Help me out on two a days

12penguins

As I drove home from my 6 a.m. swim yesterday, I figured I would stop by a few local schools to see how the numbers were for the respective football teams. It was probably 7:30 to 8:00 a.m. First stop, Archibishop Alter High School. Not a soul in sight. Head over to Kettering Fairmont... crickets... Oakwood is close by... Nothing... so I called my old broadcast partner and 48 year radio veteran Stu Gardner, who lives in Fayette county and covers Hillsboro.... Stu, are there still two-a-days? "Don't know..."
So it comes to y'all...Are they non-existant?

Well the new collective bargaining agreement between the players union and the OHSAA banned 2 a days citing player health and safety. So no one is practicing until September.

In all seriousness, they either just didn’t start yet, or they were still inside doing classroom install when you drove by.

As I drove home from my 6 a.m. swim yesterday, I figured I would stop by a few local schools to see how the numbers were for the respective football teams. It was probably 7:30 to 8:00 a.m. First stop, Archibishop Alter High School. Not a soul in sight. Head over to Kettering Fairmont... crickets... Oakwood is close by... Nothing... so I called my old broadcast partner and 48 year radio veteran Stu Gardner, who lives in Fayette county and covers Hillsboro.... Stu, are there still two-a-days? "Don't know..."
some teams practice at different times of the days, now that teams have lots of coaches who are NOT teachers, and now come from the community

Last edited:
Well the new collective bargaining agreement between the players union and the OHSAA banned 2 a days citing player health and safety. So no one is practicing until September.

In all seriousness, they either just didn’t start yet, or they were still inside doing classroom install when you drove by.
Thanks. Not a car in any of the parking lots, so I am guessing they practiced once...later in the day...

My son's school had their first two a day yesterday. First practice started at 6 am. Short break in between and the second practice started around 10, done for the day at 1230.

Some gwoc schools including Kettering do theirs in the late afternoon until night under the lights.

More and more schools have adjunct coaches as lead position coaches and for that reason many of those teams don't start practice until they get off work. Things have changed.

Some gwoc schools including Kettering do theirs in the late afternoon until night under the lights.
These are both dead on as many teams have shifted to evenings.
My son's school had their first two a day yesterday. First practice started at 6 am. Short break in between and the second practice started around 10, done for the day at 1230.
This is also correct. The old days of have early practice #1 - go to work/home/chase girls - late practice #2 seem to be a thing of the past at the majority of schools in Ohio. I'm sure some still do it, but not sure that was ever the best method to start with.

The OHSAA would sacrifice 10 kids if they thought it would get them 10 more dollars.

Our kids go 6 to 10;30 in the evening. Simulating regular game times

Greenon goes 2pm-8pm now i believe, been doing it the past few years, ever since my grandson was a sophomore or so.

1. i’m sure some coaches have day jobs and aren’t teachers

2. heat acclimation- practicing in the afternoon heat gets kids prepared for what it will be like during some early season games

3. some kids are likely more focused later in the day. im not sure kids want to wake up at 6am for football practice.

4. kids will be at practice in the 3-6pm range during the school year, so it gets a routine going

AFAIK, my school is practicing from late afternoon into the early evening. As mentioned by others, some of the coaching staff members have regular day jobs which make practicing later in the day a better fit. Also mentioned by others, many of the kids are probably happy to be able to sleep in later.

When I helped coach a fall sport, the weeks I hated the most were in August before school started because we would practice in the mornings. It didn't matter what we did or how much sleep I got the night before, but I'd be exhausted for the rest of the day after practice ended. Having the rest of the day free wasn't worth much to me in that case.

Our school for the last 10 or so years has done late practices for 2-a-day's, kids are at the building from 4-9 with a break in between practices. Compared back to when all of us old heads were in school, we don't have nearly as many coaches that are also teachers so they have to work during the day before practice, and many more kids today seem to have some form of a job that they're at during the day.

Greenon goes 2pm-8pm now i believe, been doing it the past few years, ever since my grandson was a sophomore or so.

1. i’m sure some coaches have day jobs and aren’t teachers. Truth.

2. heat acclimation- practicing in the afternoon heat gets kids prepared for what it will be like during some early season games, Eh. One could also argue that practicing when it is a bit cooler leads to better conditioning as they can work harder and get better work in. Coaches can work the players harder in the little cooler weather. Sorta like the argument of practicing outside vs inside in the rain or extreme cold. I used to think ya are a wimp if you went inside, but in reality you get much better, and much more, work in than if you tried to bear it out. Some credence to doing in the elements, get some work in maybe, but get the bulk of it when you can work the hardest.

3. some kids are likely more focused later in the day. im not sure kids want to wake up at 6am for football practice. Know some that have it in the evening and hate it. Sit around all day waiting for practice and wishes they could do it in the AM.

4. kids will be at practice in the 3-6pm range during the school year, so it gets a routine going. Nonstarter.

If you want to stop by and see the Knights they go from 8-5 with a lunch break around noonish.

They aren’t outside for 9 hours lol. As I said they go in for lunch and meeting around noon and I believe the mornings split up so they have a break to go inside
Just being there that long seems a bit much. You can only watch films and learn plays so much before kids naturally tune out a bit. But Alter’s also a catholic school so perhaps they do some religious work/team bonding type things.

Granted I graduated 20 years ago but in my days a lot of of worked a few hours each night at our summer jobs to get a few more dollars before school started

When I was at Shawnee, we were there 7 hours a day.
i’d say 6 hours is probbaly typical. 2 separate 2 hour sessions, hour lunch, hour total install.

i believe Shawnee has done 3 a days before? probably 2 practices and a lift if i had to guess