Elder Enrollment Strategy

Elder is not going to raise their tuition $5000 in one year. They won't, and can't do that. Generally, the tuition goes up a couple of hundred dollars a year.

Not saying Elder will do it but, as a point of reference, 2 years ago my sons' HS (St. Charles Columbus) increased tuition from 12 to 16+ in one year. It was quite a shocker.

If I recall correctly, just vague "costs" increasing, etc. Some cynical people think/thought it was in advance of the voucher change. Followed by largest incoming freshmen class (pre voucher change) ever.
It will be interesting as to how the new EdChoice system affects schools’ tuition now—grade schools included.

If I recall correctly, just vague "costs" increasing, etc. Some cynical people think/thought it was in advance of the voucher change.
The voucher expansion was passed by the legislature and signed by the governor in June of 2023. Prior to that even during the most recent biennial budget negotiations there was a pretty wide difference between what the state senate and state assembly had planned for expansion. When did the tuition increase from $12K to $16K?

Last edited:
It will be interesting as to how the new EdChoice system affects schools’ tuition now—grade schools included.
I hope the people running Catholic education at both the parish and diocesan levels across the state are aware of how much political power is wielded by organizations opposed to school choice. Recently, Illinois took a sizeable step backwards and as a result a few Catholic schools in the state have announced they will be forced to close because of how many of their students relied on the expanded vouchers to cover tuition.

I hope the people running Catholic education at both the parish and diocesan levels across the state are aware of how much political power is wielded by organizations opposed to school choice. Recently, Illinois took a sizeable step backwards and as a result a few Catholic schools in the state have announced they will be forced to close because of how many of their students relied on the expanded vouchers to cover tuition.
Yes. I am glad my kids are closer to the end of their Catholic school years, as opposed to the beginning.

The voucher expansion was passed by the legislature and signed by the governor in June of 2023. Prior to that even during the most recent biennial budget negotiations there was a pretty wide difference between what the state senate and state assembly had planned for expansion. When did the tuition increase from $12K to $16K?

I'd have to confirm, but I'm pretty certain it was for 22-23 school year.

Our school, I assume like most, simply raised the tuition to the max voucher contribution. Schools would be stupid to do anything else, unless places like Ignatius or VisiSpirit want to raise it to keep some folks away.

Our school, I assume like most, simply raised the tuition to the max voucher contribution. Schools would be stupid to do anything else, unless places like Ignatius or VisiSpirit want to raise it to keep some folks away.
Raise to Max or Min? Are you saying minimum award, which is $650?

There was a high school coaches clinic in Columbus a couple weeks ago and they talked in length about the OHSAA expansion/realignment of the number of state champions in numerous sports. Heard they said that it is not going out for a membership vote but will be voted on by a special committee which probably tells you that it is going to pass - this only pertains to soccer, softball, girls volleyball, basketball & baseball. If/when passed, this could possibly be implanted next fall

Based on last years base numbers - Elder will be considered D2 and roughly 70ish away from the bottom of D1. Is it important enough for them to be considered D1 in all sports? If so, how aggressive will they get to increase enrollment and can they get there?

From a girls perspective, there will not be a private/catholic school in D1. Outside of MM, the GGCL schools will be D2.

Last edited:
Based on last years base numbers - Elder will be considered D2 and roughly 70ish away from the bottom of D1. Is it important enough for them to be considered D1 in all sports? If so, how aggressive will they get to increase enrollment and can they get there?
I think it’s very important from an athletics perspective to compete at the highest level against the best opponents. Some have said in the past, that Elder could juice their competitive balance numbers to stay in D1.

Right. That would basically cancel out the new EdChoice scholarship ... a true shot to the foot.

No doubt. Plus this is the west side. You can’t charge anything close to $18k like St X does. Elder (or LaSalle for that matter) will never be a predominantly white collar school like St X that draws from uber wealthy areas like the northern suburbs and east side where cutting an $18k check is pocket change.

Of course tuitions are going to increase across the board. There was a big increase in government money. This shouldn't be surprising to anyone.

Our grade school cost is raising significantly next year. Undoubtedly due to edchoice, and I think folks could see it coming from a mile away.

There was a high school coaches clinic in Columbus a couple weeks ago and they talked in length about the OHSAA expansion/realignment of the number of state champions in numerous sports. Heard they said that it is not going out for a membership vote but will be voted on by a special committee which probably tells you that it is going to pass - this only pertains to soccer, softball, girls volleyball, basketball & baseball. If/when passed, this could possibly be implanted next fall

From a girls perspective, there will not be a private/catholic school in D1. Outside of MM, the GGCL schools will be D2.
I’m confused about this. The OHSAA Base number for D1 is currently 606. Elder’s Sophomore, Junior and Senior classes are currently above this number without having to add any Competitive Balance numbers. How are they 70ish away from the bottom of D1? This doesn’t seem correct. What am I missing?

Most grade schools are switching tuition to $6100 to max out how much $ they can get from the state then. Kind of foolish not to do this.
I agree, and don't be surprised if tuitions go significantly above that for grade schools. The staff members at the schools are all going to want significant raises now due to the influx of money, and rightfully so.

I agree, and don't be surprised if tuitions go significantly above that for grade schools. The staff members at the schools are all going to want significant raises now due to the influx of money, and rightfully so.

There has been zero talk of raising grade school tuition above the EdChoice max. Teachers did get a big raise this year after the hike to the EdChoice max.

Nothing more in the works…

There has been zero talk of raising grade school tuition above the EdChoice max. Teachers did get a big raise this year after the hike to the EdChoice max.

Nothing more in the works…
Good to hear.

If demand increases significantly, then you'll see tuition above that max.

Good to hear.

If demand increases significantly, then you'll see tuition above that max.

Again, no.

As of now most grade schools are not planning to increase their max enrollment numbers they had before EdChoice was announced. They want to maximize the resources they have and keep tuition down so they can fully serve their parishioners.

There are still many families that are active participants in the parish that can’t afford tuition. With EdChoice, the schools can now serve them too without increasing their costs.

They will get more because they are semi-private heading towards public teachers.