Elder Basketball 2022-2023

Fairmont is the worst team left in the final 8 in SWO. It’s why Elder chose this bracket and Sycamore did too. Elder survived the war with Sycamore and they get a week off and then a team they beat by 14 in the regular season. Best thing Fairmont does is shoot the 3, and Elder was just successful running Sycamore off the 3-pt line and can do the same against Fairmont.
The Elder vs Fairmont game in the regular season was a weird game. Elder was up by 20 in the 3rd qtr and Fairmont cut it to 5 late in the game. Fairmont got hot and hit like 5 3s in a few a minutes.

Last edited:
Elder’s overall FG % last night: 53%

Elder’s FT%: 50%

This team has been decent w/ FTs most of the yr, but in certain games the missed FTs become contagious and almost cost them the game.

Elder’s overall FG % last night: 53%

Elder’s FT%: 50%

This team has been decent w/ FTs most of the yr, but in certain games the missed FTs become contagious and almost cost them the game.
Missed crucial front end of one and ones in last 3 minutes

I thought there were 15 teams that could win the regional? There’s been basically zero upsets so far.
15 seed lost by 1 vs Moe in Sectional final
16 seed played in Sectional final
7 seed Anderson makes District
Sycamore/Elder went as planned
11 seed X upset Turpin to make Sectional final

not like it was chalk. I also said this was a year where it COULD happen not that it would.

Correct.

Anderson vs. Centerville
Elder vs. Fairmont

Fairfield vs. Wayne
Princeton vs. Moeller
This draw is why Elder (and Sycamore) both chose the same spot when the brackets were released.

Elder should beat Fairmont (while avoiding Wayne, Princeton, FF, and Moe).

Centerville is beatable. Not saying Elder can do it, but the Elks are not as good as they were last year.

Either way, if Elder beats Fairmont, Elder will have had a great year and completely met expectations.

15 seed lost by 1 vs Moe in Sectional final
16 seed played in Sectional final
7 seed Anderson makes District
Sycamore/Elder went as planned
11 seed X upset Turpin to make Sectional final

not like it was chalk. I also said this was a year where it COULD happen not that it would.
And the Reds could make the World Series.

This draw is why Elder (and Sycamore) both chose the same spot when the brackets were released.

Centerville is beatable. Not saying Elder can do it, but the Elks are not as good as they were last year.

Either way, if Elder beats Fairmont, Elder will have had a great year and completely met expectations.
Agree. As I said a couple weeks ago, this senior class deserves some deeper recognition. In both football and basketball, they have been the epitome of what Elder strives for in their teams. Great team play where everyone plays for each other and they use the collective unit to be significantly stronger than any one player.

This class should be getting more respect. Deeper runs in both basketball, football, and maybe even baseball than other classes that had way more name recognition. As I mentioned, reminds me of 2021 class. Both were sandwiched between 2 high profile name classes, and both had far more overall success.

Last edited:
I disagree I think they have been respected all along. And we have two D2 or better college players on the basketball team. I don’t think that’s been overlooked. None of the other GCL teams have that in a senior class. None of our tournament opponents have had that so far.

I don't like to compare classes and I really don't like to classify one group as high-profile or having name recognition. All that matters is results.

Elder measures its teams on 1. How they did in the GCL? 2. How did they perform in the state playoffs? That's really all anyone cares about.

I disagree I think they have been respected all along. And we have two D2 or better college players on the basketball team. I don’t think that’s been overlooked. None of the other GCL teams have that in a senior class. None of our tournament opponents have had that so far.
Gonna have to disagree with your disagreement. There were people in this forum calling for state championships and multiple D1 athletes in the 2019 and 2022 classes. Neither came close to fruition. You can't deny both classes had alums thinking big, big things.

2021 and 2023 had better success and kids go D1 and D2 (Larkins, Kandra, Nieman, Re, Royer, Lemasters, Shoster, Miller, Whitmer, Browne - I'm sure I'm missing some), with zero expectations of that at the beginning. Not even close to the same level of expectations. They flat out outperformed them individually and collectively.

Last edited:
I don't like to compare classes and I really don't like to classify one group as high-profile or having name recognition. All that matters is results.

Elder measures its teams on 1. How they did in the GCL? 2. How did they perform in the state playoffs? That's really all anyone cares about.
I agree. I don't like it either, but it definitely happened in this case.

The 2023s were an after-thought. There was a ton of publicity around the 2019s and the 2022s and they didn't deliver.

Gonna have to disagree with your disagreement. There were people in this forum calling for state championships and multiple D1 athletes in the 2019 and 2022 classes. Neither came to fruition. You can't deny both classes had alums thinking big, big things.

2021 and 2023 had better success and kids go D1 and D2 (Larkins, Kandra, Nieman, Re, Royer, Lemasters, Shoster, Miller, Whitmer, Browne - I'm sure I'm missing some), with zero expectations of that at the beginning. Not even close to the same level of expectations.
On the whole I agree with you, but Royer isn't a great example. He was one of those studs that everyone knew. His size and ability to catch basically anything in his vicinity meant he was going to play D1 football. Now he worked his tail off and absolutely earned that scholarship to Ohio State, and played in the CFP Semifinals this year for the Buckeyes.

Some of the others listed weren't nobodies, but they didn't arrive to Elder with the hype off their grade school days like some of the others in those classes you mentioned.

I've really enjoyed watching them play football and basketball this year. I will also be a baseball fan for the same reasons. Putting their doubters to bed while doing it as a unit. No stars, no studs, just kids battling for each other and their school. And the kids cheering for them seem eager and happy for their success. Not sure we saw that last year.

I also find it strange that Omar thinks there is no one on the staff that could replace Shoenfeld.

They have 4 capable varsity assistants sitting on the bench every game. It may be one of the best coaching staffs in the city.

Schoenfeld has been around forever and has a state title (and almost 2)
Whitmer is a state champ and knows what it takes to win it
Murphy played college basketball and has grown a great deal as an assistant coach. He could be a head coach somewhere
Schenke played college basketball and knows the game and was a winner at Elder
Harp will be a hot commodity I bet at some point, and could have played college basketball

Gonna have to disagree with your disagreement. There were people in this forum calling for state championships and multiple D1 athletes in the 2019 and 2022 classes. Neither came close to fruition. You can't deny both classes had alums thinking big, big things.

2021 and 2023 had better success and kids go D1 and D2 (Larkins, Kandra, Nieman, Re, Royer, Lemasters, Shoster, Miller, Whitmer, Browne - I'm sure I'm missing some), with zero expectations of that at the beginning. Not even close to the same level of expectations. They flat out outperformed them individually and collectively.
On this note, what’s the deal/status of Browne and college opportunities?

I've really enjoyed watching them play football and basketball this year. I will also be a baseball fan for the same reasons. Putting their doubters to bed while doing it as a unit. No stars, no studs, just kids battling for each other and their school. And the kids cheering for them seem eager and happy for their success. Not sure we saw that last year.
In baseball they do have a "star" in Luke Vaughn who has signed with Alabama. I am assuming that Hilton will sign somewhere as well, along with a host of others who will play at the mt st joe/thomas more level.

On this note, what’s the deal/status of Browne and college opportunities?
To me it seems like a Nku/Miami/mac would be a great fit. He has decent handles for a kid his size, a better than average outside game, good rebounder. He will have to work on his post moves at the next level. He is a D1 player.

If centerville is beatable, then Elder can do it. Your point is they probably won’t do it.

What’s wrong with having stars? I hate this moronic idea that Elder doesn’t have talented players. They’re not a bunch of hardworking average joes getting by on grit, they have talent.

Last edited:
In baseball they do have a "star" in Luke Vaughn who has signed with Alabama. I am assuming that Hilton will sign somewhere as well, along with a host of others who will play at the mt st joe/thomas more level.
Vaughn may very well be drafted.

What’s wrong with having stars? I hate this moronic idea that Elder doesn’t have talented players. They’re not a bunch of hardworking average joes getting by on grit, they have talent.
I never said they didn't have talent, I said they don't have an over-emphasis on any one player. They are a collection of talent where different skills complement winning. That's a TEAM!

Yes, Browne and Whitmer are the leaders, but everyone contributes at a high level to their role. It does show that collective talent can be better than individual talent. The don't have any D1 signees and can absolutely make a run with the team they have.

At the same time, does Elder's basketball teams really ever have "stars"? It's not like they're rolling out D1 signees all the time. It has to be the way they win. Outside of Ryan Custer, has there been another D1 signee in the last 10 years?

Last edited:
I never said they didn't have talent, I said they don't have an over-emphasis on any one player. They are a collection of talent where different skills complement winning. That's a TEAM!

Yes, Browne and Whitmer are the leaders, but everyone contributes at a high level to their role. It does show that collective talent can be better than individual talent. The don't have any D1 signees and can absolutely make a run with the team they have.
Browne is a D1 player. They also have D1 players in football. There’s nothing wrong with having star players.

Does Elder have a player anyone would consider a "star"? That level of talent just isn't on the team. But a collection of very good players can make up for that, and that's where they are.