Eastern Conference Finals- Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Boston Celtics

What's the eventual result in the Eastern Conference Finals?

• Cavs in 4

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Cavs in 5

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Cavs in 6

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Cavs in 7

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Celtics in 7

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Celtics in 6

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters
It is irrelevant after the fact, especially since the competitive dynamic of the series changed when Thomas went down for the series. At that point, no one expected anything but a Cav sweep. :shrug:

That line-up change turned out to be the best thing for Boston. The Cavs were prepared to defend a ball-dominant fidget. Boston is far better defensively without him, and it should have been obvious that they would be.

And that's^ wrong.

The C's will play far better today without Thomas in the line-up.

Last edited:
I think which ever team's defense gives up the least amount of points will win. But to each their own.

I'm thinking you mostly meant to be funny here, but the difference is at the heart of this comment. Not many transition points in the second half of #3 and the first half of #4 at all, huh ?

Lebron's played the first three halves of the two home games like someone who's been up half the night fighting with his wife or something. I have to wonder if someone texted her pics of him with some broad in Boston.... Or maybe one of his kids is in trouble and it's stressing home life ?

He also seems stubborn enough that if he and Lue differed over how to change the game plan after Thomas left the Boston lineup, he could easily let a game go because he knows they can't lose 3 more. If that possibility came up in media conversation, CA would be all over this thread :D

Because NBA awards have nothing to do with who actually deserves the awards, it has everything to do with media driven popularity.

Pretty simple really. Obviously James Harden and Westbrook had much better seasons. Everyone else had relatively similar seasons, except John Wall's assists numbers. Below compares Steph, IT, DeMar, Kyrie and Wall. The biggest argument against Kyrie is his defensive rating was the worst, tied with IT. Plus for IT is he led his team and had an unreal offensive output. Given the context, ie its a regular season award, it's not that crazy Kyrie was left off. You could argue any of those 5 over the others. I really have no idea why the whole "it's a regular season award" concept is so difficult for you. Most middle school kids grasp it.

http://www.basketball-reference.com...+Wall&y5=2017&player_id5=walljo01&idx=players

Kyrie had an incredible 3rd quarter. Good thing LBJ got his game back in the 2nd half, too. He looked totally lost again in the first half, so bizarre.

A quick aside from the basketball aspect: Yesterday JR Smith's daughter was released from the hospital after a premature birth 5 months ago. After the game, media members went to JR's locker when Kyrie told them JR had already left. "Swish left. Sprinted him to see his daughter."

Oh and LeBron needs 28 points to pass Jordan for #1 all time playoff scoring.

So where do you go if you're the Celtics? They were the #1 seed this year in the east, but they also were non-competitive in 3 of the 5 games of the Cavs series. Bad part is, I don't know that they could have played much better than they did. They can make 3's when they get hot, but they don't really have an inside game, and they don't play team defense very well, with or without Thomas.

I think they are further away than most think. Now I'll also say I think the Cavs are playing above their heads somewhat. They simply are not that good. They have two really good players, and some good role players, but in the east, that's all you need.

The Cavs are better than just 2 really good players and the rest good role players. I do agree they are playing somewhat over their heads.

Kyrie hasn't played to the level he did in the Finals last year, not that he's playing bad. The one guy who is the X factor going into the Finals is Kevin Love. He looks like Minnesota/UCLA Kevin Love damn near getting 20-15 a night. He will be pressured more against GS on the defensive end, but if the Big 3 is getting 90-100 themselves the Warriors are in trouble.

Now the Celtics should just grab as much youth as possible. If their not sold on Fultz, trade the pick for a 1st this year and next year. Stock pile picks, get as young as possible and try to challenge LeBron (wherever he is) 4-5 years down the line.

So where do you go if you're the Celtics? They were the #1 seed this year in the east, but they also were non-competitive in 3 of the 5 games of the Cavs series. Bad part is, I don't know that they could have played much better than they did. They can make 3's when they get hot, but they don't really have an inside game, and they don't play team defense very well, with or without Thomas.

I think they are further away than most think. Now I'll also say I think the Cavs are playing above their heads somewhat. They simply are not that good. They have two really good players, and some good role players, but in the east, that's all you need.

Well they went to the conference finals and may very well add Hayward and the #1 overall pick to their existing team while the Cavs continue to get older. They also have the best young coach in the league and Brooklyn's 1st pick next year which could be #1 overall.

So to answer your question, I think where they go from here is being a year in, year out finals contender for the next decade.