Elder Enrollment Strategy

We are discussing Cincinnati here. Do your numbers support the Cincinnati area? Has the cost of living gone up or down in Cincinnati? Income risen or fallen? Has population gone up or down? I don't know. Don't even really care honestly. Let's say you are right, and families cannot keep up with the cost of tuition as you are suggesting, yes, as you have already said there is a lot of financial aid available. Elder is also taking vouchers now. Some who don't qualify for voucher or a lot of financial aid can make other sacrifices. 2nd job, used car instead of brand new, cheaper car, less vacations, smaller/cheaper house. You make it sound like Catholic schools are $40,000-$50,000 a year and only the real rich kids can afford it.

About the smaller schools, my point is there is a market for small, Catholic schools. You literally said "I honestly find it incredible that there are still so many catholic schools afloat. Good for them."

I've given more than enough reasons why "so many catholic schools afloat". Have a good cincifbfan.
Wow, you are really out of touch with how things are. I'll give you some numbers since you asked, but don't care.... Average family income is in Cincinnati is below the nation's while rent in Cincinnati has seen the highest increase of any city in the nation. Housing increase in Cincinnati is again toward the top. Cincinnati has one of the highest childhood poverty rates in the nation, over 40% of children live in poverty in Cincinnati, and in Hamilton County, over 24% of kids live in poverty.

So tell me again how affordable this is for Cincy families.

So again, please educate me. I have made no statements in an absolute fashion, just an inquisitive one.

I acknowledge that the 3 parents I have personally talked to are most likely in the minority, or else Seton would be down with their enrollment. But I ask again, what is great there besides all the fun stuff, what about their academics in particular sets Seton apart from the competition?
"I'm saying increased enrollment is positive, we all agree on that. What I'm saying is Seton has done so by trying to be the "cool school" and not really offering anything of actual value. They are marketing on fun and it's working. I just don't understand why parents would want that for their child and don't think that's a path Elder should follow is what I'm saying."

I was reacting to your above statement.

Reference to actual value stung a bit.

As an educator, you can appreciate having an environment with decent academic offerings while providing a positive environment and culture could encourage some students to stay more engaged.

"I'm saying increased enrollment is positive, we all agree on that. What I'm saying is Seton has done so by trying to be the "cool school" and not really offering anything of actual value. They are marketing on fun and it's working. I just don't understand why parents would want that for their child and don't think that's a path Elder should follow is what I'm saying."

I was reacting to your above statement.

Reference to actual value stung a bit.

As an educator, you can appreciate having an environment with decent academic offerings while providing a positive environment and culture could encourage some students to stay more engaged.
Absolutely I can appreciate those things.

My ultimate point is for the decades ahead, schools will need to offer more than positive environment and culture to stay viable with ever increasing tuition, along with stagnant wages, rapidly increasing housing, transportation, food, etc.

That's the only point I was trying to make. That the schools need to be getting ahead of these things sooner rather than later for their own viability.

Absolutely I can appreciate those things.

My ultimate point is for the decades ahead, schools will need to offer more than positive environment and culture to stay viable with ever increasing tuition, along with stagnant wages, rapidly increasing housing, transportation, food, etc.

That's the only point I was trying to make. That the schools need to be getting ahead of these things sooner rather than later for their own viability.

Haven't back-read everything so may have missed it: How would you judge academic value?

Wow, you are really out of touch with how things are. I'll give you some numbers since you asked, but don't care.... Average family income is in Cincinnati is below the nation's while rent in Cincinnati has seen the highest increase of any city in the nation. Housing increase in Cincinnati is again toward the top. Cincinnati has one of the highest childhood poverty rates in the nation, over 40% of children live in poverty in Cincinnati, and in Hamilton County, over 24% of kids live in poverty.

That's the City of Cincinnati. How about Green Township, Miami Township, Delhi Township?

You win ok? It's not as affordable any more, but like I said there is a lot of financial aid available, there is vouchers, there is scholarships. There is families making sacrifices getting a 2nd job, cutting costs, etc.

You originally said you were surprised that so many Catholic schools are still afloat. I've given reason after reason why they are. Just acknowledge that and say thanks now you know why they are thriving. We all learn something new everyday.

CPS is a failing district right? All students living in the CPS district qualify for a EdChoice Scholarship/Voucher. There you go. That is how it is affordable.

That's the City of Cincinnati. How about Green Township, Miami Township, Delhi Township?

You win ok? It's not as affordable any more, but like I said there is a lot of financial aid available, there is vouchers, there is scholarships. There is families making sacrifices getting a 2nd job, cutting costs, etc.

You originally said you were surprised that so many Catholic schools are still afloat. I've given reason after reason why they are. Just acknowledge that and say thanks now you know why they are thriving. We all learn something new everyday.
Ok, thanks.

But in all of Hamilton County 1 out of 4 kids live in poverty. I'm pretty sure I said that already. They can't swing it no matter what sacrifices are made, they are already sacrificing trying to make it to the next paycheck. Everyone needs to quit looking at things from an middle to upper-middle class mindset.
CPS is a failing district right? All students living in the CPS district qualify for a EdChoice Scholarship/Voucher. There you go. That is how it is affordable.
Yep according the metrics that the state sets they are failing. But EdChoice doesn't make it automatically reachable for families, there are too many other variables that people ignore.

Haven't back-read everything so may have missed it: How would you judge academic value?
That's a great question and I guess that's up to each individual's judgement.

I guess a better question would be what academic offerings would make your school unique that others don't offer.

Solid point!!

Ok, thanks.

But in all of Hamilton County 1 out of 4 kids live in poverty. I'm pretty sure I said that already. They can't swing it no matter what sacrifices are made, they are already sacrificing trying to make it to the next paycheck. Everyone needs to quit looking at things from an middle to upper-middle class mindset.

Yep according the metrics that the state sets they are failing. But EdChoice doesn't make it automatically reachable for families, there are too many other variables that people ignore.

I think if more families knew about financial aid and would actually apply, they would be surprised it can be affordable to them. I think many just automatically assume they can't afford the tuition.

You couldn't be more incorrect. I was on the Seton board from the time the new administration came in until a year ago. Things were bleak at first for the current leadership, inheriting a system that was producing freshman enrollment below 90 students. They looked at all areas and produced a plan to upgrade academics, facilities, and yes, enthusiasm. The effort for enthusiasm was immediate and extremely visible, and continues through today. The facilities took a couple of years to plan and fund, but is now complete with individual, specific projects continuing as needed. The board and leadership were united in the program to upgrade the academics. It takes longer and is not as visible to most. Many improvements have been made in many areas of the curriculum and is paying huge dividends in higher scores, more admissions to selective college programs and early college credit classes offered.
Please look deeper before making claims. You may have been correct 6 years ago, but the world is different today.
You beat me to it, and thank you for setting the record straight.

I'm tired of everyone saying Seton "lucked into" their success. Yes, obviously, schools closing and consolidating helped, but the leadership at Seton has done a phenomenal job with executing their vision for the future and they are rightly reaping the rewards.

There is no one doing it better right now. What's disappointing is that I've heard this from Elder supporters. Why can't you give credit where credit is due?

I honestly find it incredible that there are still so many catholic schools afloat. Good for them.

As far as Seton getting more students, which is good for the bottom line, how does the education actually compare to before? Every time you talk to someone about why Seton is great now, you get things about social media, winning radio contests, performances by famous people at the school, and how the lunches are incredible. So it sounds like people are paying big bucks for their daughters to be in the popular school.

Not sure Elder should follow Seton's path.
So far from the truth.

Seton has been purposeful at marketing a strategy where girls feel like they belong. Where they can be themselves and still fit in. Yes, you have your girl drama like at any girl's school. But their leaders and ambassadors make every girl feel like their passion is important, valued and seen. That is very powerful for teenage girls in building confidence as the building block for success once they move on.

I know many girls into very different things at Seton and all of them feel like they are the most important person in their school. I think it's awesome.

I think if more families knew about financial aid and would actually apply, they would be surprised it can be affordable to them. I think many just automatically assume they can't afford the tuition.
Ok, everyone knows there's financial aid. If you live below the poverty line, you cant afford any tuition, that's not an assumption, that is fact. You can't afford to feed your family living below the poverty line and you think those families can afford tuition? Again that's 1 out of 4 kids in Hamilton County. There is nothing left to sacrifice, not everyone can work 2 jobs. These people aren't taking vacations or buying new cars. They are literally worried about survival.

So far from the truth.

Seton has been purposeful at marketing a strategy where girls feel like they belong. Where they can be themselves and still fit in. Yes, you have your girl drama like at any girl's school. But their leaders and ambassadors make every girl feel like their passion is important, valued and seen. That is very powerful for teenage girls in building confidence as the building block for success once they move on.

I know many girls into very different things at Seton and all of them feel like they are the most important person in their school. I think it's awesome.
Can you educate me then on how they specifically do this? Because that would be important for any school to try to implement.

Can you educate me then on how they specifically do this? Because that would be important for any school to try to implement.
The same way any community builds belonging. Spotlighting a variety of activities, highlighting creative differences, recognition for all who achieve, awards, yes, social events that are fun, enthusiasm for your school - there isn't a certain "thing" that sticks out. You could be in dance, music, drama, run track, academic team - it's all treated with the same enthusiasm. Everyone has a place. Of course you want to create an environment that these girls want to come to everyday.

Seton realized that they are competing for dollars. It's not the old days where Seton made the rules, and the families had to comply. Families are now looked at as consumers. You have to attract them. It's not all about fun, but it's about having a great experience while you are being educated. And many things lead to a great experience, not just succeeding in the classroom (albeit very important). It's a different world and today's teenagers are a different breed.

Seton also realizes that they are not built for kids that are going to Harvard or Notre Dame or Stanford. They are providing a positive and fun environment to prepare them likely for regional college life. Yes, there are some that have loftier goals, but that's not their target market. Seton knows their market. You can't just replicate it and have success. It wouldn't work everywhere, and that is a testament to their leaders and their Board. They created this and they deserve a ton of credit.

Last edited:
The same way any community builds belonging. Spotlighting a variety of activities, highlighting creative differences, recognition for all who achieve, awards, yes, social events that are fun, enthusiasm for your school - there isn't a certain "thing" that sticks out. You could be in dance, music, drama, run track, academic team - it's all treated with the same enthusiasm. Everyone has a place. Of course you want to create an environment that these girls want to come to everyday.

Seton realized that they are competing for dollars. It's not the old days where Seton made the rules, and the families had to comply. Families are now looked at as consumers. You have to attract them. It's not all about fun, but it's about having a great experience while you are being educated. And many things lead to a great experience, not just succeeding in the classroom (albeit very important). It's a different world and today's teenagers are a different breed.

Seton also realizes that they are not built for kids that are going to Harvard or Notre Dame or Stanford. They are providing a positive and fun environment to prepare them likely for regional college life. Yes, there are some that have loftier goals, but that's not their target market.

Bravo to bolded! 10+ years ago when I brought this concept up to my kids' (K-8) Principal and Pastor....I was looked at like I had no idea what a Catholic school was about.

Bravo to bolded! 10+ years ago when I brought this concept up to my kids' (K-8) Principal and Pastor....I was looked at like I had no idea what a Catholic school was about.
I hear what you're saying! I do think the President/COO structure absolutely helped shine the light on a new way forward.

Many private Catholic schools are scared to death to sway too far from the spotlight on religion. Like a fun environment is too laid back for a serious religious institution. But I think it enhances it!

Seton also realizes that they are not built for kids that are going to Harvard or Notre Dame or Stanford. They are providing a positive and fun environment to prepare them likely for regional college life. Yes, there are some that have loftier goals, but that's not their target market. Seton knows their market. You can't just replicate it and have success. It wouldn't work everywhere, and that is a testament to their leaders and their Board. They created this and they deserve a ton of credit.
Beautiful answer that actually makes sense. Thank you for not being defensive and actually adding to the conversation. It is appreciated!

You beat me to it, and thank you for setting the record straight.

I'm tired of everyone saying Seton "lucked into" their success. Yes, obviously, schools closing and consolidating helped, but the leadership at Seton has done a phenomenal job with executing their vision for the future and they are rightly reaping the rewards.

There is no one doing it better right now. What's disappointing is that I've heard this from Elder supporters. Why can't you give credit where credit is due?
No, but having your biggest competitor fold is a big deal, especially when you’re comparing Seton’s increase in enrollment vs Elder’s.

Anyway, this isn’t about Seton, they can start their own forum if it’s that important. This is about Elder, not schools adjacent to Elder.

No, but having your biggest competitor fold is a big deal, especially when you’re comparing Seton’s increase in enrollment vs Elder’s.
Why do some Elder people always downplay Seton's success? Based on your posting history, it's almost like you envy what they've done but you just won't admit it.

Why do some Elder people always downplay Seton's success? Based on your posting history, it's almost like you envy what they've done but you just won't admit it.
It’s not a downplay, but ignoring Mercy going under leaves out a lot of context. If LS went under & combined with Bacon, and the LS/Bacon school also struggled, Elder would see a big boost in enrollment too. These are just facts.

Don’t tell me what to do. This is an Elder forum, Seton operates independently from Elder. This is a thread about Elder enrollment.
And it's okay to celebrate other school's successes because, ultimately, it's good for the kids. Especially when that school is literally right next door and has a great amount of family crossover with Elder. Seton's success can and should be a model for Elder to follow. Or should we ONLY care about Elder kids?

And it's okay to celebrate other school's successes because, ultimately, it's good for the kids. Especially when that school is literally right next door and has a great amount of family crossover with Elder. Seton's success can and should be a model for Elder to follow. Or should we ONLY care about Elder kids?
I only care about Elder or how Elder can benefit from another school.

It’s not a downplay, but ignoring Mercy going under leaves out a lot of context. If LS went under & combined with Bacon, and the LS/Bacon school also struggled, Elder would see a big boost in enrollment too. These are just facts.
Who said it wasn't a factor? Sure it helped, but as others have said, choice is more prevalent now than it's ever been, and it's pretty obvious what they are doing is working. You're the one that's unable to admit things here.

They're kicking a**

100%

I can't tell you how many Elder alums that are now Seton dads I've heard talk about how impressed they have been with Seton. It seems the alums with daughters really appreciate it and have taken notice.

I will say that the older crowd and those that don't have a relative that has experienced it always seem to downplay it. I find it very weird that they wouldn't be rooting for Seton's success. Kind of like how you downplay the girl you really liked but never gave you time of day.