Former High School Stars in Professional Baseball

The highest Ohioan that I know that was drafted in the 2021 MLB draft was Seth Lonsway from Celina HS and Ohio State
Seth was drafted in the 6th Round by the San Francisco Giants
So far this year in A ball in long relief, he has a 3-0 record with 4.15 ERA and 23 K in 17.1 innings.
Quincy Hamilton from Centerville HS , and Wright State was taken in the 5th round by the Houston Astros I beleive.

Ryan Feltner (Walsh Jesuit/OSU) pitched again May 8, getting the win in AAA Albuquerque's 11-5 win against Oklahoma City.
Ryan went 5 innings surrendering 2 ER and 4 Hits with 5K.
He's 4-0 in AAA this season.

We’re definitely talking about active players.
If we’re talking about ever, you have to start with Cy Young.

Patrick Murphy, Canton Central Catholic 2015, signed by the Miami Marlins.

Josh Weir - The Repository

The weather was warm and the adrenaline was pumping inside Patrick Murphy.

The 2015 Canton Central Catholic High School graduate — a lefty relief pitcher readying for his second season with the Tri-City ValleyCats — liked how the baseball was coming out of his hand.

During this May 1 practice session, Murphy faced a real batter for the first time in months. Just him, a catcher and a hitter on the Bruno Stadium field in Troy, N.Y., trying to get ready for a season on the periphery of professional baseball, a place where many big-league dreams try to hold on for dear life, the independent Frontier League.

“Toward the end of practice, my manager came up to me and goes, ‘How hard do you think you were throwing today?’” Murphy recalled. “I just went off what my teammate said, maybe 92 to 94. He was like, ‘Man, you were 94 to 96, and you topped out at 97.’

“I thought he was messing around with me.”

Murphy never threw 97 miles per hour in his life. The last time he was clocked before leaving home for this abbreviated spring training, he was in the 91-93 range.

The manager, former big league slugger Pete Incaviglia, called a scout for the Miami Marlins. Four days later, just hours after throwing one inning in an exhibition game with the scout watching, Murphy got a call that the Marlins wanted to sign him.

This is no overnight success-type story. It is a case study in perseverance and a stunning development for a kid — now a 25-year-old man — who has endured three surgeries and multiple career crossroads where he considered hanging up his glove and cleats for good.

The hero of Central Catholic’s 2015 state championship team, Murphy’s moments of glory on the baseball field have been limited since leaving high school.

Getting that call from the Marlins felt pretty glorious.

“I started crying,” Murphy said. “We did a group FaceTime with my family and both my parents started crying, too. It was pretty emotional.”

From Huntington, W.V. to Columbus to Sam Williams' backyard to an empty net at Diamond Dreams Sports Academy on Southway St., Murphy’s backstory reads like the Hollywood script.

A high school star, Murphy went 9-1 with a 0.90 ERA and 90 strikeouts in 62 innings as a senior at Central. He threw a one-hit shutout in a state semifinal win against Wheelersburg, then got the final out and the save the next day in a 4-2 win against Cincinnati Summit Country Day, earning the Crusaders the Division III state championship.

Murphy then headed to Marshall University, where a “SLAP” tear in the back of his shoulder prematurely ended a very good freshman season.

About five weeks into his sophomore season, his elbow popped. The dreaded Tommy John surgery was needed and the recovery from that required him to sit out his entire third season as well.

Halfway through his fourth season at Marshall, after all the work to get back from Tommy John, he felt a pop in his shoulder during a game. His heart sank. He had suffered a labrum tear.

Another surgery coming. Another year down the tubes.

“All that was on my mind was I figured I was done playing,” Murphy said. “I thought I threw the last pitch of my career.”

The original MRI did not paint a pretty picture, and Murphy describes the weeks leading up to that third surgery in the spring of 2019 as some of his darkest days.

But the damage was not as bad as previously feared once doctors got into the shoulder and only an arthroscopic procedure was needed, rather than a reconstruction of the labrum.

Murphy was throwing again in six weeks. He transferred to Ohio State for a fresh start.

Five appearances into his Buckeyes career, COVID shut down the 2020 season.

With facilities closed and athletes basically left to fend for themselves, Murphy found a place to work and much-needed encouragement through a local group of young pros.

He began working out with Sam Williams and Glen Richardson, both Jackson products and at the time pitching in the minor league systems of the Padres and Rangers, respectively. Orrville native J.T. Perez also was part of the group, along with soon-to-be draftees Kyle Nicolas and Dillon Dingler from Jackson.

They went to local parks and ballfields. They threw off a portable mound in Williams’ backyard in Jackson Township.

“Being around them kind of pushed me because I obviously wanted to get where they were at,” Murphy said.

If Murphy’s parents, Joseph and Mary Cay, and his girlfriend, Lauren Beris, were the support he needed off the field, Williams was the support he needed on it.

The two have known each other since they were 9 taking pitching lessons from pro scout Nick Venuto at the J.Babe Stearn Center.

Williams is a fellow lefty who worked through Tommy John surgery in college to get a shot as an undrafted free agent with the Padres organization. He stayed in Murphy’s ear and did allow him to drift away.

“I kept telling Pat, ‘You’re waking up and you’re throwing with us. You’re not just going to quit,’” Williams said. “Everything was there. He was not far off.”

Williams saw how hard Murphy worked.

He saw his intelligence and ability to pick things up quickly.

He saw a four-pitch repertoire — fastball, sinker, slider, cutter — that could play against good hitters.

Despite all the uncertainties with COVID, Murphy returned for a second year at Ohio State and went 3-1 with a 6.57 ERA in 15 appearances out of the bullpen.

He went undrafted last summer and, after some potential free agent signings fell through, again considered walking away from baseball.

His pitching coaches at Ohio State — Dan DeLucia and Brad Goldberg — encouraged him to give independent ball a try, so Murphy did. He threw well for Tri-City in 19 appearances last season, finishing 5-2 with a 3.69 ERA and 28 strikeouts in 31.2 innings.

Williams announced his retirement from baseball last month, coincidentally less than three weeks before Murphy got his break with the Marlins.

Williams basically felt like he had plateaued a bit and that it was time to move on with his life.

He feels Murphy is on a different trajectory.

“I was just like, ‘You’ve got to keep throwing, man, because your stuff is really good,’” Williams said. “I admit to everyone: I made it to Double A, and Pat’s stuff is on another level than mine. He’s super talented. I think finally someone has seen that and maybe — I don’t want to say ignored the injuries — but maybe overlooked them finally and realized he’s had some healthy years and still has a lot to give.”

Murphy is not sure to what to attribute his recent jump in velocity. His offseason work certainly didn’t hurt.

He spent a month in Charlotte training with Williams. He worked with trainer Josh Elleman in Cincinnati, always looking for ways to improve. He threw to catchers at Central’s practices once its season started, and he threw to that empty net at Diamond Dreams.

Fast forward to May 5, Murphy felt the most pressure he’s ever experienced for an exhibition game.

“There was one guy in the stands and it was the Marlins scout,” he said.

He jammed a few batters, struck out one and broke a bat in his one inning of work. He allowed one jam-job single.

Less than four hours later, while pulling into his apartment complex, he got the call that made all the struggles worth it.

Murphy hasn’t been assigned to an affiliate yet. Since he was in the middle of spring training with Tri-City, he’ll work at the Marlins facility in Jupiter, Fla. until they feel he is ready.

Could major league dreams become a reality someday for Murphy?

Williams wouldn’t bet against his friend.

“If he puts it together, sequencing wise and kind of figures it out,” Williams said, “without a doubt I think he has the stuff to play in the bigs someday.”

Cam Alldred from CCD just got called up by the pirates. Had a 12.1 scoreless inning streak in AAA. May pitch against the reds tonight. Believe he was picked in the 24th rd out of UC

Some Ohioans in the Majors are playing really well right now.
Eric Lauer (Milwaukee Brewers and Midview HS) is 3rd in the majors in wins with 5 and 13th in ERA at 2.31.
Andrew Benintendi (KC Royals and Madeira HS) is 10th in the Majors in batting average at .321
Kyle Schwarber (Philadelphia Phillies and Middletown HS) is 13th in the Majors in HR with 10.

Ryan Feltner (Walsh Jesuit/OSU) was called back up to the majors in the last week for the Colorado Rockies.
He pitched on May 25 against the Pirates. Ryan went 5 innings giving up 2 runs on 3 hits with 7K. The Rockies were winning 5-2 when he exited the game but would go on to lose 10-5.
Today Ryan had his finest major league outing, pitching 7 strong innings giving up 1 run on 4 hits with 6K and got the win in Colorado's 7-1 victory over the Miami Marlins.

I could only find 3 current MLB players from Northwest Ohio

Chris Bassitt - 2007 Genoa HS (Akron U)
2011 16th round pick currently a starting pitcher for the Mets

Matt Wisler - 2011 Bryan HS
2011 7th round pick currently pitching out of the bullpen for the Rays

Art Warren - 2011 Napoleon HS (UCinci/Ashland)
2015 23rd round pick currently pitching out of the bullpen for the Reds

Ryan Feltner (Walsh Jesuit/OSU) was called back up to the majors in the last week for the Colorado Rockies.
He pitched on May 25 against the Pirates. Ryan went 5 innings giving up 2 runs on 3 hits with 7K. The Rockies were winning 5-2 when he exited the game but would go on to lose 10-5.
Today Ryan had his finest major league outing, pitching 7 strong innings giving up 1 run on 4 hits with 6K and got the win in Colorado's 7-1 victory over the Miami Marlins.
Looks like he's making a bid to stay in the majors. Not easy being a pitcher in Colorado.

Looks like he's making a bid to stay in the majors. Not easy being a pitcher in Colorado.
Yup, it’s very tough in the altitude. The last Colorado pitcher to pitch in the All Star game was Greg Holland in 2017 and before that Ubaldo Jimenez in 2010.

St. Ignatius:

Derek Dietrich ‘07 (INF) – 8 years in MLB (Miami, Cincinnati, Texas). He’s now playing with the Yankees’ AAA affiliate, Scranton-Wilkes Barre

Luke Farrell ‘09 (P) – 5 years in MLB (Cincinnati, Chi-Cubs, Texas, Minnesota). He’s now playing with the Cubs' AAA affiliate, Iowa.

Nick Margevicius ’14 (P) – 3 years in MLB (San Diego, Seattle). He’s now playing with the Mariners' AAA affiliate, Tacoma

St. Ignatius:

Derek Dietrich ‘07 (INF) – 8 years in MLB (Miami, Cincinnati, Texas). He’s now playing with the Yankees’ AAA affiliate, Scranton-Wilkes Barre

Luke Farrell ‘09 (P) – 5 years in MLB (Cincinnati, Chi-Cubs, Texas, Minnesota). He’s now playing with the Cubs' AAA affiliate, Iowa.

Nick Margevicius ’14 (P) – 3 years in MLB (San Diego, Seattle). He’s now playing with the Mariners' AAA affiliate, Tacoma
That’s pretty impressive for 1 school.
Is Luke Farrell related to the former baseball GM?

That’s pretty impressive for 1 school.
Is Luke Farrell related to the former baseball GM?

That’s right – Luke Farrell is the son of John Farrell, who played with the Indians, Angels and Tigers, was in the Indians front office and managed the Red Sox and Blue Jays.

John Farrell has 2 other sons that attended and played at Ignatius:

Jeremy Farrell (’05) was drafted by the Pirates out of Univ. Virginia and played 6 seasons in the minor leagues with his highest level being at AAA with the Pirates’ affiliate Indianapolis. He’s now in the Reds’ front office as director, player development.

Shane Farrell (‘07 ) was drafted by the Blue Jays out of Marshall Univ, but did not play professionally because of health issues. He’s now in the Blue Jays’ front office as director, amateur scouting.

Shane Farrell was a teammate/classmate of Derek Dietrich. In their '07 senior year, Ignatius lost to Lakota West in the state semfinals

Dominic Canzone (Walsh Jesuit/Ohio State) is heating up in June. Playing in AAA Reno Dominic is hitting .385 this month with 4 HRs and hit a grand slam on June 8 and again on June 10.

I could only find 3 current MLB players from Northwest Ohio

Chris Bassitt - 2007 Genoa HS (Akron U)
2011 16th round pick currently a starting pitcher for the Mets

Matt Wisler - 2011 Bryan HS
2011 7th round pick currently pitching out of the bullpen for the Rays

Art Warren - 2011 Napoleon HS (UCinci/Ashland)
2015 23rd round pick currently pitching out of the bullpen for the Reds

Locals in pro baseball: Napoleon's Willeman called up to Triple-A​

6/13/2022
THE BLADE
Here is how professional baseball players with ties to the Toledo area are faring. Statistics are through Sunday’s games.

In the majors

Chris Bassitt (Genoa, Mets): Started June with a pair of losses, giving up four runs (three earned) on five hits in six innings of work in a 6-1 loss June 3 at the Los Angeles Dodgers and getting tagged for seven runs (six earned) on seven hits in 3 1/3 innings in a 13-2 loss June 8 at San Diego. He’s 4-4 with a 4.35 ERA in 12 starts, striking out 74 with a 1.24 WHIP in 68 1/3 innings pitched.

Jon Berti (Bowling Green State University, Marlins): Returned to action May 27 at Atlanta. He’s batting 12-of-41 (.292) with six RBIs in June, adding seven stolen bases. For the season, he’s batting .269 with two home runs, 10 RBIs, 11 stolen bases, and a .382 on-base percentage.

Art Warren (Napoleon, Reds): Has four appearances in June, allowing a run on two hits in 4 1/3 innings with eight strikeouts and two walks. Overall, he’s 2-2 with three saves in 23 appearances, striking out 24 with a 1.48 WHIP in 21 2/3 innings pitched.

Matt Wisler (Bryan, Rays): Has a save in five appearances in June, not allowing a run or a hit with five strikeouts and three walks in 4 2/3 innings. The save came June 1 at Texas, when Wisler closed out the final inning of Tampa Bay’s 4-3 victory. He’s 2-1 with a save and a 2.15 ERA in 26 appearances, striking out 24 with a 1.06 WHIP in 29 1/3 innings pitched.

Promoted

Zach Willeman (Napoleon, Royals, Triple-A Omaha): Called up from Double-A Northwest Arkansas on May 31, pitching two innings of scoreless, hitless relief against Indianapolis that night in picking up a 2-1 victory. He’s 1-1 with a 5.79 ERA in four appearances with the Storm Chasers, allowing three runs on two hits while striking out seven and walking three in 4 2/3 innings.

Farm notes

Ross Adolph (Van Buren, University of Toledo, Astros, Double-A Corpus Christi): On injured list, with his last appearance coming May 18. He’s batting .239 with three home runs, 16 RBIs, and a .505 on-base percentage.

Connor Curlis (Findlay, Reds, Double-A Chattanooga): Picked up a victory Thursday at Montgomery, allowing a run on five hits while striking out four and walking one. He’s 2-2 with a 5.27 ERA in 11 starts, striking out 51 with a 1.37 WHIP in 54 2/3 innings pitched.

Joey Wiemer (Bedford, Brewers, Double-A Biloxi): After missing a week of action, Wiemer went 6-of-21 (.286) with a home run, a double, two RBIs, and seven runs scored to go along with seven stolen bases, including three in one game Thursday against Tennessee. He’s batting .284 with 13 home runs, 36 RBIs, and a .362 on-base percentage.

Chris Meyers (University of Toledo, Tigers, High-A West Michigan): On his second injured list stint of the season after playing in four games this month. He went 3-of-14 (.214) in those games. He’s batting .256 for West Michigan with two home runs, eight RBIs, and a .326 on-base percentage.

Jase Bowen (Central Catholic, Pirates, Low-A Bradenton): Batting 12-of-41 (.293) in June with a home run, two doubles, five stolen bases, and five RBIs. For the season, he’s batting .247 with seven home runs, 30 RBIs, and a .335 on-base percentage.

Deylen Miley (Bryan, Astros, Low-A Fayetteville): Allowed five runs on 11 hits in two June appearances, striking out eight and walking six. For the season, he’s 2-2 with a 4.46 ERA in 11 appearances, striking out 51 with a 1.67 WHIP in 38 1/3 innings pitched.

Cody Orr (Rossford, Astros, Low-A Fayetteville): Batting 2-of-21 (.095) this month, with his most recent appearance coming Thursday. For the season, he’s batting .218 with a home run, nine RBIs, and a .335 on-base percentage.

Craig Stammen RHP
Versailles High School
University of Dayton
Drafted 12th round in 2005 by Washington Nationals.
700 + strike out later is still pitching for The San Diego Padres.

Just wanted to update some of the Major League stars who prepped in Ohio.
Kyle Schwarber (Middletown HS) is 4th in MLB in HR with 18.
Andrew Benintendi (Madeira HS) is 16th in MLB in batting average at .303.
Eric Lauer (Midview HS) is 14th in wins with 6.

Jase Bowen (Toledo Central Catholic) figuring it out for Single A Bradenton Marauders in June.

June Stats
24 for 67 .354
15 RBI
11 SB
0 CS
.922 OPS

For the season leads team in hits, doubles, HR, RBI, SB.

Jacob Miller looks like he will be the highest Ohio High School player drafted for 2022.
The Liberty Union RHP is ranked #24 in the country by Prep Baseball Report and the #13 High School prospect for the upcoming MLB draft by Baseball America. He's committed to Louisville but is predicted to be drafted #36 by Jonathan Mayo and in the 2nd round in several other mock drafts. It's hard to turn down that kind of money.