• Princeton (8-6)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Middletown (9-13)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lakota West (16-9)

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Intense down the stretch at Princeton/East. Score tied, East airballs a three at the end of regulation, but East fouls on the rebound. 0.3 seconds on the clock, Princeton misses the front end of 1-1. Going to OT.

Well, Sycamore-Fairfield didn't disappoint. Fairfield wins 61-60 in overtime on a Logan Woods 3 with 10 seconds left. Sycamore got the ball the other way and Burgess missed a wide open layup with 3 seconds left. Rogers got the rebound but traveled. On the out-of-bounds play, Southerland was hammered on a corner 3 and the refs swallowed the whistle.
i'd have to see the replay because i was there and Southerland had a wide open look and it looked like he just missed it. that's what it looked like to me.

still a great game on both sides. clearly the best two teams in the league.

i'd have to see the replay because i was there and Southerland had a wide open look and it looked like he just missed it. that's what it looked like to me.

still a great game on both sides. clearly the best two teams in the league.
It looked like the foul hes talking about was on the corner 3 at the buzzer. Southerland just kicked the layup earlier. That game was fantastic all the way around, including the officiating.

It looked like the foul hes talking about was on the corner 3 at the buzzer. Southerland just kicked the layup earlier. That game was fantastic all the way around, including the officiating.
Indians win and though I am a Fairfield fan I am not sure they are the better team. Video posted on IG and he definitely was fouled on the last shot. Officials did as well as anyone could hope. The soph big missed the layup I think you are referring to, not Southerland. None of it matters. It was a great basketball game between two very good teams who will both continue to make noise the second half of the season. I would think the league championship will be one of these two teams.

Burgess missed the layup. On the corner 3, Southerland was initially wide open, but Tolbert left covering the inbounded to sprint at him and pretty much just ran him over, taking out Woods in the process too.

1641390731087.png

The photo above is the ball still on its way with Southerland flat on the ground out of bounds, with Tolbert standing on top of him and Woods also on the ground. Not one official is looking at the corner.

Some very good games last night.
Hamilton gets another league win with 4th qtr comeback. Any Comet fans want to comment on the comeback?
East escapes on the road. East didn't shoot well from the FT line. I don't think they are playing well right now. Princeton is the most improved team in the league from game #1 until now.
FF and SHS didn't disappoint! Sycamore is the favorite in the re-match.
Middies beat the always plodding Lowlanders. Looking at a 3-19 season for them.
Best night of the season for Colerain.

Watched on BallerTV, that was a highly competitive tournament East was in, top 5 team out of NY city and the 2-3 time 5A defending state champs out of Mississippi with the #1 player in the state in his class. East had some unfortunate calls when they cut it to four points. Block/Charge then a technical, that was too much to overcome. Free throws and desperation shots dictated the final score.

I have grown to really respect and admire East over the years since Adkins took over. So anytime I can check them out whether it be on Chatterbox, YouTube or even in person I try to. Adkins doesn't fluff their non-conference schedule so I think he would be pretty good with the experience the team gained and obviously to travel to Miami for this tourney was to win the whole thing but I would imagine the team and staff learned and was able to gage more of the new style against highly competitive opponents.

2 critique I have is 1. Rotations/Subbing patterns ... noticed Coles didn't start while down there (could be disciplinary or just trying some things Mitchell started over him and played pretty well defensively in the two games I watched) and it seems guys aren't really getting into any type of rhythm offensively before line changes occur (someone mentioned its like watching Fleming's rotation when he coached at LaSalle and pressed) 2. They shouldn't press the entire game one it will allow for better rotations and subbing and two you can work on half court defense... I believe their half court defense is average at best because they press the entire game. I say surprise teams with pressing.

I think the freshman (Perry) is playing too much to score and not looking to find guys as a point guard. His points are out of rhythm unless in transition, seems like Adkins is giving him rope to learn because he has such a solid senior group but some times the freshman's play really short circuits their rhythm offensively and when he has to guard really good guards on ball he gets beat. Interested to see what comes of the second half of the season for him. He's gaining a ton of experience which works in his favor and he's super competitive for sure but I'm wondering if his mindset to score is disruptive.

Still think after watching them play this season they're my favorite to win the GMC barring no injuries.
I totally agree with all the comments including on Perry.

Hamilton gets another league win with 4th qtr comeback. Any Comet fans want to comment on the comeback?
East escapes on the road. East didn't shoot well from the FT line. I don't think they are playing well right now. Princeton is the most improved team in the league from game #1 until now.
The top 4 teams last night played in some good OT games.

Are OH and Middletown playing? website shows nothing.
West 88 Colerain 28-enough said
East 71 Princeton 64-This will be a good game. East must make jump shots, Kenrich, Mitchell, and Adkins need to score enough or could be trouble.
Mason 57 Hamilton 56-going with the home team but not with confidence.
Fairfield 64 Sycamore 57-going home team again but the game of the night.
Mitchell hit a big 3 in OT. They are starting to look for him more on the offensive end

your obsession of oak hills is weird.

jtk
()

LMAO carl your comments on colerain crack me up. was it covid issues for them? or something else?

Hamilton seems to be righting the ship over the last few games, could be a spoiler for one of the top teams later in the season.
East seemed to play down a bit could be a let down from the Miami trip. FTs made its probably not close .. they missed 11 and still won by 5. Heard they could be under the weather.
Princeton seems to be gaining an identity now with their team not just trying to find Hardman and he shoot whenever and wherever. Like the Harris kid a lot!! Great multi-sport athlete!
FF and Syc was no surprise, FF squeeked it out but wouldn't have been surprised if Sycamore won either. Round 2 should be interesting.
Middies are building something up there happy to see it.
Colerain well it's just a tough situation for Kerr, he doesn't have anyone. Probably won't have anyone for a while.

This Friday's line-up:
East 78 Colerain 32 Hang in there Cards, Covid ends in 2024.
Fairfield 78 OH 42 Biggest surprise of the night is if 50/50 Drawing exceeds $100.
Sycamore 78 Mason 52 Will the Comets try to control tempo and keep it slow? That's their only chance, but the Aves are too good.
West 68 Middletown 60 Butler County hosts the best games of the night. The Middies are the better defensive team and the Birds are better of offense and in the end will have more offense.
Princeton 65 Hamilton 58 The Blue with a decent win at Mason but they don't have enough for the Vikings.
After the Tuesday match ups this is a ho hummer Friday night.

This Friday's line-up:
East 78 Colerain 32 Hang in there Cards, Covid ends in 2024.
Fairfield 78 OH 42 Biggest surprise of the night is if 50/50 Drawing exceeds $100.
Sycamore 78 Mason 52 Will the Comets try to control tempo and keep it slow? That's their only chance, but the Aves are too good.
West 68 Middletown 60 Butler County hosts the best games of the night. The Middies are the better defensive team and the Birds are better of offense and in the end will have more offense.
Princeton 65 Hamilton 58 The Blue with a decent win at Mason but they don't have enough for the Vikings.
After the Tuesday match ups this is a ho hummer Friday night.
I expect the syc-mason game to be closer than 26

in other years i would as well. but this Aves team is different and this Mason team is about the worst that Greg has ever had and i think the guy has 300+ wins.
I will keep saying this, Mason isn't as bad as you keep calling them. I've seen a much worse Mason team just in the last 10 years. This team is decent. It's just up against a GMC that is elevated across the board this year, making them seem worse than they actually are.

Mason isn't a bad team at all. It's D1 basketball in the GMC. The best teams have next level scholarship players. I expect Mason will bring it on Friday night. Coach Richards team will be prepared and play hard. The 26 point margin was more of a 78 to ..... pattern. This Sycamore team might be the best in the league. Southerland is a 6'7" scoring machine that also fills the stat sheet. Burgess is at least 6'8" and a very good rim protector. Hall is a very good player and they have all the components. I also think their ceiling is up there and they will continue to improve.

I will keep saying this, Mason isn't as bad as you keep calling them. I've seen a much worse Mason team just in the last 10 years. This team is decent. It's just up against a GMC that is elevated across the board this year, making them seem worse than they actually are.
This Mason team is 0-5 in the GMC and is about the worst defensive team they’ve ever had. I’ve thought this all year, but it’s beginning to be clear that they’re not very good.

This Mason team is 0-5 in the GMC and is about the worst defensive team they’ve ever had. I’ve thought this all year, but it’s beginning to be clear that they’re not very good.
agreed. the other part is they really only play 6 guys. it takes it's toll against the top half of the GMC, especially how athletic and physical those teams are.

0-5 and i get it, they've lost to FF and East but they also lost to West, Ham, and Middies. I've seen West and besides the Dudu dude they don't have much at all. yes, Hamilton has their "big guy" but i don't see them as being that good. neither are the Middies. just a bad year for Greg and as i said - one of his worst teams.

Mason doesn't even have to be that talented to be good year after year. They just need to have a few guys that know how to play and then they run their flex offense and play tough man-to-man with good rotation. Richards is a great coach. It's pretty clear this year that they don't have anybody nearly athletic enough to play the way they typically do on defense. Their 3 sophomores (out of their 6 man rotation) aren't varsity-ready, but they have to play them because they have nothing in the junior and senior classes. Mason's worst defensive season since joining the GMC was giving up 44.7% FG in 2020. They have had many years where they give up below 40% shooting. This year they are giving up 46.9% from the field.

They will beat Oak Hills twice and Colerain. Their only other chances for wins will be Middletown, Hamilton, and Lakota West. They are looking at 6-10 AT BEST in the league, with something like 4-12 much more likely, which will easily be their worst season since joining the league (5-9 in 2010 and 2013).

Mason doesn't even have to be that talented to be good year after year. They just need to have a few guys that know how to play and then they run their flex offense and play tough man-to-man with good rotation. Richards is a great coach. It's pretty clear this year that they don't have anybody nearly athletic enough to play the way they typically do on defense. Their 3 sophomores (out of their 6 man rotation) aren't varsity-ready, but they have to play them because they have nothing in the junior and senior classes. Mason's worst defensive season since joining the GMC was giving up 44.7% FG in 2020. They have had many years where they give up below 40% shooting. This year they are giving up 46.9% from the field.

They will beat Oak Hills twice and Colerain. Their only other chances for wins will be Middletown, Hamilton, and Lakota West. They are looking at 6-10 AT BEST in the league, with something like 4-12 much more likely, which will easily be their worst season since joining the league (5-9 in 2010 and 2013).
agree w all you wrote above....however, this is also a year where the gmc as a whole (excluding colerain and oh) is better than usual. i dont want to go down the rabbit hole of "copy and paste this team into this league in year x" but there is no denying this mason team would be significantly better in other years of the gmc. and if you look at their nonconf so far, they beat a pretty good tri-village team (yes small division but they are still good), put up 83 against kings, beat loveland by 20 and loveland is 7-3.

yea they re young, not particlarly athletic, but greg has had teams like this before and their record has been better. this is just an up year for the league

Since the GMC added Mason to its 10 teams the Comets have the best overall GMC won/loss record---clearly lots of good to great years, but this year a young team that had Morton as the only returning varsity player of note means they are down in the standings this year. The 3 sophs will be very good in the next few years---Coach Richards knows it's HS Bball and a down year happens every now and then, unless you are actively working the "HS transfer portal"---Coach Richards coaches those who live in the district as well as he can (Mason is not open enroll) and will improve as the tourney arrives. Just too many strong teams and players in the GMC this year for a young Mason team to knock off the big boys-- 6-10 likely.

Always? Lol Bwahaha ?

Sycamore beats Mason 61-44. Mason played a 1-2-2 zone that Sycamore had a hard time figuring out, but still gradually pushed out a lead each quarter. Once Mason had to go man-to-man midway through the 3rd quarter, Sycamore picked them apart and quickly pushed the lead to 19, where it stayed for most of the rest of the game.

A couple interesting results: I saw Princeton led 42-28 at the end of 3 and lost 47-46. What happened?

Also saw that Lakota East out-rebounded Colerain 40-12. Lack of effort was something that I noticed when Colerain played Sycamore, and it appears to be continuing to happen. If I’m Colerain’s AD, I don’t care that Colerain has no talent. I would care if they play hard, and they’re clearly not. Their coach can’t possibly get another season.