Football and wrestling coaches

falcons53...I get what you're saying, and I thought that might be a possibility too, but if you've ever been to Grade School State,
Bitter, you were around back in the Huddle days and I imagine quite a few of these other cats were as well. Do you remember the VinceD post,
'South Park at Grade School State'? Got a lot of miles out of that one. It was laugh out loud funny. Especially if you were around for it.

Bitter, you were around back in the Huddle days and I imagine quite a few of these other cats were as well. Do you remember the VinceD post,
'South Park at Grade School State'? Got a lot of miles out of that one. It was laugh out loud funny. Especially if you were around for it.
That was a classic.

It may be instructive to see a list of all the U.S. greats that did not wrestle in H.S. because it was beneath them. Kyle Snyder was mentioned (albeit for only one year) ... Others??

Off the top of my head: Burroughs, Dake, Taylor, Baumgartner, Smith ... Oh wait ... None of those. Must be many others???
Lol no my kid can’t be every kid who wrestlers on a highschool team or may not be a state champ but I’ve seen the school practice room all they drill is high crotches and doubles no set ups no nothing. I am just saying my kid won’t be practicing with his highschool that is his choose as well he feels as he is waisting his time.

Loginimin56...Since the overwhelming majority of successful college wrestlers have enjoyed at least some success at the high school level, are you looking to skip NCAA wrestling as well? I'm assuming his lofty goals would involve World and Olympic Gold. Snapspinscore brings up an interesting point. Why would you enter him in any high school tournaments at all? Super 32 and Ironman are both fantastic events, but regardless of competition, them being folkstyle will likely hinder his progress. I assume your two days a week are being spent training for Junior World Team Trials in Vegas? They're right around the corner.
No lol I’m not saying highschool tourneys are bad my kid isn’t a state champ lol it is the room that he goes to school at. All they drill is high crotches and blast doubles. He feels as if he is waisting his time and the coach is a football coach as well is doesn’t have any summer plans lined up for the team so yes he won’t be doing highschool wrestlinh we can train him hard with clubs and bring his to a scouting event. Not so hard

H
Good luck getting into the Ironman without being on a high school team. Kyle Snyder also wrestled 3 years at his high school, and only went to Olympic Training Center, once he realized he was the 1% of the 1%, and he had a realistic shot at world level medals early in his career. I also know a bunch of other guys that tried to go to the Olympic training center and skip high school and college wrestling, and ended up achieving nothing of note. Snyder and Cejudo are not the rule, they are the exception lol.

He is your son and you two are obviously allowed to do what you think is best, but I hope you haven't filled his head with the idea that high school wrestling is beneath him, and take that experience away from him. The best wrestlers this nation has ever seen, all wrestled in high school, and most of them lost a match in high school at some point. Ohio has never seen an undefeated 4x State Champ.

How old is your son, and what are some of his accomplishments so far? He better be the best youth wrestler Ohio has ever seen, for you to be talking about skipping high school wrestling. What is even more strange, is that you want him to skip high school wrestling, to go win high school wrestling tournaments....
He is not the best youth kid lol or best kid on the team but it has to do with the highschool pracfive room he feels as he can not grow in a highschool pracfuce room unless we go to breaksville or a school with a good coach. Nobody said skip highschool wrestlimg I’m saying my son is because of the wrestling coach being a football coach he doesn’t even have anything planned for the summer my point being

Plenty of good programs that don't train during the summer. That is what clubs are for. You don't need involvement from your hs coach during the summer to get better.

Plenty of good programs that don't train during the summer. That is what clubs are for. You don't need involvement from your hs coach during the summer to get better.
Almost every top program has their own club, and yes also train for FS in the summer. St Eds, Perrysburg and Brecksville ...Just to name a few of the best. But you probably already knew that ? ;)

What are you considering the best clubs vs programs... there are plenty of programs that outsource their training to a great club.

I don't think there are many top programs that have their own high level club. Their might be some high level clubs ran out of that room, but usually it involves a plethora of schools.

Here are the teams from state duals last year:
Arsenal Black, Seasons 1, Beast Mode, BTW, Ohio Lightening, Seasons 2, Wrestling Factory, West Cincy Elite, Green Machine, Arsenal Gold, Vondruska, Foxfire, Scrapyard, GM Wolfdogs

How many of them are exclusive to one school?

What are you considering the best clubs vs programs... there are plenty of programs that outsource their training to a great club.

I don't think there are many top programs that have their own high level club. Their might be some high level clubs ran out of that room, but usually it involves a plethora of schools.

Here are the teams from state duals last year:
Arsenal Black, Seasons 1, Beast Mode, BTW, Ohio Lightening, Seasons 2, Wrestling Factory, West Cincy Elite, Green Machine, Arsenal Gold, Vondruska, Foxfire, Scrapyard, GM Wolfdogs

How many of them are exclusive to one school?

Maybe I'm not keeping up with the plot, but I was reacting to this statement "plenty of good programs that don't train during the summer."

Last edited:
Maybe I'm not keeping up with the plot, but I was reacting to this statement "plenty of good programs that don't train during the summer."

Sorry, I guess I could have been more clear. I'm not going to name specific schools, but there are definitely good programs (notice I didn't say elite programs) where the head coach of the (HS) program doesn't coach the kids during the summer and/or hold practices in that particular HS room.

Good wrestlers that want to train in the summer can find club rooms to go to for training and probably improve even more because of variety in coaching and partners. And while I think coaching is important, I think finding better partners/competition is more important.

Plus, why parse just that part of the post? This gives context and is important - "That is what clubs are for. You don't need involvement from your hs coach during the summer to get better."

Last edited:
H

He is not the best youth kid lol or best kid on the team but it has to do with the highschool pracfive room he feels as he can not grow in a highschool pracfuce room unless we go to breaksville or a school with a good coach. Nobody said skip highschool wrestlimg I’m saying my son is because of the wrestling coach being a football coach he doesn’t even have anything planned for the summer my point being
Let me guess…your HS football coach was also your wrestling coach, AND English teacher?

Last edited:
Let me guess…your HS football coach was also your wrestling coach, AND English teacher?

Funny! Way back when, our Head Coach was also an assistant on the football staff. Somehow he was able to keep us involved in summer wrestling and lifting. Credit to him, he was a great guy too. AND lol, he taught English.

Coach Urbas was always involved in everything at St.Ed’s. He would constantly check on all students grades athletes or not. A true asset maybe the best ever
Years ago during perhaps Greatest years 1998-2000 I recall Greg Urban driving back from Fargo to coach at a football game and turning around the next day and driving back to Fargo to help coach the many All Americans St Eds had back then at Cadet/Junior nationals. Urbas is a giver thats for certain.

this dudes son is being filled with awful deceiving information. I would probably say your son and kyle snyder should not be in the same sentence

Instead of complaining about schools and coaches, put your kid in multiple sports! Have your kid be in numerous camps available in the offseason. Maybe you can start coaching instead of being a jerk about a coach who is able to influence a lot of youth and guide them in the right direction.
I am a coach a club coach. And they can play multiple sports but if they want to be the best at one they need to focus more on one.

I am a coach a club coach. And they can play multiple sports but if they want to be the best at one they need to focus more on one.
This is blatantly false. Do they need to focus on one while the other is going on, probably... but this thought process isn't the best and borderline dumb if I recall the research on sport specific athletes versus multi-sport athletes. (I could be misrembering the study I'm thinking of)

Play multiple sports. Work year round too. They aren't mutually exclusive. Most importantly the best kids pair that with proper nutrition, strength and conditioning... and believe it or not appropriate rest.

This is blatantly false. Do they need to focus on one while the other is going on, probably... but this thought process isn't the best and borderline dumb if I recall the research on sport specific athletes versus multi-sport athletes. (I could be misrembering the study I'm thinking of)

Play multiple sports. Work year round too. They aren't mutually exclusive. Most importantly the best kids pair that with proper nutrition, strength and conditioning... and believe it or not appropriate rest.
Its different for different kids. To say one is right or wrong is blatantly false

Its different for different kids. To say one is right or wrong is blatantly false
What I said is true. Hence the words not mutually exclusive... I never contended one way or another except that research suggests injuries seem to be more prevelant in youth that are sport specific.

I do agree its different for different kids.

Let's think about this...if every coach worked with their own team during the summer and had them all on his plan, would we even have the great clubs out there that take kids from multiple schools and bring variety and new partners to a room full of hammers? I bet there would be a lot less of that. No team can be great if their kids only attend their room, their open mats, and their own coaches system. Those wrestlers will hit a plateau.

When I was in HS I was fortunate to wrestle on some very good teams at Licking Heights that were always ranked top 5 in the state. We didn't do a ton as a team in the off season. Many of our kids were farm boys who didn't even wrestle once the season was over. Others, like me, had Dads who would drive us all over the country to get opportunities. We went to camps on our own. We went to open mats at other schools. We went to gyms to lift weights. OUR COACH WAS ALSO THE CROSS COUNTRY COACH!!! (How dare he split his time! Can you believe the guy was even bold enough to get married and have a family?!) We were still VERY good because the wrestlers didn't make excuses, the coaches pushed us, and we developed and bought into a culture. We weren't taught 200 different moves. We were taught how to dictate the pace of the match, how to wrestle smart, how to win the mental battle, and most importantly how to do things the right way in both wrestling and life. Did we win a bunch of state titles? No, but every guy I wrestled with has gone on to be successful in life.

And our coach...who split time between 2 sports, teaching, and his family...he is in the Ohio High School Wrestling Coaches Hall of Fame...Thank you Coach Kevin Peck!

Senior in HS, 3 sport athlete Ben Kueter, who is heading to Iowa on a football scholarship, and going to be a 2 sport athlete there (football and wrestling).... has just entered the US Senior Open, and will be in pads this fall. Just sayin.