Guest pitchers in travel softball

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
What do you think of teams bringing in guest pitchers for travel softball?

If she is significantly better than the pitcher she is replacing? When the team still has roster pitchers on the bench?

I know there are many ways that guest pitchers are used. Do you think there should be a way to prevent teams from taking advantage of the open roster system?

If she is significantly better than the pitcher she is replacing? When the team still has roster pitchers on the bench?

I know there are many ways that guest pitchers are used. Do you think there should be a way to prevent teams from taking advantage of the open roster system?
Only way I would bring in any outside players into a team is because of excessive injuries and bodies are needed.
Even at that, those additional players are not getting first dibs on PT. I would make sure they get PT as a courtesy for coming in at the last second, but to start over players I have on team already......nah baby nay

Just curious how other people feel. We played a team a few weeks ago and lost badly in the semifinals. Played the same team two weeks later and we were beating the same pitcher after an inning and the team pulled her (we hit her pretty hard). The sub pitcher (very obvious by her talent and uniform) completed the game and won by a run. That starting pitcher angrily left the team in the middle of the game. Not sure if she came back to the team or not.

That is their choice who and how to play their players and subs but we walked away feeling like we were the better team, they just did better bringing in a ringer as a sub. For our team, when we have a pitcher missing, we will bring in a sub pitcher to pitch all the extra innings that are needed. They don't get any primary innings. We also don't bring in subs that are substantially better than those on our roster. IMO, it seems desperate and false pride.

I agree Mr. Yappi. The biggest problem I see with girls softball is the self segregating of teams in terms of talent and ability. For example, level A, B C. I know it is supposed to exist but teams really don't do it and thus you get the problems of teams where winning becomes important and subs come in, etc. Down here in SWOL, at least at the 10U. 11U, 12U in baseball, teams try to position themselves in leagues and tourneys where they play teams at their level. Is there sandbagging? Some but the league has been going on long enough now that that stuff is frowned upon.

Are you stating teams add non-roster players (pitchers) midway through a tournament? I'd say a player has to be on the roster before the tournament starts for the player to be eligible. And each week, a team can adjust rosters. So if a great pitcher's normal team is taking a weekend off and another team wants to pick them up for a weekend, have at it. As you pointed out though, you have to understand there is going to likely be some push back.