GWOC 2023-2024

Two of Centerville's best players were in foul trouble all night with one of them picking up his third in the first half, then fouling out. Their best player didn't even start. Pretty sure that at least evens out the second best player for Wayne's foul trouble.

Two of Centerville's best players were in foul trouble all night with one of them picking up his third in the first half, then fouling out. Their best player didn't even start. Pretty sure that at least evens out the second best player for Wayne's foul trouble.
:)

It's simply a matter of making excuses. It was a good game. The next one will be a good game. Foul trouble is part of the game and effects every team. No reason to think the next time, Wayne's second best player (which is debatable) won't also be in foul trouble. Or someone else.

I would also question your statement that not starting made no difference or that he still played 30 minutes but whatever. The game went the way it went. Centerville was the better team that night.

It's simply a matter of making excuses. It was a good game. The next one will be a good game. Foul trouble is part of the game and effects every team. No reason to think the next time, Wayne's second best player (which is debatable) won't also be in foul trouble. Or someone else.

I would also question your statement that not starting made no difference or that he still played 30 minutes but whatever. The game went the way it went. Centerville was the better team that night.
If you think starting actually makes a difference and you still played your normal minutes average than yeah... I've got nothing else to say regarding this game.

Springfield on the verge of having their 5 straight losing season. I believe the current coach is in his second year. Always been a great job. Just odd to see and this is during two different head coaches.

Last edited:
Springfield on the verge of having their 5 straight losing season. I believe the current coach is in his second year. Always been a great job. Just odd to see and this is during two different head coaches.
Basketball roster looks like a lot of the football players don’t play both anymore. That’s the only thing I can figure. They had some really good teams up until a few years ago.

Wayne played Elder tough at the Pit. Wayne spotted Elder the first 12 points in the game but worked on coming back and took a lead in the 2nd half by as many as 4. Had several chances to extend that lead but missed layups and dunk attempts...... Wayne would lose the lead with under 20 seconds to go in the game as Elder would convert on free throws. Wayne would miss two shots at the end. I was pretty surprised to see Wayne keep this game close and even had a chance to win when Elder completely shut down Cranford holding him to just 4 points. Wayne showed that despite being down they can still compete with the top teams in both the Dayton and Cincy area's.

I predict Wayne will go 5-2 in the back half of the GWOC, finish with a 8-6 record in league, and win out at home.

Hey vamps!

Your thoughts on the basketball coach. He kind of threw the kids under the bus in his DDN comments.

I have never been much of a fan. I remember during his first season, during timeouts, Blue Smith would wander over to the student section and hangout for a little bit. And the coach would just let him.

Hey vamps!

Your thoughts on the basketball coach. He kind of threw the kids under the bus in his DDN comments.

I have never been much of a fan. I remember during his first season, during timeouts, Blue Smith would wander over to the student section and hangout for a little bit. And the coach would just let him.
Do you care to share a link to the DDN report? Thx.

‘Little things’ doom Wayne in tight loss to Lutheran West​

“Just not tough enough,” Wayne coach Nate Martindale said. “Our group’s just not tough enough to win games, especially close games. Down the stretch we just didn’t do enough.

“We’re just not willing to do the little things, the tough things that make a difference in the game. We lost the same way we normally have this year in just not being able to to finish the game and doing the details.”

“Boots Perkins played great today,” Martindale said. “He stepped up big for us, hit some big shots in crucial situations. But we just got to have more guys step up and do what they’re supposed to do.”

Not terrible, but kind of wierd to use the old "not tough enough" tag when they have lost some close games, especially when the talent level in these games are fairly comparable, i.e. This isn't Travis Trice's Wayne teams.

IMHO, the reason they lost was Juan Cranford had his worst game of the year ... and Lutheran West is very good.

Nice win from the outside looking in but CJ is way down this year but maybe it was the was they won that was nice 🤷‍♂️
CJ is rapidly improving. My buddy said they led Beavercreek for 95% of the game. They have pretty good size and talent.

‘Little things’ doom Wayne in tight loss to Lutheran West​

“Just not tough enough,” Wayne coach Nate Martindale said. “Our group’s just not tough enough to win games, especially close games. Down the stretch we just didn’t do enough.

“We’re just not willing to do the little things, the tough things that make a difference in the game. We lost the same way we normally have this year in just not being able to to finish the game and doing the details.”

“Boots Perkins played great today,” Martindale said. “He stepped up big for us, hit some big shots in crucial situations. But we just got to have more guys step up and do what they’re supposed to do.”

Not terrible, but kind of wierd to use the old "not tough enough" tag when they have lost some close games, especially when the talent level in these games are fairly comparable, i.e. This isn't Travis Trice's Wayne teams.

IMHO, the reason they lost was Juan Cranford had his worst game of the year ... and Lutheran West is very good.
Lol this aint even bad or throwing kids under bus

CJ is rapidly improving. My buddy said they led Beavercreek for 95% of the game. They have pretty good size and talent.
Not surprised, not sold on Beavercreek but solid win., a game they would've lost in previous years.

Last edited:
Hey vamps!

I like Coach Martindale and have no issues with him. If pressed to come up with something it would be that he calls timeouts when it seems like Wayne is on a roll. I do see a lot of coaches do that though so there is probably a good reason for it that I don't know. I do not like the DDN or trust anything they put in print. What is quoted is no way in my opinion throwing the kids under the bus. Watching Wayne this year they are soft at times. They do not hustle back on defense at times and seem to give up on plays on the defensive end. They need to improve rebounding the ball on the defensive end. They have improved immensely since the early games in which losses could be contributed to this. I was not at or nor did I see the Lutheran West game so no comment about that game specifically. Maybe the coach with those comments is trying to get 100% effort from these kids.

2 great games Tuesday night:

Centerville @ Beavercreek
Wayne @ Springboro

1 great game Friday

Beavercreek @ Wayne

Fairmont @ Springboro game was a great one that went down to the wire. Is there some bad blood between these two teams as I swear I saw a couple of Fairmont players giving the finger after the game....

If your 7-1 in the GWOC you are pretty good, of course you could lose to the bottom of the league on a given night. 7-1 does mean you are pretty good.

Yea, Beavercreek is, at worst, the 2nd best team in Dayton and the 6th best team in the region for D1.
Could be the 2nd best? Who's the best? I don't think so, may be in D1 in Dayton which doesn't say much but I don't think they're better than Alter or Trotwood, actually lost to Alter however, Williams is doing a great job.