Here’s how the second-biggest bank collapse in U.S. history happened in just 48 hours

Yappi

Go Buckeyes

Here’s how the second-biggest bank collapse in U.S. history happened in just 48 hours

On Wednesday, Silicon Valley Bankwas a well-capitalized institution seeking to raise some capital.

Within 48 hours, a panic induced by the very venture capital community that SVB had served and nurtured ended the bank’s 40-year-run.

Regulators shuttered SVB Friday and seized its deposits in the largest U.S. banking failure since the 2008 financial crisis and the second-largest ever. The company’s downward spiral began late Wednesday when it surprised investors with news that it needed to raise $2.25 billion to shore up its balance sheet. What followed was the rapid collapse of a highly-respected bank that had grown alongside its technology clients.

Thank the Fed.
Well, I can say straight up that the Fed has not done a single thing that I have found to be the least bit surprising at all, except perhaps to once again wait too long to begin raising rates. These people can’t be so dumb, they gambled and waited because Joe wanted a the pedal to the metal for false prosperity. Then of course, there is the fact that they had engaged in QE for far too long, because everyone loves to print money. Woo Hoooo!
Are you referring to those decisions, or something else ?

Neither of those dynamics surprised me in the least, although stupid, and were exactly as anticipated by this dumb asz. There can be no excuse for a person in the field to not prepare for exactly what the Fed has done.

Last edited:
I have not looked into this yet but I'm guessing it comes down to playing loose and fast with their currency. Much like 2008 I'm guessing Glass Steagall would have prevented this. But the real problem goes much deeper and comes down to the definition of money vrs. fiat currency it is all about faith.
The derivatives market is the insane but predictable child of these monetary policies. The problem is all currencies are debt and trading assets with faith and debt can not turn out well due to human nature/ greed.
This system is extremally fragile, especially since we kicked Russia out of Swift...the faith fade and retraction begins, we are seeing the results of retraction.
I like to look at the global derivatives market as musical chairs of the money changers with many off shoots. Everyone is standing in a circle paying the next guy as soon as/ if the money comes from the last guy... think dominoes.

If this goes down, do not accept the slavery currency,

Doubt seriously if this will be a one off event and ends with SVB. Likely to see more of the same but Joe says the economy is booming. Hope I’m wrong.

Doubt seriously if this will be a one off event and ends with SVB. Likely to see more of the same but Joe says the economy is booming. Hope I’m wrong.
DC loves banking consolidation. Not sure that they care how it happens, in the long run. They think fewer players is a good thing.

Did what little I could to try and poke around our local banks here in western Ohio.

Have you been watching CD rates online? American Express offered a 5.5 % rate a few weeks back. Then my local bank offered a 4.5 % 13 month CD this week. However, another local bank I deal with who seems to have their crap more together as they keep many of their home mortgages on their books rather than sell them off to Freddie or Fannie. They only offered 0.8 % as their highest rate CD. Made me wonder if the 4.5% bank is in dire need of capital and is willing to overpay to get it?

Did what little I could to try and poke around our local banks here in western Ohio.

Have you been watching CD rates online? American Express offered a 5.5 % rate a few weeks back. Then my local bank offered a 4.5 % 13 month CD this week. However, another local bank I deal with who seems to have their crap more together as they keep many of their home mortgages on their books rather than sell them off to Freddie or Fannie. They only offered 0.8 % as their highest rate CD. Made me wonder if the 4.5% bank is in dire need of capital and is willing to overpay to get it?
When you can get a 2-year t-bill for 5% why keep your money in the bank. However more banks are raising their rates on their CD's which leads to less profit for the banks. As for SVB they do a lot of financing to venture capital and that well has dried up over the past year.

Well, I can say straight up that the Fed has not done a single thing that I have found to be the least bit surprising at all, except perhaps to once again wait too long to begin raising rates. These people can’t be so dumb, they gambled and waited because Joe wanted a the pedal to the metal for false prosperity. Then of course, there is the fact that they had engaged in QE for far too long, because everyone loves to print money. Woo Hoooo!

Neither of those dynamics surprised me in the least, although stupid, and were exactly as anticipated by this dumb asz. There can be no excuse for a person in the field to not prepare for exactly what the Fed has done.
LOL who picked the current Fed chief and who was it that kept hounding him to keep rates low. Yellen and Powell both kept rates too low for too long though Powell started raising them in 18 to trumps bellyaching. Now of course he is raising them too fast to fight inflation without considering all the repercussions just as he should have never left them drop to zero as he was too fixated with the decline in the economy over the fallout from the govt. response to covid. However, rates overall are not historically out of whack if he stops raising them now as I can remember double digit interest rates in the 80's but unfortunately, we still have that boogeyman inflation still hanging over the economy, so Powell is in a bit of pickle much of his own doing.

Here is a 7 minute video that does a good job explaining the derivatives market. It is from 3 years ago and the derivative bubble is much bigger.

This bank in particular was put in a bad position because they had huge deposit from the massive profits during Covid. They needed to get some return on those deposits so they bought bonds at a 1.7% yield for 10 years. Not an issue if you take those bonds to maturity. However when the Fed raised rates so fast and drastically it killed the stock market which meant investors needed a new place for their money. If the market can't get a return and they are looking for a safe investment you either put money in the bank at 1% or Bonds at 4.75%. They are going to pull money out of banks and invest in bonds.
Posters on Yappi have talked about doing the same things.

This is a problem for the bank because they then have to sell their Bonds that have lost value to distribute to depositors pulling their money out.

The Feds insistence on raising rates to control inflation that is being driven by labor and wages has now created a massive problem for banks.

Banks are starting to raise capital and offering competitive rates to shore up customer confidence.

LOL who picked the current Fed chief and who was it that kept hounding him to keep rates low. Yellen and Powell both kept rates too low for too long though Powell started raising them in 18 to trumps bellyaching. Now of course he is raising them too fast to fight inflation without considering all the repercussions just as he should have never left them drop to zero as he was too fixated with the decline in the economy over the fallout from the govt. response to covid. However, rates overall are not historically out of whack if he stops raising them now as I can remember double digit interest rates in the 80's but unfortunately, we still have that boogeyman inflation still hanging over the economy, so Powell is in a bit of pickle much of his own doing.
The Fed is trying to control inflation that is being caused by wages.

It is impossible to do.

The Fed is trying to control inflation that is being caused by wages.

It is impossible to do.
Bingo, current state inflation is very unique and unprecedented. The entire situation was exacerbated once Biden (and Trump) started offering stimulus to an economy that was already on fire and labor market that already had a shortage. The lesson learned in the future is we need to break the habit of offering stimulus every time there is a chance the economy might hit a rock in the road. No politico wants a recession on their watch to the point that they will do stupid things at the mere thought of one.

Bingo, and very unique and unprecedented. The entire situation was exacerbated once Biden (and Trump) started offering stimulus to an economy that was already on fire and labor market that already had a shortage. The lesson learned in the future is we need to break the habit of offering stimulus every time there is a chance the economy might hit a rock in the road. No politico wants a recession on their watch to the point that they will do stupid things at the mere thought of one.
It isn't even that as much as 10 million people leaving the work force early. 5 million boomers retired early and 5 million women left the workforce to raise kids.

I've said this for the last 2 years. If we don't fix the labor market, we can't stop inflation.

It isn't even that as much as 10 million people leaving the work force early. 5 million boomers retired early and 5 million women left the workforce to raise kids.

I've said this for the last 2 years. If we don't fix the labor market, we can't stop inflation.
I tell people the economy could shrink up back to 2012 levels and we would still have a labor shortage. Culture wars and our pitiful immigration policy have hurt our ability to bring in new people and new generations are so spoiled through luxurious living that they are no longer having kids because it is tough to drive Audis and go on 6 vacations a year when you have 3-4 mouths to feed. As you mention it will only get worse as more and more boomers leave the workforce. The United States as a whole peaked in the year 2000 when it comes to total workforce participation and has declined since due directly to the boomer generation. We have always depended on immigrants to fill those gaps and have gone away from that.

Build Back Better, the Chips Act, and the Inflation Reduction Act are all aimed at promoting growth as the Federal Reserve is trying to tamp it. All of the growth mechanisms are worthless if you do not have enough people to perform the actual work which of course continues to push wages and cost sky high. Exactly to your point.

I tell people the economy could shrink up back to 2012 levels and we would still have a labor shortage. Culture wars and our pitiful immigration policy have hurt our ability to bring in new people and new generations are so spoiled through luxurious living that they are no longer having kids because it is tough to drive Audis and go on 6 vacations a year when you have 3-4 mouths to feed. As you mention it will only get worse as more and more boomers leave the workforce. The United States as a whole peaked in the year 2000 when it comes to total workforce participation and has declined since due directly to the boomer generation. We have always depended on immigrants to fill those gaps and have gone away from that.

Build Back Better, the Chips Act, and the Inflation Reduction Act are all aimed at promoting growth as the Federal Reserve is trying to tamp it. All of the growth mechanisms are worthless if you do not have enough people to perform the actual work which of course continues to push wages and cost sky high. Exactly to your point.
Total wages paid to employed Americans are up over a trillion dollars a year since 2020. That's serious economic stimulus for the economy.

Agreed, but be more specific - you may have earlier but I don't visit often. "Fix" how? For dems it means adding labor through increasing immigration rates (which was way down, not uncoincidentally). For pubs it probably means increasing the labor participation rate by more coercive measures. Ie. raising retirement age and major welfare reforms. The solution is somewhere in the middle. Which means, hate to cynical, but in the current political system = impossible. Both parties work against each other in order to regain power and "our" collective best interests don't matter.

Another casualty of the wrong headed covid lock down. A lot of people sitting home realized that they could retire early or live on one income.

I just finished having a new home and large barn built on my property. The work was done over the last two years and it was an eye opener. The issue with a lack of skilled tradesmen is real and seriously mucking up the works. I was lucky it only took 2 years to complete my construction.

One thing I noticed was how old most of the skilled contractors were. And the only young people working with them were their sons, nephews and grandsons (yes these are overwhelmingly male fields). And some of the "kids" are opting not to take over the family business. Even the Hispanic crews had more then their fair share of old guys.

Bingo, current state inflation is very unique and unprecedented. The entire situation was exacerbated once Biden (and Trump) started offering stimulus to an economy that was already on fire and labor market that already had a shortage. The lesson learned in the future is we need to break the habit of offering stimulus every time there is a chance the economy might hit a rock in the road. No politico wants a recession on their watch to the point that they will do stupid things at the mere thought of one.

Pubs won't admit that Trump's $1.5 trillion top down stimulus at a time of low unemployment and market already in bubble territory, was a horrible mistake. It BLEW UP the budget - to smitherines - as predicted. Ditto his obscene lack of oversight during PPP and covid stimulus packages. He removed the inspector generals and declared "I am the oversight." Resulting in unprecedent fraud - shocker.

Dems won't admit that Biden's major stimulus, that he campaigned on and appeared more needed during that 2nd half of 2020, was WAY more than needed, and a horrible mistake. By the time it was implemented in early 2021 the vaccine had become more widely available by then and businesses had already begun recovery. He pretty much refused to acknowledge that and stuck with his promises.

Last edited:
Agreed, but be more specific - you may have earlier but I don't visit often. "Fix" how? For dems it means adding labor through increasing immigration rates (which was way down, not uncoincidentally). For pubs it probably means increasing the labor participation rate by more coercive measures. Ie. raising retirement age and major welfare reforms. The solution is somewhere in the middle. Which means, hate to cynical, but in the current political system = impossible. Both parties work against each other in order to regain power and "our" collective best interests don't matter.
It will take a massive over haul of numerous areas. First we need to keep women in the workforce while encouraging having a family. This means solving childcare cost as well as student loan repayments. Work from home can be a possible solution for some fields as well.
Second, unskilled labor is a massive shortage issue right now. This can be quickly resolved via immigration. Post Covid saw unskilled labor depleted by companies willing to train and educate those with work experience and history. The vertical movement of workers was/is real and massive. The bottom needs refilled quickly.
Third, cutting social programs to "force" people to work is crucial as well. To many are willing to collect benefits that are only slightly less than a 40hr work week pay. This might be the easiest to do but least likely because of political ideologies.
Fourth, stop deficit spending to slow down inflation so wage growth can equate to better standard of living. This will help entice those in number 3.
Fifth, retirees. The trickiest of all. Enticing retirement eligible people to work means they either are in need of money or bored. The enticement is very different for each.

Another casualty of the wrong headed covid lock down. A lot of people sitting home realized that they could retire early or live on one income.
That's a stupid take especially for a Conservative. People making a decision on their own situation is a very Conservative thing to do. There is nothing wrong with people being in a position where they don't have to work.
It should be applauded not belittled.

Pubs won't admit that Trump's $1.5 trillion top down stimulus at a time of low unemployment and market already in bubble territory, was a horrible mistake. It BLEW UP the budget - to smitherines - as predicted. Ditto his obscene lack of oversight during PPP and covid stimulus packages. He removed the inspector generals and declared "I am the oversight." Resulting in unprecedent fraud - shocker.

Dems won't admit that Biden's major stimulus, that he campaigned on and appeared more needed during that 2nd half of 2020, was WAY more than needed, and a horrible mistake. By the time it was implemented in early 2021 the vaccine had become more widely available by then and businesses had already begun recovery. He pretty much refused to acknowledge that and stuck with his promises.
And yet those two stimulus packages pale in comparison to the extra money in the economy every year from wage increases.