Elder Enrollment Strategy

You realize there is an income scale, right?

I am fully aware. Does a family of 4 making $180,000 a year need $2,600 to send their kids to private school?

1705150014114.png

For those who haven't noticed cincifbfan is generally a troll who occasionally has something worthwhile to say. His favorite troll topic is trashing Catholic schools, targeting Elder and Seton in particular because their supporters are very proud of those institutions. He enjoys the attention he gets in these debates by throwing out inflammatory generalities he presents as facts. Thatguy served it up this time and cincifbfan will feed on it for days if you allow him to with your continued responses to his drivel. I would encourage everyone to stop feeding the troll but what the heck, there isn't much else happening on this board these days so if you enjoy these types of conversations have at it. I'm sure Yappi appreciates the activity! 😂
I'm trying to figure out where I trash Catholic schools? I have asked questions that nobody can really answer except for "it's a great place, you clearly don't have a clue." There's more flip-flopping than John Kerry on here any time I ask a question or bring up a valid point.

I don't know how to be more clear, that I am not against Catholic schools.

Recently 6 girls shadowed Mercy McAuley to transfer for a reason. Academically Seton is not great and I believe Mercy McAuley runs circles around them in that department. Seton has better sports but based on size I don’t think the discrepancy is as big as it should be. The girls who shadowed said Seton is clicky, has bullies and plays favoritism in sports based on which club you play for. Not saying this is all true but what was said.

As for Lasalle, I disagree. The new leadership is putting a high emphasis on more than just sports. I’m eager to see what that school does in the next few years.
Yes, La Salle is just fine. They’re pouring money into the school in all phases. I’m not sure why these decade-old storylines survive on this forum, but it’s all false. They were in trouble after Luebbe wrecked it, but it is fine now.

I heard Elder is raising tuition to $18,000. Assuming this is true, I figured it was just a matter of time before schools started raising tuition to basically double dip. Disappointing.
Wow, doubled in just about 15 years. IIRC my senior year in the late 2000s was $8,500 give or take a couple hundred.

I heard Elder is raising tuition to $18,000. Assuming this is true, I figured it was just a matter of time before schools started raising tuition to basically double dip. Disappointing.
That is a 30% increase if they do that. I sure hope they don't do this but I have heard rumblings thru people serving on various Parish boards that they are considering this strategy as well with the grade school tuition.

I sure hope not - just short sightedness on their part. If this happens, I wouldn't doubt it then if the AoC assessment % sky rocketed.

That's about the same cost at X I believe
The difference between St X and Elder is the logic behind granting money to families. Elder uses that piece of garbage FASFA - St X bases their giving on how much tuition you are paying to catholic schools (plus kids) vs your take home pay. Know several parents that decided to send their sons to St X as they ended up getting $'s from St X and nothing from Elder - in the end, St X was cheaper than Elder for them

This is laughably false. That would make them the most expensive in the GCL. St. X isn't even charging that.

From the St. Xavier email.
Actual Cost to Educate a Student at St. Xavier High School$24,780.00
Long Blue Line Scholarship$6,350.00
Tuition and Fees for 2024-2025$18,430.00
Another perk St. Xavier includes is acceptance to Xavier University when you graduate from St. Xavier and you will also receive an academic scholarship from XU. (How much that scholarship is they do not say) This program was announced a few months ago in the Enquirer.

Last edited:
I believe we got a fair amount of St. Ignatius kids last year that are now freshman and a handful of St. James kids. Lasalle is zeroing in on those families with some very interesting offers to get those families back. It includes Ed-choice as a factor for tuition and significant discounts on the balance of tuition and in some cases scholarships that we will have to see where this all shakes out but schools are raising tuition all over the grade school fronts from what I have been told.

From the St. Xavier email.
Actual Cost to Educate a Student at St. Xavier High School$24,780.00
Long Blue Line Scholarship$6,350.00
Tuition and Fees for 2024-2025$18,430.00
Another perk St. Xavier includes is acceptance to Xavier University when you graduate from St. Xavier and you will also receive an academic scholarship from XU. (How much that scholarship is they do not say) This program was announced a few months ago in the Enquirer.
$1831 is what you get off XU tuition with that direct partnership. The 1831 comes from the year XU was founded. XU tuition is $48k so let’s not oversell this.

I believe we got a fair amount of St. Ignatius kids last year that are now freshman and a handful of St. James kids. Lasalle is zeroing in on those families with some very interesting offers to get those families back. It includes Ed-choice as a factor for tuition and significant discounts on the balance of tuition and in some cases scholarships that we will have to see where this all shakes out but schools are raising tuition all over the grade school fronts from what I have been told.
I’m sure there were other issues but I thought a lot of LaSalles issues 5-10 years ago was in part due to massive discounted tuition? Seems like an interesting idea.