Dover 2022/2023

You would have thought a Garaway vs Dover basketball series, would have happened by now,or even a NP vs Indian Valley and a Dover vs IV, those matchups would have been a big gate draws, the way attendence is now at highschool basketball games
Definitely would like to see a Garaway vs Dover series, especially this year with the squad Garaway has.

isnt playing basketball supposed to be fun. Every Dover team isn’t going to have a shot at winning a state title, it’s just a fact. So they schedule a doable season and then maybe win a couple playoff games maybe not, then they walk away with a fond memory of playing HS basketball. Instead of putting them through hell with a schedule that leads to a losing record and a bad memory of HS basketball
Absolutely about enjoying the time and the experience. My responding with opinions to the Dover fans who enjoy getting wins against smaller schools or weaker talent but then make excuses for losing in tournaments. The typical season mood is fun to follow. Team is coming along great and playing very good basketball until about the middle of Feb. Then the mood changes to it's been fun but no way we can compete with those teams and we should be D2. :)

I mean, if that's the type of guy that you think Bobby is then you don't know him very well. Like I said earlier, Dover has everything to lose by playing Hiland but it's great for the area since they're the two most decorated teams here.
Spoken to him many times and know his interests very well. He is not alone in his way of thinking and it all came out in conversation.

In a normal year they would not have anything to lose by playing Hiland. This year, one of Hiland's weakest teams in a decade, they may.

Spoken to him many times and know his interests very well. He is not alone in his way of thinking and it all came out in conversation.

In a normal year they would not have anything to lose by playing Hiland. This year, one of Hiland's weakest teams in a decade, they may.
They have everything to lose by playing Hiland, no matter how good they are. Hiland has an excellent history and program but a D1 school should beat every D4 school so when you win, congrats on doing what you were supposed to, and if you lose, congrats on losing a game you never should have.

Absolutely about enjoying the time and the experience. My responding with opinions to the Dover fans who enjoy getting wins against smaller schools or weaker talent but then make excuses for losing in tournaments. The typical season mood is fun to follow. Team is coming along great and playing very good basketball until about the middle of Feb. Then the mood changes to it's been fun but no way we can compete with those teams and we should be D2. :)
As a Dover fan, I'm right there with you when it comes to Dover fans......I get irritated with many of them myself. You'll find out though, that most of of the fans with those opinions don't know basketball.

They have everything to lose by playing Hiland, no matter how good they are. Hiland has an excellent history and program but a D1 school should beat every D4 school so when you win, congrats on doing what you were supposed to, and if you lose, congrats on losing a game you never should have.
Debatable if Hiland is ranked top 4 in the state and winning games like most years. This season they are unranked and closer to .500.

It helps when you have a 1000 point scorer and the all time 3 point scorer on the floor at all times. I don’t think BVK got out coached, he does not have 2 players that have played varsity since freshman, (one being a 1000 point scorer), also he doesn’t have Dovers all time 3 point scorer. I’m calling that NP doesn’t beat Dover once next year, mark it down
I am marking that down

Dover topped by Painsville 60-59. Turnovers were a big key. Turning point in my opinion was the behind the back assist for a 3 by Painsville they never trailed after that.
A great season for Dover especially considering they lost 85% of the scoring from last years team. Truly a re- load season,fought hard in every game and that is all we can ask as fans.

Dover topped by Painsville 60-59. Turnovers were a big key. Turning point in my opinion was the behind the back assist for a 3 by Painsville they never trailed after that.
A great season for Dover especially considering they lost 85% of the scoring from last years team. Truly a re- load season,fought hard in every game and that is all we can ask as fans.
It was a great game (but tough 4th quarter). Riverside is a solid team that is now 21-3. Their 3 point shooting was impressive.

Overall, good season for Dover. I thought this would be a down year, but was pleasantly surprised. Dover should be very good next year.

Very tough way to go out! Definitely had numerous chances to win this game! Very impressed on the play of the guys this year after what was expected to be a down year! Best of luck to Riverside

Great fight to the end. They hit their 3’s and got a cushion but Dover never stopped clawing back.

Riverside is a very good and very fundamentally sound team, but they lack size and that will catch up to them soon in D1

Dover fans, I'm sorry. I read some of this thread yesterday and was really hoping you guys would prove the critics wrong and win tonight. You've had some tough breaks lately. Plenty of fans from the Federal league have a lot of respect for your teams in both football and basketball. Looking forward to when Green opens fb season against you guys in August.

Dover fans, I'm sorry. I read some of this thread yesterday and was really hoping you guys would prove the critics wrong and win tonight. You've had some tough breaks lately. Plenty of fans from the Federal league have a lot of respect for your teams in both football and basketball. Looking forward to when Green opens fb season against you guys in August.
I was hoping for the same but unfortunately the boys didn't play their best game when it mattered most again this year. Gives both the football and basketball team motivation for next season. It won't get any easier, especially opening up against you guys at your place week 1.

He is 5-9 dating back to the 2016 season, Not sure if they D1 in his early years
I looked into it year by year for the last 20 years: 5-8 with D1 from 2016-2023, and D2 from at least 2004-2015 (not sure about years prior). Here are the D1 postseasons:

2023- 0-1 (Lost to Riverside)
2022- 0-1 (Lost to Fitch)
2021- 2-1 (Beat Aurora and Nordonia, Lost to Mentor)
2020- 1-1 (Beat Perry, Lost to Green)
2019- 1-1 (Beat Massillon, Lost to Boardman)
2018- 1-1 (Beat Fitch, Lost to Lake)
2017- 0-1 (Lost to Green)
2016- 0-1 (Lost to GlenOak)

From 2004-2015 Dover went 24-12 with a final four appearance in 2004. Another thing of note is that they played John Glenn nearly every year, as they met in the post season in 06, 07, 09, 10, 11, 12, 14, and 15- 8 out of 10 years from 06-15!.

I just don’t understand how so many people can have such terrible things to say about a coach that has proven he is successful at the job. Dover is not ever competing at the D1 tournament past the 1st rd and its just a fact. They just don’t have the size to do so.. And to say thats an excuse it isn't, just a FACT! I love my Dover Basketball and I hope last Friday was a wake up call!
the team we just lost to was smaller size wise then us, it’s not about size it’s about the style of play.

Ok I agree with that,actually I think we had more height. A couple things that I think Dover needs to improve during the off season, improvement is really needed at the foul line although last night they were pretty solid. I think Parkersburg South exposed a lack of strength with the ball,since that first game with them teams are ripping the ball out of Dovers hands or creating a lot of jump ball situations. I think we will be even more vulnerable next year unless they hit the weights hard. Another thing we have to do is break up easy shots with a hard enough foul that they miss the bucket,get your money’s worth,not to hurt anyone but we were out foul shorted 56- 20 in the last 2 games with these gentle fouls that became a 3 point play.

Ok I agree with that,actually I think we had more height. A couple things that I think Dover needs to improve during the off season, improvement is really needed at the foul line although last night they were pretty solid. I think Parkersburg South exposed a lack of strength with the ball,since that first game with them teams are ripping the ball out of Dovers hands or creating a lot of jump ball situations. I think we will be even more vulnerable next year unless they hit the weights hard. Another thing we have to do is break up easy shots with a hard enough foul that they miss the bucket,get your money’s worth,not to hurt anyone but we were out foul shorted 56- 20 in the last 2 games with these gentle fouls that became a 3 point play.
I believe if certain boys buy into their role next year that the team will be very good. Has some athletes, bringing back a lot of experience, and there is some toughness that comes with that group also.

For the second year in a row Dover defeated the West Virginia big school state champion and the runner up,both Morgantown and Parkersburg South have about 600 more boys than Dover. Hard to believe WVa lags so far behind.

For the second year in a row Dover defeated the West Virginia big school state champion and the runner up,both Morgantown and Parkersburg South have about 600 more boys than Dover. Hard to believe WVa lags so far behind.
So you are telling us that Dover can win against teams with about 1000 boys in high school.