Dover 2022/2023

Ya I think one and done is best case unfortunately, but even the first game will be extremely tough.
Honest observation and opinion here. The fact that you have 19 wins on the season but were still given the 11th seed says a lot about who you play and what the voting coaches think of your schedules. Most of the team voted higher lost more games.

Honest observation and opinion here. The fact that you have 19 wins on the season but were still given the 11th seed says a lot about who you play and what the voting coaches think of your schedules. Most of the team voted higher lost more games.
I agree, but I truly think they did try to beef up the schedule this year. Hudson, Olentangy, Lake, Massillon, and Benedictine all looked like good games on paper before the season, but under achieved this season. They’re always gonna play Phila, Zanesville, Wooster, etc. I agree they probably shouldn’t play Hiland and River. Those should be removed, and maybe replaced with a few more fed teams like Hoover and Green, or maybe someone similar like Louisville.

I honestly think the D4 schools earned their keep,River and Hiland both gave Dover a battle,Wheeling Central was really young and will be very good next year,D4 or not. They will be moving up a class next season.

I honestly think the D4 schools earned their keep,River and Hiland both gave Dover a battle,Wheeling Central was really young and will be very good next year,D4 or not. They will be moving up a class next season.
So what your saying is two D4 schools gave Dover a battle, that should be evidence enough that Dover must schedule tougher teams to play D1 and have success in the tourney.

I agree, but I truly think they did try to beef up the schedule this year. Hudson, Olentangy, Lake, Massillon, and Benedictine all looked like good games on paper before the season, but under achieved this season. They’re always gonna play Phila, Zanesville, Wooster, etc. I agree they probably shouldn’t play Hiland and River. Those should be removed, and maybe replaced with a few more fed teams like Hoover and Green, or maybe someone similar like Louisville.
I suppose it would also depend on who was removed from their schedule to add those teams. Jackson to play Lake, or removed Hoover to play Hudson. Hiland and River may be good games but do they provide anything. In most years Hiland give a strong game but being D4 and a control team, they may be better of seeing a team from Akron to help them win a game or two in tournament.

This season's Hiland team may have had the weakest team they have for over 10 years, and you think they gave Dover a battle.

I suppose it would also depend on who was removed from their schedule to add those teams. Jackson to play Lake, or removed Hoover to play Hudson. Hiland and River may be good games but do they provide anything. In most years Hiland give a strong game but being D4 and a control team, they may be better of seeing a team from Akron to help them win a game or two in tournament.
I’m saying they should remove Hiland and River, and add Hoover and Green, if possible. Personally I think they should play at least 4 Fed teams a year (and Lake, Perry, Hoover, and Green would be perfect).

I heard Dover wanted to join the IVC in all sports but football but didn't have the votes to get in
That is not true. They sent a feeler letter out to about 7 conferences. IVC obviously makes no sense as it sits today, this is more down the road if there is expansion into a big/small school division. There was never a vote.

To my knowledge the only conference that voted Dover out (failed to get the needed votes) was the OCC.

So what your saying is two D4 schools gave Dover a battle, that should be evidence enough that Dover must schedule tougher teams to play D1 and have success in the tourney.
Nope,what I am saying is that those 2 D4 schools gave Dover a much better game than many of the D1 and D 2 schools that they played. I think way too much emphasis is put on what division a school is as opposed what the quality of the school is.

I’m saying they should remove Hiland and River, and add Hoover and Green, if possible. Personally I think they should play at least 4 Fed teams a year (and Lake, Perry, Hoover, and Green would be perfect).
I would be all for that, will the schools mentioned be willing to do a home and home?

Last edited:
I would be all for that but I think it is easier said than done due to the unavailability of non federal games.
Good point. Having said that (and I’m no AD), I would prioritize when scheduling:
1) The two Phila games
2) The smaller fed teams
3) OVAC (just enough to get into the tourney)
4) Decent local teams
5) Schedule filler

Nope,what I am saying is that those 2 D4 schools gave Dover a much better game than many of the D1 and D 2 schools that they played. I think way too much emphasis is put on what division a school is as opposed what the quality of the school is.
The D1 teams they played were not very good this year. Schedule good D1 teams to get used to the talent level they will face in the tourney. That's why the coaches voted Dover an 11 seed despite their good record, the coaches saw the competition they played.

I feel it comes down to what your coach wants. Does he risk a 14-8 season to go 3-1 in the tournament or would he rather go 19-3 and go 1-1.

If you really thought this, there are a lot of quality D1 schools looking for games that could help prepare Dover for tournament. Hiland and River do not do that in any year.

Would 14-8 record guarantee a 3-1 tournament record? Would it even increase the likelihood of that?
We all know there are no guarantees, but playing the schedule they have been is not helping. When Wooster was 14-7 they had their best tourney run under Snow. Maybe the next Wooster coach will change.

Would 14-8 record guarantee a 3-1 tournament record? Would it even increase the likelihood of that?
I for one don’t believe it would. I think I have seen every Dover tournament game except Mentor and it was obvious during the player introductions that Dover was way overmatched physically, they have hung in tough but can only get by with grit and hustle so long,eventually the size advantage wins out.

We all know there are no guarantees, but playing the schedule they have been is not helping. When Wooster was 14-7 they had their best tourney run under Snow. Maybe the next Wooster coach will change.
Wooster stepped up their schedule that year, their last regular season game that season was an 11 point home loss to some overrated, underachieving Tuscarawas County team.
4 of their 7 losses were to OCC schools, another was to Dover.

I for one don’t believe it would. I think I have seen every Dover tournament game except Mentor and it was obvious during the player introductions that Dover was way overmatched physically, they have hung in tough but can only get by with grit and hustle so long,eventually the size advantage wins out.
I think way too much emphasis is put on what division a school is as opposed what the quality of the school is. :ROFLMAO:

Wooster stepped up their schedule that year, their last regular season game that season was an 11 point home loss to some overrated, underachieving Tuscarawas County team.
4 of their 7 losses were to OCC schools, another was to Dover.
Can't do anything about the conference but stepping up their non-league was good. The3 of 4 OCC losses were to Lex 2x (who went to the Final Four) and Mt Vernon made it to the Cent District final. The OCC was very strong that season plus a stronger non-league made a difference.

I’m kinda of a Dover fan and it really doesn’t matter what their non conference schedule is. They can’t win more then 1 tournament game in D-1.

I just don’t understand how so many people can have such terrible things to say about a coach that has proven he is successful at the job. Dover is not ever competing at the D1 tournament past the 1st rd and its just a fact. They just don’t have the size to do so.. And to say thats an excuse it isn't, just a FACT! I love my Dover Basketball and I hope last Friday was a wake up call!

I just don’t understand how so many people can have such terrible things to say about a coach that has proven he is successful at the job. Dover is not ever competing at the D1 tournament past the 1st rd and its just a fact. They just don’t have the size to do so.. And to say thats an excuse it isn't, just a FACT! I love my Dover Basketball and I hope last Friday was a wake up call!
How can a D1 team finish the season 19-3 and have fans that say the team cannot compete?

I just don't get their reasoning. They clearly fall into the D1 with their amount of kids but somehow they say they can't compete. Dover must be overrated then
The fans say they are playing a good game schedule and finish 19-3 but then turn and say they cannot compete.