Division VII Football Poll - Week 2 (08/30/21)

Yappi

Go Buckeyes

1 Marion Local (Maria Stein) (2-0) (176) [15]
2 New Bremen (New Bremen) (2-0) (125)
3 Newark Catholic (Newark) (2-0) (95)
4 John F Kennedy (Warren) (2-0) (94) [1]
5 St Henry (St Henry) (1-1) (90) [1]
6 Lucas (Lucas) (2-0) (62) [1]
7 Lima Central Catholic (Lima) (1-1) (50)
8 Dalton (Dalton) (2-0) (43)
9 St Paul (Norwalk) (2-0) (38)
10 Fort Loramie (Fort Loramie) (1-1) (32)

Others - Trimble (Glouster) (2-0), McComb (McComb) (1-1), Hopewell-Loudon (Bascom) (2-0), Shadyside (Shadyside) (2-0), Berne Union (Sugar Grove) (2-0)

Other than JFK and Lucas getting 1st place votes, this isn't really that bad. Personally, I'd have Lucas and Kennedy lower and St. Henry at #3.

Other than JFK and Lucas getting 1st place votes, this isn't really that bad. Personally, I'd have Lucas and Kennedy lower and St. Henry at #3.
Because you haven’t watched JFK. Have been playing JV’s and freshman in 2nd halves of both games. I will admit this week will tell a lot for JFK.

Because you haven’t watched JFK. Have been playing JV’s and freshman in 2nd halves of both games. I will admit this week will tell a lot for JFK.
I know what they lost. They were mostly a one or two man show last year. You think JFK should be getting first place votes?

Last edited:
I know what they lost. They were mostly a one or two man show last year. You think JFK should be getting first place votes?
Point is no one knows. Everyone has tests on their schedule that will expose them. That’s why I have no problem with whoever get 1st place votes. Jaws is a loyal man. This week will tell us if he’s on to something or if we should be out of the top 10.

Point is no one knows. Everyone has tests on their schedule that will expose them. That’s why I have no problem with whoever get 1st place votes. Jaws is a loyal man. This week will tell us if he’s on to something or if we should be out of the top 10.
Fair enough. My Cubs have a tough test this week as well with D5 Wynford. We are already down 2 really important players. I believe our starting QB is out for a 3rd straight week and we lost one of our best RBs and starting SS for the season last Friday. We shall see! Good luck!

The next 3 weeks will show how good Newark Catholic is--Columbus Academy, Fort Loramie & Div2 Licking Heights.

If the Wave start 5-0 with the schedule they have played by then - I would say they deserve to be mentioned on the top 10 in Div7. Their starting defense has only given up 7 points in 2 games vs quality opponents Bishop Ready & Nelsonville York--Ready scored on a pick 6 & Nelsonville scored on the JVs during the last minute of a running clock contest.

Marion Local, Warren JFK, Lucas, Lima Central Catholic, Trimble & St Henry - if I had money to bet - are the most likely teams to have a MINIMUM of 7-8 wins & will be found in the top 10 of the Poll at the conclusion of the season.

Last edited:
The next 3 weeks will show how good Newark Catholic is--Columbus Academy, Fort Loramie & Div2 Licking Heights.

If the Wave start 5-0 with the schedule they have played by then - I would say they deserve to be mentioned on the top 10 in Div7. Their starting defense has only given up 7 points in 2 games vs quality opponents Bishop Ready & Nelsonville York--Ready scored on a pick 6 & Nelsonville scored on the JVs during the last minute of a running clock contest.

Marion Local, Warren JFK, Lucas, Lima Central Catholic, Trible & St Henry - if I had money to bet - are the most likely teams to have a MINIMUM of 7-8 wins & will be found in the top 10 of the Poll at the conclusion of the season.
I see them going at least 4-1 after CA, FL & LH. I think Academy and Heights are for sure wins, just based on how good (speed, fundamentals and preparation) the Wave defense is.

FL will be tough, thinking it’s a tossup.

The Homer in me is going to come out: Does everyone on here realize that Marion Local has only lost one time to a D7 school, that was last year to New Bremen. New Bremen brings back a solid core of last years State Championship team. St Henry also brings back 17 or 18 starters from last year. I would put the majority of my money on one of these three teams, and I really don't think anyone can make a logical argument otherwise.

The Homer in me is going to come out: Does everyone on here realize that Marion Local has only lost one time to a D7 school, that was last year to New Bremen. New Bremen brings back a solid core of last years State Championship team. St Henry also brings back 17 or 18 starters from last year. I would put the majority of my money on one of these three teams, and I really don't think anyone can make a logical argument otherwise.
I will put my money on only one of them making it to the Semifinals. The winner of region 28 likely goes on to win the state championship. I was not discounting anyone's greatness from Western Ohio - I mentioned 6 teams I thought were locks for AP top 10 - 3 from that area - I omitted New Bremen by accident. You are not going to have anyone deny Marion Local's greatness-we have matched up with them twice and lost on both occasions. Once was in '03 state semifinal 14-21 & the other was in the '12 state final 21-28 - we had a chance to score from the 10 as time expired - great matchups & the Flyers beat us - along with about everyone else those years.

JFK was tough last year and seem to be picking up where they left off.

Since 2016, Newark Catholic have only lost 3 games to D7 schools - two of the 3 were to the eventual state finalist - the 3rd foe lost in the semifinals.

I will put my money on only one of them making it to the Semifinals. The winner of region 28 likely goes on to win the state championship. I was not discounting anyone's greatness from Western Ohio - I mentioned 6 teams I thought were locks for AP top 10 - 3 from that area - I omitted New Bremen by accident. You are not going to have anyone deny Marion Local's greatness-we have matched up with them twice and lost on both occasions. Once was in '03 state semifinal 14-21 & the other was in the '12 state final 21-28 - we had a chance to score from the 10 as time expired - great matchups & the Flyers beat us - along with about everyone else those years.

JFK was tough last year and seem to be picking up where they left off.

Since 2016, Newark Catholic have only lost 3 games to D7 schools - two of the 3 were to the eventual state finalist - the 3rd foe lo

Newark Catholic didn't go quietly in that D6 final. One amazing stat regarding Marion Local in D7 finals. They have outscored opponents 102 to 6. And those 6 points were a kickoff return by Lucas. So even though MSML is struggling a bit offensively, you can never underestimate what that defense can do, particularly at the D7 level.
st in the semifinal

Newark Catholic didn't go quietly in that D6 final. One amazing stat regarding Marion Local in D7 finals. They have outscored opponents 102 to 6. And those 6 points were a kickoff return by Lucas. So even though MSML is struggling a bit offensively, you can never underestimate what that defense can do, particularly at the D7 level.
I seldom respond to state wide polls as I just don't think I have enough knowledge to be fair to teams outside of the southwest. In the southwest I think this may be the year Marion takes a loss or two. This weeks game vs Versailles will tell how much a misfiring offense may hurt them. For that reason I have St Henry at the top of the three MAC schools, but realize that order could change at any moment. If Marion defeats Versailles I will jump back on the Flyer wagon.

This weeks game for ML will also give a bit more insight into McComb. Was McComb that good, or ML that bad relative to typical? After week 3 many times the clouds part and the actuall makeup of a team becomes apparent.