Elder Enrollment Strategy

I noticed Purcell Marian is having a spring open house, that would be a beneficial event for Elder to hold.

If Elder is placing a cap on enrollment, then yes, it’s a bad decision. That’s of course assuming the kids on the wait list applied in a timely manner and don’t have any disciplinary issues.

The class the graduated last year had under 170 kids, they can take on a class of 220-230.
I am assuming that Elder and the rest of the Archdiocese High Schools run autonomously similar to all of the Parish's

Why is it a bad decision? Decisions are made with respect to how this will affect the school's finances over the course of 3-5 years. With the wait list, no one truely knows how many guys are waiting plus there is a history of how many guys that accept the invite then end up turning it down later giving everyone on the wait list an opportunity to go to Elder. A case in point is Seton, when they have hit their growth spurt, they methodically added staff so the additional resources would be used over a long period of time and not put them in a bad position to get rid of someone that they needed for a class or two. This year Seton had a wait list but everyone on that wait list got the opportunity to go to Seton.

IMHO people making comments on the decisions of how Elder runs its finances should first serve on a Parish Finance Committee. You will see first hand how long/short term decisions are made.

I am assuming that Elder and the rest of the Archdiocese High Schools run autonomously similar to all of the Parish's

Why is it a bad decision? Decisions are made with respect to how this will affect the school's finances over the course of 3-5 years. With the wait list, no one truely knows how many guys are waiting plus there is a history of how many guys that accept the invite then end up turning it down later giving everyone on the wait list an opportunity to go to Elder. A case in point is Seton, when they have hit their growth spurt, they methodically added staff so the additional resources would be used over a long period of time and not put them in a bad position to get rid of someone that they needed for a class or two. This year Seton had a wait list but everyone on that wait list got the opportunity to go to Seton.

IMHO people making comments on the decisions of how Elder runs its finances should first serve on a Parish Finance Committee. You will see first hand how long/short term decisions are made.
I’d understand if it was a ridiculous number like 300. However, I don’t see why they couldn’t go up to 220-230, if there’s that level of demand. It’s not enough to maintain a holding pattern, you need to grow to remain competitive.

Seton isn’t a great comp because they’re main competition closed. And that’s not to undersell the work the people at Seton have done, but your biggest competitor going under is going to provide a big spike in enrollment.

I’d understand if it was a ridiculous number like 300. However, I don’t see why they couldn’t go up to 220-230, if there’s that level of demand. It’s not enough to maintain a holding pattern, you need to grow to remain competitive.

Seton isn’t a great comp because they’re main competition closed. And that’s not to undersell the work the people at Seton have done, but your biggest competitor going under is going to provide a big spike in enrollment.
Using the comparison of Seton as an example of a school incrementally adding resources when the continued demand is there while maintaining the appropriate student/teacher ratios and doesn't bring on unnecessary costs before it absolutely has to.

Easier said then actually brining in more students than the current environment can support appropriately - maintaining the appropriate student/teacher ratios, other resource $'s needed to increase and a lot more added factors.

I suggest you volunteer for a Parish Council &/or Finance Committee to understand the thought process of a waiting list vs bringing on more resources. It is definitely harder than people truly realize

Using the comparison of Seton as an example of a school incrementally adding resources when the continued demand is there while maintaining the appropriate student/teacher ratios and doesn't bring on unnecessary costs before it absolutely has to.

Easier said then actually brining in more students than the current environment can support appropriately - maintaining the appropriate student/teacher ratios, other resource $'s needed to increase and a lot more added factors.

I suggest you volunteer for a Parish Council &/or Finance Committee to understand the thought process of a waiting list vs bringing on more resources. It is definitely harder than people truly realize
The Demand is there because their biggest competitor is gone. Again, not trying to minimize how great they’ve done over there, but Elder is competing in a tougher environment.

Also, I have a CFA, I understand Finance. The marginal contribution in tuition from an additional 15-20 students should more than offset the additional resources spent on them.

And to be perfectly blunt, my only allegiance is to Elder. I only care about the parishes based on how their enrollment impacts Elder. I certainly don’t care about the Churches or Diocese themselves. I have a singular focus on what’s best for Elder, everything else means nothing to me.

The Demand is there because their biggest competitor is gone. Again, not trying to minimize how great they’ve done over there, but Elder is competing in a tougher environment.

Also, I have a CFA, I understand Finance. The marginal contribution in tuition from an additional 15-20 students should more than offset the additional resources spent on them.

And to be perfectly blunt, my only allegiance is to Elder. I only care about the parishes based on how their enrollment impacts Elder. I certainly don’t care about the Churches or Diocese themselves. I have a singular focus on what’s best for Elder, everything else means nothing to me.
So because you have a CFA you are able to determine Elder has made a bad decision capping freshmen enrollment at 210 without seeing the information they used to make their decision? I didn’t know that CFAs came with that super power. ?

Last edited:
So because you have a CFA you are able to determine Elder has made a bad decision capping freshmen enrollment at 210 without seeing the information they used to make their decision? I didn’t know that CFAs came with that super power. ?
I understand marginal rate of contribution, where at a certain point the tuition generated from the additional students will not be equal to the resources spent on them. However, I don’t believe that number is as low as 210.

I understand marginal rate of contribution, where at a certain point the tuition generated from the additional students will not be equal to the resources spent on them. However, I don’t believe that number is as low as 210.
A comment like this shows that you have no idea what other factors go into a decision like this. There is more to the math than you realize.

That's why I suggested you volunteer to gain experience so you understand or better yet, call Ruffing to get on Elders.

We don’t if that 210 cap is permanent and we don’t know why kids are on the Waitlist. It could be they’re waitlisted for specific reasons and not the hard 210 cap.
Kurt Ruffing confirmed tonight at an alumni function that next years Freshmen class will be 210. No mention of a cap or waiting list. Next years enrollment will be 770. It was not a Q and A environment. Just info updates.

Kurt Ruffing confirmed tonight at an alumni function that next years Freshmen class will be 210. No mention of a cap or waiting list. Next years enrollment will be 770. It was not a Q and A environment. Just info updates.
770? That’s too small to cap enrollment.

Did anyone else receive the Mailer from Oak Hills? Looks like an advertisement for the school as well as building a case for the next tax levy that they will be putting on the ballot

Probably not good timing since we just recently received our property tax bill!

Did anyone else receive the Mailer from Oak Hills? Looks like an advertisement for the school as well as building a case for the next tax levy that they will be putting on the ballot

Probably not good timing since we just recently received our property tax bill!
I don’t see a problem with a district selling themselves. Should they just shut up and keep their head down?

I don’t see a problem with a district selling themselves. Should they just shut up and keep their head down?
Sorry not sure where I inferred/said that - that was never the intent of my response.

Unlike some of the posters on here, I like Oak Hills and think it is a good school. I just found the mailer interesting and had unfortunate timing

Should government entities be using taxpayer money to "sell themselves?"
Should commenters be educated on a topic before “spouting off”?

Attachments

• 93C7851A-19CC-441F-802D-5EC4C6884FAE.jpeg
    93C7851A-19CC-441F-802D-5EC4C6884FAE.jpeg
    203.3 KB · Views: 31
Any word on the number of students that will be in Elder's freshman class next year?

Heard that Seton has another strong class coming in - they may be closing in on 670-680+ students
Elder’s website says “Elder serves 797 students 2022-2023”

I think this number will increase.

Seton out here living Pboy’s dream for Elder. So close, yet so far.
If Elder’s biggest competitor went under, I’m sure they’d have an influx of enrollment too. This also should finally dispel the talk about enrollment being in danger bc the school is in Price Hill.

Last edited:
If Elder’s biggest competitor went under, I’m sure they’d have an influx of enrollment too. This also should finally dispel the talk about enrollment being in danger bc the school is in Price Hill.
Before the merger, Seton was already kicking Mercy's rearend and in the process of taking students from McAuley in St James & St I's Parish's.

It wasn't that Seton just "got" the students to come over to the school from the Westside without doing anything. Yes they got a few but they have competition from Ursula, MND, Ursuline, Roger Bacon etc. There were around 6 girls from Visi last year that went to MND.

Seton is doing something right as they are getting eastside girls going there too. They are also getting a handful from Taylor each year

Seton is starting to become a powerhouse. I’m talking enrollment wise, academically and in athletics. They are drawing students from everywhere. Very impressive
One thing that is interesting is Seton's leadership structure has a President that focus on the growth of the school and Principal (like a COO) that focuses on the day to day operations of the school. Similar schools are setup like that - would Elder benefit from that as this would be a challenge to focus on both?

BTW I heard that the incoming class is around 197 with 15/30 on the waiting list. This should push them well over the 700 mark as Jr, So & Freshman classes will be 190ish each