Football Opening

This goes back to the point. If Jay Glaze won at Springfield when there was talent, how did he not not know how to use it at Barberton? Did he forget? Bo James and company that won the AP title for Glaze had how many DI players on it? I think it was 0. That team lost a great game at Sharkey Stadium to Buchtel who would go on to lose the state title game. The next year ironically the coach of Buchtel would be your new head coach. I might need corrected but I believe there was only 1 DI player on the field that night, Ramon Walker.

In 1981, Barberton went 6-3 and beat Massillon with a single 1-AA player.
In 1985, Barberton went 7-2 and beat Mentor with a total of three upperclassman that played in college. One at Akron, one at Wilmington and one at Mount Union.

You are confused. What we saw "On The Field" and "Talent pool" are two different things. Did you ever hear of Buster Askew or Tavio Kelker? This was part of the talent pool that was rarely on the field. This is the root of my entire arguement againt the approach that the last three coaches have taken. If this approach was taken by coaches in other eras, players like Marcus McKinnie, Booker Webb and Anthoney Wharton never would have played.

There are Buster Askews and Tavio Kelkers in every class. This is the talent pool that was brought to the field 20 years and is not getting on the field now. This is exactly what Flossie, Glaze and Staats never got and is why Sharkey must be the next coach.

I do agree with you that coaching isn't the end all problem. Support from the Administration and Booster Club have been lacking for years. If those two had their way, we would be playing in a 500 seat stadium right now and Sharkey Stadium would be a memory.

If I'm confused then you're deluded. Barberton has had some good ball players but they don't have the depth of talent you seem to think they do. Spare me the 4 or 5 kids that coaches missed on. There are 22 positions and Barberton has had a difficult time finding good ballplayers at each position much less two-deep for years, regardless of your claims to the contrary. The record speaks for itself and teams with the kind of talent you profess Barberton has had don't lose that much for that long simply because of coaching. The talent isn't there. If anyone thinks Jeff Sharkey or anyone else who comes to town is going to instantly change Barberton's football fortunes than two things will have happened: you've found the greatest coach in the history of high school football or you joined the Portage Trail League - County Division. That why I have said that the next hire has to get the kind of grace period denied the last few coaches.

If I'm confused then you're deluded. Barberton has had some good ball players but they don't have the depth of talent you seem to think they do. Spare me the 4 or 5 kids that coaches missed on. There are 22 positions and Barberton has had a difficult time finding good ballplayers at each position much less two-deep for years, regardless of your claims to the contrary. The record speaks for itself and teams with the kind of talent you profess Barberton has had don't lose that much for that long simply because of coaching. The talent isn't there. If anyone thinks Jeff Sharkey or anyone else who comes to town is going to instantly change Barberton's football fortunes than two things will have happened: you've found the greatest coach in the history of high school football or you joined the Portage Trail League - County Division. That why I have said that the next hire has to get the kind of grace period denied the last few coaches.

And again, you are confusing talent pool with talent on the field.

It's not 4-5 kids over the past 20 years, it's 4-5 every year. Tavio Kelker was a bigger, faster version of Thad Ingol. Buster Askew was a 230# LB/RB. You put Ingol, Kelker and Colton Hess(another high school MIA) at WR, who is going to cover them? Then you throw in a 230# RB in Askew and now you have a well rounded offense and I didn't even mention Snyder!

I am sorry but you are 100% wrong on this. The 2008 freshman team had 22 players. Only 12 returned in 2009. An attrition rate of nearly 50% is unacceptable and NEVER happend here before Flossie arrived. He, Glaze and Staats never understood what it takes to be a coach here and quite frankly, neither do you.

Developing players is also a problem. Many forget that our freshman team in 2007 was 6-1 in league and absolutely destroyed Wadsworth, Cloverleaf, Tallmadge and Highland. That class were juniors this past year and will be seniors in 2010. Yet they(with the help of two D1 and two D2 players in the senior class) managed one league win in 2009 and will struggle to get that in 2010.

And where are the quality assistant coaches? From 1970-95 many assistants went on to become head Coaches, off the top of my head; Rudy Sharkey, Tom Laroache, Jack Foltz, Ed Robinson, Eric Mitchell, Greg Dennison and Bill Varvari all became head coaches in High School. Manny Matsakis became an assistant at Wyoming and the head coach at North Texas. Where is that now? Instead, we get Brown and Herold as well as that idiot Grimsley.

I have been here for 40 years, played here and coached here. I am fairly certain I have a better understanding of this situation than anyone from from the outside.

Frecriss,

You know more about Barberton than anyone on here and probably most in the city so I have some questions for you.

I have been away from the youth program for geez 11 years now, so I only know so much. I agree with you about the Kelker and Askew scenario and there are individuals in every class who either screw up or give up I wont name names but you know who they are. How involved are the current youth coaches at the peewee level? I remember guys like George Ferguson going to players houses and picking them up for practice because their parents either had to work or didnt care. Maybe how involved are the coaches is a bad question because I am sure they devote themselves football wise. But are they willing to go the extra mile to get kids out on the field. The kids know who can play in their class and I'm sure anyone sitting at home playing video games, the kids tell the coaches about. With that said I really think the head coach should run the youth program. Or if he doesnt run it, he should handpick the individual who has the same vision. Some people come to my mind. I'm with you, I love that Sharkey is in the running and that he wants to be here I'm just worried the good ol' Barberton impatience will set in because he's Rudy's kid. At least with Glaze and Staats you could say eh give him time because look at what the state of the program is from the previous coach. So I guess its only one question but its for the bigger picture. Teams win, you don't need a bunch of college players to win, you need players who all buy into the same system and want to win for eachother. I say that mindset starts when you are 8 years old.

Frecriss,

You know more about Barberton than anyone on here and probably most in the city so I have some questions for you.

I have been away from the youth program for geez 11 years now, so I only know so much. I agree with you about the Kelker and Askew scenario and there are individuals in every class who either screw up or give up I wont name names but you know who they are. How involved are the current youth coaches at the peewee level? I remember guys like George Ferguson going to players houses and picking them up for practice because their parents either had to work or didnt care. Maybe how involved are the coaches is a bad question because I am sure they devote themselves football wise. But are they willing to go the extra mile to get kids out on the field. The kids know who can play in their class and I'm sure anyone sitting at home playing video games, the kids tell the coaches about. With that said I really think the head coach should run the youth program. Or if he doesnt run it, he should handpick the individual who has the same vision. Some people come to my mind. I'm with you, I love that Sharkey is in the running and that he wants to be here I'm just worried the good ol' Barberton impatience will set in because he's Rudy's kid. At least with Glaze and Staats you could say eh give him time because look at what the state of the program is from the previous coach. So I guess its only one question but its for the bigger picture. Teams win, you don't need a bunch of college players to win, you need players who all buy into the same system and want to win for eachother. I say that mindset starts when you are 8 years old.

To be honest, I am not involved with the youth program so I cannot tell you the level of involvement that coaches have. I go and watch the youth games but I am not there at practice. I remember when I coached pee-wee, me and several other coaches would go into the Van Buren Homes every day to pick up kids for practice and games.

That type of commitment is what is needed at every level and that is not the type of commitment that was shown by Flossie, Glaze or Staats.

I also agree that you don't need a bunch of College players to win, that is why I gave the examples of the 1981 and 1985 teams. Heck, the 1998 team made the palyoffs with what? Mike Williams going to Walsh and Poochie Harris playing at a Community College:shrug:

frecriss,
I have to say I agree with other posters on Btown talent. Do you ever think that maybe you're a bad judge of talent? Maybe you once knew it or quite possibly never did? Getting on here and naming names and heights, weights, etc. doesn't really mean that much. One poster said that Glaze and Flossie all won for YEARS at other programs but suddenly become stupid with the talent BTown has??? If I'm not mistaken Flossie's best year was with Coventry kids coming over not even BTown kids.
Also, every school has good talent roaming the halls, this has been said over and over, the God almighty will not get every single kid to play that the coach thinks should be playing! Its a fact of life, period. Please don't think these kids are all not playing because of the coach. Because of personalities not every kid in the district will click and want to play for the coach, and some kids simply wouldn't play for ANY coach, they just don't want to play!
In the end, your heart is in the right place I just don't think your head is.

frecriss,
I have to say I agree with other posters on Btown talent. Do you ever think that maybe you're a bad judge of talent? Maybe you once knew it or quite possibly never did? Getting on here and naming names and heights, weights, etc. doesn't really mean that much. One poster said that Glaze and Flossie all won for YEARS at other programs but suddenly become stupid with the talent BTown has??? If I'm not mistaken Flossie's best year was with Coventry kids coming over not even BTown kids.
Also, every school has good talent roaming the halls, this has been said over and over, the God almighty will not get every single kid to play that the coach thinks should be playing! Its a fact of life, period. Please don't think these kids are all not playing because of the coach. Because of personalities not every kid in the district will click and want to play for the coach, and some kids simply wouldn't play for ANY coach, they just don't want to play!
In the end, your heart is in the right place I just don't think your head is.

As I recall, Flossie'e best year was 1998 when Barberton made the playoffs. Wayne Brown was the QB, Poochie Harris was the TB, Mike Williams was the FB, Alvin Jackson was one of the WR...........All Barberton kids.

Of course all of these kids are not playing because of the coach. There are other reasons and always have been. But when kids are in the program and leave, you have to look for the reasons. As I posted above, when you have 22 freshman one year and only 12 come back the next year, something is wrong with the program.

Coaches not getting it is not something that is new. You can go back to the 1950's and 1960's and Junie Ferral and Tom Phillips. Both were good coaches, had winning records and are in the Ohio Coaches Hall of Fame but neither of them ever truely got it. Rudy Sharkey won much more than either of them and did so when there was probably less talent in town. Don't get me wrong, Rudy had enormous talent but Barberton peaked in the 50's and 60's and both Phillips and Ferral turned in mediocre seasons when talent was off the charts.

For more proof, look no further than Dave Mariola and the Wrestling program. How has Coach Mariola been able to take a program that was rarely good and make it a consistant winner? Easy, he promotes the program and has pushed the issue with the administration and booster club. The results speak for themselves.

The bottom line is that there are things that exist here and always have that don't exist at other schools. The last three coaches and apparantly you, don't understand this. Fortunately, it appears that we are finally going to hire a coach that does understand this.

I also agree that you don't need a bunch of College players to win, that is why I gave the examples of the 1981 and 1985 teams. Heck, the 1998 team made the palyoffs with what? Mike Williams going to Walsh and Poochie Harris playing at a Community College:shrug:

This is where you arguements always fall apart. You choose to give only portions of the information. Lets talk about the talent of the 1998 team. Not just Poochie who young that year (I think he was a freshman) or Mike Williams. Lets try a list. Also, lets not down play how good Walsh U. is, I read your posts earlier about how good you have to be to play at Hiram or where ever. Those places aren't near as good as Walsh. By the way, I don't believe Williams ever made a roster at Walsh.

OG-DE Mike Winkler. All-American at Walsh
OT-DT Andy Berkowitz. All-League at Walsh
QB- Wayne Brown (your self proclaimed greatest QB in Barberton History)
WR- Mike Goodman - DI player without grades
OLB - Ivan Young
OLB - Mike Knapp

That was the largest collection of talent Barberton has had since 1991 and 1992and I'm sure I forgot a couple of good ones from that team. Knapp, Young, Shue, Goodman, and Brown never played college ball.

Winkler is, by the way, the current Minor League Strength and Conditioning Coordinator for the L.A. Dodgers. Making Barberton proud.

Alvin Jackson played 3 yrs for Glaze. Started as a freshman in 2001 for Flossie.

What? Alvin Jackson was a starting WR along with Goodman on that 1998 team.

Are you sure you are not thinking of Kieron Smith?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is where you arguements always fall apart. You choose to give only portions of the information. Lets talk about the talent of the 1998 team. Not just Poochie who young that year (I think he was a freshman) or Mike Williams. Lets try a list. Also, lets not down play how good Walsh U. is, I read your posts earlier about how good you have to be to play at Hiram or where ever. Those places aren't near as good as Walsh. By the way, I don't believe Williams ever made a roster at Walsh.

OG-DE Mike Winkler. All-American at Walsh
OT-DT Andy Berkowitz. All-League at Walsh
QB- Wayne Brown (your self proclaimed greatest QB in Barberton History)
WR- Mike Goodman - DI player without grades
OLB - Ivan Young
OLB - Mike Knapp

That was the largest collection of talent Barberton has had since 1991 and 1992and I'm sure I forgot a couple of good ones from that team. Knapp, Young, Shue, Goodman, and Brown never played college ball.

Winkler is, by the way, the current Minor League Strength and Conditioning Coordinator for the L.A. Dodgers. Making Barberton proud.

When did I say anything about Wayne Brown being a great QB? He probably would have been better suited as a WR/DB. He did start at DB in 1997 and at QB in 1996 and 1998. As far as the talent on the 98 team, it was good, I didn't have the roster in front of me.

Also, Poochie was a sophomore in 1998 and broke the sophomore scoring record that was held by Joe Williams.

I never said you had to be good to play at Hiram. Others posted that you did not have to be good to play D3. I posted that almost anyone could play D3 as a freshman but had to be a good player to return as a soph, junior and senior. I also have stood up for Walsh against other posters. NAIA, as I have posted numerous times, is closer to D2 than it to D3. That is why Walsh, Malone and Urbana are trying to move to D2.

Frecriss, The last three coaches that bhs has had did have understanding of the situation at barberton.Flossie knew about the community before he got here,however when the talent dried up the last three seasons he struggled with nothaving atheletes to coach,plus some of his actions were not good.Glaze came from springfield and he also understood what he was getting into,he had one good team in his five seasons and he won with that team.The other four were extremeley young,starting two freshman qb's in back to back years.As much as I don not like staats he coached at mifflin which is a inner city school,plus he was at bedford ,he didnt warm up to the community or utilize tha talent that was there for him.We cannot continue to blame the coaches for the lack of talent and commitment,I think that is a reflection of the community as it stands right now,while a few do care very much,it is not like it once was.But if a new coach can somehow pull everyone together and if the town will have patience,good things could happen for the magics

I don't know about that. Flossie's last year, he had (not counting freshman): Mike McElrafth(Youngstown State), Quinten Walton(Baldwin Wallace), Antonio Pittman(Ohio State), Zach Leskanic(West Virginia State-Baseball), Steve Hymes(Ohio Weslyan), Josh Huffman(Mount Union), James Zellia(Marietta), Mike Gibson(Wooster), Dan Starkey(Had offers from MAC. Grades put him in Jr. College), Brandon Derr(Hiram), Brad Watts(Waynesburg), Chris Coleman(Wooster), and Steve Wilmoth(Otterbein).

Others who did not play in college included: Duane Welch, Nate Hershberger, Mike Tarsis(RIP) and Troy Dumas.

Seems like there were enough athletes to make this better than a 3-7 team.

Ultimately, Flossie failed because he let the fans get the best of him. Anyone who comes here to coach needs to understand that the fans are going to be a pain in the arse. That's just the way it is here. Some coaches can deal with it and others can't.

As for Glaze, what kind of program is being run if a freshman is starting at QB two years in a row? This is exactly my point about developing talent.

Staats failed because of his own ego. If he could have put that in check and brougt in real assistants rather than his yes man idiot Grimsly, things may have been a little better. He also ignored every aspect of the program other than Varsity starters.

And, none of the three understood the community.

Last edited by a moderator:
To get this thread back on topic, I was told a short time ago that the new coach will be announced by next friday. Unfortunately, that was all the information I could get.

Throw in what could have been with Buster Askew and Tavio Kelker had Staats given a damn about them.

I agree that Jeff is the man for this job and said the same thing three years ago.

I'm not defending Staats by any means but Tavio Kelker and Buster Askew didn't give a damn about ANYTHING, particularly showing up to practice

I'm not defending Staats by any means but Tavio Kelker and Buster Askew didn't give a damn about ANYTHING, particularly showing up to practice

I've been waiting for this. There has to be a committment from the players before any coach will make that committment to you. If these so called "football studs" can slip by two or three coaches, logically you have to come to the conclusion that it has to be the talent pool and the mind set of the kids that are keeping them off the field on friday nights.

The reality is today that Barberton's talent level is that of Norton with a couple more athletes. Which is to say, up and down. Who ever the new coach is, Barberton guy or not, this is exactly where we will be in three to four years. Unrealistic fans, lack of talented depth, lack of a decent feeder program, superstars wandering the halls because of the coach, ect. It will bring us back to where we are now. Maybe next time it will be "We should have hired a Big Ten coach, they'll know what to do with all the talent in Barberton." See you guys in 2014.

The reality is today that Barberton's talent level is that of Norton with a couple more athletes. Which is to say, up and down. Who ever the new coach is, Barberton guy or not, this is exactly where we will be in three to four years. Unrealistic fans, lack of talented depth, lack of a decent feeder program, superstars wandering the halls because of the coach, ect. It will bring us back to where we are now. Maybe next time it will be "We should have hired a Big Ten coach, they'll know what to do with all the talent in Barberton." See you guys in 2014.

Okay, "Unrealistic Fans" has been brought up several times now, can you explain this?

Barberton has had the 3rd or 4th largest enrollment in the SL depending on the year. Our facilities are 2nd to none with the exception of Green. So with this, why is it unrealistic to think that we should compete in the SL?

Lack of a good feeder program? Do you have any clue as to how the Youth or Middle School programs performed this past season? If you do then you shouldn't have posted that comment. If you don't know how they performed then you shouldn't have posted at all.

Now, since you and others have such a defeated attitude, why do you even care who the coach is or how he will lead the team?

Frecriss, You have lost all credibility with me. You're one of the guys that run these coaches out of town, so why do you care? Believe me, you'll be #1 in the call for the new coaches head in three or four years because he doesn't know how to use the "talent" that you have since proven you are incapable of rating.

You want to know what "Unrealistic Fans" are: Go back to you post about the talent on the 2001 team. The problem is that there alot of people around the program like you, undermining things because you have your own agenda. 5 coaches (two of which have state titles to their name) in 16 years and you don't see the problem. You proclaim yourself this great Barberton Fan, you have all these photos and records, you speak as though you are a football genius, and none of that means a thing to me or many others. You are no different than me or anyone else on here the difference is your self-righteousness blinds you.

They should make you the new head coach, so that in 3 years you can live as miserably as the last 3 coaches have at the end of their tenure. You notice, none were fired - they all got out. They just wanted to coach football like Greg Dennison does or Joe Vasalotti does. Not worrying about the next guy he runs into at the Hunky club going after his livelyhood. Do you people realize that all the claims made against Tim Flossie that were later revealed to be untrue and made-up would have RUINED his life? Forever!! How many signed that petition with those claims? Several Hundered. That is the penance these men pay for losing some football games, and you can't understand "Unrealistic Fans".

So its not defeated, its disgusted!

Last edited:
Frecriss, You have lost all credibility with me. You're one of the guys that run these coaches out of town, so why do you care? Believe me, you'll be #1 in the call for the new coaches head in three or four years because he doesn't know how to use the "talent" that you have since proven you are incapable of rating.

You want to know what "Unrealistic Fans" are: Go back to you post about the talent on the 2001 team. The problem is that there alot of people around the program like you, undermining things because you have your own agenda. 5 coaches (two of which have state titles to their name) in 16 years and you don't see the problem. You proclaim yourself this great Barberton Fan, you have all these photos and records, you speak as though you are a football genius, and none of that means a thing to me or many others. You are no different than me or anyone else on here the difference is your self-righteousness blinds you.

They should make you the new head coach, so that in 3 years you can live as miserably as the last 3 coaches have at the end of their tenure. You notice, none were fired - they all got out. They just wanted to coach football like Greg Dennison does or Joe Vasalotti does. Not worrying about the next guy he runs into at the Hunky club going after his livelyhood. Do you people realize that all the claims made against Tim Flossie that were later revealed to be untrue and made-up would have RUINED his life? Forever!! How many signed that petition with those claims? Several Hundered. That is the penance these men pay for losing some football games, and you can't understand "Unrealistic Fans".

So its not defeated, its disgusted!

Just for the record, I never signed or supported that petition against Flossie.

Yes, five coaches in 16 years. However, Hodakevic, Robinson, Glaze and Staats did not quit because of the fans. Hodakevic left because he saw a bigger opportunity at Upper Arlington and Robinson was run out by the Administration and BOE. If Robinson had a problem with us fans, why did he apply for the current opening? And if Glaze had a problem with the fans, why has he stayed here as AD?

There were things that Flossie and Staats did that were very wrong but the blame does not soley lie with them.

As for the fans, I think it is just a case of Whining on the part of a couple coaches and their supporters. Barberton football coaches have been dealing with the fans for 80 years. Jimmy Price was run out of town in the 1930's and he was an ultra successful coach. Karl Harter retired from coaching football in the mid-40's but remained as AD and Tennis coach for another 20 years. Alan Cooksey was run out in the late 60's and he was a Barberton guy. That is the way it is here. Many coaches can handle it, others can't. It really is that simple.

Frecriss,Ed Robinson was forced out by then AD Larry Bidlingmyer,he was given a choice of baseball or football also by the board.He chose baseball for one more season then left for a better paycheck at Copley.Why wasn't a list of finalists posted to the media? I mean come on this is not Massillon or McKinley,but we still should know who the short list is

I hated seeing Robinson go, he had built a great Baseball program.

Ed Robinson was a great BASEBALL coach and he should have stayed in that position. It was a mistake to hire him in football and he showed why. They were correct to try to keep him in baseball and out in football. He came to BHS with Don Ault from Slippery Rock University where he was a GA for Ault.

This is Wednesday, Feb 17, 2010. We are supposed to name our coach by this Friday. I heard they interviewed 8 and got down to the 2 finalist! Both are fimialiar with Magic football, 1 having played and coached in the system and the other a former asst. coach of the Magics. I have done some research on each of them.

Quickly BEFORE he is named by the BOE.... list just 2 things you want to see in a new coach. Lets assume they have a good to great command of the game of football so we need not name that. Limit your remarks to Just 2 things and let others get their say in!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ mine are 1. a very good evaluater of player talent and the knowledge to use that given talent(s) in a team game & situation! and 2. a very good evaluater of coaching talent and the knowledge to use that given talent(s) in a team game & situation. There are many more!!

This is Wednesday, Feb 17, 2010. We are supposed to name our coach by this Friday. I heard they interviewed 8 and got down to the 2 finalist! Both are fimialiar with Magic football, 1 having played and coached in the system and the other a former asst. coach of the Magics. I have done some research on each of them.

Quickly BEFORE he is named by the BOE.... list just 2 things you want to see in a new coach. Lets assume they have a good to great command of the game of football so we need not name that. Limit your remarks to Just 2 things and let others get their say in!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ mine are 1. a very good evaluater of player talent and the knowledge to use that given talent(s) in a team game & situation! and 2. a very good evaluater of coaching talent and the knowledge to use that given talent(s) in a team game & situation. There are many more!!

I like your two examples. I will add:

1. Works with the ENTIRE PROGRAM and not just the Varsity Starters.

2. Willing to become part of the community.

1st: Orders "All White Dinner with extra Hot Sauce"

2nd: Offers to buy the first round every time he's out with his buddies.

Life is simple!!

Should he have a preference between White House, Hopican, or Belgrades? Would you run him out of town on a rail if he chose Milich's Village Inn because it's in Norton? What will you do if he doesn't like Twig's diner or he doesn't drink beer?

HOLD IT, Akron1! NO WAY would anyone in the right frame of mind, actually, with any brain matter at all choose Village Inn over Belgrades or Hopocan Gardens. White House has too many tiny pieces now, but if they did choose Village Inn, Tha Bank would just beat him with a rubber hose and make him walk throuhg a large pile of horse dung, then I would let him coach for another week!

Should he have a preference between White House, Hopican, or Belgrades? Would you run him out of town on a rail if he chose Milich's Village Inn because it's in Norton? What will you do if he doesn't like Twig's diner or he doesn't drink beer?

I love Milich's. It's my favorite actually.

Twig's? Don't care!

Beer? He will drink beer, it just depends on what kind:angel: