s RB was held in mostly in check and the Winton Woods defense controlled the game.
Not fair to blame the QB in the championship game.

Hoban lost to a better team.
I think Sperling averaged 5ypc in that game which is obviously below his average but the QB play made them completely one dimensional in that game which obviously played into WW hands helping them control the run game. I didn’t mean to insinuate that they would’ve won the game either way just that poor QB play hurt their chances.

Boykin will move from CB back to QB where he played his whole life up until last season. Cook can also play QB. To be honest Hoban doesn’t need a QB, they just need someone to hand the ball off and throw 3-5 times a game. They should just put Cook at QB and add QB run game with current offense. Should have used Crable the same way. They never let him run the ball which was his strongest aspect. The Defense is loaded, I think the best D in the state this season. Everyone thinks the OL is going to be good but they replace a lot. Starting center coming off a ACL from wrestling injury and the big kid from basketball team has much to learn. All his offers are off size, potential & basketball play nothing to do with football. Hoban vs Riverside for regional championship.

Boykin will move from CB back to QB where he played his whole life up until last season. Cook can also play QB. To be honest Hoban doesn’t need a QB, they just need someone to hand the ball off and throw 3-5 times a game. They should just put Cook at QB and add QB run game with current offense. Should have used Crable the same way. They never let him run the ball which was his strongest aspect. The Defense is loaded, I think the best D in the state this season. Everyone thinks the OL is going to be good but they replace a lot. Starting center coming off a ACL from wrestling injury and the big kid from basketball team has much to learn. All his offers are off size, potential & basketball play nothing to do with football. Hoban vs Riverside for regional championship.
That is where you are mistaken; you definitely need a QB to win a state championship, especially in today’s game.

Wishbone teams aren’t winning big school titles these days.

Can they both compete with Hoban?
I think they can but every time they face one of these out-of-state teams its sometimes a blowout they don't want to face another bergen catholic
their schedule is

week 1 Fredrick Douglas (KY)
week 2 Cathedral Prep (PA)
week 3 trinity Episcopal(VA)
week 4 Akron east
week 5 st ignatius
week 6 linton stockton(IN)
week 7 walsh jesuit
week 8 Glenvile
week 9 st. francis(NY)
week 10 St eds