Football Opening

magics123

Barberton High School has an opening for the Head Varsity Football Coach.
Please submit cover letter, resume, and references to

Barberton High School
Jay Glaze, Athletic Director
555 Barber Road
Barberton OH 44203

or

Barberton City Schools
Jason Ondrus, Director of Personnel
479 Norton Avenue
Barberton OH 44203

Application deadline is January 29, 2010

first off... it will be certified teacher, so all the Barberton yahoos can leave out all their hunky club drinking buddies (Ries, Breitenstine). Two possible in house candiates Dan Boarman is his dad's asst at St V and the PE teacher at Highland Middle School, another is Gordy White, only because hes been here forever and some may feel he's earned a chance. Truth be told, who would want the job? You don't get more than three years to build a program and the feeder systems are better but still need a lot of work. You'll get young never been head coach types and old washed up coaches looking to boost retirement. Staats, Glaze, Flossie, Robinson, Hodakivic, Ault and Foltz have all fir that bill (except Kerry who left at first opp), why expect something differant?

#147 12-29-09, 06:00 PM
frankie
All Region Join Date: 09-29-06
Lets keep names out of it. As you should be aware: Fan and poster favorites have not been looked upon with favor in the past. Yes a new and improved administration will improve the process.... but not eliminate the problems... There will be some good candidates who do not want to be identified early in the process!!! Some may not desire to have their current team and or administration to know they are "looking" until a descision is near...

Also from a past post:
YOUR KIDDING... we will be lucky to get 50.apps.. BHS has been a coaches graveyard of recent years. (AND SOME OF THEM SHOULD HAVE BEEN put under a toumbstone) And how many will be QUALIFIED?? Nothing against an asst. applying.............. but Barberton needs someone with HEAD COACHING experience. This has been a TOUGH town to be the football coach in. and as we have had such a lack of good leadership it is imperative that we not miss on this one. We need someone to coach here who is tough enough to handle this community!! and wise enough to build a program from the ground up. with "people" skills!!!
================================================== =======
Foltz moved up from inside and was OK, Ault came from Slippery Rock and was good (but at the end of his career), Hodakovic was excellent / From Cleve Hts/ but carried some baggage that later caused him problems at McKinley, Robinson was EXCELLENT as a baseball coach and just as bad in the gridiron, Flossie was Excellent/ but for reasons I'll never understand was just a BAD fit in Magic Land, Glaze (a nice guy) has some success at Springfield but did little positive here, Staats was an improvement but left a lot to be desired and was not a good leader. He came in thru the back door!!!--------------------------------
We have been in decline for many years now and will soon have just one Jr Hi/MS with even fewer players being developed than we did in the past. The youth program needs to re-organize to develop a larger number of players. An in house all city organization should be considered!! We are in deep need of numbers. We once had about 8-9 Elementry schools and soon it will be TWO! We are in need of a strong leader! or 2 or 3..... While some of you seem to be down on some of our asst. coaches.... most will return out of necessity and would do a good job with a positive leader with good organization and some listening skills...
------- It is a BIG challange and needs a BIG man!
NOTE: TO DATE there has not been a public notice of the position being open!!!

I went to the Highland BB game last night and was dismayed by the less than half full gym... and not just the opp side! We have had a good following in football even with not so good team results.

Last edited:
NOTE: TO DATE there has not been a public notice of the position being open!!!

Not true. The job was posted on-line, in a public manner on 1/04/2010. In addition, Cleveland.com covered the resignation of Coach Staats on 1/05/2010.

"Barberton football coach Brian Staats resigns
Tim Rogers, The Plain Dealer, January 05, 2010 5:26 p.m.

Barberton, Ohio - Barberton is looking for a new football coach after Brian Staats resigned late last month, ending a three-year term."

Welcome to 2010!

I do agree that it is advisable to keep names out of the discussion, but is that really going to happen?

I loved the post that said AT LEAST 100-150 applicants! You will get 10-12 truly qualified applicants. What about John Wallace from Green? He might want to come back again! He knew he had a shot at the state title last year and that is why he stayed at Green.

first off... it will be certified teacher, so all the Barberton yahoos can leave out all their hunky club drinking buddies (Ries, Breitenstine). Two possible in house candiates Dan Boarman is his dad's asst at St V and the PE teacher at Highland Middle School, another is Gordy White, only because hes been here forever and some may feel he's earned a chance. Truth be told, who would want the job? You don't get more than three years to build a program and the feeder systems are better but still need a lot of work. You'll get young never been head coach types and old washed up coaches looking to boost retirement. Staats, Glaze, Flossie, Robinson, Hodakivic, Ault and Foltz have all fir that bill (except Kerry who left at first opp), why expect something differant?

Wait! Isn't Gordy White a hunky club drinking buddy? :shrug:

Any logical candidates that people expect to be interested in the position this time?

With Glaze coaching there, I look for this job to be filled by a Mount Union grad.....

Tony Ursetti comes to mind! He is currently an assistant at Field HS and they have had two very good playoff seasons. His father was a longtime Barberton teacher and coach. Every Mount grad has been successful, regardless of experience. Why not give him a shot?

BJ Payne also comes to mind as he has always looked to make a return back to this area.

BUT, don't be surprised to the Head Coaching job at Norton open up again soon!

The head coach at Norton is Matt Parril, Glaze's son in law. I would be suprised if that happens considering that Parril is also the AD at Norton. Also, I don't think the Superintendent would be supportive of this because of how it would be viewd. The fact that Parril talked alot of trash when he took the job at Norton about how he was going to beat Barberton in 2009-10 then he begged Glaze to let Norton out of the contract, that will be brought up by alot of us if Parril does apply. If Parril would get the job, it would be three years and another bad choice run out of town.

Last edited by a moderator:
With Glaze coaching there, I look for this job to be filled by a Mount Union grad.....

Tony Ursetti comes to mind! He is currently an assistant at Field HS and they have had two very good playoff seasons. His father was a longtime Barberton teacher and coach. Every Mount grad has been successful, regardless of experience. Why not give him a shot?

BJ Payne also comes to mind as he has always looked to make a return back to this area.

Glaze was at MUC just 1 year!!!

Glaze was at MUC just 1 year!!!

That doesn't matter. I coached at quite a few places for a year or two and forged many relationships and made lifelong friends along the way. I met my wife of 36 years at a school that I coached one season. We didn't start dating until the next year. Does that mean that Jay Glaze doesn't have ties to that program or the kids he coached?

I would love to see a Mount Union grad as our next head coach(If you know who I mean).

Two possible in house candiates Dan Boarman is his dad's asst at St V and the PE teacher at Highland Middle School, another is Gordy White, only because hes been here forever and some may feel he's earned a chance.

Boarman, Jr. will never leave St. V,you're dreamin' and Gordy White...:Ohno: 'nuff said!

What do YOU want to see in the next BHS Coach?

no names please... characteristics and or programs!!!!!

We neen a "doctor of sick footbal"l!!!

1. Knowledgable in football stands to reason. & halftime
adjustments!!!!!!
2. a part of our community / no drive in & leave please.
3. ability to USE the talent available / and coach said talent / all of it
4. ability to get the numbers up! 50 to 75 would be great!!!
5 ability to coordinate the entire system (7-8-9-10-11-12) including being
there to the youth programs. coach the coaches...
6. HEAD COACHING EXPERIENCE! (MULTI-TASKER)
7. bring discipline to the players ON and OFF the field. ORGANIZED
PRACTICE \ EMPHASIS ON FUNDAMENTALS/
8. Great off season strength & conditioning program! A MUST!!
9. Get the team, parents & community excited about football.
10. someone with respect of our past pride and traditions and able to use
that to build new ones! win IN THE suburban league!!

HOW ABOUT YOU!!! WHAT DO YOU WANT?

Last edited:
no names please... characteristics and or programs!!!!!

1. Knowledgable in football stands to reason. & halftime
adjustments!!!!!!
2. a part of our community / no drive in & leave please.
3. ability to USE the talent available / and coach said talent
4. ability to get the numbers up!
5 ability to coordinate the entire system (7-8-9-10-11-12) including being
there to the youth programs. coach the coaches...
6. HEAD COACHING EXPERIENCE!
7. bring discipline to the players ON and OFF the field. ORGANIZED
PRACTICE \ EMPHASIS ON FUNDAMENTALS/
8. Great off season strength & conditioning program! A MUST!!
9. Get the team, parents & community excited about football.
10. someone with respect of our past pride and traditions and able to use
that to build new ones! win IN THE suburban league!!

HOW ABOUT YOU!!! WHAT DO YOU WANT?

I know of such a coach..............

Obviously, you're talking about Jeff Sharkey. Could someone give me an idea why he's not a slam dunk for the job? Is he interested? Is there a problem he has with coming back; some hard feelings, perhaps, from past failures to land the job? Does anyone have any insight on how he is viewed in the Barberton community?

FYI: I heard there were 50 applicants for the Crestwood HC position, some from out of state. Having that many applicants in Barberton is certainly not out of the question.

Heard Lane Kiffin applied for both jobs, but wanted a walk out clause in the contract, just in his dream job came up.

Heard Lane Kiffin applied for both jobs, but wanted a walk out clause in the contract, just in his dream job came up.

:laugh: :laugh:

I also heard that Pete Carroll turned down the job after he found out he could go to jail for dating any of the cheerleaders.

Sorry.... Wallace got the last one of those!

Ha! That is funny. We sure are glad he took the out clause over here or we may not have been playing for a state title last year. A loss for us, was almost your gain and became a blessing for us that he stayed! I wish he was a football coach instead. He would put together a REAL staff!

Barberton has received over 50 applicants thus far. I will agree with those who have asked for no names as I think it is unfair to all applicants. I do think that most would be suprised at some of the coaches who have applied.

Barberton pays good and has good facilities. Many coaches trying to boost retirements.

Flossie Style.

Ha! That is funny. We sure are glad he took the out clause over here or we may not have been playing for a state title last year. A loss for us, was almost your gain and became a blessing for us that he stayed! I wish he was a football coach instead. He would put together a REAL staff!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am glad it worked out for you and for Wallace! We got Staats thru the back door and that was not good for us. maybe we will get it right this time!!

Barberton pays good and has good facilities. Many coaches trying to boost retirements.

Flossie Style.[/QUOTE---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We don't need those.... We need someone who has rebuilt teams to winners and someone who might stay for 8-10 years....

not someone looking for the pay or a nice field.... Hopefully a turf field soon!!

Last edited: