Elder Enrollment Strategy

Am I wrong? Seems like parents who hoped their out of pocket tuition costs were going to come down as a result of EdChoice will not see much of a discount?

So I’ll ask again, what happens when the state government money spigot is turned off or reduced? Does tuition go back down? Are faculty and staff asked to take a pay cut? Are Catholic high schools now $15,000 to $20,000 and grade schools $6,000 to $8,000 out of pocket?

How does this not end in disaster?

So I’ll ask again, what happens when the state government money spigot is turned off or reduced? Does tuition go back down? Are faculty and staff asked to take a pay cut? Are Catholic high schools now $15,000 to $20,000 and grade schools $6,000 to $8,000 out of pocket?

Yes. All good questions. And my vote is disaster at some point. I’m considering all of my options at this point.

Correct. Actually costs can go up, even if you received something via EdChoice. Ours did.
Is this increase in cost driving you or others away or looking at alternative options? There's only so much money in families' pockets.

These schools really need to think hard about what they are doing or they will end up like St. Martin.

The vouchers combined with Beacons of Light (especially at the grade school level) seems to be going south really fast. The schools are extremely important to the communities, especially on the west side.

I’m confused about this. The OHSAA Base number for D1 is currently 606. Elder’s Sophomore, Junior and Senior classes are currently above this number without having to add any Competitive Balance numbers. How are they 70ish away from the bottom of D1? This doesn’t seem correct. What am I missing?
The OHSAA website has the enrollment numbers - I just stacked ranked the high schools. Based on the numbers they published, Elder was ranked # 78. The link I found is now password protected (2022-23 and 2023-24 OHSAA Member School Enrollments) - maybe they are updating it. When looking at "2019-20, 2020-21 and 2021-22 High School Enrollments" link Elder is 62 away (ranked 74)

Comparing the 2 lists, Elder's enrollment numbers went from 570 to 567. Seton went from 422 to 484

Here is the link - https://www.ohsaa.org/school-resources/school-enrollment

I think it’s very important from an athletics perspective to compete at the highest level against the best opponents. Some have said in the past, that Elder could juice their competitive balance numbers to stay in D1.
Just curious how they could do this to the tune of 60-70+ which is an increase of 10% over the published numbers? I am assuming Elder has already done some of this in these numbers (BTW I have no idea how these are calculated))

Given the fact that the number of D1 schools are going to be limited to 64, it may be a good chance that everyone will be trying to do this and given the state's propensity of ruling against parochial schools, will these calculations be highly scrutinized?

Just curious how they could do this to the tune of 60-70+ which is an increase of 10% over the published numbers? I am assuming Elder has already done some of this in these numbers (BTW I have no idea how these are calculated))

Given the fact that the number of D1 schools are going to be limited to 64, it may be a good chance that everyone will be trying to do this and given the state's propensity of ruling against parochial schools, will these calculations be highly scrutinized?
I have no clue either. I just saw on the OHSAA site that for 2023 Elder had 567 students in grades 10-12 and a Competitive Balance number of 98 for a total of 665. I don’t know where either of these numbers came from.

Maybe the increase in tuition is more of a Beacons of Light thing versus a money grab from Ed Choice as it is all happening at the same time.

Grant it I have been away from serving on a Parish Finance committee for a while but I believe westside schools still set tuition based on combining the parish and school finances and looking where they believe they will end up at the end of the fiscal year and hoping they have a little surplus at the end to supplement a year that comes a little under plan. With the combination of Parish's, the approach could be to start separating out the finances for the church and school and letting the schools "stand on their own"

If this is the case, where is the excess cash from Sunday Giving, bequests etc. going to go or be used for - wouldn't doubt it if you see the AoC Assessment creeping up

There was a high school coaches clinic in Columbus a couple weeks ago and they talked in length about the OHSAA expansion/realignment of the number of state champions in numerous sports. Heard they said that it is not going out for a membership vote but will be voted on by a special committee which probably tells you that it is going to pass - this only pertains to soccer, softball, girls volleyball, basketball & baseball. If/when passed, this could possibly be implanted next fall

Based on last years base numbers - Elder will be considered D2 and roughly 70ish away from the bottom of D1. Is it important enough for them to be considered D1 in all sports? If so, how aggressive will they get to increase enrollment and can they get there?

From a girls perspective, there will not be a private/catholic school in D1. Outside of MM, the GGCL schools will be D2.
Going back to this, here is more on this subject:

As for the competitive balance numbers, from what I've read Elder and all non-public schools have a couple of choices when it comes selecting their designated feeder schools. Option 1, the original method, requires a school to select a public school district attendance zone. Option 2 came about in 2019 as the result of litigation commenced by the GCL Co-Ed schools. It permits non-public schools to utilize all elementary schools of the same system of education that are physically located within a 12.5-mile radius of the high school as designated feeder schools. The two methods yield different numbers. So if Elder's base enrollment number puts it in D-II for football, and one option will keep them there and the second will bump them up to D-I, the school can choose which way they want to go. If both will bump them up to D-I the choice they make is of course meaningless.
Others are way more knowledgeable about this than I am, so if I am in error someone please post a correction.

Btw, it was announced last week that the Olentangy school district will be building a fifth high school. If Olentangy Orange and Berlin high schools are any indication (the last two schools that opened), the new school will open as D-II for football before going to D-I in two or three years.

Is this increase in cost driving you or others away or looking at alternative options? There's only so much money in families' pockets.

These schools really need to think hard about what they are doing or they will end up like St. Martin.

The vouchers combined with Beacons of Light (especially at the grade school level) seems to be going south really fast. The schools are extremely important to the communities, especially on the west side.

What is “going south?”

The EdChoice expansion has not even completed its first year. The closing at St. Martin was coming regardless of Beacons of Light. The parish is still open and the other schools on the family will absorb the students.

How it should end and how it will end are different things. Since the govt is involved, it will likely not end well, as you suspect.

What is “going south?”

The EdChoice expansion has not even completed its first year. The closing at St. Martin was coming regardless of Beacons of Light. The parish is still open and the other schools on the family will absorb the students.
What's been positive about either Beacons or Ed Choice expansion.

When Beacons was announced, people were very concerned about schools and churches closing. We were told repeatedly not to worry, and if closures happen, they'd be way down the line. Well, so far a school closed in OTR and now one is closing in Cheviot. And we are still quite early in the process. And what makes you so confident that the surrounding schools can absorb 180+ students so easily? We've already established on here that none of the west side schools are remotely interested in expanding enrollment, even though they have the room.

Ed Choice expansion was supposed to be about removing barriers to private school education, by making it more affordable. Yet, less than a year later we are seeing schools raise tuition over those maximum grant amounts, to put those barriers back in place. I know it's only a couple of schools that are rumoring to do so, but it's not a good look.

Yep. It absolutely will end in disaster if these schools are all going to massively bump tuition because of Edchoice. I’d be surprised if Edchoice lasts for more than a handful of years.

Last edited:
My understanding is that Moellers didn’t go up that much they are just showing it differently. The 22k number minus the ~5500 endowment scholarship that everyone gets.

I also assume the St Veronica number is for non parishioners…if so that mirrors Guardian Angels

My understanding is that Moellers didn’t go up that much they are just showing it differently. The 22k number minus the ~5500 endowment scholarship that everyone gets.

I also assume the St Veronica number is for non parishioners…if so that mirrors Guardian Angels
‘A $5500 scholarship that everyone gets’ has never been a thing at Moeller, until now—the same year tuition goes from $16k to $22.5k.
Wonder how transparent schools will be in their annual report/finances.

‘A $5500 scholarship that everyone gets’ has never been a thing at Moeller, until now—the same year tuition goes from $16k to $22.5k.
Wonder how transparent schools will be in their annual report/finances.
I won’t argue - it seems like you have more knowlege on this than I do. My son will be a freshman next year so just basing it on his acceptance package and what others have told us

I won’t argue - it seems like you have more knowlege on this than I do. My son will be a freshman next year so just basing it on his acceptance package and what others have told us
I figured. I am not trying to attack you or the information—just pointing out something.

I am waiting for a few more schools to release their costs for next year.

I hope the people running Catholic education at both the parish and diocesan levels across the state are aware of how much political power is wielded by organizations opposed to school choice. Recently, Illinois took a sizeable step backwards and as a result a few Catholic schools in the state have announced they will be forced to close because of how many of their students relied on the expanded vouchers to cover tuition.
Do you have a link or info to the Illinois Catholic Schools closing? Not doubting, just wanting to read into the history.

I hope the people running Catholic education at both the parish and diocesan levels across the state are aware of how much political power is wielded by organizations opposed to school choice. Recently, Illinois took a sizeable step backwards and as a result a few Catholic schools in the state have announced they will be forced to close because of how many of their students relied on the expanded vouchers to cover tuition.
Excellent point here.

Teachers Unions are the reason why Kentucky has a Democrat governor, yet every other state official is a Republican.

I always wondered this. Some of these grade schools are a majority vouchers now. If the spicket from the state ever shuts off, these schools will all close immediately. If a hs now charges 16k a year with a 6k voucher to make up the difference, do they now charge less? When have you ever seen a school go backwards tuition wise at any level of education??

It had nothing to do with the disaster Republican Governor that was in between the two Beshears?
Disaster is far too kind a word for that lowlife.

But yes it did. When you’re such a POS that even a state like Kentucky that would still vote for a POS like Trump rejects you, you know you’re bad. Luckily a decent human being like Beshear was there to beat him.

Disaster is far too kind a word for that lowlife.

But yes it did. When you’re such a POS that even a state like Kentucky that would still vote for a POS like Trump rejects you, you know you’re bad. Luckily a decent human being like Beshear was there to beat him.
Trump is a lot better than Biden. That has been proven over the last 3 years, but then someone like you can't think for themselves and depend on traditional media to get your information.

Bevin tried to save the teacher's pension. The teachers were just too short sited to see it. Sort of like you.

Anyone (Beshear) who supports the murder of unborn babies is not a decent person.