GWOC 2023-2024

Could be the 2nd best? Who's the best? I don't think so, may be in D1 in Dayton which doesn't say much but I don't think they're better than Alter or Trotwood, actually lost to Alter however, Williams is doing a great job.
I think the poster was referring to division 1. And, while Tuesday may change things, they are clearly the second best team in Dayton for division 1. Which I think is saying more than people are crediting. The GWOC has been very competitive in games against the GMC and GCL (gwoc #1 beat the GCL #1), so I think it is saying something.

Alter and Trotwood are good teams but they do not factor in to the seeding for division 1.

I think the poster was referring to division 1. And, while Tuesday may change things, they are clearly the second best team in Dayton for division 1. Which I think is saying more than people are crediting. The GWOC has been very competitive in games against the GMC and GCL (gwoc #1 beat the GCL #1), so I think it is saying something.

Alter and Trotwood are good teams but they do not factor in to the seeding for division 1.
Yes, I was definitely referring to D1. There is no argument for Beavercreek being lower than 2nd in Dayton, for D1. We'll see how they do against Centerville tomorrow night. Right now though, obviously without knowing seeding or brackets, I would pick Beavercreek as one of the 4 teams in SWO to make the regional.

So was anyone at the bevercreek-centerville game? Curious what others thought. I did not think it was much of a game. Never really seemed like Beavercreek had a chance to win it.
And I considered making the 50 minute drive up to see. Glad I chose otherwise lol

I enjoy a strategic game as much as anything. Love seeing good coaching. But I have seen Beavercreek three times this year and all three times they were totally outmatched in my opinion (twice by Centerville and once by Alter). They just don't have the players to match up. I'm not saying they aren't good but they are a tier below the top teams in SWO.

Both teams are well-coached and disciplined. that's why games like this sometimes seem more strategic than exciting.
Elks appear to be maturing as a team. Defense is getting stingier and younger players are starting to find their niche.
Playing a tough schedule "toughens" you. It also builds confidence. Imagine that...
The top Dayton teams are as good as most of the others statewide and should make for a great post season.
Yeah I still see Centerville as a team that can beat just about any team in the state.

Well this statement isn't accurate. They already lost to 3 teams in the state. Plus I'd put money that richmond heights would spank centerville
First off I said just about which doesn’t necessarily mean any team. Secondly, yeah they have lost to teams in the regular season but come tournament time I think my opinion is valid which is that Centerville can compete with and beat just about any team in the state. That doesn’t mean they will beat any team in the state but I think it’d be a bit silly to think they aren’t capable. Obviously they lost, but they had St. Ignatius beat but made mistakes that I’m sure they will and likely already have corrected. Am I saying they are the best team in Ohio and will be state champs? No. But could they be state champs this year? Yes there’s a chance. So again, I see them as a team that can beat just about any team in the state. It’s an opinion.

They're certainly "in the hunt." Young guys are stepping up and team play has improved from a couple weeks ago. From what I've seen D1 is more wide-open this year than the last couple. The NW region appears improved and the Columbus area will have its say as always. Should be some really tough regional games this year, as well as state. Ohio basketball at its best.
Springboro, Fairmont, Creek and Wayne in the GWOC are all capable.
I don't think Springboro is good at all and Wayne and Fairmont are only decent. Any of the GWOC teams is going to have to beat a top 5 Cincinnati team in the district to make the regional, and I don't think any of these teams can do that. Centerville and Beavercreek can though.

Just asking for clarification because it was a general statement and been going to games since I was four and coaching in 4 decades I think know that D2 wouldn't factor into D1 :rolleyes:. I also stated that "....maybe in D1 but that's not saying much...." perhaps you didn't see that part?

I don't think Springboro is good at all and Wayne and Fairmont are only decent. Any of the GWOC teams is going to have to beat a top 5 Cincinnati team in the district to make the regional, and I don't think any of these teams can do that. Centerville and Beavercreek can though.
Agree!

Just asking for clarification because it was a general statement and been going to games since I was four and coaching in 4 decades I think know that D2 wouldn't factor into D1 :rolleyes:. I also stated that "....maybe in D1 but that's not saying much...." perhaps you didn't see that part?
Very fiesty. Thanks for your resume. That changes everything. But my response was because the initial post you responded to was about the division 1 seeding, so Trotwood and alter were irrelevant.

My point was really just meant to point out that top-to-bottom the GWOC is more balanced this year than it has been. Was not intending to imply that all those teams were good enough to win Districts. Though one of them could pull an upset or two. Both District and Regionals should be more competitive this year.
This is about as accurate as gets about the GWOC. It will come down to seeding/placement for the middle tier of teams.

This is about as accurate as gets about the GWOC. It will come down to seeding/placement for the middle tier of teams.
If I am reading the brackets correctly, only 3 Dayton teams will get to Districts. Centerville should take one. Beavercreek will likely get the second. Springboro, Fairmont and Wayne will battle for the third, but realistically whoever wins that will probably play Moeller at Districts and none are good enough to beat them. Could any advance if they played one of the GMC teams? We will never know.

If I am reading the brackets correctly, only 3 Dayton teams will get to Districts. Centerville should take one. Beavercreek will likely get the second. Springboro, Fairmont and Wayne will battle for the third, but realistically whoever wins that will probably play Moeller at Districts and none are good enough to beat them. Could any advance if they played one of the GMC teams? We will never know.
There is still a chance Sycamore gets the #1 seed in Cincinnati if Moeller drops one of the X or Elder games before the draw date. Elder has a chance as well.

I could see any of those teams choose to be in with Beavercreek to avoid Moeller or a top seed Cincy team.

First off I said just about which doesn’t necessarily mean any team. Secondly, yeah they have lost to teams in the regular season but come tournament time I think my opinion is valid which is that Centerville can compete with and beat just about any team in the state. That doesn’t mean they will beat any team in the state but I think it’d be a bit silly to think they aren’t capable. Obviously they lost, but they had St. Ignatius beat but made mistakes that I’m sure they will and likely already have corrected. Am I saying they are the best team in Ohio and will be state champs? No. But could they be state champs this year? Yes there’s a chance. So again, I see them as a team that can beat just about any team in the state. It’s an opinion.
No chance. A few transfers short.

gmc234 said:
No chance. A few transfers short.
His statement is clearly supported by their results:

Lost to Hoban by 4
Beat Moeller by 7
Beat StEds by 2
Lost to Ignatius by 2 in ot

That is literally competing with and beating the top teams in Ohio, they can do it. The Fairmont and Northmont results also say they could lose in the second round

Lost to Hoban by 4
Beat Moeller by 7
Beat StEds by 2

That is literally competing with and beating the top teams in Ohio, they can do it. The Fairmont and Northmont results also say they could lose in the second round
You left out another big win (albeit of an out of state opponent) which was beating Isidore Newman in overtime. Centerville is inconsistent at the moment. Playing to the level of their competition for sure, but let's not forget at this time last year no one was talking about Akron Hoban even getting to state much less winning it. The talent is clearly there. The team is clearly good enough. Doesn't mean they will win it, but they certainly are capable.

Lost to Hoban by 4
Beat Moeller by 7
Beat StEds by 2

Much as I hate to say it...State championship teams don't get down by 20 to Northmont, at home. They get down maybe 6, or 7, then come storming back and win it by 10. The Fairmont loss at home was perhaps a letdown, or a fluke. Northmont exposed them.
Districts, Regionals & probably State are all up for grabs this year, but I'll go with a team that pulls out the tight ones they otherwise could lose, rather teams that go ahead and lose them...St. Ignacius comes to mind, maybe Moeller, or Olentangy. We'll see.

Last edited:
Much as I hate to say it...State championship teams don't get down by 20 to Northmont, at home. They get down maybe 6, or 7, then come storming back and win it by 10. The Fairmont loss at home was perhaps a letdown, or a fluke. Northmont exposed them.
Districts, Regionals & probably State are all up for grabs this year, but I'll go with a team that pulls out the tight ones they otherwise could lose, rather teams that goes ahead and lose them...St. Ignacius comes to mind, maybe Moeller, or Olentangy. We'll see.
I'm not picking them to win state, just sayin they have played with and beat the best teams in Ohio already, like the original poster said

I'm not picking them to win state, just sayin they have played with and beat the best teams in Ohio already, like the original poster said
Agreed and they still could be a contender, but these kind of home losses indicate weaknesses that State title teams typically don't show. Hope to be wrong, as I am still a fan.

Districts, Regionals & probably State are all up for grabs this year, but I'll go with a team that pulls out the tight ones they otherwise could lose, rather teams that go ahead and lose them...St. Ignacius comes to mind, maybe Moeller, or Olentangy. We'll see.
Noticed Jamar Montgomery was not in the lineup last night and had 17 against Beavercreek before the Northmont game. In addition, Eathan Greenberg who also had a big game against Beavercreek only had 3 points. Something was out of sorts last night.

Northmont is a team that looks strong on paper but disappoints overall. The potential is there obviously by the win over Centerville but where is the consistency.

Wayne beating Beavercreek while technically is an upset is not really. Wayne is very tough to beat at Home regardless of how up or down they are. I do not believe Beavercreek has ever beaten Wayne on that floor. While my mind is fading I also do not recall Northmont, Miamisburg or even maybe Fairmont winning there either...... maybe I should research that to see if I am correct or not..... the Covid years are sort of a blur ....

Fairmont losing to Miamisburg.... no way would I have ever guessed that. Fairmont has really looked strong lately.....

While I have seen Beavercreek a few times this season this was the first time seeing them in person. To me they were slow in transitional defense which burned them. They also got out muscled in this game. They had the size over Wayne yet the smallest kid on the court for Wayne was able to get rebounds over kids that were 6 inches taller. I do not see Beavercreek going far in the tourney with the deepest run I could see would be a loss in the regional semi's.