Duke University volleyball player claims she had racial slurs hurled at her during a game against BYU

the_big_toe

Has anyone seen this story? Is this another hoax? Apparently no one else has stepped forward to corroborate her claims. The police officer they stationed at the student section didn’t hear any slurs (at a time where she says that the slurs were being yelled).

Does Duke have a race problem?

"She was threatened by a white male that told her to watch her back going to the team bus,"
That's not necessarily race-motivated, but it does imply threat and I think we all would be fine with not tolerating that.

The article says the police officer was placed over there AFTER the heckling began. It also says the person identified was not a BYU student but was in the student section.

Has anyone seen this story? Is this another hoax? Apparently no one else has stepped forward to corroborate her claims. The police officer they stationed at the student section didn’t hear any slurs (at a time where she says that the slurs were being yelled).

Does Duke have a race problem?
Do you mean to ask whether BYU has a race problem?

I heard Steven A. Smith yelling about this on one of those ESPN shows. So here's my problem. The article says there was 5,500 in attendance that's a lot of people and probably a mixture from both colleges and maybe some who didn't really care but just wanted to watch a good volleyball match and also security and this article leads you to believe nobody including the girls who were target of the racial slurs did or said nothing except mention it to the coaches? Something doesn't seem right at this time. It's been told that you could hear it through out the building also so I'll wait till the real story comes out.

Interestingly, the person targeted by Duke as the perpetrator is mentally challenged.

Duke volleyball player's racial slur allegation receives pushback from witnesses

Witnesses have reportedly come forward saying no racial slurs were heard during the BYU-Duke women’s volleyball match last Friday, in which Duke’s Rachel Richardson, the only Black starter for the Blue Devils, said she was heckled throughout "the entirety of the match."

Richardson said in a statement that BYU officials were not quick enough to address the situation upon the initial grievance from the Duke bench. BYU noted that the fan, who the Salt Lake Tribune said was a Utah Valley University student sitting in the student section, was banned from all athletic venues on campus.

I heard Steven A. Smith yelling about this on one of those ESPN shows. So here's my problem. The article says there was 5,500 in attendance that's a lot of people and probably a mixture from both colleges and maybe some who didn't really care but just wanted to watch a good volleyball match and also security and this article leads you to believe nobody including the girls who were target of the racial slurs did or said nothing except mention it to the coaches? Something doesn't seem right at this time. It's been told that you could hear it through out the building also so I'll wait till the real story comes out.
It's the bystander effect. It essentially suggests that because there were so many people present, others are reluctant to intervene.

That's not necessarily race-motivated, but it does imply threat and I think we all would be fine with not tolerating that.

The article says the police officer was placed over there AFTER the heckling began. It also says the person identified was not a BYU student but was in the student section.
The racial slurs are alleged to have been happening all game. Specifically coming from the student section. Specifically as Rachel was serving. Rachel served four times in front of the student section. Twice in game two and twice in game four. The officer was over by the student section for all of game four. It has also been reported that the officer inquired of several students in that section. No one has come forward to corroborate her story yet - not even her own teammates, at least not yet. I would love to hear if any journalist has reached out to Rachel’s teammates that were in close proximity to see if they could corroborate her claims.n

It's the bystander effect. It essentially suggests that because there were so many people present, others are reluctant to intervene.
Not sure if the bystander effect would prevent others from recording some person hurling racial slurs at a black female athlete. In today’s “everything is recorded and put on the internet” culture, I find it hard to believe that a bunch of young college students wouldn’t have tried to catch this on video. Perhaps not the first occurrence, as it would have taken them by surprise. Perhaps not even the second. But according to Rachel, this was going on loudly all game.
I have watched the available video of the game and I could not hear what she says she distinctly heard.

Ok but there's a at least one game official that had the authority to have anybody removed. So she didn't feel the need to intervene?

It’s likely a hoax. BYU watched tape of the game and saw/heard nothing. One one in an audience of 5000 reported anything. No cellphone happy college student have video of anything. Apparently also the players aunt who is running for judge in Tarrant Co. Texas (Ft Worth) has a history of tweets, social media, that are racially charged. So she is instigating this situation. More than likely Smollet2.0 . There are plenty of articles on line and video clips that point to this story being BS.

Last edited:
It’s likely a hoax. BYU watched tape of the game and saw/heard nothing. One one in an audience of 5000 reported anything. No cellphone happy college student have video of anything. Apparently also the players aunt who is running for judge in Tarrant Co. Texas (Ft Worth) has a history of tweets, social media, demeaning the white man. So she is instigating this situation. More than likely Smollet2.0
Not likely, it is a hoax 100%.. Jessie Smolett again.
The so called “aunt” of the Duke player in question is a know race grifter.
Identity politics 101 is all that is being promoted.

I was wondering when some one would bring this uo..
Look into the Black Menaces from BYU.
Just another small group of race baiters and agitators who are using social media to advance their racist agenda.

Notice how this Black Menaces group decries how small a minority they are at BYU..
Well guess what you can leave the State of Utah and BYU if it is too White for you.
Why dont they? Because they are political hacks who know no one will call them out on their BS at BYU.
At a Black College they would have zero to do but go to school and be an absolute nobody

Last edited:
I see that South Carolina has already cancelled their match with BYU. It’s really disheartening how these institutions and organizations react.
No attempt at all to get at the truth. Race baiters the whole bunch. Has Slo Joe stepped in it yet?

edit: it was SC basketball that cancelled home/ away

Last edited:
It may not have happened exactly like she said but so you all know, a white male rooting against a black person on the other team is white supremacy. If he is wearing a red hat while doing so it is the same as lynching and the greatest threat to our nation since the civil war.

This is likely a situation where the media is trying to slander mormons.

BYU is subject to a lot of prejudice by players, fans and the media due to hatred against polygamy. LGBTQIA+ needs a new letter to include polygamy.

This is likely a situation where the media is trying to slander mormons.

BYU is subject to a lot of prejudice by players, fans and the media due to hatred against polygamy. LGBTQIA+ needs a new letter to include polygamy.
Well there’s no P yet. I say go for it.

I hadn’t thought about the polygamy angle. Shouldn’t the Libs and Media be all in on that? After all it’s a lifestyle choice. Who’s business is it what a person wants to do? Where’s the consistency? So they are saying there is a line in the sand and goodness three wives?? That’s unacceptable but let’s cut of a 10 yr olds weenie.

Interestingly, the person targeted by Duke as the perpetrator is mentally challenged.

Duke volleyball player's racial slur allegation receives pushback from witnesses

I wonder if any former Duke lacrosse players have passed the bar yet ? I'd love to see one of those young men represent the plaintiff in a defamation case against Duke. lol

It may not have happened exactly like she said but so you all know, a white male rooting against a black person on the other team is white supremacy. If he is wearing a red hat while doing so it is the same as lynching and the greatest threat to our nation since the civil war.
Exactly.

This may have been nothing more than a ploy to cow opponents' supporters. I have a hard time worrying about mere words or insults, anyway.

We are fine with professional defamation, but we agonize over .....feelings...? Weak sauce.

Hopefully you are responding to the Duke players whining. Because if you are talking about the alleged incident everyone should care. It goes to the heart of the racial divide in America and some people think it’s cool to stoke the flames.
The "Battle" has become more about the Left and their media partners trying to increase sensitivity - essentially weakness. The Demarxists have a bountiful recent history of lying, and working hard to create a market for BLACK racism. Much more so than in ferreting out LEGIT WHITE racism. From Tawana Brawley, to miles of fake graffiti actually written by blacks, to Smollet.

The Left's "demand" for racist white people is far greater than the actual "supply". So, they lie. Why haven't you noticed this fact ? There is going to be more "stoking". People are making bank off of these lies, whether in settlements, hand-outs, or web clicks. Some of them will never give up. Like Stacey Abrams

Last edited:
Well there’s no P yet. I say go for it.

I hadn’t thought about the polygamy angle. Shouldn’t the Libs and Media be all in on that? After all it’s a lifestyle choice. Who’s business is it what a person wants to do? Where’s the consistency? So they are saying there is a line in the sand and goodness three wives?? That’s unacceptable but let’s cut of a 10 yr olds weenie.
OBCDEFG likes to be mildly outrageous when he gets bored. Please, make a note of this.

And I agree. Leave the weenies alone and the hormones natural from within the child's system only, without medical manipulation.

Last edited:
I'm not going to accuse someone of making up what they heard. I'm also not going to discount they have been conditioned to hear something or the brain honestly misinterpreted. The electronic witnessing is too prevalent to just presume they heard and interpreted correctly. If the player wants to be honest and her advising is wise, she should acknowledge that could be the case and put this to rest.

As for Staley, smh. There's a respect I had, just fell a few octaves.

so now Dawn Staley, the HC of south Carolina womens Basketball team is refusing to play BYU because of the FALSE allegations.....

and BYU is also getting rid of the student cheering section at the Volleyball games because of the FALSE allegations.......

the boy said HIT IT IN THE NET-------- WHILE SHE WAS SERVING.......... WHICH IS A CHANT SAID AT VOLLEY BALL GAMES.....