Expressions that I'm sick of hearing

Mansplaining.

(For you ladies out there, "mansplaining" is short for "man explaining")
The expression doesn't bother me. Its how it seems to get applied that annoys me.

Anymore just answering a question or even factually explaining to a female why they are wrong is labeled mansplaining.

Don't get me started on manspreading.

This whole thing always comes across as pretentious to me. You know what they are asking for/trying to say, so why must you be a pain in the backside about it?
Agree with you on the general principle of attempting to avoid answering a tough question like Burbank would do, but it did teach listeners to be very careful in stating exactly what they wanted to know. "Who hit the most homeruns after turning 40, as a switch hitter", is a very different question from "can you tell me who hit the most homeruns after turning 40, as a switch hitter".

Yes, it is pretentious, but a teachable moment at the same time.

The point is not asking can I or can you? I recall in third grade asking the teacher "can I go to the bathroom"? I'm certain she knew what I intended but she used that teachable moment to ask so the entire class could hear, " can you go to the bathroom? I dont know, can you? "

Last edited:
The expression doesn't bother me. Its how it seems to get applied that annoys me.

Anymore just answering a question or even factually explaining to a female why they are wrong is labeled mansplaining.

Don't get me started on manspreading.

Doesn't seem as if it's even "correcting." Just giving input or viewpoint is taken as presumption the man doesn't think thewomen knows. Like we're supposed to precede every statement with, "anyone need explanation of, how, ..." before commencing with the explanation of, how... even if you are the one that's paid to be the expert. 🤷

I've never had it said to me so I presume those sensitive types are elsewhere. However, if one does direct it at me, I'm ready with my femsplaining accusation.

In response to "How are You?"-- "I'm blessed." Really? From my perspective your life looks like a real steaming pile.

Another one- "Can I ask you a question?" Umm, you already have, thanks. Next.

In response to "How are You?"-- "I'm blessed." Really? From my perspective your life looks like a real steaming pile.
Ok. But when you ask that question how often do you really want to hear "I've been having a rough week, my dog died and I caught my wife with my brother, kids disowned me, boss tried to kill me, and to top it off I tripped into a wood chipper. "

One of my favorites from sports games -- call it both ways...no you really want them to call it YOUR way. It's incredible when you sit on one side of the gym, the fans think the refs are screwing them. Go over at half and sit on the other side and they think the same thing! 🤣 🤣

One of my favorites from sports games -- call it both ways...no you really want them to call it YOUR way. It's incredible when you sit on one side of the gym, the fans think the refs are screwing them. Go over at half and sit on the other side and they think the same thing! 🤣 🤣
Exactly..... Right in line with >>> "we just want you to get the call right"

I'll believe that once a coach comes to me and first argues, then asks me to get help about a call that went his way. ;)

Mine are mostly sports related.

"He had no one to throw to" and then they show a still of the coverage, but in reality in the NFL QBs throw WR open so often, and even 1 foot is open to some good QB>

"He threw just one bad pitch" to a pitcher who gave up a big HR. BS. He threw many bad pitches, but because baseball is so hard the hitter likely swung and missed, took it, smashed it right at someone or it was just a single, etc.

While I agree with a lot of these...if society started walking around talking like English professors without being able to anthropomorize, use a simile, metaphor, personification, hyperbole, allusion, oxymoron, jargon or idiom, then civilization may cease to exist.

While I agree with a lot of these...if society started walking around talking like English professors without being able to anthropomorize, use a simile, metaphor, personification, hyperbole, allusion, oxymoron, jargon or idiom, then civilization may cease to exist.
I'm with you, but not sure about the hyperbole at the end of your statement.

"It don't make no never mind to me."
That's a painful sentence construction. Great example of how far our elementary education curriculum standards have fallen.

In my day, the teachers taught everyone it was "It don't make me no never mind", or else you stayed after school to clap the erasers.

A few sports quotes I'm tired of hearing are, "the refs can't call that foul at that point in the game." "Let the players determine the outcome of the game." "The ref should swallow their whistle at that point in the game." BLAH, BLAH, BLAH ...
A foul is a foul. Be it at the start or end of a game. Change the rules if that is what you want but stop all of it until then.