Hall of Fame

Gh0st

A few key players entering the twilight of their HoF eligibility.

Players in their ninth year of eligibility that are on the ballot for 2021:
1. Barry Bonds (60%)
2. Roger Clemens (61%)
3. Curt Schilling (70%)
4. Sammy Sosa (13.9%)

I think Schilling will make it this year or next year. Bonds and Clemens have been pretty stuck the past few votes. It will be interesting to see what happens this year. They won't get in, but we'll see if they get more support from the voters. Sosa hasn't even been close.

Need 75% of the vote to get selected. Who do you think deserves in?

I would put all 4 of those players into the HOF. At the same time, I would add Mark McGwire, Pete Rose and Shoeless Joe Jackson. I would throw in Rafael Palmeiro and Manny Ramirez as well. Get it all done in one big event.

I would put all 4 of those players into the HOF. At the same time, I would add Mark McGwire, Pete Rose and Shoeless Joe Jackson. I would throw in Rafael Palmeiro and Manny Ramirez as well. Get it all done in one big event.

Manny is on the ballot, at 28% in his 5th year.

Pete continues to add nails to his coffin in terms of the HOF
For sure. By now probably needed to hit Lowes to get a 2nd box of nails.

Having said that, the question is "Is the HOF for all the best on-field players? Or does rule-breaking matter?" Opinions are mixed. My opinion is that the sport should acknowledge the best on-field performers. I mean, OJ Simpson is in Canton. They don't come much worse...

For sure. By now probably needed to hit Lowes to get a 2nd box of nails.

Having said that, the question is "Is the HOF for all the best on-field players? Or does rule-breaking matter?" Opinions are mixed. My opinion is that the sport should acknowledge the best on-field performers. I mean, OJ Simpson is in Canton. They don't come much worse...
Gaylord Perry is in the HOF. He was known to throw a rule-breaking spitball or two.

My opinion on the steroid era is that I'm not as rabid about denying players accomplishments during that time period. For one thing, it was so widespread that you often had a pitcher on steroid throwing to a hitter on steroids who hit into an infield and outfield of players on steroids. How do you quantify how many fewer home runs that should equal for someone like Barry Bonds. It still takes a good player and a great hitter to put square contact on a pitch thrown by a major league pitcher as many times as he did. Even if he'd never become a power hitter, he still would have HoF credentials in my opinion based on other metrics.

I think where Bonds did himself in was how he was notorious for how poorly he treated fans and members of the media. Unfortunately for him, all those media types he blew off when he was a player now hold the ballots he needs to get votes.

Baseball's perfectly fine with the Steroids Era. There was a buzz around the sport and the Home Run chase was something the whole country was following. It brought a ton of fans to the game which are now dwindling. As a fan, I don't feel cheated. I'm old enough to know there was a reason those guys got so big while others didn't come close

But old baseball writers feel they need to judge character before they open the doors to the HOF