Global Warming

For the science inclined here's an analysis of a recent paper on sun spots and El Nino. Part 1 & part 2:

There is so much we still don't understand. To say the "science is settled" on this topic is beyond ignorant - it's propaganda.

For the science inclined here's an analysis of a recent paper on sun spots and El Nino. Part 1 & part 2:

There is so much we still don't understand. To say the "science is settled" on this topic is beyond ignorant - it's propaganda.
Only the weak think it is settled

1618239018214.png

Now this truly is a big deal in the world of alternate energy:

Converting sunlight into hydrogen is a seemingly ideal way to address the world’s energy challenges. The process doesn’t directly involve fossil fuels or create any greenhouse gas emissions. The resulting hydrogen can power fuel-cell systems in vehicles, ships, and trains; it can feed into the electrical grid or be used to make chemicals and steel. For now, though, that clean energy vision mainly exists in the lab.

Recently, Japanese researchers said they’ve made an important step toward making vast amounts of hydrogen using solar energy. The team from Shinshu University in Nagano studies light-absorbing materials to split the hydrogen and oxygen molecules in water. Now they’ve developed a two-step method that is dramatically more efficient at generating hydrogen from a photocatalytic reaction.

Now this truly is a big deal in the world of alternate energy:

Converting sunlight into hydrogen is a seemingly ideal way to address the world’s energy challenges. The process doesn’t directly involve fossil fuels or create any greenhouse gas emissions. The resulting hydrogen can power fuel-cell systems in vehicles, ships, and trains; it can feed into the electrical grid or be used to make chemicals and steel. For now, though, that clean energy vision mainly exists in the lab.

Recently, Japanese researchers said they’ve made an important step toward making vast amounts of hydrogen using solar energy. The team from Shinshu University in Nagano studies light-absorbing materials to split the hydrogen and oxygen molecules in water. Now they’ve developed a two-step method that is dramatically more efficient at generating hydrogen from a photocatalytic reaction.
Didn't the alien from "To Serve Man" do something like this?

Two of the most egregious violations of this are with Global Warming and covid mitigation efforts. We can't let them destroy science.

“[T]here is no such thing as a scientific ought,” Mises wrote, echoing a famous argument by David Hume. “Science is competent to establish what is.” (For a deeper dive on the is-ought problem, read Hume’s celebrated 1729 work, A Treatise on Human Nature.)

The economist continued: “[Science] can never dictate what ought to be and what ends people should aim at. It is a fact that men disagree in their value judgments. It is insolent to arrogate to oneself the right to overrule the plans of other people and to force them to submit to the plan of the planner.”

Here's a couple of decent articles explaining the natural variation in observed arctic sea ice levels I posted on another thread. Pretty cool mix of science and history:

Over and Over again.. AGW is not catastrophic. The planet is warming.. so what? Much like Covid it is a mole hill made into Mt Everest for the purpose of scaring people into submission.
This argument is beating a dead horse into meat slurry. So ridiculous at this point.
Can’t stop the useful idiot chicken littles from screaming about the sky.

Coming from a "space" guy, that's a pretty big fail.

Really?

Lets say the approach to counter global warming is to seed the upper atmosphere with particles to cut down sunlight reaching the lower atmosphere. You will get cooling since we know that volcanic eruptions can do the same thing. But if you "dim" the amount of sun that hits the earths surface how wouldn't that negatively impact solar energy collection?

Ultimately the only workable large scale solar energy production will have to happen in space. But that's a long way away and will not be cheap initially.

If you want to see what real racism looks like consider what the Global Warming alarmists want to do to Africa:

“Africa’s electricity demand is set to increase significantly, as the continent strives to industrialize and improve the well-being of its people,” says Oxford University researcher Galina Alova. Those who hope for rapid energy “decarbonization” in Africa will likely be disappointed. Alova’s research found that Africa is likely to double its electricity generation by 2030, with fossil fuels providing two-thirds of the total, hydroelectric another 18% and non-hydro renewables less than a tenth.

Yet the progressive left will force Africa to decarbonize (what a great word) as a condition to keep getting their handouts. Meanwhile:

The world, they insist, cannot afford to give Africa a pass on decarbonization – even though China and India are clearly getting a pass, largely because they are mostly financing their own projects. The US Agency for International Development (USAID) has similar anti-fossil-fuel policies. All these attitudes smell of carbon colonialism and eco-imperialism.

And this powerful reality remains in effect:

With nearly 600 million Africans still lacking access to electricity, “it seems immoral to restrict options for energy sources” for the world’s poorest continent, Moore stated. He and Breakthrough Institute scholar Vijaya Ramachandran later wrote that a ban on oil and gas projects in Africa would stifle economic growth and make poor populations even more vulnerable to climate change impacts.

One of the biggest challenges to the Global Warming theory is that natural climate change can explain all the changes we've observed over the last couple of centuries. Meaning that the human fingerprint is to small to see above natural variation.

The answer to this criticism by climate change advocates is that the speed in which the climate is warming is outside what can naturally occur. This study begs to differ:

Abstract
Data availability and temporal resolution make it challenging to unravel the anatomy (duration and temporal phasing) of the Last Glacial abrupt climate changes. Here, we address these limitations by investigating the anatomy of abrupt changes using sub-decadal-scale records from Greenland ice cores. We highlight the absence of a systematic pattern in the anatomy of abrupt changes as recorded in different ice parameters. This diversity in the sequence of changes seen in ice-core data is also observed in climate parameters derived from numerical simulations which exhibit self-sustained abrupt variability arising from internal atmosphere-ice-ocean interactions. Our analysis of two ice cores shows that the diversity of abrupt warming transitions represents variability inherent to the climate system and not archive-specific noise. Our results hint that during these abrupt events, it may not be possible to infer statistically-robust leads and lags between the different components of the climate system because of their tight coupling.

And thus, end all life on planet earth lol. What a galactic boob. :ROFLMAO:

I saw this and my head exploded. These people are idiots. Dangerous idiots. You could argue that atmospheric CO2 levels below 500 ppm, where we are today at about 400 ppm, are to low from a life on earth standpoint.

Between Gates wanting to spread particles into the upper atmosphere to cut down on solar heating and now Kerry wanting to REMOVE CO2 from the atmosphere, we are seeing proof positive that these people are wackos.

Cue comments from Saint Gretta!

Isn't it funny how there's a big overlap between those that want to ban fossil fuels in fear of global warming and those that oppose spending on space exploration? IMO you will not be able to replace carbon based energy sources with alternatives without basing the alternatives in space. At least for the next century.

The AFRL envisions sunlight-harvesting satellites equipped with innovative "sandwich tiles," which will convert solar energy into radio frequency (RF) power and beam it to Earth. Down here, receiving antennas will transform that RF energy into usable power.

I'm more worried about the radical environmentalist war on beef. I'm a guy who says, "It's a good meal if a cow died."

Then this idiot we presently have as president currently comes out and announces he wants me to cut my red meat down to 4 lbs a year!

Dont mess with this man's beef. Im just warning Joe, I will start a shooting war over my access to beef. Lol.

I'm more worried about the radical environmentalist war on beef. I'm a guy who says, "It's a good meal if a cow died."

Then this idiot we presently have as president currently comes out and announces he wants me to cut my red meat down to 4 lbs a year!

Dont mess with this man's beef. Im just warning Joe, I will start a shooting war over my access to beef. Lol.
1619448678914.png

I had a vetenarian buddy who once told me while we were tending a fine-smelling grill that cows are so stupid, we do them a favor by eating them.

Interesting comments from a former Obama administration officer:

Dr. Steven Koonin, the former undersecretary for the Department of Energy under President Obama, is calling out the Biden administration for its position on the “climate crisis” and says the data doesn’t support the “hysteria.”

“What I realized, is that, although you hear people talking about ‘we’re going to believe in the science, the science is settled, we’ve got an existential crisis’ – when you actually read the science, it doesn’t support that kind of hysteria at all,” he said in an interview with Fox News last week.

Koonin explained that according to the data in the assessment reports from the United Nation’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) and the U.S.’s National Climate Assessment, there is no justification for radical measures proposed by Joe Biden’s climate agenda.

Joe Biden’s plan, announced during a two-day climate summit that began on Earth Day, calls for the slashing of carbon emissions by over half in less than ten years, and the United States becoming a zero-emissions economy by 2050.

“Eventually we will probably need to do something about this, but the scope and scale of what the Biden administration proposed for the U.S., I think is just not there in the data,” he said, adding, “It’s not there in the science.”

“For example, both research literature and government reports state clearly that heatwaves in the US are now no more common than they were in 1900, and that the warmest temperatures in the US have not risen in the past fifty years,” Koonin wrote in the New York Post last week. “When I tell people this, most are incredulous. Some gasp. And some get downright hostile.”

Answer this simple question Mr. President: "If we're not building the cars in America why the hell do you think we'll build the blades for wind turbines?"