Fashion confession- Own up here

SLS

Over the years, I have owned and worn a beret, dirty bucks, pegged pants, Beatle boots, heel plates on my shoes, a Nehru jacket, a safari suit, a sharkskin suit,bell bottoms, paisley shirt, beachcombers, a half-inch wide belt, and a seven inch wide tie. I do feel somewhat smug in stating that I have never worn the patent leather combo of white belt and white shoes. In first grade, I even talked my dad into buying me a pair of black leather clodhoppers with the word "hillbilly" discreetly displayed on each boot.

Over the years, I have owned and worn a beret, dirty bucks, pegged pants, Beatle boots, heel plates on my shoes, a Nehru jacket, a safari suit, a sharkskin suit,bell bottoms, paisley shirt, beachcombers, a half-inch wide belt, and a seven inch wide tie. I do feel somewhat smug in stating that I have never worn the patent leather combo of white belt and white shoes. In first grade, I even talked my dad into buying me a pair of black leather clodhoppers with the word "hillbilly" discreetly displayed on each boot.
I have never ow ed or worn any of the above... thank God!

I honestly wear sports merchandise most of the time? Support the teams I say. But if I’m not wearing that I usually just wear like Plain colored tshirts with no particular logo or anything on the front. I also prefer khaki pants and sweat pants over jeans. Oh and my favorite shoes are Sketchers.

I don't pay much attention to fashion trends. For some reason, I preferred wearing gray tube socks w/ the color stripes at the top until I reached HS and finally began wearing other socks. I have not owned a pair of jeans that I would wear under normal circumstances since I started HS over 25 yrs. ago. It's either khakis or wind pants for me. Only jeans purchased over that time period were from thrift stores to be used for "one-off" Halloween costumes. Due to a negative association from my grade school days, I have not worn a pair of navy blue pants since 8th grade and refuse to do so. I also recently came to the realization that moving forward, any pants, shorts, pajama pants, etc. that I acquire must have pockets. Whether it be due to iPod, keys, candy wrapper, etc, I'm always in need of a pocket.

When I got my first managerial promotion 15 years ago, I started wearing button-down shirts and ties to work every day. Even the district manager got a kick out of that. Then I learned managers could get away with a polo with an open collar if it had the company logo, so the ties went to the back of the closet for good. And I owned two dozen pair of thick black crew socks, plus a couple pair of black New Balance shoes. Good for walking on concrete floors all day

After retirement, my daily fashion sense consists of matching the color of my t-shirt with one of of my 10-some pair of New Balance sneaks. Still working on getting a green pair and a yellow pair, that will make me downright dangerous. Swapped the dockers for Wrangler jeans. And I own two dozen pair of black footies, even for church and formal occasions. Good for walking around the house all day.

When I got my first managerial promotion 15 years ago, I started wearing button-down shirts and ties to work every day. Even the district manager got a kick out of that. Then I learned managers could get away with a polo with an open collar if it had the company logo, so the ties went to the back of the closet for good. And I owned two dozen pair of thick black crew socks, plus a couple pair of black New Balance shoes. Good for walking on concrete floors all day

After retirement, my daily fashion sense consists of matching the color of my t-shirt with one of of my 10-some pair of New Balance sneaks. Still working on getting a green pair and a yellow pair, that will make me downright dangerous. Swapped the dockers for Wrangler jeans. And I own two dozen pair of black footies, even for church and formal occasions. Good for walking around the house all day.
Damn. You're rich!

I have to admit my one pair of New Balance sneakers have been the best I have ever had. Though I can only squeeze into one pair of my blue jeans (natural hole on left thigh included), I sheepishly admit I still have every pair I have ever owned - with the exception of the 32s I reluctanly parted with last winter. That reminds me I need to go through the jeans drawer and see if there is another pair (maybe the 33/34s) I can bear to part with. :)

Call me fashion conscious - not. lol

Most of my shoes are New Balances as well. I also heard Slippery mention an Ipod. My kids make fun of me because I still have one.
I find my iPod far more user-friendly than my low-end cell phone which is not an Apple product. My cell phone doesn't have a music library, so the iPod still sees plenty of action for that and other functions.

As for shoes, I got on an Adidas kick 20+ years ago. A few years back, I went into the local shoe store as a "free agent" and tried every brand they had except Nike (never liked the brand, their shoes tend to run too narrow) and Under Armour (never liked the brand, wear tested some of their running shoes, and they sucked) and came out w/ a pair of Adidas and a pair of Asics. The Asics' felt good out of the box, but the cushioning broke down too quickly, IMHO.

Since then, I wear mostly Adidas and usually buy straight from their website since I'm familiar enough with their sizing to know what will fit sight unseen. If they run out of a size for a specific model and color, they'll generally mark down everything else in that model's color. I also have a friend who works for Asics as a project consultant. He occasionally sends me a free pair to try since he knows what type of shoe I wear. He used to work at the aforementioned local shoe store.

Last edited:
I honestly wear sports merchandise most of the time? Support the teams I say. But if I’m not wearing that I usually just wear like Plain colored tshirts with no particular logo or anything on the front. I also prefer khaki pants and sweat pants over jeans. Oh and my favorite shoes are Sketchers.
People who wear sports clothing for the “fashion” suck and I hate their guts.

I find my iPod far more user-friendly than my low-end cell phone which is not an Apple product. My cell phone doesn't have a music library, so the iPod still sees plenty of action for that and other functions.

As for shoes, I got on an Adidas kick for years. A few years back, I went into the local shoe store and tried every brand they had except Nike and Under Armour and came out w/ a pair of Adidas and a pair of Asics. The Asics' cushioning broke down too quickly, IMHO.

Since then, I wear mostly Adidas and usually buy straight from their website since I'm familiar with their sizing. If they run out of a size for a specific model and color, they'll generally mark down everything else in that model's color. I also have a friend who works for Asics as a project consultant. He occasionally sends me a free pair to try since he knows what type of shoe I wear. He used to work at the aforementioned local shoe store.
I’m starting to kinda hate my Air Pods. The longest duration I can get before the power gets drained is about 90 minutes. It makes me miss the old earbuds

Back in the mid sixties a buddy and I bought matching blue puffy shirts and wore them to high school--ONCE.
1643554047423.png

That had to be one heckuva day for everyone...

As for shoes, I got on an Adidas kick for years. A few years back, I went into the local shoe store and tried every brand they had except Nike and Under Armour and came out w/ a pair of Adidas and a pair of Asics. The Asics' cushioning broke down too quickly, IMHO.

Since then, I wear mostly Adidas and usually buy straight from their website since I'm familiar with their sizing. If they run out of a size for a specific model and color, they'll generally mark down everything else in that model's color. I also have a friend who works for Asics as a project consultant. He occasionally sends me a free pair to try since he knows what type of shoe I wear. He used to work at the aforementioned local shoe store.
I bought a pair of Fila on sale at JCP a few years ago and they literally fell apart within a month. Only used for walking.

Did I say they were on sale? lol