Electric Cars - Autos - What's Next !

Isn't this just common sense? The items needed for a battery just don't get picked off trees. They have to dig holes in the ground or use Top/Down mining or strip mining. That destroys habitats and leads more often than not to poisons in the drinking water.

Isn't this just common sense? The items needed for a battery just don't get picked off trees. They have to dig holes in the ground or use Top/Down mining or strip mining. That destroys habitats and leads more often than not to poisons in the drinking water.

So - pumping up oil thru a pipe is less intrusive ! ?
images.jpg

I'm not disagreeing with this either. You're 100% correct. The argument is battery powered cars are far more cleaner than gas powered, which is true after they're built. But I'm talking about the process of building the cars power supply. Most definitely like fossil fuel power, much of the environment is destroyed. I've been through eastern Ky and have seen the damage from the coal mines and seen the local water supply deemed unworthy to drink out of (Martin Co.). A lot of this has to do with the owners and operators not giving about the results of carelessness and also true accidents. Mountain tops literally disappearing, trees gone that effect the birds and animals on the ground, the nasty water that flows to bigger water sources poising the water life.

Touting battery powered vehicles as 100% green is a lie for the reasons above. The only way to have true green energy is with nuclear power.

But the digging or strip mining will take place in China which is good with the liberals.

But the digging or strip mining will take place in China which is good with the liberals.

Eh, if China wants to wreck their natural resources, let em. It’ll be beneficial in the short term, harmful the long term.

Although if there’s a country who can afford to lose some usable (or unusable) land space it’s China and Russia. So maybe not as harmful long term as I first thought.

My brother-in-law and sister in Phoenix bought a Tesla a couple of years ago. I went out there just after they bought it. They loved it! My BIL bragged about how much power it had and its 0-60 time.

It was fine for my sister to drive to work 20 min. Then she tried to drive it to Cottonwood to visit her daughter. She made it about 3/4 of the way and ran out of juice. Had to get towed. She had to be towed a couple of dozen times over the next 2 years. They no longer have it and they fell out of love.

The battery technology isn't there yet and we have no charging infrastructure.
I've been saying all along until they perfect the re-charging functionality while the car is running it's just not practical for long distance travel.

I've been saying all along until they perfect the re-charging functionality while the car is running it's just not practical for long distance travel.
The majority of cars do not do long distance travel. Half the cars on the rode are not practical for long distance travel because they are so small. Tesla’s have had the highest buyer satisfaction rating by Consumer Reports of any manufacturer for 4 consecutive years. Tesla sales doubled YoY in Q’2 2021.

The majority of cars do not do long distance travel. Half the cars on the rode are not practical for long distance travel because they are so small............................

Say what????? long distance travel is not practical because cars are so small ?????
Obviously, the comfort level driving any vehicle has more to do with the practicality of driving long distances than the size of a car.

The moon has a good amount of lithium. I know Musk is shooting for Mars but I would shock me if he doesn’t also envision putting mining operations there

Say what????? long distance travel is not practical because cars are so small ?????
If you are traveling a long distance you are in the car for a long time and being uncomfortable is not practical. You also are likely going somewhere for multiple days and need to pack stuff that will not easily fit into a tiny car. The best cars for long haul travel are big cars.

If you are traveling a long distance you are in the car for a long time and being uncomfortable is not practical. You also are likely going somewhere for multiple days and need to pack stuff that will not easily fit into a tiny car. The best cars for long haul travel are big cars.

The best cars for long travel is how comfortable the ride, size has nothing to do with it.
A Mercedes Aclass is a small car, excellent ride.

The best cars for long travel is how comfortable the ride, size has nothing to do with it.
A Mercedes A4 is a small car, excellent ride.
I disagree because I’m almost 6’4” and that car is tiny to sit in. I would much rather sit is a big Tesla Model X, drive 350 miles, take a 20 minute break to stretch and super charge another 200 miles and be on my way.

I disagree because I’m almost 6’4” and that car is tiny to sit in. I would much rather sit is a big Tesla Model X, drive 350 miles, take a 20 minute break to stretch and super charge another 200 miles and be on my way.
Most people aren't 6'4"

99.57% of US adult males are less than 6'4"

Last edited:

You're also obese. So, there's that. ?

I guess for fat guys, traveling in most cars for a long time is a big ask. You're on fire lately, well done.

I agree that electric cars are not ready to take over the market 100% right now … but last night I watched a Seinfeld episode and it had an early car phone … it was a joke … many people in the early 90’s thought they would never be popular … now it is hard to find an adult that doesn’t own one … I see electric cars taking the same route … it’s just a matter of time.