Dover Tornadoes Football 2022

I don’t know much about Dover, but why would NP join a conference without them? I would have thought they would have been a package deal for any league.

I don’t know much about Dover, but why would NP join a conference without them? I would have thought they would have been a package deal for any league.

My guess is that all schools agreed that Dover would join when an opening occurs (which they must think is imminent). Regardless, they’ve been in separate conferences before. Dover was in the NBC, while Phila was in the Federal League.

About 5 years ago Dover was talking with the OCC but they only wanted one team, Dover declined the invite unless phila was included. In short Phila stabbed Dover in the back.

Last edited:
About 5 years ago Dover was talking with the OCC but they only wanted one team, Dover declined the invite unless phila was included. In short Phila stabbed Dover in the back.
This is the most accurate post I have seen on here regarding the OCC adding Phila and where Dover fits in. The rest on here has been far off. If a team leaves I could maybe see Dover getting in but the OCC schools who talk about leaving it is all bluster, they aren't going anywhere. I see this 8 team OCC staying together for awhile. Honestly I see Phila as the first team to bolt if Dover gets some sort of league going which is a very slim possibility.

This is the most accurate post I have seen on here regarding the OCC adding Phila and where Dover fits in. The rest on here has been far off. If a team leaves I could maybe see Dover getting in but the OCC schools who talk about leaving it is all bluster, they aren't going anywhere. I see this 8 team OCC staying together for awhile. Honestly I see Phila as the first team to bolt if Dover gets some sort of league going which is a very slim possibility.
Dennison was the football coach and AD. He did this league change then bolted, he has no sense of loyalty.

Dennison was the football coach and AD. He did this league change then bolted, he has no sense of loyalty.
From a Phila perspective it is a great move to get into a league and the OCC has been sneaky good lately with a state finals appearance, a Mr. Football, multiple regional championships and several Power 5 recruits in the last 5 or so years. Facilities for the most part are phenomenal for all schools as well. Being independent is a tough, tough situation for any school and certainly not ideal for Dover, but I wouldn't hammer Phila or Dennison for that matter for doing what is best for their school. While not what Dover would ideally want for a situation, the decision makers will do what is needed to navigate the independent waters and Dover will not become what Louisville has. You can already see the steps being taken to protect the football program.

As someone who played in the old Cardinal Conf., those bus rides from T County to Mansfield were horrible. Plus now you have Lexington which is further. Be ready to be getting home at midnight.

I don’t get why Dover has had such a tough time finding a home. They’re a historical program (I believe top ten in all time wins in football and basketball?), are competitive in most sports- especially the big ones, have amazing facilities, the fans travel well (so you get a decent gate income when you play them), etc, yet can’t seem to find a league that wants them. Does it really just come down to geography and them not being close enough to similar schools? It seems like in the old days of the ECOL all the schools were similar in size, but Coshocton, Cambridge, Claymont, etc. got smaller while Dover got bigger?

Enrollments changed for ECOL schools, when the league initially split Dover was the next to smallest school in the big school behind Zanesville,New Phila,Marietta,Cambridge then Dover then River View.
I believe Becker Creek was a boost to Dovers enrollment plus allowing open enrollment.
As for teams to form a new league Dover is kind of in no mans land,just no schools available that are our size. The only current teams that could form a league would be Dover Steubenville and Louisville, 3 teams,that’s it so for now I think Dover will be playing St. Someone and maybe go further south and East towards OVAC schools.

I don’t get why Dover has had such a tough time finding a home. They’re a historical program (I believe top ten in all time wins in football and basketball?), are competitive in most sports- especially the big ones, have amazing facilities, the fans travel well (so you get a decent gate income when you play them), etc, yet can’t seem to find a league that wants them. Does it really just come down to geography and them not being close enough to similar schools? It seems like in the old days of the ECOL all the schools were similar in size, but Coshocton, Cambridge, Claymont, etc. got smaller while Dover got bigger?
As seems to be the case when leagues get formed, the three main factors are usually geography, size, and availability of spots. Dover is a D3 in Tuscarawas County, which is a fairly remote area for finding like-sized competition. The schools that surround Dover/NP are all D4 or smaller and in the Inter-Valley Conference (including a very down Claymont program).

There are only other "nearby" (which I use loosely) leagues with D3 schools:

1) The Muskingum Valley, which among its 12 members (0 openings) has only 2 D3 schools, the rest all lower. Also a lot of far trips.

2) The Eastern Buckeye. But while Dover has had a remarkably consistent run in football over the last quarter century, recent years' developments have shown that to possibly be a detriment. Louisville was kicked out of what is now the EBC back in 2018 because of their run of football success, despite being a D3 in a league where the other members are all D3/D4. Dover was in this league (NBC) from 1989-93, and while they wouldn't be a bad geographic fit, they wouldn't get an invite for the same reason these schools excluded Louisville.

3) The Ohio Cardinal, which New Philadelphia joined because of the ONE vacancy that was there. Basically, Dover is hoping another vacancy opens up (Mount Vernon?). Until then, they have to survive independency, unless they want to be a REALLY small fish the big pond that's the Federal League.

As seems to be the case when leagues get formed, the three main factors are usually geography, size, and availability of spots. Dover is a D3 in Tuscarawas County, which is a fairly remote area for finding like-sized competition. The schools that surround Dover/NP are all D4 or smaller and in the Inter-Valley Conference (including a very down Claymont program).

There are only other "nearby" (which I use loosely) leagues with D3 schools:

1) The Muskingum Valley, which among its 12 members (0 openings) has only 2 D3 schools, the rest all lower. Also a lot of far trips.

2) The Eastern Buckeye. But while Dover has had a remarkably consistent run in football over the last quarter century, recent years' developments have shown that to possibly be a detriment. Louisville was kicked out of what is now the EBC back in 2018 because of their run of football success, despite being a D3 in a league where the other members are all D3/D4. Dover was in this league (NBC) from 1989-93, and while they wouldn't be a bad geographic fit, they wouldn't get an invite for the same reason these schools excluded Louisville.

3) The Ohio Cardinal, which New Philadelphia joined because of the ONE vacancy that was there. Basically, Dover is hoping another vacancy opens up (Mount Vernon?). Until then, they have to survive independency, unless they want to be a REALLY small fish the big pond that's the Federal League.

Personally I think a great fit would be an EBC hybrid. If Salem and West Branch decide to move east to team up with the Mahoning Valley schools, I could see the remaining schools working with Louisville and Dover to make slightly larger D3 conference: Dover, Louisville, Alliance, Marlington, Carrollton, and hopefully Phila. Much better geographically for Dover, Phila, and Louisville than their current situations. The others would have to drive slightly more, but one county south isn’t that bad. I’m excluding Minerva because I think they’re now too small and couldn’t compete with these schools and would look to join the PAC or move east, as well.

Alternatively I would love the remaining 6 EBC schools to just invite Louisville and Dover, but it sounds like that will never happen. Someone else has pointed out previously in another thread that the NBC/EBC footprint has shifted east, kind of away from Dover, as the 4 westernmost previous members have all left over the years (Northwest, Canton South, Dover, and Louisville), so that may also make it less appealing for the current teams.

Personally I think a great fit would be an EBC hybrid. If Salem and West Branch decide to move east to team up with the Mahoning Valley schools, I could see the remaining schools working with Louisville and Dover to make slightly larger D3 conference: Dover, Louisville, Alliance, Marlington, Carrollton, and hopefully Phila. Much better geographically for Dover, Phila, and Louisville than their current situations. The others would have to drive slightly more, but one county south isn’t that bad. I’m excluding Minerva because I think they’re now too small and couldn’t compete with these schools and would look to join the PAC or move east, as well.

Alternatively I would love the remaining 6 EBC schools to just invite Louisville and Dover, but it sounds like that will never happen. Someone else has pointed out previously in another thread that the NBC/EBC footprint has shifted east, kind of away from Dover, as the 4 westernmost previous members have all left over the years (Northwest, Canton South, Dover, and Louisville), so that may also make it less appealing for the current teams.
Also Akron Springfield

but I wouldn't hammer Phila or Dennison for that matter for doing what is best for their school.
I would... that schedule Coach Dennison left for the new guy had them setup to fail. Dude built his reign playing Collinwood, Struthers and West Toronto Prep.. made the youngblood come out against Chardon, Canfield, and Steubenville.

Last edited:
I have to think the days of 6 and 7 home games will end which will in turn hurt the athletic budget. Last season was kind of a fluke with 10 of 13 being home and we had great weather for all but St. V.

Week
1 - A Mentor Lake Catholic
2 - BYE
3 - H Indian Valley
4 - BYE
5 - BYE
6 - BYE
7 - H Canfield ***
8 - BYE
9 - A Linsly (WV)
10 - A New Philadelphia
*** This was week 2 originally, not sure if this is correct or not as Canfield had Fitch originally penciled in for week 7

At the moment Dover has a lot of holes to fill on the schedule it appears. Canfield is in a similar boat with 2 or 3 BYE/OPEN weeks as well.
Week 2 - (H) Akron East
Week 5 - (A) Steubenville

Don't see the EBC changing anytime soon. How about football only with Dover, Louisville, Steubenville and Canfield. Others would likely want to join in the future.

Don't see the EBC changing anytime soon. How about football only with Dover, Louisville, Steubenville and Canfield. Others would likely want to join in the future.

Personally, I don’t think a football-only conference solves anything. Dover needs a home for all sports, middle school through high school.

As someone who played in the old Cardinal Conf., those bus rides from T County to Mansfield were horrible. Plus now you have Lexington which is further. Be ready to be getting home at midnight.
As someone also who played in the old CC, those bus rides to T County were horrible because we usually came home with a L.
Coshocton was the worst tho!!

Actually if you check the mileages going to OAC compared to the ECOL when Zanesville was in it is almost identical. The main difference is the ECOL was a interstate 77 and I 70 league,OAC is 250 and a lot of small towns.

Personally, I don’t think a football-only conference solves anything. Dover needs a home for all sports, middle school through high school.
How about in all other sports except football Dover joins the AAC: Fitch, Boardman, Warren, Canfield and add Louisville, Dover and Massillon. That is a good conference competition in basketball, track, baseball and wrestling.

How about in all other sports except football Dover joins the AAC: Fitch, Boardman, Warren, Canfield and add Louisville, Dover and Massillon. That is a good conference competition in basketball, track, baseball and wrestling.

Unfortunately, my favorite option of Louisville, Dover, New Philadelphia, Alliance, Wooster, and Central Catholic looks impossible now. I was even thinking add Massillon for everything *except football*.

I still think the best way would to just have a league for all sports. Dover, Canfield, Louisville, and Steubenville doing something together would be nice.

Unfortunately, my favorite option of Louisville, Dover, New Philadelphia, Alliance, Wooster, and Central Catholic looks impossible now. I was even thinking add Massillon for everything *except football*.

I like this a lot too. Throw in Marlington and maybe Carrollton, and you have a nice 8 team league.

I still think the best way would to just have a league for all sports. Dover, Canfield, Louisville, and Steubenville doing something together would be nice.
Dover and others may be looking for an all sports league but while Canfield would be open to an all sports league they would not be crazy about all the travel this league would require. Canfield would be open to this only as an only football league. Canfield can find plenty of local opponents from Mahoning, Trumbull, and Columbiana counties for all other sports.

Dover and others may be looking for an all sports league but while Canfield would be open to an all sports league they would not be crazy about all the travel this league would require. Canfield would be open to this only as an only football league. Canfield can find plenty of local opponents from Mahoning, Trumbull, and Columbiana counties for all other sports.

,I agree the fuel cost alone has just doubled and shows no sign it will not continue to go up, all other aspects of transportation will continue to rise to keep up with inflation, in the meantime school finances are locked in without an additional levy.