Green High School boys basketball coach Mark Kinsley announces retirement

ssn774

GREEN — The man who guided Green High School boys basketball to new heights is stepping down.

Mark Kinsley announced his retirement as a teacher and the Bulldogs' head coach on Thursday after 26 years atop the program.

Kinsley gained his 400th career win earlier this season and leaves with a career record of 411-256. He spent three years as the head coach at Ravenna before taking the job at his alma mater of Green.

Kinsley leaves after three straight Federal League titles and five in the last seven years. Green shared the last two with Jackson. The Bulldogs also won district championships in 2019 and 2022 — the program's only two district titles.

He built a powerhouse in Green. They should be good for years with the solid program from youth through HS. The Next coach has big shoes to fill.
I hope you're right, but I expect a down year for Green next season and did even before today. The Bulldogs will lose a lot of size from this year's senior class. The last three seasons, Green has been the biggest and most physically dominant team in the Federal League and could rely on a rebounding advantage almost every night. Next year's group will not only be younger but will have to rely much more on outside shooting in order to have success. Even more concerning, the JV teams from the last few years haven't been very good. The best freshmen and sophomores were already on varsity.

I think this is a fairly attractive job. It would not be surprising to me if there were multiple candidates with head coaching experience who apply. I heard that Green will also have a teaching position available, which likely increases the pool of potential applicants.

I think this is a fairly attractive job. It would not be surprising to me if there were multiple candidates with head coaching experience who apply. I heard that Green will also have a teaching position available, which likely increases the pool of potential applicants.
Kinsley is retiring so there's at least one job open.

Kinsley is retiring so there's at least one job open.
In this case yes, but schools don't always fill the vacancies when a teacher retires. Due to concerns about the district's finances, Green has at times chosen not to hire replacements when someone retires in order to save money.

And pretty sure coach taught keyboarding so its easily a dropped course? Yes he did have it made there.

And pretty sure coach taught keyboarding so its easily a dropped course? Yes he did have it made there.
He taught business/finance when I was there, which is definitely a candidate for being dropped. From what I heard; the teaching opening is in the English department, so it isn't Kinsley whose teaching job is being replaced, but presumably an English teacher who is retiring.

You all don't understand modern standards/grad requirements if you think schools don't need a finance/business teacher.

Also, since he just announced he was retiring, his job would not be "open" or posted yet necessarily.