Game canceled this Friday

I know there is a shortage but everyone else has helmets so it’s most likely on the district.
This has been a national issue. They send them out right after the season to get reconditioned. Most programs order equipment as soon as they know their budget and estimated roster numbers. They’e been backed up for two years.

This is an issue across the entire country. I came across a thread on twitter where coaches were begging to buy helmets from other teams. Any helmet that gets decommissioned has to be replaced and the suppliers don't have new stock. Also what has happened is riddell would refuse to service schutt and vice versa. Its a mess.

When I played football they never had this problem, there was no sending them back for reconditioning or decommissioning them, we just used the same helmets every year with no problem. What a crock of ****.... Everything is FUBAR anymore
I coached 30 years ago and we had to send helmets back then to get serviced

The statistics show the "no problem" claim is simply false.
Hey I never got any concussions, mind you I was a FS or the nickel/dime back on defense and on offense a WR, and also the back up kicker and punter. Actually we never punted in my career that I recall, and we never attempted any field goals or 1 point tries. So basically there was just the kickoffs...

Mind you when my dad started playing football they just implemented the single bar helmets. And he didn't get any concussions either and every team only had 11 or 12 helmets in total for the whole team.

"Mind you when my dad started playing football they just implemented the single bar helmets. And he didn't get any concussions either and every team only had 11 or 12 helmets in total for the whole team."

I did (1970's). I was told to man up and get back on the field. Yeah, I was a tough guy.

Ten years later, I came down with meningitis on two separate occasions because the impact led to the opening of a seam in the impervious lining of the body of fluid surrounding the brain and spinal cord. Four spinal taps, two brain surgeries, and I lost my sense of smell for life as they had to sever the olfactory nerve between the nose and brain to access the repair site. I can never play contact sports again.

Past absence of knowledge is not a repudiation of facts.

(edit at 2:36 for spelling...)

Last edited:
Hey I never got any concussions, mind you I was a FS or the nickel/dime back on defense and on offense a WR, and also the back up kicker and punter. Actually we never punted in my career that I recall, and we never attempted any field goals or 1 point tries. So basically there was just the kickoffs...

Mind you when my dad started playing football they just implemented the single bar helmets. And he didn't get any concussions either and every team only had 11 or 12 helmets in total for the whole team.
What a flawed way of thinking.

When I played football they never had this problem, there was no sending them back for reconditioning or decommissioning them, we just used the same helmets every year with no problem. What a crock of ****.... Everything is FUBAR anymore
Which one is you simkon?
1660505416608.png

They didn't even know what a concussion was in those days. Stop it.

They didn't even know what a concussion was in those days. Stop it.
Hey I got 3 concussions as a kid, but I didn't get any playing football. I got two in little league, got drilled in the head by a fastball on two occasions, one of the pitchers went on to play for the RedSox organization and won a state championship in baseball as the starting pitcher and one went on to play in the NFL.
I got one playing basketball after taking a charge from a future NBA player.

I don't recall any games cancelled for this last year, but there was a thread last summer about equipment issues.

So if there is such a back logged of helmets that need to be reconditioned, why is there only 1 team that seems to be affected by it?

So if there is such a back logged of helmets that need to be reconditioned, why is there only 1 team that seems to be affected by it?
Some inner city and smaller schools probably had minimal equipment in the first place. I am sure bigger and more affluent schools have more equipment so when helmets get decommissioned they have plenty of extras.

Also, if a helmet worn by a big-headed player (linemen who put a lot more stress on them) has their helmet decommissioned, they can't just give 280-pound linemen a helmet worn by a 150-pound receiver. It simply won't fit. I know one local school that had that very issue and luckily, they were able to buy a few helmets from another school that had a few extras.

Also, if a helmet worn by a big-headed player (linemen who put a lot more stress on them) has their helmet decommissioned, they can't just give 280-pound linemen a helmet worn by a 150-pound receiver. It simply won't fit. I know one local school that had that very issue and luckily, they were able to buy a few helmets from another school that had a few extras.
I’m sure the smaller players were able to grab from from the middle school, I’ve seen some schools hurting more at the lower levels then high school. I did see riddell said all orders already placed would be fulfilled by September

Some inner city and smaller schools probably had minimal equipment in the first place. I am sure bigger and more affluent schools have more equipment so when helmets get decommissioned they have plenty of extras.
Again, there seems to be only 1 school that has an issue.