Dublin Coffman Rocks 2020

Two key running backs played . But they are still missing two LB's and one is a key 2 way player who makes the calls and gets players set on the defense, huge loss.

Great to see Anderson (TB) back, he is small but brings, big play capability,
What’s the status of them ? As tough a day as they had against the run and short passing game in terms of tackling I realized they were missing folks . Any info on a return date

Last edited:
The lack of run support we saw in the Tangy scrimmage would have been better if a couple guys who were out had played . No question. Hope they can come back at some point because depth is not a strength this year. Hope that AHM's musing that hurt kids might not be coming back is not going to be the reality . Warsaw is a running team . They did lose a lot of talent as well and I am sure Coffman 2020 beats them comfortably. I figured this game would be very competitive from the footage I've seen of their team last year and projecting this year after losing good talent. But if key run stoppers and playmakers are out for Coffman ? On the road traveling further than any Coffman team I can remember has before? Game one of a new coaching regime ? Issues stopping the run going against a run mostly team [Some option stuff which you don't see much now?} .

PC fans seem to really think Liberty is good this year. I thought they may take a step back this year . They lost to Coffman and very well could have lost to UA { goal line stand } last year in a 6 game regular season . Played great for the second time in 3 years to oust Coffman last year with the Rocks fumbling inside the 15 yard line down 18-15 with a minute left. . Got handled easily by Springfield the next week a team that Coffman actually matched up better with but Liberty just outcoached and out played the Rocks in the rematch and got the win. They have a culture that features BIG , STRONG Lineman , and athletic enough skill kids who are coached up and coached well . Their QB's get time to throw which helps turn average to slightly above average kids into very good efficient High School QB's . [No D-1 QB's even 1-AA but some D-1 Athletes [Baseball } }

Their defense is always greater than the sum of their parts . Individual talent isn't always there in terms of D-1 or even 1-AA level talent but the UNIT is usually an above average to very solid unit that makes you beat them . Don't give you much . So may be I was wrong about them taking a bit of a step back this year. Still think UA might be the best team in the conference , BUT may be Liberty will be strong enough up front to beat the Bears again ? UA hasn't won a league title in a long time . I thought this was their year and it still very well could be but Liberty is so consistently solid up front they always give themselves a chance . Coffman will need as many guys healthy as possible as has bene mentioned here. Unfortunate that a couple key guys on defense are out . Type of year they could least afford it . Might be the longest year since 2000. Offense is going to have to score. A LOT .

I think they have some potential , BUT they won't be explosive enough to win shootouts. If the team loses key kids and can't stay healthy and the presently now injured kids can't or won't be back? Every game will a challenge . EVERY game . 20 year run of winning at least 6 games { Only happened ONCE have averaged about 8 reg. season wins a year over Crabtree's tenure} seems destined to end this year. It won't be the new coaching staff's fault. It is disappointing to see turnover even now as has been reported. I have written extensively about era's ending and how that happens and the inevitability of it . Transitions and change is hard . This one especially . If the Crabtree staff was in place fully , or Crager got the job , I believe a handful of kids would have not quit the team. That is seen in many High school sports , both girls and boys when a new staff comes in later in kids careers . Just the way it is . For any coach , the starting point of where a program is , is a big factor in his chances for success early on . Stokes took this job after a 20 year run of success of the former staff. Brian White left Davidson at the time he did for a reason . So did Crabtree . We saw what happened in Hilliard last year . We see the amount of a rebuild this is on Coffman road . The talent drop-off is large. It happens in successful programs all over the country.

The notion that the kids didn't put the time in and work at it really hard under Crabtree and Crager is a myth. You telling me that guys like Russell Threats , Williams, Warnsman ,and even D-1 kicker Magyar didn't put a ton of time into becoming the players they became? That is just the D-1 kids , but kids like QB Mathews , LB's Morris and Davis weren't overachievers to an extent? There was optimism coming from the Coffman camp over the last say 6 weeks. That has dissipated . Injury's, staff turnover , bumpy transition . Strong coaching personality's , big changes in the operation of the program . Kids not feeling connected to the new 'program" , not feeling that the season holds a great opportunity for winning at the usual level lessening desire ? Push comes to shove , hurt body's weighing whether to battle and do the work to come back or just bowing out to concentrate on what is a special program in another sport?

I opined that I saw a 2-3 year rebuild . Stokes wants to settle a bit after never leaving Urbana and commuting to Minster . Wasn't immersed in that community by some accounts . He was the kind of strong willed rock star level coach who had special success and elevated the program . But he was still a bit of an 'outsider"? He knows Dublin is a great community to settle down in and raise a family. Columbus is a nearby cool city that has a lot to offer his family. He wants this to work. He knows it's a big challenge . He admitted to feeling a bit of fear of taking it which he and many know is a ';good thing" because it is taking you out of your comfort zone and will force growth.

I would love for him to have the same type of talent level that has been present here for the last 2 decades . This will be a 3-5 year process of setting down roots, establishing a culture that will be sustainable model for success and then excellence . Talent levels will ebb and flow and hopefully he stays long enough to have the cycle trend upward again .

I really believe that to have the rebuild be as short as possible and to continue with the level of success that the program has had over the last 20 years with as short of a down period as possible , the staff has to rebuild the program from 7th grade on. Get everyone on the same page , be a presence at the lower levels when possible , not coaching them but meeting with them a couple times a year to let the younger kids they are going to be part of something special . Something good . They are important to the future success of the program and sustaining it. Stop by and watch small parts of practice if possible, catch a half hour of a late afternoon of a MS game with Rocks gear on . Kids like to feel what they are doing is important. Means something .

Being a part of something bigger than themselves . A part of something good. I can still remember how we felt when we say Varsity and JV coaches present periodically at our practices and parts of a few games . The appearances at Elementary school ,speaking at the youth awards banquets , the High school captains sitting at the front of the room , they were the big shots, the kids we wanted to be in a few years . They were like God's to us .

He was building a 'program'. These types of gestures mattered . It helped keep a few kids here and there from going to one of the Catholic or Private schools some of the kids in the community went to. Big youth football play-off like games you would see some HS coaches present if even for 20 minutes . The captains came to the Junior High's and spoke , so did the HC and his top assistants . The transition and changes can slow momentum . Sometimes to a halt . You can have one subpar season , and may be a mediocre second season, but if you don't show progress after that ? It can morph into a longer stretch of mediocrity. Then the new coach leaves after a few years and the struggle continues and you have to start over. Being a part of the program has to mean something . Kids want to feel that there is some expectation and also interest in what they are doing.

Bo Schembechler kind of coined the phrase " Those who stay will be champions " If you can get as many young kids thinking this and feeling it as possible your chances for sustainable success grow . Freshman numbers look pretty good ? Hopefully Coach Stokes stays here and rebuilds this in the next few years and things are firmly in place for sustainable success and then excellence . Going to take a ,lot of work , staff has to be solidified and continuity developed . Speaking of Staff's , see that Upper Arlington has a couple former Rocks coaches on their staff and a former player Austen Rankin who is an excellent skills development coach [Bo Jackson Elite sports } who started his own business and trained many good college players and local HS kids . He was a receiver at Coffman , played a little DB , from 2010-2012 . He coached at Coffman briefly [2015-2016} and will really help the UA skill kids with their skills, footwork and mindset . Type of coach I wish the Rocks had going forward . Hate to see former Rocks coaches coaching at rival programs. UA is going to be tough. Big challenge going against R-Burg this week .

Last edited:
Not surprisingly the Rocks are ranked in the initial top 7 in the This Week's News rankings. Also, not a shock that they are checking in at 22 in the initial Max Preps poll. The nature of early HS football rankings is often about the usual suspects , reputation and previous success.

Some years the Rocks have been overrated to start the season. 2008 comes to mind which is a bit of a parallel to this season. They were coming off of a final four year in which they could play with anyone in the state. The last few years they have been very talented and been in the mix and able to play with most folks. Like 2008 , this team lost 5 D-1 players to graduation. The 2010 team was overrated with D-1 QB Zach Stoudt coming back but he had lost some weapons and the O-line was in a big rebuild [ Zero starters but a good one moving from the Defensive line to help, Notre Dame recruit Carrico } 2009 was a excellent year going 12-1 losing to eventual state champ Davidson in the regional final [Stoudt and all state LB Buehler along with 3 other guys were out the last couple weeks of the play-offs} .

Those with knowledge of the program knew they were over ranked based on previous success. The teams did well with what they had , the 2008 team the last one to miss the play-offs lost three close games to play-off teams finishing 7-3 and 10th in the Harbin regional rankings. 2010 went 8-2 but got beaten up by Westy South two times { and Davidson} including round one of the play-offs .

2015 they were a tad overrated off of the very good 2014 team that narrowly lost to state finalist Wayne in the play-offs. with D-1 QB Gunnar Hoak back along with two other D-1 players , but had a few other weaknesses that were exploited , finishing 7-4 and a blowout loss to Colerain in the play-offs. The 2008 team did have a very good Junior class that went on to the 12-1 2009 team . A BIG offensive line . The receivers were all new though and the QB was Sophomore Cole Stoudt . Talented to be sure , but with a lack of kids with separation skill and experience the passing game against the best teams they played was lacking. This was the last year they frequently played with a two-back set . Senior Jared Phillips had won the starting job as a Junior before getting dinged in the first round of the play-offs where little used Sophomore Shaun [Scoobie} Jones took over and did very well in the three games he started . So, with a bigger O-line that was more of a road grader better at run blocking unit they went with the two backs Phillips and Jones a good percentage of the time.

The defense was also better than Coffman's unit this year at least right now on paper. Some Juniors saw action in 2007 and did well as Seniors and the Junior group was excellent. Maggs is better as a Senior than Stoudt was as a Sophomore and has two guys with experience and some production at the varsity level whereas Stoudt didn't have any . The 2010 team had to totally rebuild the O-line as well and needed to bring Carrico from DE to play Left tackle. O-Line is going to be a big key this year. Secondary tackling and not being as fast as other groups is a concern . LB's have been banged up I have been told.

Coffman getting some respect in the rankings early isn't new , but we often see these rankings reflect past success rather than the current reality or rebuild. Conversely there are years off of more modest success that the Rocks have bene underrated . 2014 comes to mind. Given due respect but were clearly a bit better than the initial rankings with so many guys back . 2009 was an underrated team in the initial rankings off of their 7-3 rare non-play-off year. I don't have the Rocks as a top 10 CO team right now. Too many questions . Too little experience. To little demonstrated higher performance on Friday night . New coaching staff . Tough league competition . Some non-league opponents match up well with them in some areas. They will face good coaching staff's.

The team won't make as many big plays on both sides of the ball . OLB Devon Wiliams big sacks or tackles for loss after reading the play and having the speed to get there will be missed . Threats ? Both sides of the ball making impactful plays game in and game out. Warnsman as the LT anchor will be missed. QB Mathews running ability . D-Lineman Russell making disruptful plays and taking up two blockers on most plays won't be duplicated . So how do you compensate ?

Obviously, the team will be coached hard and well. They will play with tremendous energy. They will lack depth though. More kids will likely play both ways than in any previous year since I have been following. They won't hit on as many home run plays . Make as many tackles for a loss which often have an underrated impact on the game.

So, to compensate I think we will see the energy level per play be high. They will have to fully take advantage of QB Maggs talents , both arm and his legs. Coach the receivers up in terms of getting open and getting separation. I haven't seen this position group use the tricks and being coached up since Ullery coached the receivers . Not talking just flat production, but getting OPEN but using scheme and nuance. Have RB's Anderson and Heard emerge as they get more game reps. O-Line must be as close to perfect as possible executing the blocking scheme. That will come with experience.

The D-Line with good players back has to be really solid and have gap integrity. Setting the edge issues have to be addressed. LB's have to make some plays . But mostly the team has to be greater than the sum of their parts. The usual level of individual talent is not present this year. The alignment and assignment aspect has to be on point to a high degree. The margins for error are lower. They aren't going to simply out athlete teams if you will as they sometimes have in the past .Playing Complementary football is a must with both units helping each other be put in positions to succeed.

The chip on the shoulder attitude could be mitigated by the inflated initial rankings , but I think Stokes and his staff will navigate this in a way that won't affect the players attitudes.
Shaun Scooby Jones was a Sophmore in ‘07, he played huge in the playoffs. I wasn’t understanding when you were saying Scooby started playing? It was the ‘07 playoffs.

Shaun Scooby Jones was a Sophmore in ‘07, he played huge in the playoffs. I wasn’t understanding when you were saying Scooby started playing? It was the ‘07 playoffs.
He barely played all year and stepped up big in the last three games as I said He literally started playing ( starting in week 12 ) . Well aware of how old he was and the history . Very few reps all year , started vs PC Darby and St X . Jared Phillips banged up his shoulder .

He barely played all year and stepped up big in the last three games as I said He literally started playing ( starting in week 12 ) . Well aware of how old he was and the history . Very few reps all year , started vs PC Darby and St X . Jared Phillips banged up his shoulder .
It wasn’t an attack Harry. I explained that I wasn’t sure what you were saying. Was just trying to help clear it up. His true breakout was a huge run vs. Darby if I remember correctly. I do remember Steve Gardiner playing quite a bit of TB against X. I can’t remember if Scooby was banged up or if a Sr. Gardiner was just more reliable. Gardiner was a phenomenal HS football player.

They were down last year , I figured they would be a bit better this year but I also talked to my guy over there this morning. Not encouraging . Jerome is good though . Not great , but has a few solid classes and the kids have taken a few lumps and may be ready to go this year .
Jerome also added a tremendous, tremendous coach.

It wasn’t an attack Harry. I explained that I wasn’t sure what you were saying. Was just trying to help clear it up. His true breakout was a huge run vs. Darby if I remember correctly. I do remember Steve Gardiner playing quite a bit of TB against X. I can’t remember if Scooby was banged up or if a Sr. Gardiner was just more reliable. Gardiner was a phenomenal HS football player.
Yes he made some nice runs vs Pic Central to help set up the passing attack and that run vs Darby sealed the game ., dud well vs St X. But that defense was loaded (. 6 D1 kids. At least). Jr . Luke Keuchly wasn’t even the star at that time .Shut out Mentor the next week winning 27-0 . I remember Scooby playing more , but that was 14 years ago lol. Gardiner was a tackling machine . He was all over Ashley all game long . He had high teen tackles. Very versatile . Kind of a situation player at Michigan State . Kind of a tweener . Natural inside guy but not big enough at the college level and not quite fast enough to be full time outside .

Couple more notes from scrimmage:

-Stokes calling the offense
-Former Jerome Staffer Zip Duncan calling the defense? (Was at least giving signals)
-The lone returning staffer from previous staff was on sideline in a non-headset coaching role (FWIW)

-One statement I heard being thrown around a lot from both players and coaches during the scrimmage was "Quit feeling sorry for yourself" gives you a little bit of insight I would assume in the type of culture that Coach Stokes is trying to build.

Diving more into the schedule, I like the balance that it presents. Not really any back to back weeks that are going to be brutal.

Stay healthy and get better every week, and should be able to scratch out some Ws

Couple more notes from scrimmage:

-Stokes calling the offense
-Former Jerome Staffer Zip Duncan calling the defense? (Was at least giving signals)
-The lone returning staffer from previous staff was on sideline in a non-headset coaching role (FWIW)

-One statement I heard being thrown around a lot from both players and coaches during the scrimmage was "Quit feeling sorry for yourself" gives you a little bit of insight I would assume in the type of culture that Coach Stokes is trying to build.

Diving more into the schedule, I like the balance that it presents. Not really any back to back weeks that are going to be brutal.

Stay healthy and get better every week, and should be able to scratch out some Ws

Bret Buchanan is the defensive coordinator.

Quarterback play and development at all levels over the last 20 years has improved incredibly. Watch some of the old tapes of games in the 70's through the end of the 90's and you will see unrefined footwork. Awkward pocket presence . Poor weight transfer when throwing . Poor mechanics and body alignment in the throwing motion that really killed accuracy,.

A lot of deep passes were more prayer like, You hoped the ball falling from the sky would nestle into the receivers' arms. OK may be exaggerating a bit lol. But the tape doesn't lie. College QB's had poor footwork. balls would sail on them at a lot higher rate. A solid efficient passing game was much more of an exception than it is now. Quarterback guru's, 7 on 7's, more individual work and more time quite frankly is being put into QB development than ever before .

Offensive line play and it's lack of development at the top levels seems to be lagging for various reasons. Which is why I really believe that a cornerstone of sustained success is developing an offensive [ spilling over to the other side of the ball } culture and excellence that is a strength year in and year out is huge[think Olentangy Liberty } and can elevate all of your skill position kids. You don't need incredible athletes if you are strong fundamentally up front.

Watching young QB's pocket presence and their footwork keeping their eyes down field and their solid accuracy is almost expected. A few programs in CO are probably set to go with Soph. QB's and from what I've seen and been told they are legit. Pick North's O'Connell is a tall rangy kid with potential . Bradley Soph. Fleherty is a stud . really impressive kid. Moves well , also perfect size and fram for the next level and his arm on those longer out routes is mature beyond his class. Fellow Soph. Preston Wolf who was the best MS player in Dublin two years ago is along with Senior star Mayfield is a go to receiver . May be that's why he transferred to Bradley ? The two knew each other from camps ? Hmm. The third guy who I saw on tape and heard about is Liberty's JJ Sebert who isn't as tall as the other two but is REALLY athletic . FAST. Moves well in the pocket always looking downfield , but when push comes to shove in the pocket he can tuck it and simply beat people to the corner and then turn it upfield .

He will be a force for that program as will the other two at some point. His throwing motion needs to eb refined as he literally slings it three quarters or even more sidearm as if he is throwing a baseball. The thing is most of the passes I saw were accurate and on the money .His speed saw him running away from Pick Central defenders. Coffman QB Maggs a first-year starter has improved in all areas and just needs time and his receivers to get open or adjust and help him out , but he can have a great year. Coach Stokes is a noted QB guy as he played the position and his work with QB's has been successful in his other jobs. The younger kids can really look forward to developing under his tutelage . The aforementioned programs seem to be all set at QB for a while now.

Coffman had some unfortunate bad luck health wise at a key position on their defense as two starting LB's were and are out [Status update ?} and their absence showed big time in run support issues vs. a rebuilding all new Olentangy offense. Couldn't get off blocks and couldn't make plays . D-Line can be good and has some good players . Teams will simply flip then ball out in the flat or run wide and negate that strength until the Rocks can set an edge and get some hats to the ball and get off blocks. I know little about how good this team is from Indiana . They are rebuilding as well. previous editions of Coffman I would have no doubt would beat whatever they might have in a given year. This year? No idea. AT ALL . I do know that they like to run it most of the time . Can the Rocks stop or slow them? Can they get off of the field?

What I would try to do is control the football . Try to establish the run, and see if you can pound it a bit and throw in well times quick outs and slants to keep run defense honest. Beat them at their game a bit . Control the clock , give your defense a good chance to succeed , put them in good positions and play commentary football . If you are missing the two key LB's scramble the best you can and have your offense carry more weight. QB Maggs is a good runner . Has a bit of shake and some moves. He is capable of ripping off some good runs if designed or if things break down in the pocket.

Some interesting match-ups in week one . Pick C -Massillon obviously is a marquee match-up . Liberty vs. Steubneville ? Great experience for the Patriots to play a smaller school legendary program up there in that atmosphere. Pick North - Lancaster with their new era starting.[North too athletic ?} Groveport vs. Canal piques the interest Canal some saw in the 4-way Coffman scrimmage and Byrd is a star at RB and GPM is a future Rocks opponent. Gahanna -Mason will give us quick look at how good Gahanna might be. Burg at UA ? Will also give us a good look at the initial strength of those programs this year as UA needs to find some guy's up front to rely on . Burg with the QB and athletes will test the Bears.

DeSales Berlin is one to watch. Thompson injury is HUGE with DeSales losing some starters from last year and he is as valuable to his team as anyone in CO. HUGE loss Can Berlin stand in physically?

We know they will throw it early and often and have a stud receiver in Lawrence. Stallions got some work in defending the pass in their scrimmage vs Bradley and QB Fleherty with very good receivers . DeSales seemed to play loose coverage in that scrimmage and gave up big chunks of yardage . Berlin can see this tape and had to have guys over there scouting . DeSales will probably pound the rock and use some clock as Berlin weaknesses is on defense in terms of being physical enough against teams with a bit more strength and size.

Westy South Ibbies and the most scary in CO skill position kid Saunders vs. a rebuilding Olentangy team who has schemes that will test the defense which was suspect last year. Tagyb defense is raw. I see some points in this one.

Yes he made some nice runs vs Pic Central to help set up the passing attack and that run vs Darby sealed the game ., dud well vs St X. But that defense was loaded (. 6 D1 kids. At least). Jr . Luke Keuchly wasn’t even the star at that time .Shut out Mentor the next week winning 27-0 . I remember Scooby playing more , but that was 14 years ago lol. Gardiner was a tackling machine . He was all over Ashley all game long . He had high teen tackles. Very versatile . Kind of a situation player at Michigan State . Kind of a tweener . Natural inside guy but not big enough at the college level and not quite fast enough to be full time outside .
Loved watching Steve Gardiner play LB! Great nose for the ball! My personal favorite Coffman player!

Loved watching Steve Gardiner play LB! Great nose for the ball! My personal favorite Coffman player!

Yes he was always around the ball. It seemed to actually follow him around lol. I was a hockey guy growing up and one of the terms a scout will use to describe a forward is “. The puck follows him
Around “. Gardiner was a football version of that. Lol. St X fans were understandably very confident going into that matchup in 2007 and were opining that they may get to use their backups in the second half because Darby put up a lot of points on the defense the week before . Well the Rocks were the only team to out gain the 15-0 number 5 team in the country Bombers ( 10-7 final ) and I think Gardiner just made another tackle . After the game Bomber posters were really cool and gave Gardiner among others a lot of respect

Yes he was always around the ball. It seemed to actually follow him around lol. I was a hockey guy growing up and one of the terms a scout will use to describe a forward is “. The puck follows him
Around “. Gardiner was a football version of that. Lol. St X fans were understandably very confident going into that matchup in 2007 and were opining that they may get to use their backups in the second half because Darby put up a lot of points on the defense the week before . Well the Rocks were the only team to out gain the 15-0 number 5 team in the country Bombers ( 10-7 final ) and I think Gardiner just made another tackle . After the game Bomber posters were really cool and gave Gardiner among others a lot of respect

This was a game, IMHO, that Coffman very well could have won. I remember listening to this game and got the vibe that Coffman more than held their own and if I recall, there was a play call that some second-guessed that could have been pivotal.

This was a game, IMHO, that Coffman very well could have won. I remember listening to this game and got the vibe that Coffman more than held their own and if I recall, there was a play call that some second-guessed that could have been pivotal.
They didn’t just hold their own they played right with them . As i mentioned they were the only team to out gain them from scrimmage . Rocks were deep in ST X territory down 3 so well within FG range to tie it and send it to OT . No timeouts left they threw a couple to the end zone and took one more shot but threw it short and the kid was tackled in bounds near. The sideline . Clock ran out . Excruciating . This past year same thing basically . Down 3 to Liberty in the playoffs drove down to the 13 well within D-1 kicker Magyars(. First team all state ) range to tie it in a worst case scenario. They lost a fumbled snap. . Ball game over .

I've heard Crabtree hasn't handled the transition well and that's on him. That said, it would be tough to expect his kid to go into that locker room everyday and take the new coaching staff continuously saying that his dad didn't teach the right way to work, the culture was broken, etc. Probably best for everyone that he is going to DeSales.

I told you all this back in July.