Family sues school over their son being cut from the basketball team

I've seen this making the rounds on social media and the headline does not represent the facts. The kid was one of their best players (two year varsity starter, two-time all league), he spoke out against the coach's behavior, the school substantiated the coach was inappropriate with the kid (but did not bully him) and demoted the coach and then they cut him this year.

No way to tell what the coach did that was inappropriate, but clearly this kid was cut in retaliation for speaking out against the program. Stupid situations like this give ammo to moms of awful basketball players everywhere to claim the coach cut their kid for reasons other than he is bad.

I've seen this making the rounds on social media and the headline does not represent the facts. The kid was one of their best players (two year varsity starter, two-time all league), he spoke out against the coach's behavior, the school substantiated the coach was inappropriate with the kid (but did not bully him) and demoted the coach and then they cut him this year.
I’m glad this is the first reply. Lost art these days online to have context provided, and readily available.

This seems like one of those situations where the kid is clearly good enough to make the team. If he is a negative on the team morale, then handle it with discipline. If the parents are a problem, have the administration step in.

Simply cutting him does make it look like payback. Not enough details but if the new coach is siding with the old coach, maybe they needed to start with a fresh slate and bring in an outside coach.

I don’t know how much you know about Hinsdale Twp, but it is a small village outside of Chicago with BIG BUCKS. Homes easily sell for $M. The average income in 2022 was over $225,000. Hiring an attorney would be nothing to these moneyed folks. My SIL and BIL live there.

I say this all the time, yes there are ALOT of crazy people who over-embellish their children, but coaches are human too. They are not infallible and can make wrong judgment calls just as much as any other human.

There are times when parents and kids have valid arguments. The hard part is sifting through because there are so many complaints nowadays. High school sports are riddled with politics as well, and yes, sometimes very good players are getting screwed.

I say this all the time, yes there are ALOT of crazy people who over-embellish their children, but coaches are human too. They are not infallible and can make wrong judgment calls just as much as any other human.

There are times when parents and kids have valid arguments. The hard part is sifting through because there are so many complaints nowadays. High school sports are riddled with politics as well, and yes, sometimes very good players are getting screwed.
Two year starter suddenly isn't any good? Unlikely. Definitely sounds like retaliation.

Unfortunate, definitely sounds like retaliation. Without more context, its subjective but it sounds like something that could have been handled in house without getting the law involved. If the kid was a 2-year starter and was all league twice then he should definitely be on the team but its hard to say he could be a bad apple and have a negative impact on the teams success as a whole.

Shoulda just moved him to a different school if there were issues last year. Would have easily gotten an exemption