Division I State Championship: Springfield (13-1) vs. Lakewood St. Edward (13-1)

Who wins?

• St. Edward by 17+

Votes: 10 8.2%
  • St. Edward by 8-16

Votes: 34 27.9%
  • St. Edward by 1-7

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • Springfield by 1-7

Votes: 36 29.5%
  • Springfield by 8-16

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Springfield by 17+

Votes: 5 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
St. Edward has the talent and depth to handle Springfield. Will come down to execution by the kids on both teams.

I think its Lamar Sperling of Hoban's to win. He has been amazing all year.
I can't argue that he is a STUD. But I think the hype that has surrounded Medina and Allar all year will be the tipping point. Even if/when Hoban wins it all. Brungard, Sperling, Smoot, and a few others all are worthy, but only 1 can get it. And I believe it will be Allar. But it's just a prediction.

I can't argue that he is a STUD. But I think the hype that has surrounded Medina and Allar all year will be the tipping point. Even if/when Hoban wins it all. Brungard, Sperling, Smoot, and a few others all are worthy, but only 1 can get it. And I believe it will be Allar. But it's just a prediction.
I think Sperling separates himself because he has the chance to become only the 10th player in OHSAA (needs 187 yards) history to rush for 3k yards. Adding 41 touchdowns. Sheesh...

I think Sperling separates himself because he has the chance to become only the 10th player in OHSAA (needs 187 yards) history to rush for 3k yards. Adding 41 touchdowns. Sheesh...
I respect your opinion. They are both studs and have done amazing things on the football field. So all we can do now is wait till it's announced. Again, I mentioned that there are a few deserving, including Sperling. It's not like I'm saying he doesn't deserve it. I'm just predicting a different winner.

I respect your opinion. They are both studs and have done amazing things on the football field. So all we can do now is wait till it's announced. Again, I mentioned that there are a few deserving, including Sperling. It's not like I'm saying he doesn't deserve it. I'm just predicting a different winner.
Same here, just giving my two scents respectfully. Allar was a pleasure to watch. Seen him multiple times in person and he is as advertise. Shame that he wont end up Buckeye because he is that caliber of player.

Same here, just giving my two scents respectfully. Allar was a pleasure to watch. Seen him multiple times in person and he is as advertise. Shame that he wont end up Buckeye because he is that caliber of player.
He doesn't fit the Pukeye mold. He is like Joe Burrow. They are not the Qb type the Pukeyes want. Aka: Fields, Stroud, B. Miller, Barrett, etc.. Different type of QB. Go Blue!!!

Agreed that Smoot presents an entirely different challenge than Allar, regardless of Allar's superior status as an overall QB. I don't expect Ed's to be able to "erase" him, but Pappas is one of the best in the state at game-planning to limit the oppositions best weapons. Eliminating the big plays should be the approach. As explosive as the Springfield offense can be at times, it appears to me that most of the half-way decent teams the Wildcats have played this year have been able to keep them in the 20-point range (or lower). Springfield may very well be the best defense Ed's has seen this year, but I think the opposite is true as well. Ed's is very strong at the point of attack defensively, and they have a lot of bodies they rotate in on the back seven that keeps legs fresh.
Don’t forget Springfield played 3/4 of their season Without 3 of their starting 4 WRs. Had a stumble against Miamiburg but that was really it. Findlay was a sloppy game for both Teams. When Springfield Offense is Clicking they are On fire. It should be a great Game! Two great teams.

Don’t forget Springfield played 3/4 of their season Without 3 of their starting 4 WRs. Had a stumble against Miamiburg but that was really it. Findlay was a sloppy game for both Teams. When Springfield Offense is Clicking they are On fire. It should be a great Game! Two great teams.
The Miamisburg loss was a blessing in disguise. SHS has played their best ever since. It was perfect timing in week 9.

Losses sometimes are the best thing for a team. We've seen that many times in all sports at all levels.
There's no way to prove this but I really think had that loss not happened, SHS might have been cut down by now. Had they beaten Miamisburg, they would have been rated #1 in the AP poll and undefeated entering the playoffs. That's alot of pressure and a much bigger bullseye on your back as Medina and Marysville will confirm.

Been following Coach Douglass since he was in Dayton. Incredible coach with a proven track record.

2014 2-8
2015 3-7
2016 7-4
2017 6-4
2018 9-3
2019 12-2
2020 8-2 (lost to St. X)
2021 ?

Go Wildcats! Hoping for them to bring back a title to a program starving for a ring!
A starved league too! Centerville is 0-1 and Wayne is 0-4 in D1 state championship games. All 5 teams losing to Cleveland powerhouse Catholic schools. But they did compete well though.

After seeing about this Spurling kid makes me wish Hoban didn’t back out of that game with Springfield early in the season
Yeah, that would have been an interesting game. On the season, Sperling has a per game average of 186 rushing yards and 2.7 touchdowns. Against St. Edward he had 87 rushing yards and no touchdowns.

I would like to see a GWOC school finally get it done. I worry they won't be able to match the discipline and scheming of St. Ed's defense. My head says Ed's by ~10, but it'd be cool to see Springfield close - and it's entirely possible.

Excerpt from Chris Easterling's writeup in The Repository on all the games this weekend.

"Here's who's to watch out for in this game:

Zyion Freer-Brown, St. Edward, linebacker
The captain of what may be one of the best defensive units in the state of Ohio. Freer-Brown has been one of the top playmakers on the Eagles’ stifling defense. In a lot of ways, he epitomizes everything that makes St. Edward’s defense elite. He doesn’t just get his hands on the football through takeaways, with two interceptions, but also turns it into points, with both of those going for TDs. Just as important, if not more, Freer-Brown just knows how to get to the ballcarrier and put him on the ground. Through 15 games, he amassed nearly 130 total tackles and more than 45 solo stops. All of that helped to anchor a defense that only allowed four teams to score more than 14 points, and only one — Cincinnati Moeller — to score more than 18 points, and that happened in overtime.

Jaivian Norman, Springfield, linebacker
The leader of the Wildcats’ defense. The first-team Division I Southwest District selection, Norman leads a defense that allowed just seven total points over its first four playoff games, and just 28 through its entire run to the state title game. Norman has recorded 86 total tackles, with 39 of those being solo stops. He’s also wreaked havoc on opposing quarterbacks with 10 sacks, while forcing two fumbles, recovering one and intercepting one pass.

Christian Ramos, St. Edward, quarterback
The two-year starting quarterback has been a steadying force for the Eagles’ offense. The 6-2, 200-pound Ramos isn’t just your typical pocket passer. He also has the ability to tuck the football and run, and not just when pressured. Read-option plays are a key piece of the St. Edward offense, and Ramos is very effective in executing those plays. He rushed for 523 yards in the regular season, and has added more than 150 yards over their first five playoff games. That’s on top of nearly 2,000 passing yards through the first 10 games that helped him earn Northeast Lakes District Division I Offensive Player of the Year honors. Most notably, in the Eagles’ regional championship game against Medina, Ramos stole the show from the Bees’ Penn State-bound Drew Allar by throwing for 207 yards and three TDs in the 41-6 victory.

Te’Sean Smoot, Springfield, quarterback
Just a dynamic player at the helm of the Wildcats’ offense. Smoot’s performance this season earned him Southwest District Division I Offensive Player of the Year honors. More importantly, it’s earned Springfield its first trip to the state championship game. Through 14 games (the Wildcats had a game cancelled earlier in the season), Smoot has completed 189-of-282 passes for 2,657 yards with 20 TDs and nine interceptions. But wait, there’s more to his game than just his passing. Smoot has run for 960 yards and 22 TDs on 219 carries. In the last two weeks, Smoot has thrown for 648 yards and three TDs, while rushing for 158 yards and three scores. Smoot holds 19 Division I college offers, ranging from FCS schools such as Eastern Kentucky or Fordham to SEC schools such as Kentucky."

Last edited:
Excerpt from Chris Easterling's writeup in The Repository on all the games this weekend.

"Here's who's to watch out for in this game:

Zyion Freer-Brown, St. Edward, linebacker
The captain of what may be one of the best defensive units in the state of Ohio. Freer-Brown has been one of the top playmakers on the Eagles’ stifling defense. In a lot of ways, he epitomizes everything that makes St. Edward’s defense elite. He doesn’t just get his hands on the football through takeaways, with two interceptions, but also turns it into points, with both of those going for TDs. Just as important, if not more, Freer-Brown just knows how to get to the ballcarrier and put him on the ground. Through 15 games, he amassed nearly 130 total tackles and more than 45 solo stops. All of that helped to anchor a defense that only allowed four teams to score more than 14 points, and only one — Cincinnati Moeller — to score more than 18 points, and that happened in overtime.

Jaivian Norman, Springfield, linebacker
The leader of the Wildcats’ defense. The first-team Division I Southwest District selection, Norman leads a defense that allowed just seven total points over its first four playoff games, and just 28 through its entire run to the state title game. Norman has recorded 86 total tackles, with 39 of those being solo stops. He’s also wreaked havoc on opposing quarterbacks with 10 sacks, while forcing two fumbles, recovering one and intercepting one pass.

Christian Ramos, St. Edward, quarterback
The two-year starting quarterback has been a steadying force for the Eagles’ offense. The 6-2, 200-pound Ramos isn’t just your typical pocket passer. He also has the ability to tuck the football and run, and not just when pressured. Read-option plays are a key piece of the St. Edward offense, and Ramos is very effective in executing those plays. He rushed for 523 yards in the regular season, and has added more than 150 yards over their first five playoff games. That’s on top of nearly 2,000 passing yards through the first 10 games that helped him earn Northeast Lakes District Division I Offensive Player of the Year honors. Most notably, in the Eagles’ regional championship game against Medina, Ramos stole the show from the Bees’ Penn State-bound Drew Allar by throwing for 207 yards and three TDs in the 41-6 victory.

Te’Sean Smoot, Springfield, quarterback
Just a dynamic player at the helm of the Wildcats’ offense. Smoot’s performance this season earned him Southwest District Division I Offensive Player of the Year honors. More importantly, it’s earned Springfield its first trip to the state championship game. Through 14 games (the Wildcats had a game cancelled earlier in the season), Smoot has completed 189-of-282 passes for 2,657 yards with 20 TDs and nine interceptions. But wait, there’s more to his game than just his passing. Smoot has run for 960 yards and 22 TDs on 219 carries. In the last two weeks, Smoot has thrown for 648 yards and three TDs, while rushing for 158 yards and three scores. Smoot holds 19 Division I college offers, ranging from FCS schools such as Eastern Kentucky or Fordham to SEC schools such as Kentucky."
Good article but Delian Bradley is the leader of the defense

WILDCATS!!!!!!

Attachments

• 10645071_10155125332637355_9219565653451043315_n.jpg
    10645071_10155125332637355_9219565653451043315_n.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 17
Status
Not open for further replies.