Elder Basketball 2022-2023

They have been solid and always play hard and well coached. I see their ceiling as a District runner up.
Is that the round held at Dayton? I guess that would be the final 32?

If they are to reach their ceiling, they need Johnson to step up and be a more consistent scorer.

They’ll have 2 if Boeing decides to play. I think he’s doing the Football camp circuit right now.
He has some size, but not sure he's your prototypical basketball player. You said all last year he was going to play varsity and didn't. And the JV team he was on wasn't very good. Even if he plays, he's not more than a role player to give Johnson a rest.

There are going to have to be other kids that get better and contribute for this team to be successful. They seemed to have had a good June, so maybe they've been working since season's end.

i've read through all of these and i don't really care what any of you say. You guys all saying that we don't have the team to make a toruney run and Omar saying "They won't make it past Dayton." We know what we got and this team has grit. I can't wait til we make it past Dayton and prove all you wrong and you'll all eat your words. None of you better celebrate our success when we do what you guys said we can't do all season.
Well said. Another Omar prediction obliterated.

But we didn’t make it past Dayton
He was referring to Districts (in Dayton). Elder won Districts. They lost in the Regional semis, which was a great accomplishment for that team. I believe Elder only has two regional appearances since like 2005 or something like that. It's the furthest an Elder team has gotten in the last 15 years or so (the other being in 2021 if I'm not mistaken) - both losses were to Centerville, who won the whole thing in 2021 and lost in the Final Four in 2023.

Elder was right there both years, but Omar blasted the 2023 team all year, in typical Omar fashion. He blasted a team that made it the furthest in the tournament of any team in 15 years. Make that make sense. All because they had no "studs".

Last edited:
He was referring to Districts (in Dayton). Elder won Districts. They lost in the Regional semis, which was a great accomplishment for that team. I believe Elder only has two regional appearances since like 2005 or something like that. It's the furthest an Elder team has gotten in the last 15 years or so (the other being in 2021 if I'm not mistaken) - both losses were to Centerville, who won the whole thing in 2021 and lost in the Final Four in 2023.

Elder was right there both years, but Omar blasted the 2023 team all year, in typical Omar fashion. He blasted a team that made it the furthest in the tournament of any team in 15 years. Make that make sense. All because they had no "studs".
4 kids on that team that will play in college. How is that no studs and overlooked?

4 kids on that team that will play in college. How is that no studs and overlooked?
Just look back at the threads. Very few thought they'd do what they did because they didn't have the big names coming in.

In fact, some said they were early rounds exits.

Why does this bother you so much about this team? The teams prior to them got ALL of the attention because of the big name studs that dominated grade school. That's 100% the truth. They didn't perform up to that standard. This team over-achieved.

Because I don’t think anyone overlooked them. They just weren’t as deep as the two prior years.
I don’t get how a team with 4 college kids are overlooked?

Because I don’t think anyone overlooked them. They just weren’t as deep as the two prior years.
I don’t get how a team with 4 college kids are overlooked?
I agree, how did they not have the same buzz as the chosen ones? Hmm, maybe because everyone was so focused on the class ahead of them and didn't realize what they had because these were kids THAT DEVELOPED AT THE HIGH SCHOOL level, and weren't crowned before they even stepped foot to Elder. This forum lives off of the grade school accolades.

These players went further as a team and as individuals, and to say there was the same level of expectations and buzz around them is laughable. And the team in the prior year wasn't even deeper, what are you talking about. They heavily relied on 2 guys on offense and didn't have near the toughness or togetherness as this year's team. They were better in every regard except shooting.

Browne and Whitmer were the 3rd and 4th leading scorers that year. They were way better than the 3rd and 4th guys this year. That’s deeper.

Browne and Whitmer were the 3rd and 4th leading scorers that year. They were way better than the 3rd and 4th guys this year. That’s deeper.
The 3rd and 4th guys are playing in college, unlike anyone on the chosen team. Based on your logic with 4 college level players, how is that not deeper? Again, I'm just using your own logic to prove the point.

In the post above, you said how were they overlooked with 4 college players, yet in the next post, say those kids weren't as good. WTF?????

Even after not going as far, and even after none of those kids played in college, you will still say those kids and team were better. Because, like I said, there was tremendous bias to that class because of the buzz they had coming out of grade school where there was domination by two schools because kids were older and more physically mature.

You are literally proving my point.

You said that this year's team couldn't be overlooked because they have 4 kids that will play in college, which is true.

But then said Whitmer and Browne "were way better than the 3rd and 4th guys this year" - those 3rd and 4th guys are the guys that are the ones going to play in college. I'm talking about their 4 best players, not the kids that played the most.

So if this year's team had 4 kids playing in college, and last year's team only had two, how is last year's team deeper using your logic?

And this year's team was way deeper 1-12. Their 8, 9, 10 and 11 were way better than the prior year. There were kids on the bench that were excellent shooters that rarely even played.

Last edited: