Votes: 32 22.2%
  • Marion Local by 1-7

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Dalton

Votes: 32 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Norwayne! What a fun team that was
That team was unreal. Scored on every possession against 13-0 Johnstown-Monroe in the state semifinals. The definition of hitting your stride and playing your best ball at the right time of the year.

With that said, unfortunately I don't think the 2023 Dalton Bulldogs are the 2011 Norwayne Bobcats. I wish they were. I still stick with my prediction of a 34-13 Marion Local victory.

Last edited:
Exactly what I was thinking !! Nobody nobody gave them the chance . And Norwayne came out early and punched them in the mouth . Let’s Go Dalton!
My question? Is Dalton considerably better than the MAC opponent in the state finals the last three years?? Because this Marion team is as good or better than what the MAC has had in the D7 game the last three years.
2020 - JFK 9-2 entering the finals with losses to DV Garfield and DIII Howland
2021 - Newark Catholic 14-1 entering the finals with a loss to DIV Heath
2022 - JFK 13-1 entering the finals with a lone loss to DVI Mogadore (who was 12-1)

My point is I don’t see Dalton being that much better than these teams and we have seen how the finals have went: 31-0, 42-7 & 38-6.

A lot of this chatter reminds me of the Kenton vs Norwayne title game... Fondly remember everyone saying Norwayne had no chance and Kenton would beat the breaks off of them.

I hope Dalton serves up the MAC and Cheese just in time for Christmas. Bring home the chip.
It is very similar in the context that a team from Wayne Co going up against a team that had been on the state landscape for the previous few years. Kenton had lost to Alter & Massie in the prior 2 years so, when they got past Hartley & Massie in their 2011 run, their fans figured they were destined to win. And man did they act like idiots on JJHuddle. Kinda forgot that the title game was new for both teams.

The difference here is the Flyers have been to the mountaintop so many times they exchange Christmas cards with the folks who own homes on 17th & 19th St in Canton. Hard to imagine any Goodwin coached team being punched in the mouth the way Norwayne did to Kenton.

And man did [Kenton fans] act like idiots on JJHuddle.
I've been an avid user of Ohio HS sports forums since my freshman year of high school in 2001. I have NEVER enjoyed forcing an entire fanbase to eat crow quite like those Kenton fans after that game. Sure, Marion Local and MAC fans are very confident in Marion Local, as they should be! But I think they are at least being somewhat respectful in their blowout predictions. Kenton did not have quite as much tact. (understatement of the century) LoL

My question? Is Dalton considerably better than the MAC opponent in the state finals the last three years?? Because this Marion team is as good or better than what the MAC has had in the D7 game the last three years.
2022 - JFK 13-1 entering the finals with a lone loss to DVI Mogadore (who was 12-1)

My point is I don’t see Dalton being that much better than these teams and we have seen how the finals have went: 31-0, 42-7 & 38-6.
good research but who cares, ML has no history with Dalton, thats all anyone needs to know

It is very similar in the context that a team from Wayne Co going up against a team that had been on the state landscape for the previous few years. Kenton had lost to Alter & Massie in the prior 2 years so, when they got past Hartley & Massie in their 2011 run, their fans figured they were destined to win. And man did they act like idiots on JJHuddle. Kinda forgot that the title game was new for both teams.

The difference here is the Flyers have been to the mountaintop so many times they exchange Christmas cards with the folks who own homes on 17th & 19th St in Canton. Hard to imagine any Goodwin coached team being punched in the mouth the way Norwayne did to Kenton.
The difference in that Norwayne and Kenton game is that Norwayne came in believing they could win.

They were not like a deer in headlights against kenton (a real deer, not a decoy.....IYKYK)

Too Soon?

Interesting question. I'd say Dalton is similar to the '22 Kirtland team that ML played in the D6 finals. Dalton's QB is better, lines are equal, but not sure if they're as physical in the secondary as the Hornets.

I've been an avid user of Ohio HS sports forums since my freshman year of high school in 2001. I have NEVER enjoyed forcing an entire fanbase to eat crow quite like those Kenton fans after that game. Sure, Marion Local and MAC fans are very confident in Marion Local, as they should be! But I think they are at least being somewhat respectful in their blowout predictions. Kenton did not have quite as much tact. (understatement of the century) LoL
Yup. I didn't post back in those days, but did enjoy reading up on the games. Leaving the stadium after that game I remember being excited to go back to work on Monday to read all the comments. 🤣

Who else had "Coach Mauk getting fired by a high school in Missouri" on their BINGO card for this game thread?
Napoleon Dynamite Hello GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

6'4 290 Grayson Lehman does not look that big on tape, the kid moves very well. Quarterback throw's a nice ball. The wheel routes to the backs are explosive plays. 22 and 23 are quality backs.

Watched Kirtlands coach Tiger's interview after the finals game against Marion last year. His opening comments about Marion's defense sums up, why all of the Marion poster are confident they are going to win.

Tiger's quote " You just cant simulate in practice the size, speed and strength of their defense".

Kirtland had only 6 first downs, last year. But Kirtland has also beat the Flyers twice. Matchups are everything in football.

Marion has given up 7 points in the playoffs.

For Dalton to win, they need to hold the Flyers under 14 points.

6'4 290 Grayson Lehman does not look that big on tape, the kid moves very well. Quarterback throw's a nice ball. The wheel routes to the backs are explosive plays. 22 and 23 are quality backs.

Watched Kirtlands coach Tiger's interview after the finals game against Marion last year. His opening comments about Marion's defense sums up, why all of the Marion poster are confident they are going to win.

Tiger's quote " You just cant simulate in practice the size, speed and strength of their defense".

Kirtland had only 6 first downs, last year. But Kirtland has also beat the Flyers twice. Matchups are everything in football.

Marion has given up 7 points in the playoffs.

For Dalton to win, they need to hold the Flyers under 14 points.
If a kid that big doesnt look that big on tape its usually because he is twitchy and carries weight well. He has offers from Davidson and Mount. I could not be more excited for this matchup!!

That team was unreal. Scored on every possession against 13-0 Johnstown-Monroe in the state semifinals. The definition of hitting your stride and playing your best ball at the right time of the year.

With that said, unfortunately I don't think the 2023 Dalton Bulldogs are the 2011 Norwayne Bobcats. I wish they were. I still stick with my prediction of a 34-13 Marion Local victory.
Forsure ! Idk if we will ever see another 2011 Norwayne .

I can see why Grayson is getting D1 looks. Marion had an lineman pretty much the same size the first time we beat Kirtland at state. He went on to play at Notre Dame. We don't typically grow them that big. 210 is more the average size of our lineman. I can see why you were within a touchdown of Kirtland. Having a lineman that size with mobility can really clog the middle.

Versailles played one of their better games this yr against ML. It was equivalent to a state game for V. The boys were jacked up And ML still won. Matter of fact we’ve brought our best over the last 3 yrs. Record 0-4. ML wins against Dalton. Maybe by 14 or more.

I can see why Grayson is getting D1 looks. Marion had an lineman pretty much the same size the first time we beat Kirtland at state. He went on to play at Notre Dame. We don't typically grow them that big. 210 is more the average size of our lineman. I can see why you were within a touchdown of Kirtland. Having a lineman that size with mobility can really clog the middle.
John Dirksen, sweet deal. If I was an OL prospect I would go to ND too if given the offer

For the record, the mqc is 2-1 vs the wayne county league

Cw 2-0 vs Doylestown and dsj is 0-1 vs the Smithies....

You state Orrville is from wayne co so its 2-2 total...
So...this matchup is not only for the title but also who is better....the MAC or wayne county?
Add Hillsdale to that list as they played DSJ in 2010 for a non conference game. The Bluejays beat the falcons 35 to 7.

I go back to the fact that Dalton was pretty much even with Norwalk St. Paul going into the fourth quarter. That wasn’t a very good NSP team - very, very average. If they could run on Dalton, I’d think ML would be able to run at will. One NSP running back went for 185, the other 104😬

this game is on YouTube under WQKT.

Last edited:
bigkat is to Dalton what Stokes was to Mechanicsburg back in the day. Hopefully the result is the same for the Steiners :banana:
how did you know that me and the coach from Dalton were ball boys together back when we were 8 years old....

Some guy with Khaki pants paid me $20 a game and tickets to ALL of the Steiners games this past season from Dalton... to sit on the visitors stands and to film all Goodwins sideline signals......
Fail.
They generally run plays in on offense I do believe......

I go back to the fact that Dalton was pretty much even with Norwalk St. Paul going into the fourth quarter. That wasn’t a very good NSP team - very, very average. If they could run on Dalton, I’d think ML would be able to run at will. One NSP running back went for 185, the other 104😬

this game is on YouTube under WQKT.
You watched that game and thought they were even? …interesting

You watched that game and thought they were even? …interesting
I mean, SP didn't have any issues running the ball and Dalton knew that's all they were going to do. It was 26-21 with two minutes to go in the third quarter and SP turned the ball over three times that went for Dalton scores. SP had two kids run for a combined 289 yards and it wasn't garbage time yardage.