Fentanyl

That sounds like Javanka.
No, not really.

Hunter is a druggie who was run out of the Navy, anybody else's kid would have gotten a dishonorable discharge.

Joe is a glad handing moron. whose only skill is collecting votes from gullible idiots.

Respectfully submitted, OldSoulon

No, not really.

Hunter is a druggie who was run out of the Navy, anybody else's kid would have gotten a dishonorable discharge.

Joe is a glad handing moron. whose only skill is collecting votes from gullible idiots.

Respectfully submitted, OldSoulon
Joe pounded God King. What a great country.

Crazy that some people ask questions instead of just shooting off at the mouth. Right?

I assumed the answers to all of those questions were common knowledge to anyone who's read anything in the last year.

They seemed disingenuous. If you want to talk about Fentanyl and our unsecured Southern border, let's do it.

I get stimulating discussion, but that was lame.

I have a daughter who got hooked on opioid as a 16 yr old. She had gone to the hospital for an emergency appendectomy. They gave her Dilaudid for the pain. She was hooked immediately. She loved the high. Unknown to me at the time she told her boy friend it was so good that they needed to find it on the street. They did.... easily. Fentanyl was the only thing that gave her the same high she was looking for. To an addict that is all that matters. Cost is irrelevant. They will do whatever they have to do to acquire the drug. The high is all they can think about. As soon as they start coming down from it they want to do even more to get it back. Fentanyl gives a much more powerful high and is almost instantly addictive. A user can experience sudden cravings for the high years after being clean. The cravings can be so intense that relapse is likely if the addict doesn't have the support to get them thru it.

Fentanyl is a drug dealers paradise. It is cheap, plentiful and incredibly addictive. Once tried by a user you can almost guarantee they will give everything they own to keep getting it. Once that is gone they will do anything to keep getting the drug.

For a parent or loved one of an addict, it is an absolute nightmare to break the addiction.

It took 5 years and several near death experiences for my daughter to get clean.
So sorry you had to go through this. We can agree that we need to put resources into this problem.

Just celebrated 5 years clean!
Was your daughter prescribed what she got addicted to for more than 5 days? Was this before there were tighter restrictions and guidelines on prescribing pain killers? Is there a history in your family of addiction? It's interesting because my side of the family tolerates things and there is Zero addiction issues. We have married into families that have addiction issues with Smoking, Alcohol etc... It is something that I just do not understand, and it fascinates me just like someone being gay etc... What do you think needs to be done?

I assumed the answers to all of those questions were common knowledge to anyone who's read anything in the last year.

They seemed disingenuous. If you want to talk about Fentanyl and our unsecured Southern border, let's do it.

I get stimulating discussion, but that was lame.
Honestly, I've heard the stories but know nothing about Fentanyl as a street drug. Is it only an additive to other drugs or is it a standalone drug being sold on the streets? Everything I've read indicated it is an additive but that appears to be wrong.

Also, not around the drug scene at all. I live a pretty boring life...

Was your daughter prescribed what she got addicted to for more than 5 days?
I don't think so. She was only in the hospital for a day.
Was this before there were tighter restrictions and guidelines on prescribing pain killers?
Probably. It was 10 years ago.
Is there a history in your family of addiction?
On her mother's side, yes.
It's interesting because my side of the family tolerates things and there is Zero addiction issues. We have married into families that have addiction issues with Smoking, Alcohol etc... It is something that I just do not understand, and it fascinates me just like someone being gay etc... What do you think needs to be done?
Addiction is something you don't know you have until you have it. My wife hates how opioids make her feel. She's had a number of surgeries and prefer just Tylenol for the pain. She says the options make her feel terrible. My daughter on the other hand absolutely loved the feeling the first time she was given opioids and was hooked instantly. The fear of getting hooked again is so great that when she has had 2 C-Sections she opted to stay awake and refused anything pain killers other than Tylenol and Motrin.

What needs done... for starters be honest with your kids about drug use. My kids were all told that drugs are bad for you and that they will kill you blah, blah, blah. Guess what? My daughter tried pot and it didn't kill her or even hurt her. She was 16 and rebellious. She figured if Dad said pot was bad for her and it clearly wasn't then I'm probably full of crap about the harder stuff to. This is what she explained to me during her recovery process.
When she was in the hospital she knew she wanted to find that feeling on the street and she tried all kinds of crap but settled in on heroin as her favorite. As a parent, know the signs of drug use. Learn to recognize it in other people's kids and keep your kid away from them.
If you suspect your kid of using, there should be zero boundaries. If you want to save your child, do not worry about how they feel towards you. They will hate you no matter what. Work tirelessly to get them in rehab. DO NOT TRUST THEM! Your life will be hell but saving them is worth it!

I don't think so. She was only in the hospital for a day.

Probably. It was 10 years ago.

On her mother's side, yes.

Addiction is something you don't know you have until you have it. My wife hates how opioids make her feel. She's had a number of surgeries and prefer just Tylenol for the pain. She says the options make her feel terrible. My daughter on the other hand absolutely loved the feeling the first time she was given opioids and was hooked instantly. The fear of getting hooked again is so great that when she has had 2 C-Sections she opted to stay awake and refused anything pain killers other than Tylenol and Motrin.

What needs done... for starters be honest with your kids about drug use. My kids were all told that drugs are bad for you and that they will kill you blah, blah, blah. Guess what? My daughter tried pot and it didn't kill her or even hurt her. She was 16 and rebellious. She figured if Dad said pot was bad for her and it clearly wasn't then I'm probably full of crap about the harder stuff to. This is what she explained to me during her recovery process.
When she was in the hospital she knew she wanted to find that feeling on the street and she tried all kinds of crap but settled in on heroin as her favorite. As a parent, know the signs of drug use. Learn to recognize it in other people's kids and keep your kid away from them.
If you suspect your kid of using, there should be zero boundaries. If you want to save your child, do not worry about how they feel towards you. They will hate you no matter what. Work tirelessly to get them in rehab. DO NOT TRUST THEM! Your life will be hell but saving them is worth it!
You should clarify about the question of getting addicted. When you say she was hooked after a day, she was hooked on getting high. The physical addiction came some time after that and after repeated use.

You should clarify about the question of getting addicted. When you say she was hooked after a day, she was hooked on getting high. The physical addiction came some time after that and after repeated use.
She was already hooked on getting high prior to the hospital visit. She had used weed prior and liked that feeling. When she got the high of opioids she knew she wanted that feeling again. After 1 dose she wanted to find it on the street.