Elder Enrollment Strategy

Not sure what Mercy McAuley is up to, but La Salle switching to the president/principal model seems to be an effort to address this. Hopefully we see a Seton-style resurgence although, smaller seems OK to me when I have a kid there 2025-2029. A very small grade school has been excellent as opposed to the overstuffed 30-kid classes we had at Three Rivers in Grades K-1.

Overall, there are just less kids period and these schools need to address the cost. I'd also imagine the St. Ignatius thing has as much to do with Elder grads sending their kids to St. I as anything else.

Have you heard that they are basically putting a cap at around 125 per class going forward? I heard this maybe a year ago from one of my friends who is a LaSalle grad and an Ignatius guy.

Have you heard that they are basically putting a cap at around 125 per class going forward? I heard this maybe a year ago from one of my friends who is a LaSalle grad and an Ignatius guy.
Not surprising. If you're not in growth mode, you have to sell a different story. And that story is a more intimate experience for your students (class size smaller, more attention, more playing time, etc). They have done this with great success at Roger Bacon. Bigger isn't always better.

It's very interesting to watch the tides of the market change every 5 years. It's all about "the experience" now, mimicking the college route.

I have not heard that, no. But I'm not against it. There is a certain advantage to just being who you are and again, with a kid heading that way in a couple years, I really like the idea of being smaller.

I have not heard that, no. But I'm not against it. There is a certain advantage to just being who you are and again, with a kid heading that way in a couple years, I really like the idea of being smaller.
Let’s not pretend this is what LS wants to do. They are being forced to cap at 125 because they have an inferior product compared to X and Elder.
The incoming class for LS currently sits at 75. That a ways off from 125. In 10 years or less there will only be 3 GCL schools.

Let’s not pretend this is what LS wants to do. They are being forced to cap at 125 because they have an inferior product compared to X and Elder.
The incoming class for LS currently sits at 75. That a ways off from 125. In 10 years or less there will only be 3 GCL schools.

75? What is Elder's?

We should probably not pretend we know anything about it. You do not and I do not. I simply said I don't mind it.

At the Centennial dinner they announced that there had been over 23,000 graduates. That makes an average senior class over 100 years as 230. I would love to get up to that number, or better yet 250. It would not get up to the record, which must have peaked in the mid-seventies, but 1,000 total enrollment would be a great number.

I've heard there are a lot of St. Ignatius 8th graders who will be Elder freshmen next year. I'm starting to think of St. Ignatius as much of an Elder feeder as any other westside Catholic school.

I've heard there are a lot of St. Ignatius 8th graders who will be Elder freshmen next year. I'm starting to think of St. Ignatius as much of an Elder feeder as any other westside Catholic school.
23 by my count. 22 going to St. Xavier and 13 going to La Salle.

Any "studs"?

Because that's what's really important.

But in all seriousness, 23 to Elder is very impressive. LaSalle has to be extremely salty about that one. That would be very concerning. They can't survive without Ignatius. I'm sure Omar is doing a dance with this information, because you know, they are the enemy and need to be eliminated.

"They are not friends, they are the competition"!!!!!!

Last edited:
I saw in "The Pride" that Elder will have 213 freshman in the class of 2027 from 33 different schools all over the city.

This includes 15 from Oak Hills' feeder schools, 3 from Harrison, and 3 from Taylor. Interesting that St Dominic (20) will send more to Elder than Jude, Antoninus, Lourdes, or even Victory.

At first glance... 30+ from Visitation, St Bernard (7), St Ignatius (22), St James (6), St John Dry Ridge (2), St John Harrison (2), St Martin, Walnut, West Clermont, Villa Madona, Summit, St Thomas More, St Margaret of York.

Nice job to all involved!

Last edited:
St John Dry Ridge (2)
I saw on Facebook last week that St. John Dry Ridge posted photos of where their eighth grade class will attend high school. As noted, Elder had 2, Moeller and St. Xavier had 1 each and La Salle had about 10-12. I don't remember the numbers, but I think Seton had 2x the number going to Mercy McAuley.

I saw in "The Pride" that Elder will have 213 freshman in the class of 2027 from 33 different schools all over the city.

This includes 15 from Oak Hills' feeder schools, 3 from Harrison, and 3 from Taylor. Interesting that St Dominic (20) will send more to Elder than Jude, Antoninus, Lourdes, or even Victory.

At first glance... 30+ from visitation, St Bernard (7), St Ignatius (22), St James (6), St John Dry Ridge (2), St John Harrison (2), St Martin, Walnut, West Clermont, Villa Madona, Summit, St Thomas More, St Margaret of York.

6 from St. James is a trend Lasalle cannot like. St. Ignatius was sort of anticipated with the number of Elder grads with school there. St. Bernard at 7 is surprising with that being such a small school.

Overall, nothing very surprising except James, Bernard, and Dominic with a larger than normal amount of boys.

It's more of a status quo situation which is "fine".

At first glance... 30+ from visitation, St Bernard (7), St Ignatius (22), St James (6), St John Dry Ridge (2), St John Harrison (2), St Martin, Walnut, West Clermont, Villa Madona, Summit, St Thomas More, St Margaret of York.

I have to somewhat disagree in that this is hardly a diverse group of schools. 213 is about par for the course the last few years. Good job keeping things afloat, but this was a single or double not a home run. It's also not a strikeout which is good if status quo is the goal.

That's my whole point about broadening scope to get more athletes. They don't do it, and never will.

So stop saying the level of athlete isn't good enough.

It's 100% obvious through their enrollment numbers every year, yet everyone continues to say how they need to expand their athletic footprint. It's never going to happen.

Like I said, those roster spots are spoken for.

That's my whole point about broadening scope to get more athletes. They don't do it, and never will.

So stop saying the level of athlete isn't good enough.

It's 100% obvious through their enrollment numbers every year, yet everyone continues to say how they need to expand their athletic footprint. It's never going to happen.

Like I said, those roster spots are spoken for.
Mooooooooooooooooove those goal posts, Trey! They're not athletes. 😂

I have to somewhat disagree in that this is hardly a diverse group of schools. 213 is about par for the course the last few years. Good job keeping things afloat, but this was a single or double not a home run. It's also not a strikeout which is good if status quo is the goal.
Isn’t this year’s graduating class around 180. How is this not a home run. We are trending towards 850 students. Heard last night the next area of focus is the Hyde Park area. Don’t know about potential athletes but this is an Enrollment Strategy site. FYI- Moeller caps at 880 I am told.

Isn’t this year’s graduating class around 180. How is this not a home run. We are trending towards 850 students. Heard last night the next area of focus is the Hyde Park area. Don’t know about potential athletes but this is an Enrollment Strategy site. FYI- Moeller caps at 880 I am told.

It's a solid C or low B. I don't know what Elder's cap is, but 225 would be a solid number. More diversity would also bring this up to an A.