Help me out on two a days

i’d say 6 hours is probbaly typical. 2 separate 2 hour sessions, hour lunch, hour total install.

i believe Shawnee has done 3 a days before? probably 2 practices and a lift if i had to guess
3 practices. Conditioning at the end of the first 2 to earn your break. Then practice 3 was a combo or Special teams and more conditioning. This usually amounted to part of the team lifting while the other part ran then switch spots the next day.

So a normal schedule was 2 2.5 hour-ish practices with a 20ish minute break after each with the balance being the 3rd practice. Install took place during the breaks.

As I drove home from my 6 a.m. swim yesterday, I figured I would stop by a few local schools to see how the numbers were for the respective football teams. It was probably 7:30 to 8:00 a.m. First stop, Archibishop Alter High School. Not a soul in sight. Head over to Kettering Fairmont... crickets... Oakwood is close by... Nothing... so I called my old broadcast partner and 48 year radio veteran Stu Gardner, who lives in Fayette county and covers Hillsboro.... Stu, are there still two-a-days? "Don't know..."
So it comes to y'all...Are they non-existant?

So did you ever make it back out later in the day?

If a team uses its summer camp days (I know, not mandatory) effectively and uses them for acclimation days, then I dont really see the need to have 2-A Days this year. If the team wasted the summer, then they are only playing catch up in 2-A Days, especially since the season starts earlier.

If a team uses its summer camp days (I know, not mandatory) effectively and uses them for acclimation days, then I dont really see the need to have 2-A Days this year. If the team wasted the summer, then they are only playing catch up in 2-A Days, especially since the season starts earlier.
Even if you used all of your camp days effectively, I am not sure why you wouldn't make use of the opportunity to have these long practices where you can get a lot done.

Even if you used all of your camp days effectively, I am not sure why you wouldn't make use of the opportunity to have these long practices where you can get a lot done.
i’m not against 2-a-days by any means but i get the argument to why some may not need them. back when i played (and most other old guys on here) we didn’t have camp days like they do now. we showed up on Monday morning for 2 a days, and started from scratch (and we found out who stayed in shape!). 2-3 weeks of that, then it’s time to prep for first game.

teams have so much more time between June-July to install, etc that 2-a-days aren’t really necessary if you make use of your time

i’m not against 2-a-days by any means but i get the argument to why some may not need them. back when i played (and most other old guys on here) we didn’t have camp days like they do now. we showed up on Monday morning for 2 a days, and started from scratch (and we found out who stayed in shape!). 2-3 weeks of that, then it’s time to prep for first game.

teams have so much more time between June-July to install, etc that 2-a-days aren’t really necessary if you make use of your time
Still feel like, even if the entire offense and defense have been installed, most coaches are going to want to run the long practices for reps and conditioning. These two weeks are about the only time you can get long practices in full pads in.

Still feel like, even if the entire offense and defense have been installed, most coaches are going to want to run the long practices for reps and conditioning. These two weeks are about the only time you can get long practices in full pads in.
long practices may be beneficial at a bigger school, but at a small school where the same kids are getting most the reps on offense and defense, is 5-6 hours of football beneficial, or is it just running them into the ground?

i don’t necessarily disagree with you, just trying to play the devils advocate!

I'm trying to think back to what we had. I think it was 6am to 10am, lunch and lift. Then we had evening practice with all the coaches present from 5 to 7 or so. Man, it's been a long, long time. LOL!

worst part of morning two-a-days was wet feet and morning swamp a-- from sitting in the wet grass.
worst part of morning two-a-days was.....two-a-days.

We had a coach who conducted the AM from 7-1030 or so, and then from 1-330.

It.
Sucked.

He did get let go after in season two after the first game......

100% this right here.

Taken by itself - "two a days aren't near as hard as they used to be" is both probably accurate and completely ignorant statement. It was several years ago when a nephew was the first of the current generation to play and I couldn't believe when I heard what the kids do now. His dad would always shoot me their schedule to watch. They had basketball all through June and then 7 on 7s right after 4th of July. And that was just the actual competitions vs other schools. if you've been playing football for 30 days before two a days I can see where trying to justify 5-6 hours a day for 3 weeks being kind of hard to do.

I'm more than happy to wear the "get off my lawn" hat about what we used to do, but part of the reason the idea that "kids don't know how to work any more" is because they can't. Unless it's part time at a DQ, they can't have "real" summer job and participate in all the "it's not mandatory but your arse better be there" stuff all summer long.

Not saying it's right or wrong. It's just different.

Last edited:
Those longer practices play into the conditioning of what has turned into close to three hour games with all the passing we have theses days. 30 minutes of aerobic workouts a practice won’t prepare you for four hard quarters and with smaller numbers at many schools, most of these kids need to be prepared to play both ways. I