Glenville or Ginn Academy?

Crimson and Black

Which is the school that the football program represents? Are they the Tarblooders of Ginn Academy or the Tarblooders of Cleveland Glenville? Not looking for a fight or to cast any dispersion. My understanding is they are two separate schools. I know everyone refers to them as Cleveland Glenville, but how does the Ginn Academy figure into the picture? I don’t think I’ve seen an answer in all this Glenville attention on this board.

Ginn Academy is a magnet school that does not offer sports. As such, students there have a participation opportunity at the district school in their home attendance zone, or if they live out of the district, at the district school closest to their residence. If they live in the Glenville attendance zone, they can play for Glenville. If they don't, they can't.

It's unclear how many kids on Glenville's roster attend Glenville and how many attend GA.

It is unclear, but a few years back an article basically implied the football players almost all attended Ginn, perhaps so the Coach can keep an eye on them.

It is unclear, but a few years back an article basically implied the football players almost all attended Ginn, perhaps so the Coach can keep an eye on them.
So is the football team Cleveland Glenville or Ginn Academy? I’m not the smartest guy in the world, but I’m missing something. If a Ginn Academy Student wants to play football he must play for the school in his attendance zone?

Ginn Academy is a magnet school that does not offer sports. As such, students there have a participation opportunity at the district school in their home attendance zone, or if they live out of the district, at the district school closest to their residence. If they live in the Glenville attendance zone, they can play for Glenville. If they don't, they can't.

It's unclear how many kids on Glenville's roster attend Glenville and how many attend GA.
Thank you. No aspersions on C&B for asking the question, but maybe we could ask Yappi to post this as a stand alone thread + answer every year during week 1 of regular season & week 11 of the playoffs.

Last year was a 'blast' each week of the playoffs when this topic was debated Mon - Weds on the game threads...

Last edited:
So is the football team Cleveland Glenville or Ginn Academy? I’m not the smartest guy in the world, but I’m missing something. If a Ginn Academy Student wants to play football he must play for the school in his attendance zone?
It's like NYC. In New York, the city split most of the massive high schools into multiple 'smaller high schools' in the same building. Each high school with its own primary cause or theme. Arts, vocational, etc. But all in the same building. For sports, they are one team and represent the campus. So, you'd have "Erasmus Educational Campus" as the name of a team representing several high schools but one high school building. And in many cases, the 'team' just goes by the name the building had before the restructuring.

In Cleveland, this is similarly the fashion with Glenville. It's two 'schools' but just one building. So, it's Glenville. Full stop.

It’s pretty clear. Ginn Academy doesn’t offer sports, the young men participate for CMSD schools. Glenville has football players that attend Ginn Academy and some attend Glenville. There are football and kids that play basketball and or run track that attend Collinwood, John Hay, etc. I hope that helps.

My son attends Ginn Academy, Coach Ginn is a strong presence that I wanted my son to be daily. It’s aligned with the policy that many districts and schools have requiring the HC to also have a daily job in the building. Not sure I’d quantify that as “keeping an eye on them” but I think I know what you meant.

It's like NYC. In New York, the city split most of the massive high schools into multiple 'smaller high schools' in the same building. Each high school with its own primary cause or theme. Arts, vocational, etc. But all in the same building. For sports, they are one team and represent the campus. So, you'd have "Erasmus Educational Campus" as the name of a team representing several high schools but one high school building. And in many cases, the 'team' just goes by the name the building had before the restructuring.

In Cleveland, this is similarly the fashion with Glenville. It's two 'schools' but just one building. So, it's Glenville. Full stop.
Seems pretty clear if one is reading without an agenda.

Reading is fundamental…
I’ve read and re-read the explanations. I’m only familiar with the traditional high school operation. Such as public and private schools. The Glenville situation appears to be a hybrid and it’s a concept I don’t fully understand. OSHAA doesn’t have a problem with how things are done there and I guess I don’t either but that doesn’t make it simple to understand.

Last edited:
I’ve read and re-read the explanations. I’m only familiar with the traditional high school operation. Such as public and private schools. The Glenville situation appears to be a hybrid and it’s a concept I don’t fully understand. OSHAA doesn’t have a problem with how things are done there and I guess I don’t either but that doesn’t make it simple to understand.
I'm not sure what is so difficult to understand conceptually or in application. Ginn Academy doesn't offer extracurricular activities such as athletics, so the students that attend have to play sports at "traditional" schools that have active athletic programs. It's no different than kids that attend the Akron Early College or STEM academy here in Akron, they have to play sports or participate in band at other schools in the city. For example the Livingston twins, they attended the Akron STEM school, but as freshmen and in their junior year they played on the Buchtel basketball team. They left Akron for Oak Hill for their senior year, but as STEM school students they were able to play at Buchtel. I'm not trying to insult or offend you at all, but this isn't a very complex thing to me.

I'm not sure what is so difficult to understand conceptually or in application. Ginn Academy doesn't offer extracurricular activities such as athletics, so the students that attend have to play sports at "traditional" schools that have active athletic programs. It's no different than kids that attend the Akron Early College or STEM academy here in Akron, they have to play sports or participate in band at other schools in the city. For example the Livingston twins, they attended the Akron STEM school, but as freshmen and in their junior year they played on the Buchtel basketball team. They left Akron for Oak Hill for their senior year, but as STEM school students they were able to play at Buchtel. I'm not trying to insult or offend you at all, but this isn't a very complex thing to me.
I guess I just haven’t kept up with how secondary education has evolved even though I have 2 children that are high school teachers. One taught in charter schools in 2 different states and now is in a public school setting and the other has always taught in traditional public schools. What you are explaining seems complicated but I’m old so maybe I’m not supposed to understand.

I'm not sure what is so difficult to understand conceptually or in application. Ginn Academy doesn't offer extracurricular activities such as athletics, so the students that attend have to play sports at "traditional" schools that have active athletic programs. It's no different than kids that attend the Akron Early College or STEM academy here in Akron, they have to play sports or participate in band at other schools in the city. For example the Livingston twins, they attended the Akron STEM school, but as freshmen and in their junior year they played on the Buchtel basketball team. They left Akron for Oak Hill for their senior year, but as STEM school students they were able to play at Buchtel. I'm not trying to insult or offend you at all, but this isn't a very complex
One of the charter schools my daughter taught at had all of its own sports teams and they didn’t play for another school. The other charter school she taught at didn’t have any sports teams at all. The kids and parents that went to that school knew they were signing up for an education and didn’t have a problem with not having sports. It was a school that focused on getting kids to college using academics. They didn’t want or have to go to other schools/districts for what they wanted.

One of the charter schools my daughter taught at had all of its own sports teams and they didn’t play for another school. The other charter school she taught at didn’t have any sports teams at all. The kids and parents that went to that school knew they were signing up for an education and didn’t have a problem with not having sports. It was a school that focused on getting kids to college using academics. They didn’t want or have to go to other schools/districts for what they wanted.
My nephew is a student at Ginn, he's a freshman QB on the Glenville football team. If he was a band student or cheerleader he could also participate at Glenville. I have a godson that attends STEM, he runs track for the Firestone High School track team. I'm not aware of any charter or non-traditional schools locally that have their sports teams. Does she teach in Ohio? I would imagine things like this vary from state to state.

My daughter was in Chicago at the first charter school and then in Pittsburgh at the 2nd one. Now she is at a public school in Pittsburgh. My son was in California for 15 years and now is in Dallas. All of his years were in public schools. So yeah it appears things are different according to what state you are talking about.

My nephew is a student at Ginn, he's a freshman QB on the Glenville football team. If he was a band student or cheerleader he could also participate at Glenville. I have a godson that attends STEM, he runs track for the Firestone High School track team. I'm not aware of any charter or non-traditional schools locally that have their sports teams. Does she teach in Ohio? I would imagine things like this vary from state to state.
I know I’m really sounding stupid here but since the conversation was brought up I’d like to understand just a little bit more. Can a student at Ginn play football or be in the band at another school other than Glenville? And can a student from another school play football or be in the band at Glenville. I’m not trying to stir the pot. I truly don’t understand how it all works with a student attending one school and participating in extra curricular activities at another one.

Sure thing.

Can a student at Ginn play football or be in the band at another school other than Glenville? And can a student from another school play football or be in the band at Glenville.
Dunno about the band (probably doesn't matter), but if he doesn't live in the Glenville attendance zone, he can't play football for Glenville.

If a student lives in the Glenville attendance zone but attends class at a different school, he must play football at Glenville.

Bottom line: athletic participation is determined by where you live, not by where you go to school. So yeah, you go to class at one school and play sports for another.

Two entities that come together to beat their opponents and do not commit any felonies in the process, or name any fields after coaches that cover up felonies. Don't really care where the kids live as long as they don't commit felonies.